Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369552 times)

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #6600 on: January 01, 2021, 01:52:02 PM »
If you want my honest opinion, then it’s nothing something that remotely bothers me. The Willy waving contests of who are bigger than who frustrate the life out of me.

I go to watch the Albion, regardless of division, size of stands, players or the incumbent in the managerial seat or custodian of the club.

Whether we’re big, small, medium, massive, infinite - I’m really not bothered. It really doesn’t interest me nor affect my following of the club.

I get far more pleasure out of the good stuff the club and sport brings rather than focusing on trivial contests.

Can I just add THIS with knobs on and thanks to Liam
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6601 on: January 01, 2021, 01:58:45 PM »
If you want my honest opinion, then it’s nothing something that remotely bothers me. The Willy waving contests of who are bigger than who frustrate the life out of me.

I go to watch the Albion, regardless of division, size of stands, players or the incumbent in the managerial seat or custodian of the club.

Whether we’re big, small, medium, massive, infinite - I’m really not bothered. It really doesn’t interest me nor affect my following of the club.

I get far more pleasure out of the good stuff the club and sport brings rather than focusing on trivial contests.

Well to me, image is important.  You've just sat on the fence there, which is frustrating.  We are portrayed as a small club in the media with a distinct lack of respect. Even 11,000 capacity Bournemouth attracted an owner with clout.

This is alien to how I viewed the club as a young boy, then teenager, then young adult.  Even in 1991/92 in Division 3 we were seen as a sleeping giant.

Doesn't club infrastructure and perception of size influence fan expectations?  Because it should do.

All that pressure on Bilic for what exactly?  We shouldn't be in this division if we are a small club/operate on a small budget.  People need to clear this 8 year stay from the minds, it was not a true reflection of what our standing as a club should be.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6602 on: January 01, 2021, 02:20:07 PM »
Think fosun vs lai is irrelevant. All I wanted was peace to treat existing shareholders fairly, sell the club to an owner that would grow the company and not over value the asset to a gullible buyer. I think Lai is only guilty of being out of his depth, he tried to back pullis but had a poor management team in place and blew it.
Had we been valued at 100$m we would of had a chance of a sale.

But our market value wasn’t £100m, it was nearly double that.  Willing seller, willing buyer.

The reason we didn’t attract other buyers is because we had no debt and were incredibly well run financially.  The price represented that.  If we’d been a financial basket case like Villa or Wolves then we’d have attracted buyers who wanted to buy for a low price and plough in money to achieve an upside.  There was no upside when Lai bought us.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6603 on: January 01, 2021, 02:24:54 PM »
What is the benchmark for comparison though in the small club/big club debate?

WBA v Mansfield then we’re a big club.

WBA v Real Madrid then we’re a small club.

On the full pyramid picture we’re a medium sized club at the very least.

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6604 on: January 01, 2021, 02:50:44 PM »
Well to me, image is important.  You've just sat on the fence there, which is frustrating.  We are portrayed as a small club in the media with a distinct lack of respect. Even 11,000 capacity Bournemouth attracted an owner with clout.

This is alien to how I viewed the club as a young boy, then teenager, then young adult.  Even in 1991/92 in Division 3 we were seen as a sleeping giant.

Doesn't club infrastructure and perception of size influence fan expectations?  Because it should do.

All that pressure on Bilic for what exactly?  We shouldn't be in this division if we are a small club/operate on a small budget.  People need to clear this 8 year stay from the minds, it was not a true reflection of what our standing as a club should be.

Agredd. Theres a video on YouTube of Saint and Greavsie showing highlights of our game vs Port Vale at Wembley and they talk about how huge a club we are and certainly were in their playing days
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 03:05:40 PM by TAFKATMNo1Fan »

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6605 on: January 01, 2021, 03:16:24 PM »
The worst decade in our history was the 1990's and for younger fans this dark period has diluted expectations accordingly.

It was more akin to where we find ourselves now; terrible chairman, awful transfer policy and most importantly a massive crash in revenue as the supporter base turn their backs after the glory of the late 70's & early 80's.  Gate money was massively important back then. The similarity between 1985/86 and 2020/21 is stark.

For me the annoyance with Peace is twofold; 1) the lack of his own money invested 2) the failure to build a bigger stadium.  He intentionally tried to crush fan expectations. 

He was right in saying Sky TV money was king over attendance money, the downside was image.  Right now in terms of refereeing decisions we are right at the bottom, 20th place.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6606 on: January 01, 2021, 04:05:30 PM »
I actually wonder if Lai is still our owner. I seem to remember that when he took over , some thought he was a 'front' for a large organisation in China. Not that I expect to, but the fact that we have heard absolutely zippo either about him or from him does make me wonder.

I know Ken is a relative but that does not confirm ownership or Lai's status......
MAGA!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6607 on: January 01, 2021, 04:27:34 PM »
I actually wonder if Lai is still our owner. I seem to remember that when he took over , some thought he was a 'front' for a large organisation in China. Not that I expect to, but the fact that we have heard absolutely zippo either about him or from him does make me wonder.

I know Ken is a relative but that does not confirm ownership or Lai's status......

Any change of owner has to be registered with the Premier League, hence why all that conjecture on the AG and CL podcast went quiet. Lai is still owner.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6608 on: January 01, 2021, 04:35:14 PM »
Any change of owner has to be registered with the Premier League, hence why all that conjecture on the AG and CL podcast went quiet. Lai is still owner.

CL made a mistake? There’s a first  ;D he’s always quick enough to pick up on errors, I wonder what he’s said about his own.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 04:48:15 PM by BB74 »

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6609 on: January 01, 2021, 05:04:20 PM »
The worst decade in our history was the 1990's and for younger fans this dark period has diluted expectations accordingly.

It was more akin to where we find ourselves now; terrible chairman, awful transfer policy and most importantly a massive crash in revenue as the supporter base turn their backs after the glory of the late 70's & early 80's.  Gate money was massively important back then. The similarity between 1985/86 and 2020/21 is stark.

For me the annoyance with Peace is twofold; 1) the lack of his own money invested 2) the failure to build a bigger stadium.  He intentionally tried to crush fan expectations. 

He was right in saying Sky TV money was king over attendance money, the downside was image.  Right now in terms of refereeing decisions we are right at the bottom, 20th place.

I do agree with this - historically WBA are massive. I do think you slightly misunderstood the intent behind Liam's comments though, and I totally get what he means. When I was a little kid - long, long ago - my Grandad led me to believe that the mighty Albion were the finest team and club in the country. And there is a part of me that still believes this come what may. So the rest of thew world can get stuffed.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6610 on: January 01, 2021, 05:08:35 PM »
I do agree with this - historically WBA are massive. I do think you slightly misunderstood the intent behind Liam's comments though, and I totally get what he means. When I was a little kid - long, long ago - my Grandad led me to believe that the mighty Albion were the finest team and club in the country. And there is a part of me that still believes this come what may. So the rest of thew world can get stuffed.

I think it's about pedigree & WBA have loads of that.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6611 on: January 01, 2021, 06:41:24 PM »
I entirely agree with Liam the whole my club is bigger than yours willy waving exercise is just about the most futile thing in football. You know what Dave Whelan threw enough money at Wigan Athletic to get them into the Premier League and keep them there for 8 seasons. During that period Wigan were bigger than every one of the clubs that weren't in Premier League including us Leeds Forest etc.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6612 on: January 01, 2021, 07:35:51 PM »
I entirely agree with Liam the whole my club is bigger than yours willy waving exercise is just about the most futile thing in football. You know what Dave Whelan threw enough money at Wigan Athletic to get them into the Premier League and keep them there for 8 seasons. During that period Wigan were bigger than every one of the clubs that weren't in Premier League including us Leeds Forest etc.

Everything about our club is incredibly stale and small minded. In the summer a number of premier league fans questioned what the point of West Brom was, and they weren't far from the truth. We can either look to improve on and off the pitch or we can accept we are little second tier club with no status in the game. What's shocks me is not only the lack of ambition and vision in the boardroom but also in the stands; which sums up my less than positive view of the the local area, depressing and decayed.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6613 on: January 01, 2021, 07:53:10 PM »
Everything about our club is incredibly stale and small minded. In the summer a number of premier league fans questioned what the point of West Brom was, and they weren't far from the truth. We can either look to improve on and off the pitch or we can accept we are little second tier club with no status in the game. What's shocks me is not only the lack of ambition and vision in the boardroom but also in the stands; which sums up my less than positive view of the the local area, depressing and decayed.

Tin hat time lads  :)
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6614 on: January 01, 2021, 09:04:27 PM »

I can’t argue with any of that. Good post.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6615 on: January 01, 2021, 09:34:11 PM »
JP with his masterful manipulation gave him free reign to go unchallenged. I dont like it but i gotta respect it.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6616 on: January 01, 2021, 11:00:06 PM »
why do i care about their opinion? i think the same about most of the league.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #6617 on: January 02, 2021, 12:24:29 PM »
why do i care about their opinion? i think the same about most of the league.

I agree with you on this.

Too much worth is placed on the opinion of others.

If fans don’t like us, then fantastic. I’m happy with that
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6618 on: January 02, 2021, 03:41:50 PM »
Couldn't give a monkeys of what other fans think of our club, especially those who watch the rich clubs glory hunters where were they when their clubs were **** because they have been.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 03:46:13 PM by OldburyWBA »

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6619 on: January 02, 2021, 09:32:31 PM »
McManaman just said the owner was here? Presume he's just mistaken Ken?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6620 on: January 02, 2021, 09:37:33 PM »
No chance Lai is here. Must mean Ken.
Boing Boing

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6621 on: January 02, 2021, 09:56:38 PM »
His investment is worth Jack right now.

No offence, Jacko.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #6622 on: January 02, 2021, 10:17:13 PM »
Mr Lai....a huge loss coming your way.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6623 on: January 02, 2021, 10:18:36 PM »
Mr Lai....a huge loss coming your way.

Well deserved too. Treating a PL club like a passive investment.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6624 on: January 02, 2021, 10:22:14 PM »
I would not bother getting out check book were down.