Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369595 times)

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #6225 on: August 25, 2020, 12:55:03 PM »
I know it's been mentioned before, but I would really love to know why Lai bought the club.

With Fosun and the likes, it was to give themselves an in for winning HS2-connected development projects. They have multiple companies that can compete for tenders under their banner, and owning a local team helps them grease the wheels as it were.

However Lai doesn't seem to be setting up anything Palm based in the UK. You would think he might try, a construction company gaining a foothold in time for HS2 seems like a good idea, but nothing has happened on that score.

I always thought it was about training the next generation of Chinese players; the "West Bromwich Albion Football Towns (TM)" would be host to promising Chinese youngsters and their parents. They would live there while receiving training from Chinese coaches, who had in turn been trained by our youth development coaches, and were using our methods. They sign a deal with the company that runs the town, and when they get picked up by a team (in China or abroad), the company takes a transfer fee. In some countries they could even keep hold of part of the players registration, and act as a Mendes-like super-agent for players trained by them. But I haven't heard any more about the 'football towns' idea since our relegation.

It certainly isn't due to any club loyalty, or wanting a rich mans plaything. And we must be a bit of a political hot potato at the moment, with everything that's going on.

Makes you wonder.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6226 on: August 25, 2020, 01:01:49 PM »
Yep, i remember hearing somerthing about WBA villages/homes. All vanished without a trace.

He has literally done nothing here or there. His actions, or lack thereof make no sense. Literally anonymous.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6227 on: August 25, 2020, 01:25:05 PM »
I know it's been mentioned before, but I would really love to know why Lai bought the club.

With Fosun and the likes, it was to give themselves an in for winning HS2-connected development projects. They have multiple companies that can compete for tenders under their banner, and owning a local team helps them grease the wheels as it were.

However Lai doesn't seem to be setting up anything Palm based in the UK. You would think he might try, a construction company gaining a foothold in time for HS2 seems like a good idea, but nothing has happened on that score.

I always thought it was about training the next generation of Chinese players; the "West Bromwich Albion Football Towns (TM)" would be host to promising Chinese youngsters and their parents. They would live there while receiving training from Chinese coaches, who had in turn been trained by our youth development coaches, and were using our methods. They sign a deal with the company that runs the town, and when they get picked up by a team (in China or abroad), the company takes a transfer fee. In some countries they could even keep hold of part of the players registration, and act as a Mendes-like super-agent for players trained by them. But I haven't heard any more about the 'football towns' idea since our relegation.

It certainly isn't due to any club loyalty, or wanting a rich mans plaything. And we must be a bit of a political hot potato at the moment, with everything that's going on.

Makes you wonder.

My understanding was something similar to what you describe.

I believe the focus was on the global development of Palm.

At the time, there was a massive push in China to become a major player in world football, together with a desire to improve the Chinese ecological profile.
Hence the eco-town projects.

I'm really not sure that Lai is that wealthy personally, but Palm & the eco-town projects had some serious financial backing (to the tune of several billion yuan).

Palm is a listed company, but not a lot is known about the consortium known as Yunyi Guokai (Shanghai) Sports Development Limited, who Lai owns & are the majority shareholders of WBA.

As others have said, if we're relying on the performance of Palm to provide investment income to WBA, we're in trouble.

If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6228 on: August 25, 2020, 03:11:25 PM »
Multiple staff lay-offs being talked about on twitter. Permanent not furlough.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6229 on: August 25, 2020, 03:14:12 PM »
Yeah clubshop to close. All permanent staff laid off. Clubshop to reopen using temps as and when needed.

Whether it goes further than that I'm not sure.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6230 on: August 25, 2020, 03:17:48 PM »
Does this apply to both or just one of the shops !
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6231 on: August 25, 2020, 03:27:09 PM »
Where is this lads? Not disputing it just generally can’t find it ;D

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6232 on: August 25, 2020, 03:29:09 PM »
Wba fans talking about it in Twitter. Clubshop not closing for good just to close down while staff get laid off then reopen with new staff who are temps.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 03:30:43 PM by gazberg »

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6233 on: August 25, 2020, 03:30:25 PM »
Does this apply to both or just one of the shops !

Merryhill will be open and the online store. Imagine clubshop will just oepn match days to save costs.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6234 on: August 25, 2020, 03:30:53 PM »
Multiple staff lay-offs being talked about on twitter. Permanent not furlough.

Would not have happened under Jenkins......Ken takes over and guess what.........
MAGA!

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6235 on: August 25, 2020, 03:34:12 PM »
How much do you care?
Enough to do anything about it?
Baggie in Southampton

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6236 on: August 25, 2020, 03:35:40 PM »
Would not have happened under Jenkins......Ken takes over and guess what.........

There aye that many more staff to get rid of, who next the bloody groundsman.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6237 on: August 25, 2020, 03:36:39 PM »
Where is this lads? Not disputing it just generally can’t find it ;D

Look at #wba

It's somebody with a handle @hunty

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6238 on: August 25, 2020, 03:41:18 PM »
Look at #wba

It's somebody with a handle @hunty

Cheers mate, seen it now.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6239 on: August 25, 2020, 03:43:14 PM »

I'll bite.

Think it would have happened anyway, not much point in having an onsite club shop, without fans.

Don't know what percentage of trade Macdonalds & Greggs do on matchday, but wouldn't be surprised to see them go soon too.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6240 on: August 25, 2020, 03:46:34 PM »
I'll bite.

Think it would have happened anyway, not much point in having an onsite club shop, without fans.

Don't know what percentage of trade Macdonalds & Greggs do on matchday, but wouldn't be surprised to see them go soon too.

Taken the furlough money though haven't they, despicable behaviour.
Baggie in Southampton

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6241 on: August 25, 2020, 03:48:49 PM »

Yes, absolutely disgraceful, not the sort of behaviour I expect from WBAFC.
Strongly worded email will be out bound
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6242 on: August 25, 2020, 03:50:02 PM »
I remember the thing about the football developments in China. What I didn't understand then and what I don't understand now is why he'd spend x amount of millions buying us to help him along the way. He could have hired a Sporting Technical Director and a team of coaches to do exactly the same at a fraction of the price without the threat of relegation hindering the value of his investment.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6243 on: August 25, 2020, 03:52:55 PM »

Pretty sure that Jenkins said that no WBA staff had been furloughed.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6244 on: August 25, 2020, 03:54:36 PM »
How many STH’s left their rebate in the club ? Could have helped even if it saved only one job

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6245 on: August 25, 2020, 03:56:26 PM »

Pretty sure that Jenkins said that no WBA staff had been furloughed.

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2020/april/a-statement-from-chief-executive-mark-jenkins

“Like many other clubs. we have considered using a Furlough approach with non-playing staff who are now unable to work owing to the lock-down and we have made plans for this eventuality.

“At present we have not been required to sanction this action, but if the lockdown continues and football remains ‘on-hold’ then this decision may have to be changed. What we will pledge is to ensure none of the staff effected suffer a reduction in pay; the Club will make up the 20 per cent shortfall not covered by the Government’s Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6246 on: August 25, 2020, 03:58:06 PM »
I'll bite.

Keeping Merry Hill open , no match day crowds there . Huge rent increases were in the offing pre Covid to on top of rent which would obviously have been higher than ground store !

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6247 on: August 25, 2020, 03:59:57 PM »
Yes, absolutely disgraceful, not the sort of behaviour I expect from WBAFC.
Strongly worded email will be out bound
Who would you send it to as I will do the same but not sure now Jenkins has gone where our ire should be directed

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6248 on: August 25, 2020, 04:04:27 PM »
Who would you send it to as I will do the same but not sure now Jenkins has gone where our ire should be directed
Martin Swain - Director of Communications - West Bromwich Albion Football Club

He should be interested in the clubs perception in the fanbase
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6249 on: August 25, 2020, 04:06:45 PM »
Keeping Merry Hill open , no match day crowds there . Huge rent increases were in the offing pre Covid to on top of rent which would obviously have been higher than ground store !

People haven't got to go out of their way to Merry Hill.

I suspect they'll want to do everything on line, so Merry Hill could be next if the overhead is prohibitive.