Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369691 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #7925 on: April 21, 2022, 03:30:08 PM »
I haven't got a "continually junk bordering upon toxic" folder
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7926 on: April 21, 2022, 03:33:43 PM »
I completed a questionnaire and was quite scathing about the ownership simply because it's how I feel. Lai and his appointments are ruining this club.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7927 on: April 21, 2022, 06:17:21 PM »
Breaking news Sheffield United subject £115m bid which is now referred to the EFL. I think this is the absolute maximum a Championship club can go for. Obviously every club is different but there is one very significant difference that Sheffield's owner is probably selling at a profit ours is not.

I still can't see why anybody would pay this much for any Championship club but there it is another rich fool suckered into the 2nd hand glamour of football*

(*Not really that much glamour on offer on a wet Tuesday night at your typical Championship game but ...)
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7928 on: April 22, 2022, 11:21:43 AM »
I completed a questionnaire and was quite scathing about the ownership simply because it's how I feel. Lai and his appointments are ruining this club.

I'd love the job of reading through those questionnaire responses. I can imagine some of the answers would make for epic entertainment  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7929 on: May 23, 2022, 11:08:58 AM »
Burnley FC seems to be in big trouble following relegation.  The £65M that the new US owners put in has come with strings attached; they have the right to recover (by any means?) the loan back by earlier repayments in the event of relegation.  Owners making large loans can produce a perilous situation for any club. 
I think it shows that however bad we think our owners are  - there could be worse.  I wouldn't want Guochuan and Co injecting more money into our club by way of a loan.   
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7930 on: May 23, 2022, 11:33:03 AM »
Burnley contract says they can repay interest only.on the 65m loan until 2025 at which point capital must start to be repaid.

In the event of relegation however the capital must start to be repaid by a significant amount each season they remain outside the PL.

No actual figures are given but would imagine they are going to need to pay 20m back this season at least or 1 Nick Pope sale etc

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7931 on: May 23, 2022, 12:27:28 PM »
Burnley contract says they can repay interest only.on the 65m loan until 2025 at which point capital must start to be repaid.

In the event of relegation however the capital must start to be repaid by a significant amount each season they remain outside the PL.

No actual figures are given but would imagine they are going to need to pay 20m back this season at least or 1 Nick Pope sale etc

The could just refinance away from that deal and onto another interest only deal or at least part amortisation.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7932 on: May 23, 2022, 12:33:14 PM »
The could just refinance away from that deal and onto another interest only deal or at least part amortisation.

I only saw a part of it on Twitter. Think it was on Lepkowskis somewhere. Maybe now they are relegated there is some clause forbidding it. I don't know though.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7933 on: May 23, 2022, 02:09:14 PM »

I guess they could but they would probably have to put up something as collateral.  I don't know how attractive an EFL outfit is to financiers these days - that would maybe determine the interest rate.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7934 on: May 23, 2022, 04:54:58 PM »
 I wouldn't necessarily criticise the owner over money provided we paid about 15M for Burke and 30M plus for Grant and Diagana.
What worries me about the sale of Rondon and Pereira under seemingly strange circumstances and the fact he employs people who take the easy option of renewing contracts of current players rather than studying the market for hopefully quick young players who are likely to provide the skills needed to have a good team.
The top  teams such as Man City and Liverpool can virtually sign who they want and as we we are one of the bigger clubs we should have the pick of players at a level capable of playing at championship and hopefully premiership level.

Ronnie Allen

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #7935 on: May 23, 2022, 05:42:07 PM »

Or to put it even more starkly, imagine being relegated and having to still pay for that £65m striker you splashed out on just before relegation! Except in this case you can’t sell the player on - you’re stuck with the debt. And there never was a player.

A big wedge of Burnley’s parachute money is going to go on repaying this debt, meaning their ability to be competitive enough to bounce straight back will be compromised. If the creditors enforce this repayment too robustly, I fear for Burnley’s future.

This is why I get the chills when people keep calling for Lai to go. For all his faults, he didn’t load the club with debt when he bought. Of course, he might now wish he had! But if/when he sells, it’s not stretching imagination to see him selling to some private equity outfit who do secure the purchase price against the club’s assets and future earnings.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7936 on: May 23, 2022, 05:48:58 PM »
Or to put it even more starkly, imagine being relegated and having to still pay for that £65m striker you splashed out on just before relegation! Except in this case you can’t sell the player on - you’re stuck with the debt. And there never was a player.

A big wedge of Burnley’s parachute money is going to go on repaying this debt, meaning their ability to be competitive enough to bounce straight back will be compromised. If the creditors enforce this repayment too robustly, I fear for Burnley’s future.

This is why I get the chills when people keep calling for Lai to go. For all his faults, he didn’t load the club with debt when he bought. Of course, he might now wish he had! But if/when he sells, it’s not stretching imagination to see him selling to some private equity outfit who do secure the purchase price against the club’s assets and future earnings.

I dont think Burnley are doomed as such but i agree with what you say. Their parachute payments edge has basically been wiped out. Combined with 9 senior players out of contract soon although i believe Ben Mee they have a 1 year option on. They are going to have work hard and frugally.

Pope has 1 year left so i imagine he will be gone but they won't get as much as they'd like for him with 1 year left

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7937 on: May 23, 2022, 06:46:20 PM »

I don't think there will be any impact on the capital involved, but the repayment clause suggests that the original loan was relatively low cost.
Due to the risks involved, refinancing would likely be at much higher interest rates, (probably around 9%) so theres likely to be an interest charge of around £6 million.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7938 on: May 23, 2022, 09:21:52 PM »
Sounds complicated, it means we are screwed either way.

mateinone

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7939 on: June 23, 2022, 11:01:07 AM »
We are a shadow of the club we were under Peace's ownership. I know a large percentage of people hated him and I hated that we seemed to lack ambition to become a regular top half of the prem club, but... the situation has been awful from the moment he walked away and I would rather it was him in control in a heartbeat.

The club has been a mess and I don't hold out particularly high hopes that we will win promotion this season either.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7940 on: June 23, 2022, 11:14:05 AM »
We are a shadow of the club we were under Peace's ownership. I know a large percentage of people hated him and I hated that we seemed to lack ambition to become a regular top half of the prem club, but... the situation has been awful from the moment he walked away and I would rather it was him in control in a heartbeat.

The club has been a mess and I don't hold out particularly high hopes that we will win promotion this season either.

Amen. When Lai took over my concern was not that he said the club will be self-sufficient but the fact he was totally hands off.

Said it many times no one ever care about someone's else's investment other than the owner themselves.

What took nearly 20 years to build Lai oversaw the destruction of in 5

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7941 on: June 26, 2022, 11:44:01 AM »
Accounts for 20/21 season are due out this week.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7942 on: June 26, 2022, 11:51:15 AM »
Accounts for 20/21 season are due out this week.

Cue a stream of posts suggesting we don't spend anything, we've historically wasted what money we have spent and at least half a dozen to suggest we're being systematically run into the ground for the purpose of asset stripping. Can't wait......

staticboy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #7943 on: July 08, 2022, 01:17:23 PM »

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7944 on: July 08, 2022, 01:49:57 PM »
Here we go again, a further £2m...

https://www.westbromnews.co.uk/2022/07/08/west-brom-confirm-another-loan-as-financial-accounts-finally-made-public/

Is this the £2M that was reported on the other day being rehashed or is it another £2M on top of the other one taking us to £14M in total and not £12M? I'm losing track......

staticboy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #7945 on: July 08, 2022, 02:35:01 PM »
Oh sorry dude, I didn't realise they had already reported the £2m, this is probably already reported then.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7946 on: July 21, 2022, 08:18:37 AM »
West Brom fans bid to stop quick sale of The Hawthorns

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-hubs/sandwell/west-bromwich/2022/07/20/west-brom-fans-bid-to-stop-quick-sale-of-the-hawthorns/

As mentioned earlier in this thread, we have to take every measure available to protect “The Shrine”
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #7947 on: July 21, 2022, 08:35:20 AM »
I’ll post the link on Tuesday if I remember and we’ll able to watch the discussion

The ground sale is a big concern of mine at present. No football club should be selling their home.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7948 on: July 22, 2022, 09:13:35 PM »
Picking up a bit of traction now.

Politicians on all sides back plan to protect The Hawthorns from a quick sale

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-hubs/sandwell/2022/07/22/political-consensus-quickly-backs-plan-to-protect-the-hawthorns-from-a-quick-sale/

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7949 on: July 22, 2022, 09:40:02 PM »
I’ll post the link on Tuesday if I remember and we’ll able to watch the discussion

The ground sale is a big concern of mine at present. No football club should be selling their home.
I am not unaware of the emotional attachment, but the truth is it’s not and never has been”our ground”, it will always be the owners/majority shareholders…
There are many a club that have sold there stadium ,moved and done ok since,Bournemouth,Brighton,Man City etc.
Many on here have spoken before about the need to expand if we want to actually become a big club,that’s without even mentioning the surround area…imagine being a Hertha Berlin fan tomorrow and having to endure either the waggon and horses or a lucozade from Greg’s.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..