Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369633 times)

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #6250 on: August 25, 2020, 04:16:55 PM »
https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2020/april/a-statement-from-chief-executive-mark-jenkins

“Like many other clubs. we have considered using a Furlough approach with non-playing staff who are now unable to work owing to the lock-down and we have made plans for this eventuality.

“At present we have not been required to sanction this action, but if the lockdown continues and football remains ‘on-hold’ then this decision may have to be changed. What we will pledge is to ensure none of the staff effected suffer a reduction in pay; the Club will make up the 20 per cent shortfall not covered by the Government’s Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme.

Did the club use the furlough scheme though? I don't know.

Jenkins gave up his salary & other senior admin managers took pay cuts.

Given the gestures made by the management team, I find it difficult
to critisise a commercial decision to close the club shop.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6251 on: August 25, 2020, 04:24:24 PM »
Martin Swain - Director of Communications - West Bromwich Albion Football Club

He should be interested in the clubs perception in the fanbase
Can’t see his email address on site anywhere have used the generic form under contact us
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6252 on: August 25, 2020, 05:56:42 PM »
Joseph Masi Twitter Account

Sad news that Albion have made three staff from the megastore at The Hawthorns redundant. The decision is part of an ongoing review into how the shop will be run following a drastic reduction in retail income due to COVID-19.

Source: https://expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2020/08/25/west-brom-make-three-staff-redundant/ #wba
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6253 on: August 25, 2020, 06:33:50 PM »
Joseph Masi Twitter Account

Sad news that Albion have made three staff from the megastore at The Hawthorns redundant. The decision is part of an ongoing review into how the shop will be run following a drastic reduction in retail income due to COVID-19.

Source: https://expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2020/08/25/west-brom-make-three-staff-redundant/ #wba

A absolute disgrace, considering the 4m Lai owes.
BOING BOING

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6254 on: August 25, 2020, 06:46:22 PM »
Long-winded moan about the boardroom & budget which ultimately Lai signs off on:

Our income which is guaranteed over the next four seasons, excluding player trading and any commercial revenue is circa £205m as follows:

-£100m (2020/21)
-£50m (2021/22, parachute payment)
-£35m (2022/23, parachute payment year 2)
-£20m (2023/24, final year of parachute payments)

Our wage bill at the end of 2018/2019 was £46.8m, that was then reduced further last summer, if you look at the players that went in and out. Factoring in we have now released Brunt and Barry, our wage bill would have shrunk to a circa £40m but then also increased with players on premier league contracts previously going back having their wages doubled, which includes Kanu, Gibbs, Hegazi, Livermore and Phillips. A crude estimate I would expect our current wage bill to be in the region of £60m, possible less than that currently but I am being cautious.

Against that we have £100m income this season give or take. So that's £40m to spend on transfers and wages which fits in with what we know. What is winding me up royally is the refusal of the bean counters to allocate any of the 2021/22 income towards our squad rebuild. We should be using a lot of £50m as well in one huge effort this summer to build a premier league quality team. After all we not looking to sign players for just 12 months, and transfer fees are going to be staggered over years.

The flex up on the wage bill is limited to our income. We usually run around 90% or more. Which means our wage bill ceiling is around £90m. So we should be allocating in my view up to £30m extra on wages (which in perspective is an additional ten players on £50k a week on average, obviously depending on who we sign we sign some would be on more or less, scope to pay £100k a week for a best players) which gets our wage bill up to £90m, which is affordable (less than our wage bill in the PL previously which was £92m-97m under Hodgson and Pulis)

That then leaves the small matter of transfer fees. If we allocate £30m on wages that leaves us just £10m from this years pot of income. Nowhere near enough. Hence why we need to allocate 50% of the parachute money in as well, which is £25m. If we took that approach we would have the punching power to spend £35m on transfer fees and to increase the wage bill by £30m up to £90m. So that's a total of £65m spent this season on fees and wages against our income guaranteed of £205m over the next four years - it's a millions miles away from a Peter Ridsdale approach, i.e. it would not put the club at risk.

That would be enough IMV to build a premier league quality squad again.

Suppose it went wrong and we got relegated. Well our wage bill would halve to £45m due to the relegation clauses we insert in all contracts (which are now common for most PL clubs outside the top six). We would still have £80m guaranteed income up to the end of 2022/23 so enough to self-fund that squad for the first 2 years. Thereafter, if not before we would need to raise £20m to break even by player sales. We would also have a squad with a much higher value having spent more on transfers.

The clubs approach appears to be to only spend this seasons income, which is very short sighted in my view. It's the same reason no sensible person buys a house in one year - you get a mortgage.

Bilic is a qualified lawyer, I suspect he has done the same maths and is banging his head of the table at the boardroom antics.

The bottom line is this year's budget alone is not enough to build a team to compete in the premier league and the failure to build a decent team results in relegation and a massive loss of income - so not only it wrong from a playing side it is also economically stupid.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 06:48:08 PM by baggie82 »

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6255 on: August 25, 2020, 06:58:43 PM »
As Bilic said in so many words it equates to £200m over 4 years if we go down or a good chance of at £400m+ over 4 years if you spend wisely now and stay in the PL. A risk worth taking.

Every other club and their board are doing their very best to help secure themselves. I don't think the board can put their hand on their hearts and say that. Whether thats down to Lai or not we won't know.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6256 on: August 25, 2020, 08:01:55 PM »
Long-winded moan about the boardroom & budget which ultimately Lai signs off on:

Our income which is guaranteed over the next four seasons, excluding player trading and any commercial revenue is circa £205m as follows:

-£100m (2020/21)

Our wage bill at the end of 2018/2019 was £46.8m, that was then reduced further last summer, if you look at the players that went in and out. Factoring in we have now released Brunt and Barry, our wage bill would have shrunk to a circa £40m but then also increased with players on premier league contracts previously going back having their wages doubled, which includes Kanu, Gibbs, Hegazi, Livermore and Phillips. A crude estimate I would expect our current wage bill to be in the region of £60m, possible less than that currently but I am being cautious.

Against that we have £100m income this season give or take. So that's £40m to spend on transfers and wages which fits in with what we know. What is winding me up royally is the refusal of the bean counters to allocate any of the 2021/22 income towards our squad rebuild. We should be using a lot of £50m as well in one huge effort this summer to build a premier league quality team. After all we not looking to sign players for just 12 months, and transfer fees are going to be staggered over years.

The flex up on the wage bill is limited to our income. We usually run around 90% or more. Which means our wage bill ceiling is around £90m. So we should be allocating in my view up to £30m extra on wages (which in perspective is an additional ten players on £50k a week on average, obviously depending on who we sign we sign some would be on more or less, scope to pay £100k a week for a best players) which gets our wage bill up to £90m, which is affordable (less than our wage bill in the PL previously which was £92m-97m under Hodgson and Pulis)

That then leaves the small matter of transfer fees. If we allocate £30m on wages that leaves us just £10m from this years pot of income. Nowhere near enough. Hence why we need to allocate 50% of the parachute money in as well, which is £25m. If we took that approach we would have the punching power to spend £35m on transfer fees and to increase the wage bill by £30m up to £90m. So that's a total of £65m spent this season on fees and wages against our income guaranteed of £205m over the next four years - it's a millions miles away from a Peter Ridsdale approach, i.e. it would not put the club at risk.

Suppose it went wrong and we got relegated. Well our wage bill would halve to £45m due to the relegation clauses we insert in all contracts (which are now common for most PL clubs outside the top six). We would still have £80m guaranteed income up to the end of 2022/23 so enough to self-fund that squad for the first 2 years. Thereafter, if not before we would need to raise £20m to break even by player sales. We would also have a squad with a much higher value having spent more on transfers.

The clubs approach appears to be to only spend this seasons income, which is very short sighted in my view. It's the same reason no sensible person buys a house in one year - you get a mortgage.

Bilic is a qualified lawyer, I suspect he has done the same maths and is banging his head of the table at the boardroom antics.

The bottom line is this year's budget alone is not enough to build a team to compete in the premier league and the failure to build a decent team results in relegation and a massive loss of income - so not only it wrong from a playing side it is also economically stupid.
don't forget incoming transfer fees for Mcclean, Foster, Dawson Rondon and Rodriguez.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6257 on: August 25, 2020, 08:29:24 PM »
Nice to see that we are looking at ways of saving money, making 3 club shop staff redundant

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2020/08/25/west-brom-make-three-staff-redundant/

I bet that will amount to Austins hair do's for amonth
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6258 on: August 25, 2020, 10:29:33 PM »
Nice to see that we are looking at ways of saving money, making 3 club shop staff redundant

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2020/08/25/west-brom-make-three-staff-redundant/

I bet that will amount to Austins hair do's for amonth

Yes, it's quite pathetic and depressing. Presuming the club paid them the UK living wage (£9.30 an hour) and they worked full time they would have been on £17k a year, so that's a measly £51,000.00 saved and three people consequently, presumably local and with dependents out of work, in the middle of a recession, particularly in retail. Against the background of income guaranteed over the next four years of £205m - £400m.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6259 on: August 25, 2020, 10:55:52 PM »
so if 20 players donated £2.5k each, jobs saved. Just saying.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6260 on: August 25, 2020, 10:59:38 PM »
Yes, it's quite pathetic and depressing. Presuming the club paid them the UK living wage (£9.30 an hour) and they worked full time they would have been on £17k a year, so that's a measly £51,000.00 saved and three people consequently, presumably local and with dependents out of work, in the middle of a recession, particularly in retail. Against the background of income guaranteed over the next four years of £205m - £400m.

Absolutely, it stinks following promotion, they could have stuck £100,000 on the Leko transfer, it would not have collapsed for that amount, it's just petty, mean spirited and very distasteful.
Baggie in Southampton

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6261 on: August 25, 2020, 11:14:16 PM »
Nothing good will come out of this guys ownership. JP done us good and proper in order to make another 30-40m on top of the 100m he would for selling us to investors.

I hope his time here ends sooner rather than later but seems we are stuck with him for the foreseeable.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6262 on: August 25, 2020, 11:45:22 PM »
Nothing good will come out of this guys ownership. JP done us good and proper in order to make another 30-40m on top of the 100m he would for selling us to investors.

I hope his time here ends sooner rather than later but seems we are stuck with him for the foreseeable.

Sadly I think you are correct. Remember JP told us he sold the club to Lai so the new owner could take us onto the next level that he could not - blatant BS, fastforward to 2020 and three club shop members are redundant. Meanwhile the loan placed on the club by JP of a circa £4m and inherited by Lai remains outstanding. Stinks.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6263 on: August 26, 2020, 06:22:02 AM »

-£100m (2020/21)

Great Post, the club should be doing a lot more even based on guaranteed income.Consider also potential income from the sale of Pereira if we capitulate. Potential payment for league placing. We don't have to surrender our place surely?
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6264 on: August 26, 2020, 11:55:05 AM »
Sadly I think you are correct. Remember JP told us he sold the club to Lai so the new owner could take us onto the next level that he could not - blatant BS, fastforward to 2020 and three club shop members are redundant. Meanwhile the loan placed on the club by JP of a circa £4m and inherited by Lai remains outstanding. Stinks.

JP sold it to him under the guise of it being an secure advancement for the club and the fans lapped it up. He played fans ike a fiddle over the years. Sad.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6265 on: September 04, 2020, 07:36:50 PM »
Exclusive: Lai tipped to loosen WBA purse strings by pundit with new arrival reportedly close

Source: https://www.westbromnews.co.uk/2020/09/04/exclusive-lai-tipped-to-loosen-wba-purse-strings-by-pundit-with-new-arrival-reportedly-close/
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6266 on: September 04, 2020, 08:51:42 PM »
Exclusive: Lai tipped to loosen WBA purse strings by pundit with new arrival reportedly close

Source: https://www.westbromnews.co.uk/2020/09/04/exclusive-lai-tipped-to-loosen-wba-purse-strings-by-pundit-with-new-arrival-reportedly-close/
Tipped? Expected? Hoped? Guessed at? Here's an exclusive. "Expat discovers bar offering half priced beer“.  8)
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6267 on: September 11, 2020, 06:22:19 PM »
Southampton's owner Gao Jisheng is in talks to sell the club to an American consortium, with one of the Chinese football/business journalists I follow on twitter implying it's another sign of China looking to scale back from their investment in English/European football.

Could be just an isolated case, but it's certainly a "watch this space" with Gouchan Lai, as with us now being a prem club pur stock is probably as high as it's likely to get.
Boing Boing

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6268 on: September 11, 2020, 06:58:52 PM »
Southampton's owner Gao Jisheng is in talks to sell the club to an American consortium, with one of the Chinese football/business journalists I follow on twitter implying it's another sign of China looking to scale back from their investment in English/European football.

Could be just an isolated case, but it's certainly a "watch this space" with Gouchan Lai, as with us now being a prem club pur stock is probably as high as it's likely to get.

This is what I’ve been hoping for since Lai’s takeover was originally announced back in 2016. The age-old ‘be careful what you wish for’ does spring to mind too. Last thing we want is unscrupulous owner(s) looking to make a quick profit.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6269 on: September 11, 2020, 08:04:43 PM »
This is what I’ve been hoping for since Lai’s takeover was originally announced back in 2016. The age-old ‘be careful what you wish for’ does spring to mind too. Last thing we want is unscrupulous owner(s) looking to make a quick profit.

In the words of Gary Megson, no-one is getting rich off West Bromwich Albion  ;D

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6270 on: September 12, 2020, 03:10:52 AM »
In the words of Gary Megson, no-one is getting rich off West Bromwich Albion  ;D

Not quite true as JP vastly increased his wealth from us to such an extent that it would be a very long time. Efofe anyone will again which is Lais problem.

He had to kill all hopes and ambitions of the club and its fanbase longterm to do so but boy oh boy was it ever worth it for JP.

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6271 on: September 13, 2020, 08:38:05 AM »
Waking up to see the John Percy article yesterday regarding the budget I really have to question why Lai is still the owner of the club looking at it from purely an investment point of view (which we are to him). Clearly there is an unwillingness/ inability to be able to fund the club from his own wealth with the transfer budget coming from what the club generates. Whilst I’m not advocating Lai ploughing millions of his own personal wealth into the transfer budget year after year and then deciding enough is enough leaving us in financial peril (like Lerner did with Villa), if ever there was a time to sensibly invest in your asset especially given the budget has rumoured to have gone to £25m from £40m then this is it.

I know spending money doesn’t guarantee survival but it gives us a better chance of staying up, if we get relegated the clubs value drops around 70% overnight with no certainty of returning. Surely if he bridged the gap in the budget (considering he owes the club £4m also) is the sensible thing to do from his standpoint as if we stay up his asset is still at the highest value it can be and can go back to be self sustaining with another year of premiership money to invest in the team.

If he can’t get the money out of China to do this then he needs to sell now whilst the clubs value is high as there is every chance 3 years down the line we are a mid table championship club and he’s lost the best part of £160 million as the club will be worth £40-£50m tops. He’l still loose money as no-one is paying what he paid for the club as Peace saw him coming a mile off but it’s better to walk away £30m down than £160m down.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6272 on: September 13, 2020, 08:58:08 AM »
Waking up to see the John Percy article yesterday regarding the budget I really have to question why Lai is still the owner of the club looking at it from purely an investment point of view (which we are to him). Clearly there is an unwillingness/ inability to be able to fund the club from his own wealth with the transfer budget coming from what the club generates. Whilst I’m not advocating Lai ploughing millions of his own personal wealth into the transfer budget year after year and then deciding enough is enough leaving us in financial peril (like Lerner did with Villa), if ever there was a time to sensibly invest in your asset especially given the budget has rumoured to have gone to £25m from £40m then this is it.

I know spending money doesn’t guarantee survival but it gives us a better chance of staying up, if we get relegated the clubs value drops around 70% overnight with no certainty of returning. Surely if he bridged the gap in the budget (considering he owes the club £4m also) is the sensible thing to do from his standpoint as if we stay up his asset is still at the highest value it can be and can go back to be self sustaining with another year of premiership money to invest in the team.

If he can’t get the money out of China to do this then he needs to sell now whilst the clubs value is high as there is every chance 3 years down the line we are a mid table championship club and he’s lost the best part of £160 million as the club will be worth £40-£50m tops. He’l still loose money as no-one is paying what he paid for the club as Peace saw him coming a mile off but it’s better to walk away £30m down than £160m down.

Thanks for posting this. Your post here is much more reasonable and balanced than my attempts when it comes to Guochan Lai. I just find myself getting really irritated about this subject.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6273 on: September 13, 2020, 09:10:38 AM »
Yes excellent post Baggies 24. The most pointless owner ever.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6274 on: September 13, 2020, 10:06:31 AM »
I am potential investor in WBA FC please explain to me how I make money from purchasing the club?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 11:49:55 AM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.