Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369528 times)

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #6925 on: February 20, 2021, 02:10:44 PM »
I think the fact we more than held our own under his leadership whilst also looking at the academy he oversaw and made sure was funded was excellent.

Paul Thompson was excellent also, but he was 5-6 years before our most successful times, don’t think he can be attributed to anything that happened so long after.

JP put a good team around him. Another excellent bit of work by him.

I don’t begrudge him the money he got for the club, he was a successful chairman for us

I agree, at the helm for our most successful period for 30-35 years and this was 10 years after Thompson had left.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6926 on: February 20, 2021, 06:09:00 PM »
I agree, at the helm for our most successful period for 30-35 years and this was 10 years after Thompson had left.
But we won nothing. No trophies in the cabinet. Just fleeting moments in a League we could never win. He then sells to the highest bidder for more than we’re worth, from an unpredictable part of the world, politically wise, and we’re left with the buyer being told by their government that being top of the football ladder is no longer a priority. Jez was in the right place, at the right time. Fair do’s. That’s capitalism. He’s sorted. I don’t think he really cares about our predicament. All he remembers, is no trophies, but enough money to keep Jersey afloat.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6927 on: February 20, 2021, 06:37:23 PM »
But we won nothing. No trophies in the cabinet. Just fleeting moments in a League we could never win. He then sells to the highest bidder for more than we’re worth, from an unpredictable part of the world, politically wise, and we’re left with the buyer being told by their government that being top of the football ladder is no longer a priority. Jez was in the right place, at the right time. Fair do’s. That’s capitalism. He’s sorted. I don’t think he really cares about our predicament. All he remembers, is no trophies, but enough money to keep Jersey afloat.

If we are going to judge people by trophies then everyone has failed at West Brom for over 50 years.

I still can’t get my head around fans not expecting him to sell to the highest bidder, cloud cuckoo land thinking he’s going to give up £50m.

Like I’ve said before, it’s easy to tell other people what to do with their money.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6928 on: February 20, 2021, 11:03:00 PM »
If we are going to judge people by trophies then everyone has failed at West Brom for over 50 years.

I still can’t get my head around fans not expecting him to sell to the highest bidder, cloud cuckoo land thinking he’s going to give up £50m.

Like I’ve said before, it’s easy to tell other people what to do with their money.
And as an Albion fan, how have you benefited? I know some guy has left us with more money than he needs, and left us in the lurch.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

baggieboy79

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #6929 on: February 21, 2021, 11:27:35 AM »
It looks like the Chinese Government has all but given up hope of hosting the World Cup and they've advised Lai and others to get rid of their investment. WBA, Wolves & Southampton have majority shareholders.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.footballinsider247.com/west-brom-maguire-cultural-shift-in-china-leads-lai-to-pull-plug-on-wba/amp/

The Tank

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #6930 on: February 21, 2021, 12:13:12 PM »
What happened to the office in London where, bizarrely, the AGMs were held.  Or was it only rented.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6931 on: February 21, 2021, 12:23:59 PM »
What happened to the office in London where, bizarrely, the AGMs were held.  Or was it only rented.
I've no idea about the office, but the AGMs were held in London (usually starting at 9.00am as I recall) to discourage people from attending.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6932 on: February 21, 2021, 12:30:20 PM »
It looks like the Chinese Government has all but given up hope of hosting the World Cup and they've advised Lai and others to get rid of their investment. WBA, Wolves & Southampton have majority shareholders.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.footballinsider247.com/west-brom-maguire-cultural-shift-in-china-leads-lai-to-pull-plug-on-wba/amp/

China’s interpretation of “advise” is different to ours.  “Instruct” would be a better interpretation!   

baggieboy79

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #6933 on: February 21, 2021, 01:05:38 PM »
China’s interpretation of “advise” is different to ours.  “Instruct” would be a better interpretation!

Haha yes that sounds about right  ;D

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6934 on: February 21, 2021, 01:47:24 PM »

This is interesting but nothing particularly new.

Official Chinese interest in football has cooled across the board and the thing that they most want progress on the international stage has evaded them. It was very apparent that Chinese investors splurging £100m's on overseas clubs or for that matter the Chinese Super League wasn't going to move that dial and as such the Chinese Government has been reining in their business community for some years. We may have reached the point where they are nudging them to disinvest but it is very unlikely to be a formal announcement.

Obviously this might prompt Lai to sell up but it doesn't alter the basic financial dynamics of the situation.

It was interesting that the two prospective buyers (being generally and vaguely in the market for an English club) are both American. Campbell has already been discussed on here and until he puts a serious bid together I think we can dismiss him as a serial tyre kicker (I am being kind here).

DaGrosa has a track record in Europe. He talks a good game. The vision is a Red Bull style group of clubs at various levels across leagues all of which makes perfect sense and requires a flagship top five league team. I suspect being the Group's flagship is generally good maybe being in the supporting cast less so.

He bought Bordeaux for $115m in 2018. The purchase was in partnership two other Private Equity firms King Street Capital Management and Fortress Investment Group (the firm founded by Villa joint owner Wes Edens). Things were a little chaotic behind the scenes and after just 12 months DaGrosa sold the bulk of his interest to the other partners (much muttering about paying too much and exaggerating the likely returns) he retains a 14% stake in Bordeaux.

None of the above are publicly traded entities so who paid what to whom is not clear but I suspect DaGrosa got his fingers burnt. He seems to be interested in buying another club but absolutely won't pay a premium price. This is a business man who buys distressed assets gives them a quick spit and polish and sells them on. He is not the fantasy owner that many on here seem to want.   
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

tex

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6935 on: February 24, 2021, 01:15:12 PM »
Worrying news continues from China. The government has huge influence on overseas investment goals by Chinese companies and individuals. This will affect what Lai does next. With Lai holding out for a top half premiere league valuation and our decent to the championship his exit options are diminishing. Desperate people do not normally make good decisions.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6936 on: February 28, 2021, 09:08:11 AM »
Not directly related to Lai's ownership but Suning who are owners of Inter Milan have just announced that their Chinese club Jiangsu Suning will cease operations with immediate effect. The background to this is that the Suning Group is in financial difficulty and is plainly taking drastic action to retrench.

However in broader terms it does show two things firstly the Chinese football boom is now pretty much in full retreat and the often cited and much overstated culture of "saving face" has given way to "saving ass" As such events can move pretty damn quickly and unfortunately for us not in a particularly well ordered manner.   

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6937 on: February 28, 2021, 09:36:33 AM »
Not directly related to Lai's ownership but Suning who are owners of Inter Milan have just announced that their Chinese club Jiangsu Suning will cease operations with immediate effect. The background to this is that the Suning Group is in financial difficulty and is plainly taking drastic action to retrench.

However in broader terms it does show two things firstly the Chinese football boom is now pretty much in full retreat and the often cited and much overstated culture of "saving face" has given way to "saving ass" As such events can move pretty damn quickly and unfortunately for us not in a particularly well ordered manner.   

That’s spot on.  “Face” is very important in Chinese culture when talking about voluntary decisions.  A defence against “face” is when it’s clear that one has no choice but to follow government orders.

Lai and his consortium will now be under much greater pressure to offload at a loss.  The worrying thing is that in their haste we could well find ourselves with a rogue owner rather than merely a passive and ineffective one.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6938 on: February 28, 2021, 10:52:07 AM »
Correct - be careful of what you wish for.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Boing Boing

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6940 on: March 13, 2021, 01:07:32 AM »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9356663/AHEAD-GAME-HMRC-slap-Premier-League-stars-tax-bill-agents-fees.html

Looks like a takeover has fell through

Sorry but the passage is gibberish. Lai is the owner it only matters what price he wants to accept Xu Ke is the CEO he can advise on what might be possible but ultimately it's Lai's decision. This is also the first that anybody has reported that we have entered a period of exclusivity and it has now just ended. It just makes no sense.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6941 on: March 13, 2021, 09:02:27 AM »
Sorry but the passage is gibberish. Lai is the owner it only matters what price he wants to accept Xu Ke is the CEO he can advise on what might be possible but ultimately it's Lai's decision. This is also the first that anybody has reported that we have entered a period of exclusivity and it has now just ended. It just makes no sense.

I did wonder if SA is Lai's man or somebody elses
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6942 on: March 13, 2021, 03:24:56 PM »
I don't think Lai even knows who is charge anymore or that we are in the Premier League except for maybe him getting his extra money. Interestingly about the Chinese league the only reason it got big was signing big Foreign Players Hulk, Oscar so on. There national team has some players playing who weren't born in China and have only been there for a few years. But I tried something on Fifa I removed all the clubs foreign players except for the one Rafa was in charge of although I was tempted to add Rondon back to Albion, but anyway there teams are bang average. I have a feeling many of these foreign players were old so are not far off retiring interest is dying due to either the fact the football is poor or the National Team aren't doing well due to lack of Youth investment. The government then want the likes of Lai, Fosun so on to withdraw from the Clubs they own to pump money into there domestic league to help the National Team.
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #6943 on: March 13, 2021, 03:51:43 PM »
I don't think Lai even knows who is charge anymore or that we are in the Premier League except for maybe him getting his extra money. Interestingly about the Chinese league the only reason it got big was signing big Foreign Players Hulk, Oscar so on. There national team has some players playing who weren't born in China and have only been there for a few years. But I tried something on Fifa I removed all the clubs foreign players except for the one Rafa was in charge of although I was tempted to add Rondon back to Albion, but anyway there teams are bang average. I have a feeling many of these foreign players were old so are not far off retiring interest is dying due to either the fact the football is poor or the National Team aren't doing well due to lack of Youth investment. The government then want the likes of Lai, Fosun so on to withdraw from the Clubs they own to pump money into there domestic league to help the National Team.

What extra money? How much money do you think Lai takes out?

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6944 on: March 13, 2021, 04:15:55 PM »
What extra money? How much money do you think Lai takes out?
Extra money than we had in the Championship as we get more as a Club for being in the Premier League. Other than that Lai probably doesn't know that we are Promoted if he gets nothing.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #6945 on: March 13, 2021, 04:20:36 PM »
Extra money than we had in the Championship as we get more as a Club for being in the Premier League. Other than that Lai probably doesn't know that we are Promoted if he gets nothing.

But how much do you think he takes out?

The answer is none but I just wanted to see what you thought he took out.

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6946 on: March 13, 2021, 04:23:30 PM »
But how much do you think he takes out?

The answer is none but I just wanted to see what you thought he took out.
I didn't awnser as I don't know he might have taken out money for all we knew but he probably notices the extra income

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #6947 on: March 13, 2021, 04:41:09 PM »
I didn't awnser as I don't know he might have taken out money for all we knew but he probably notices the extra income

He doesn’t take money out that’s what I’m saying.

All the money earnt at the club is reinvested back into the club

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6948 on: March 13, 2021, 04:52:57 PM »
He doesn’t take money out that’s what I’m saying.

All the money earnt at the club is reinvested back into the club
I know you said but what I was saying was he could have been for all we knew. Anyway what ever reinvestment they do is usually rubbish.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #6949 on: March 13, 2021, 05:04:15 PM »
This sorry marriage is going to get heated and bitter now , I wish they would cut their losses and sell up .
Take that idiot Dowling with them too .

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.