Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369593 times)

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #9200 on: May 31, 2023, 12:22:34 PM »
Not sure there's "actual evidence", there were accusations, that were verified by Dowling.

Agree, the accusations caused serious doubt about the honesty of our owners, but if there was evidence, I would have thought actions would have brought against Lai from both football & government authorities.

Perhaps S4A, or a legal entity representing them have spoken to Al Hilal, so already know the answer to the question
MAGA!

Albionfan1983

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9201 on: May 31, 2023, 02:08:15 PM »
Pereira had the club over a barrel when he found out that was being set up.  At that point he could effectively force a sale to wherever he wanted to get the most money.  Whilst he had time left on his contract I don’t think we had a leg to stand on (in reality) if we had refused him a sale to Saudi and made him stay or take a much lower wage with a sale to a PL club for what he was really worth.

The whole sale was dodgy. We should have held out for £25-30 Million

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9202 on: May 31, 2023, 07:46:45 PM »
All other threads are irrelevant until this bloke's intentions are sorted.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9203 on: May 31, 2023, 08:10:36 PM »
The whole sale was dodgy. We should have held out for £25-30 Million

In normal circumstances yes, but as I said Pereira had the club over a barrel because of what Lai allegedly attempted.  He held all the aces and the club knew it.  No position to take a stance from.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9204 on: May 31, 2023, 08:11:53 PM »
In normal circumstances yes, but as I said Pereira had the club over a barrel because of what Lai allegedly attempted.  He held all the aces and the club knew it.  No position to take a stance from.

You are speculating and yet sound completely convinced of your guesswork. Pereira was under a long term contract - how exactly did he have the club over a barrel?

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9205 on: May 31, 2023, 08:12:28 PM »
At this point its really just a case of waiting for him to leave and hoping that the damage isn't too disastrous.

Unfortunately its difficult to see a situation of them leaving willingly given they've already rejected much better offers than their ever going to get going forward, and the club will become increasingly worthless going forward.

The hope then I guess is that we get some decent owners for the first time ever, because more dodgy owners coming in directly after would really be a finisher.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9206 on: May 31, 2023, 08:37:49 PM »
You are speculating and yet sound completely convinced of your guesswork. Pereira was under a long term contract - how exactly did he have the club over a barrel?

Because of the attempted skullduggery of selling him in an illegal deal.  Almost certainly a breach of contract by the club which might even have enabled him to tear up his contract.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9207 on: May 31, 2023, 09:49:16 PM »
Because of the attempted skullduggery of selling him in an illegal deal.  Almost certainly a breach of contract by the club which might even have enabled him to tear up his contract.

Yeah right, he wasn’t sold and all the terms of his contract were adhered to. As horrendous as that story was of the transfer games that were being contemplated it didn’t affect the validity of the players contract with the club. The dodgy deal never got off the ground as the agent it was put to refused to even pitch it.

The reality is that the board / owner couldn’t wait to sell. That is how the January story arose to begin with, they were scheming. Who knows what really went on with the actual summer transfer, but clearly the owner had the clubs interest a long way down from his own financial interest.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9208 on: May 31, 2023, 10:17:10 PM »
Yeah right, he wasn’t sold and all the terms of his contract were adhered to. As horrendous as that story was of the transfer games that were being contemplated it didn’t affect the validity of the players contract with the club. The dodgy deal never got off the ground as the agent it was put to refused to even pitch it.

The reality is that the board / owner couldn’t wait to sell. That is how the January story arose to begin with, they were scheming. Who knows what really went on with the actual summer transfer, but clearly the owner had the clubs interest a long way down from his own financial interest.

I can’t go into details but I’m happy to agree to disagree

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9209 on: June 01, 2023, 10:55:56 AM »
I think and sincerely hope we've entered the end game of our current ownership. If so here's hoping it's not a case of out of the wok and into a raging inferno of a car crash.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

sing on our own

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9210 on: June 01, 2023, 11:02:26 AM »
This may sound harsh and I’m not digging anyone out personally but (imo) anyone who hands money over for season tickets or merchandise while he’s here are part of the problem. Empty ground for a couple of games would force his hand big time. I appreciate people go for the social side and see friends they only see at the football but you could still meet and have a beer. The players wouldn’t care walking out to an empty ground, I know some would prefer it how toxic the ground been of late.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9211 on: June 01, 2023, 11:16:32 AM »
I don't think the atmosphere at the Hawthorns was particularly toxic, this was probably helped by the home form. Not exactly electric but certainly not toxic during Carlos's tenure. Could you point to a home fixture since he's been here where the atmosphere was toxic please?

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9212 on: June 01, 2023, 11:20:24 AM »
This may sound harsh and I’m not digging anyone out personally but (imo) anyone who hands money over for season tickets or merchandise while he’s here are part of the problem. Empty ground for a couple of games would force his hand big time. I appreciate people go for the social side and see friends they only see at the football but you could still meet and have a beer. The players wouldn’t care walking out to an empty ground, I know some would prefer it how toxic the ground been of late.

I will be renewing my ST regardless, like many others we cling on to the faint hope that Elon Musk will buy us and we will be entertaining Barcelona within a couple of years time.

Seriously though, I don't see an empty stadium forcing his hand at all; he doesn't care. The big money that he wanted is in the league above. I don't bother with the merchandise though, my little way of not supporting his regime. Today I was offered last years 2nd away strip (the red one) for a bargain £35. Make it £10 and you might shift some, but that is taking the Michael.
MAGA!

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Carlos Corberan
« Reply #9213 on: June 01, 2023, 11:28:28 AM »
Looks like Leeds have bad owners just like us !

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticFC/status/1664216225109377025

Exclusive: Leeds United’s chairman Andrea Radrizzani offered to use the club’s Elland Road stadium as security for a £26m bank loan which his company, Aser, and a bidding partner, Gestio Capital, intended to use to complete a takeover of Sampdoria.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9214 on: June 01, 2023, 11:32:16 AM »
If Elon Musk bought us he'd sack all the players off and run out to games as a one man rush back goalie team and if we didn't like it he'd be happy to lock us all out and play games with himself so to speak  ;D .

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

Re: Re: Carlos Corberan
« Reply #9215 on: June 01, 2023, 11:38:11 AM »
Looks like Leeds have bad owners just like us !

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticFC/status/1664216225109377025

Exclusive: Leeds United’s chairman Andrea Radrizzani offered to use the club’s Elland Road stadium as security for a £26m bank loan which his company, Aser, and a bidding partner, Gestio Capital, intended to use to complete a takeover of Sampdoria.

And people (who are right) think Lai is a letter removed from a word beginning with C  ;D .

sing on our own

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9216 on: June 01, 2023, 11:47:35 AM »
I don't think the atmosphere at the Hawthorns was particularly toxic, this was probably helped by the home form. Not exactly electric but certainly not toxic during Carlos's tenure. Could you point to a home fixture since he's been here where the atmosphere was toxic please?
booing the team off at half time in most games and FT. Millwall the loudest and Sunderland. Groans every time the players pass back and try and keep possession. Sam Johnstone had his best spell during lockdown I think that speaks volumes. Maybe toxic was a bit strong, sh*te would have been better.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9217 on: June 01, 2023, 11:54:48 AM »
booing the team off at half time in most games and FT. Millwall the loudest and Sunderland. Groans every time the players pass back and try and keep possession. Sam Johnstone had his best spell during lockdown I think that speaks volumes. Maybe toxic was a bit strong, sh*te would have been better.

I think toxic was a gross over exaggeration as opposed to strong. I agree there have been games when I've seen more life at a wake though  ;D .

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #9218 on: June 01, 2023, 01:12:10 PM »
and i thought it was all roses when i collected my  free beer & scarf
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9219 on: June 01, 2023, 01:13:42 PM »
and i thought it was all roses when i collected my  free beer & scarf

Did he use his own money or the clubs to pay for that ?

OhBilics

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9220 on: June 01, 2023, 01:17:59 PM »
All other threads are irrelevant until this bloke's intentions are sorted.
I think his actions have shown us what his intentions are!
#BOGOLO

PHP developer for hire. Apply within.

Ross

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9221 on: June 01, 2023, 10:07:06 PM »
Action for Albion has been great in uniting the fans and giving us a voice

However, the fact remains, unless Lai gets an offer waayyyy above the current market value, he isn’t going anywhere.

Not a very attractive proposition with no parachute payment revenue, a £20m loan hanging over our head and a rudderless operation.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9222 on: June 01, 2023, 10:17:16 PM »
We're Birmingham City/Carson Yeung mark 2.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9223 on: June 01, 2023, 11:32:48 PM »
We're Birmingham City/Carson Yeung mark 2.

I broadly agree. The light at the end of the tunnel may turn out to be the complete financial collapse of the club and having to start again in the lower leagues. Just as much chance of that if not more, than promotion to the premiership any time soon.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9224 on: June 02, 2023, 07:55:28 AM »
I think his actions have shown us what his intentions are!

OK, I meant his intentions regarding keeping or selling the club and if the latter at what time and/or price.
It's possible he will investigate ways of getting cash out of Group and sell when he has exhausted his options.  These options are narrowing because MSD has creditor precedence but he may feel that there are a few other ways to extract value.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes