Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369624 times)

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #8475 on: December 24, 2022, 03:19:29 PM »
Because as a businessman it's better to lose 40-50m than 100m surely?

If he takes out loans to keep the lights on then it's value will decrease and he will rue the day he turned down the chance to take a 50m loss over a 150m loss.

Ultimately taking a hit may not be his decision alone. Even if he wants to, he may have to convince the other stakeholders to share the hit with him, and I imagine that they will be less than impressed at this idea.
MAGA!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8476 on: December 24, 2022, 03:22:34 PM »
Because as a businessman it's better to lose 40-50m than 100m surely?

If he takes out loans to keep the lights on then it's value will decrease and he will rue the day he turned down the chance to take a 50m loss over a 150m loss.

It would be better for businesspronouns to do a bit of homework before parting with their money.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8477 on: December 24, 2022, 05:02:23 PM »
It would be better for businesspronouns to do a bit of homework before parting with their money.

That would be considered a given normally but seems not with Lai

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8478 on: December 24, 2022, 05:03:24 PM »
Ultimately taking a hit may not be his decision alone. Even if he wants to, he may have to convince the other stakeholders to share the hit with him, and I imagine that they will be less than impressed at this idea.

I know it's not his decision alone but if they are holding on for pride or belief they can improve things here, based on their 6 years ownership to date i don't think there will be anything left in 6 years.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8479 on: December 24, 2022, 05:21:55 PM »

I know it's not his decision alone but if they are holding on for pride or belief they can improve things here, based on their 6 years ownership to date i don't think there will be anything left in 6 years.

Vital not to under-estimate the importance of “face” in Chinese culture.  Biting the bullet and crystallising a loss is not easy in that culture.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8480 on: December 24, 2022, 05:42:30 PM »
Vital not to under-estimate the importance of “face” in Chinese culture.  Biting the bullet and crystallising a loss is not easy in that culture.

That's what i mean. Pride is the downfall of many a human and i know it's part of their culture which doesn't bode well for us.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8481 on: December 24, 2022, 06:44:32 PM »
Although he is a total financially inept numpty at best, you can never say that he has done to us what that lifelong West Brom fan who was Born and bred in West Brom has done to us.

I had no ill will towards Lai a village idiot like, as anyone can be duped into a transaction where they think it is a no lose situation and the books look good, but the moment he started taking money we generated on the pitch, that totally changed and I wish he would just move to another country where him mot losing face isn't issue for him and get out before the reported offers for disappear completely.

Only a CC miracle can save us now, but even then will he sell as he will never get £200m back, and he didn't accept the last time we were in the prem.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 12:26:17 AM by BalisPen »

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #8482 on: December 24, 2022, 06:46:02 PM »
Has he gone yet? If so, a great Christmas present to us all.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8483 on: December 24, 2022, 08:21:32 PM »
I think it's fair to say there is no coming back from this for Lai with the fan base
COYB
Enjoy your Christmas folks and see lots of you in Brizzle
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

tex

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8484 on: December 24, 2022, 08:33:52 PM »
Since he never turns up he probably doesn't care anyway. I don't see how this will end, he wants to recoup most of his money and there is very little chance of that happening. if he drives us into bankruptcy he loses all his investment. 

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8485 on: December 24, 2022, 08:39:46 PM »
Since he never turns up he probably doesn't care anyway. I don't see how this will end, he wants to recoup most of his money and there is very little chance of that happening. if he drives us into bankruptcy he loses all his investment. 

This is what I don’t understand regarding this. If we go into administration surely Lai loses everything? It is clear there is interest in America for us as it would appear that the same person or group have tried to buy us twice. Would it not be wise now for lai to except thier 50 million offer that the telegraph mentioned recently and move on. I know lai though will then lost the investors behind the scenes millions so I assume this is the issue ?

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8486 on: December 25, 2022, 11:44:38 AM »
This season is his last chance to get as much money back as possible. I see him clinging on until the end of the season, in a hope we achieve the miracle of promotion. It's a massive gamble, because if we don't go up he is completely scr*wed. £1m's will hemorrhage from the value of the club week by week, and he will have to decide whether he takes us down with him.

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8487 on: December 26, 2022, 09:51:31 AM »
We do have some young saleable British assets that would raise a reasonable sum so maybe the loan gives us a couple more years to retain this squad or at least the better ones and with a few wise additions and under a decent coach gives us a reasonable chance of promotion which would give Lai the chance to maybe sell at a more reasonable loss
That’s the hope I’m clinging to but the sooner he his gone the better
Whilst wishing for a sugar daddy I don’t think we are a club who would appeal but someone who is at least going to run it with a long term vision to self sustain with a small amount invested is viable

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8488 on: December 26, 2022, 02:41:25 PM »
this season is our last hope.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8489 on: December 26, 2022, 02:49:22 PM »
WBA Twitter taking bets on what the honourable, innocent victim Laiwill use as an excuse will be for not paying it back, i'm sure he will of course  :-X

Personal favourites so far:

The dog ate it

WBA are a self-sustained club so dont need it back.

We are investigating the 2014 loan so we can't do anything until that is sorted.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8490 on: December 26, 2022, 05:50:59 PM »
This will probably never happen, but the only way he doesn't lose face is if China invades Taiwan, and the UK government  strips Chinese owners of their assets here, like they did with Chelsea.

We just have to hope he has close links to the Chinese hierarchy for this to happen.

mateinone

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8491 on: December 26, 2022, 06:51:53 PM »
I have no time for Lai whatsoever and rue the day that he ever made contact with the club. What I will say though is that I have some understanding of why he has refused offers to buy him out for a value way below that which he paid. Why would he do that? Again this is not support of the man in any way but maybe just a little context. Because of this I cannot see any way in which he leaves in the near future.

For the same reason it is better to sell shares you have lost money on if the diagnostics suggest the price will continue to tumble. Lai has proven terrible at being the owner of a Football Club, there have been subpar appointments all the way and now he seems to be hanging onto a prayer we are promoted, but if we are not, he will have lost even more money.

He needs to understand this and get out of the club asap, for his sake and ours

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8492 on: December 26, 2022, 08:14:57 PM »
For the same reason it is better to sell shares you have lost money on if the diagnostics suggest the price will continue to tumble. Lai has proven terrible at being the owner of a Football Club, there have been subpar appointments all the way and now he seems to be hanging onto a prayer we are promoted, but if we are not, he will have lost even more money.

He needs to understand this and get out of the club asap, for his sake and ours

That’s not the way that “face” works in Chinese culture

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8493 on: December 28, 2022, 07:57:01 PM »
One of the worst owners (or majority shareholder if you will) in modern football history.

Lepkowski has just done a quick blast through Lai's 6 years here on Twitter. Awful.

Buys control of the club and turns his back on it.

Puts zero effort in. Leaves the running of it to other people. Peace watched it like a hawk and was involved in everything, it was in his interest to do so. 

"They (WBA) inherited a copycat, who wanted to do little to grow the club - only his own portfolio." CL on Lai.

Gave Hammond too much say, listened to Peace about who to appoint. (The first massive red flag in hindsight for me)

Appointed Luke Dowling who NOBODY wanted. Dowling then also had too much say and gave out contracts to players that benefitted them, NOT WBA. (Yes they are still here)

This is of course the very simplified version of his time here. It's been a disaster from start to, what could be, the finish down the line in a few years.

Orlando Astle

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #8494 on: December 28, 2022, 09:16:57 PM »
That’s not the way that “face” works in Chinese culture
In European terms read "ego"

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8495 on: December 30, 2022, 03:00:12 PM »
24 hours left before the club issue the statement on whether he paid the loan back or not.

As a self-proclaimed man of honour will be interesting to see what happens.

tex

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8496 on: December 30, 2022, 04:30:31 PM »
there is not going to be any statement from the club, that way we get to wait until july 2024 to find out of it was paid back.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8497 on: December 30, 2022, 04:43:33 PM »
there is not going to be any statement from the club, that way we get to wait until july 2024 to find out of it was paid back.

That would be very poor of the club to not release a statement either way. You are probably right though.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8498 on: December 30, 2022, 05:05:25 PM »

From the latest Albion Assembly minutes......

Guochuan Lai Loan

RG started his update by saying he had been assured by Guochuan Lai that the £4.95million loan owed to the football club by Wisdom Smart will be repaid by the revised deadline of December 31, 2022. He said he has made it clear in board meetings, including those prior to the publication of Albion’s accounts in June, that this debt must be repaid so it can be reinvested. RG also stated that supporters will be informed when the loan is repaid, and reassured members that no money will leave the club in the same way while he is Chief Executive.

In regards to recent fan protests, RG praised the passion shown by supporters, said he understood their frustration and added that he hopes the repayment of the loan will allay some of their fears.

IMO, it's not in the club's interests to disclose exactly how much money we have available for the January transfer window, so we might not hear anything until after the transfer window closes.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #8499 on: December 30, 2022, 08:45:35 PM »
If he doesn't pay, he is a man without honour.