Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369608 times)

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #9250 on: June 05, 2023, 11:19:23 PM »
Thing is the Wolves owners had/have a level of interest in their asset. Lai never has.

Wolves also had a chap with half of the Portuguese league on his books and he was seemingly very interested in relocating quite a few of them to Wolverhampton.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9251 on: June 06, 2023, 07:40:22 AM »
Wolves also had a chap with half of the Portuguese league on his books and he was seemingly very interested in relocating quite a few of them to Wolverhampton.

Also true. Still doing ok without him

BAGGIE5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9252 on: June 06, 2023, 09:24:39 AM »
What happened to that Striker we signed from china. Wasnt Lai meant to pay the money back for this if it didnt come off? I’m sure this signing was done under a cloud.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9253 on: June 06, 2023, 09:49:31 AM »
The only thing I know for sure about this geezer is his given name doesn't need translating into English.

Right now I'd actually take administration if it meant getting him out of our club. He's killed us.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9254 on: June 06, 2023, 10:15:49 AM »
What happened to that Striker we signed from china. Wasnt Lai meant to pay the money back for this if it didnt come off? I’m sure this signing was done under a cloud.

The club never laid out any money on that player.  It was funded directly by Lai apparently.   Obviously he must have still had some money left at that time!

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9255 on: June 06, 2023, 10:24:05 AM »
For any forum members who have a knowledge of China.

How much of an influence would the Chinese authorities have on Lai's abilities to finance WBAFC, including taking out & paying back loans?

Genuine question, because I don't know.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

sing on our own

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9256 on: June 06, 2023, 11:00:08 AM »
The club never laid out any money on that player.  It was funded directly by Lai apparently.   Obviously he must have still had some money left at that time!
That was the official line at the time but it’s been revealed recently that the club did pay the fee not Lai personally. 7 million for someone who wouldn’t get in Quarry Bank Socials team.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9257 on: June 06, 2023, 11:16:20 AM »
Do we still own this player then?
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9258 on: June 06, 2023, 11:16:45 AM »
That was the official line at the time but it’s been revealed recently that the club did pay the fee not Lai personally. 7 million for someone who wouldn’t get in Quarry Bank Socials team.

Where was that revealed please? I don’t recall seeing it

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9259 on: June 06, 2023, 11:20:12 AM »

How much of an influence would the Chinese authorities have on Lai's abilities to finance WBAFC, including taking out & paying back loans?

None, because Lai is neither the owner or the borrower.  Yunyai with its 1000+ investors is the owner, and Wisdom Smart is the borrower.  Wisdom Smart is a HK company, not a Chinese company, and Lai is not a director or shareholder of Wisdom Smart, or of the Chinese company which owns 49% of it.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9260 on: June 06, 2023, 11:21:20 AM »
Do we still own this player then?

No.  And he never met the UK’s work permit requirements.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9261 on: June 06, 2023, 11:25:33 AM »
Where was that revealed please? I don’t recall seeing it

I don’t remember that either, I thought the player was a vanity project wholly funded by Lai which is why we were not bothered
MAGA!

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9262 on: June 06, 2023, 11:26:32 AM »
I don’t remember that either, I thought the player was a vanity project wholly funded by Lai which is why we were not bothered

That’s certainly my understanding too.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9263 on: June 06, 2023, 11:34:29 AM »

I think I can remember Lepkowski querying the claim that Lai had provided the funds for the player personally.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9264 on: June 06, 2023, 12:14:24 PM »

Have conducted a web search, I couldn't find anything to contradict that the restrictions on overseas spending imposed by the CCP regarding Soccer investment are still in force.

Football or Soccer as the rest of the world has it, has been a major embarrassment for President Xi.  Following the haughty predictions for the national team when he got the ball (ahem) rolling in 2015, has come the flop that is always possible with such hubris.  China FC is no further up the world rankings than when he made hi boasts back in 2015.

You can understand why he doesn't want to hear anyone or any media outlets talking about that particular subject.

Xi's method of handling dissenters or anyone who fails or upsets him is to employ his special anti-graft  regulators to attaint them for corruption.  So the president of the national soccer federation, a national coach and an education ministry official who over-promised on soccer in schools are among those who have been arrested.

Xi doesn't want to hear about football so it's not surprising that Mr Guochuan is keeping his head down on that front especially as the real estate boom and bust is another potential embarassment. 

In 2010 there were 20 European clubs owned by Chinese investors.  In 2020 there were 10.

Selling at a big loss would be a humiliation for Lai Guochuan.
 Maybe a bigger humiliation would be just the threat of an indictment against him in the UK. 
Maybe a Gulf state will be tempted.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9265 on: June 06, 2023, 12:17:29 PM »
Have conducted a web search, I couldn't find anything to contradict that the restrictions on overseas spending imposed by the CCP regarding Soccer investment are still in force.

Football or Soccer as the rest of the world has it, has been a major embarrassment for President Xi.  Following the haughty predictions for the national team when he got the ball (ahem) rolling in 2015, has come the flop that is always possible with such hubris.  China FC is no further up the world rankings than when he made hi boasts back in 2015.

You can understand why he doesn't want to hear anyone or any media outlets talking about that particular subject.

Xi's method of handling dissenters or anyone who fails or upsets him is to employ his special anti-graft  regulators to attaint them for corruption.  So the president of the national soccer federation, a national coach and an education ministry official who over-promised on soccer in schools are among those who have been arrested.

Xi doesn't want to hear about football so it's not surprising that Mr Guochuan is keeping his head down on that front especially as the real estate boom and bust is another potential embarassment. 

In 2010 there were 20 European clubs owned by Chinese investors.  In 2020 there were 10.

Selling at a big loss would be a humiliation for Lai Guochuan.
 Maybe a bigger humiliation would be just the threat of an indictment against him in the UK. 
Maybe a Gulf state will be tempted.

What would any “indictment” be for?  There’s no evidence of any criminal activity as far as I am aware, just breach of fiduciary by Ken, a UK resident, which is a civil matter, not criminal.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9266 on: June 06, 2023, 12:27:16 PM »
I agree I was racking my brains for a word here.  How about Embezzlement?

"Embezzlement is a type of financial fraud where someone takes money or assets that were entrusted to them and uses them for a different purpose than for what they were intended."

It was a long post.  Can't get it all right.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 12:29:26 PM by NJS »
Hales Owen born. 

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9267 on: June 06, 2023, 12:31:06 PM »
Embezzlement?

"Embezzlement is a type of financial fraud where someone takes money or assets that were entrusted to them and uses them for a different purpose than for what they were intended."

What has “he” taken?  The director of Group made a loan to a company. The director sanctioned that loan (breach of fiduciary duty by him), not Lai.  The loan could not be made by anybody other than the board of Group - which is Ken alone.

I think you need to be very careful indeed suggesting “embezzlement”. 

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9268 on: June 06, 2023, 12:38:15 PM »
I seem to recall this Chinese player being lent to a German club, Werder Bremen I think, but he was out the door there quicker than Ollie Burke.  Maybe Lai thought a high profile Chinese player in Europe was good for his business. Fair to say he wasn't high profile though.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9269 on: June 06, 2023, 12:46:27 PM »

What has “he” taken?  The director of Group made a loan to a company. The director sanctioned that loan (breach of fiduciary duty by him), not Lai.  The loan could not be made by anybody other than the board of Group - which is Ken alone.

I think you need to be very careful indeed suggesting “embezzlement”.

I didn't suggest.  I asked.  You answered - thanks.
Hales Owen born. 

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9270 on: June 06, 2023, 01:01:15 PM »
I seem to recall this Chinese player being lent to a German club, Werder Bremen I think, but he was out the door there quicker than Ollie Burke.  Maybe Lai thought a high profile Chinese player in Europe was good for his business. Fair to say he wasn't high profile though.

Zhang Yuning. Looks like the kind of goalscorer we need at the moment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhang_Yuning_(footballer,_born_1997)
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9271 on: June 06, 2023, 01:15:03 PM »

The problem is that Lai has removed money from the club ‘legally’, insofar that it has been disclosed, we all know about it, and he has promised to pay it back. The fact that he has not does not put it in the criminal arena. At best he can be considered for some civil offence under company law for failing to pay it back. That is likely to involve a financial penalty and not much else.
That for me is why the Pereira funds question is in the S4A document. If it can subsequently be proven that money has gone missing in some shady deal then he has problems.

At the bottom of all this I just hope that we are all square with HMRC
MAGA!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9272 on: June 06, 2023, 03:07:24 PM »

I always thought that was where the 'Palm Training Ground' sponsorship money went. Not ITK at all, just seemed the most likely way of injecting short term cash.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Ronnie Allen

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #9273 on: June 06, 2023, 05:58:09 PM »

I don’t have a knowledge of China, but I’m interested in what’s happening with Lai and co. I found this which might be interesting and which largely confirms what I thought was happening.
https://urbanpitch.com/why-chinese-money-is-drying-up-in-the-british-game/ One aspect of what’s happening I hadn’t factored in was that Chinese investors were using the acquisition of European football clubs as a way of laundering money out of China. You buy a club, wait a few years, then sell it, even at a loss, and the money finds its way into a no questions asked bank somewhere on the planet and hey presto there’s your nest egg in case China becomes a bit too restrictive.

What’s clear is that there isn’t a snowball’s chance in hell that we’ll see any money coming into the club from the owners. They’re acting like textbook private equity owners trying to gouge as much money out of the club as they can. The £20m loan just reinforces that opinion. I’m not optimistic for the near and medium term.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9274 on: June 06, 2023, 06:09:59 PM »
Joe Chapman
@ChapmanJ92
🚨 Breaking: S4A confirm that Ken has not answered any questions before the set deadline. They are now looking to take ‘all legal and regulatory action necessary to protect the future of the club and prevent further use of the club’s money’. #wba

Statement - live soon - adds that S4A have been ‘misled’ on three occasions previously re the club’s money. Also disappointed by the lack of intervention from EFL and they support the idea of a football regulator. They have cast doubt over #wba ability to replace Ron Gourlay.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 06:13:31 PM by gazberg »