Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369698 times)

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #6150 on: July 16, 2020, 11:07:58 PM »
Often banded around by fans who have not invested millions.
Truth is we are run properly...it’s not “penny pinching”

Who buys a Ferrari F40 and attempts to service it using eurocarparts.com 🏎

To own a professional football club the size of WBA will always require continuous financial investment, especially to move forward. Failure to do this just leads to stagnation (or worse). As fans we should expect a little more than “well, it’s okay because we’re run properly as a club”.

And going back to the original point the Albion are notorious for penny-pinching.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6151 on: July 16, 2020, 11:49:48 PM »

To own a professional football club the size of WBA will always require continuous financial investment, especially to move forward. Failure to do this just leads to stagnation (or worse). As fans we should expect a little more than “well, it’s okay because we’re run properly as a club”.

And going back to the original point the Albion are notorious for penny-pinching.
Are you suggesting that there are no houses with a value of more than £1m ...that don’t have furniture in them from Ikea ?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6152 on: July 17, 2020, 12:52:04 AM »

Most "investments" in football clubs have a negative expected value. Even under Peace nearly every penny that the club earned went back into the club and were it not for a very fortunate set of circumstances Peace would not have made anywhere near as much as he did. £50m of the sale price was frankly the froth on top of the beer.

Football squanders resources so badly and so routinely that it is difficult to get any true sense of worth but in a world gone mad wear your sanity as a badge of honour. Penny pinching is better than the alternative.

Finally why should fans expect better? At what point did I acquire the right for a random rich person to subsidise my hobby pastime or entertainment?

To give this some context look at the Wigan situation with the attendant hand wringing isn't it terrible what has happened? Well let's cut to the chase here. Wigan lost £16m off a turnover of £11m netted to £9.2m after player sales last year in the Championship the year before £9.6m off a turnover of £6.7m netted down to £7.7m. Wigan have a gate in the Championship of roughly 11,500 to break even as a mid table Championship club without owner subsidy every man women and child needs to put in an additional £800 a year each over and above what they already spend on the club.

Now I am not suggesting for a minute that they can or should but in pretty much every set of circumstances if you want £800 of value you better be prepared to show me the money or you don't get the goods.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 12:53:49 AM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6153 on: July 21, 2020, 12:27:02 PM »
Just out of interest has our owner made any comments re how we are doing. It seems very quite which i find a bit disconcerting.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6154 on: July 21, 2020, 12:33:19 PM »
Just out of interest has our owner made any comments re how we are doing. It seems very quite which i find a bit disconcerting.

Mr Lai always hinted at being a silent partner and that it would be business as usual. We are just another company that he owns, he's not a fan.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6155 on: July 21, 2020, 12:37:43 PM »
Mr Lai always hinted at being a silent partner and that it would be business as usual. We are just another company that he owns, he's not a fan.

Thanks for your reply mate. That does not bode well.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6156 on: July 21, 2020, 12:46:09 PM »
Well if nothing else at least he's been consistent, to date at least.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6157 on: July 21, 2020, 09:17:57 PM »
IF we are promoted he will be using the opportunity to network with oligarchs and potential investors in his other business ventures for sure, this will masquerade as supporting the club

That’s how it works sadly
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6158 on: July 21, 2020, 09:43:21 PM »
IF we are promoted he will be using the opportunity to network with oligarchs and potential investors in his other business ventures for sure, this will masquerade as supporting the club

That’s how it works sadly

I bet he's digging his scarf out now ready for his photo opportunity with Man U and Chelsea players should we get promoted
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6159 on: July 21, 2020, 11:52:04 PM »

I’m not all that convinced there is much evidence of us penny pinching in recent years.

12 million spent on Rondon, 11 million on Chadli, up to 15 million spent on Burke, even in the sky’s 2 years we have paid up to 59 grand a week for Gayle in the championship and agreed to a transfer that could see us pay 8 million for Pereira despite not going up.

Spend much more than that and you risk bankruptcy - look at the 3 clubs awaiting potential points deductions plus how perilous Villa’s situation was last year.
Boing Boing

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6160 on: July 22, 2020, 09:42:38 AM »
Unless you have actual evidence to prove otherwise can posters not use potentially libelous phrases like "fraudster" when referring to the owner.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6161 on: July 22, 2020, 10:44:06 PM »
Hope he's got buyer lined up as he clearly not interested in club, once again thanks Ebenezer.

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6162 on: July 22, 2020, 10:56:14 PM »
Such a massive game for the Club tonight, Lai should have been there. I just have contempt for the man; clearly no respect for the Club or for us supporters (allegedly). Hope that word makes it ok for the mods!

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6163 on: July 22, 2020, 11:01:00 PM »
Such a massive game for the Club tonight, Lai should have been there. I just have contempt for the man; clearly no respect for the Club or for us supporters (allegedly). Hope that word makes it ok for the mods!

Do we even have an air corridor with China?

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6164 on: July 22, 2020, 11:03:31 PM »
Do we even have an air corridor with China?

I don't think it really matters if he flys over from China or not. As fans we just owners to put as much money into the club as possible and to protect the club in the longer term.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6165 on: July 22, 2020, 11:10:25 PM »
It would be nice if this promotion helps him sell the club. I don’t want him here as he has no interest or no ideas. The only issue is what you see at Derby/Wigan/Charlton/Sheff Wed/Forest. Clubs that are a mess as well. Very few football owners seem to be good. So depressing - wish we had the 50 plus 1 rule here.
Boing Boing

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6166 on: July 22, 2020, 11:11:03 PM »
Yes, this may be his chance to get out and not lose that much money. Fingers crossed.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #6167 on: July 22, 2020, 11:49:26 PM »
OK. Sell the club to me for a penny (like Wolves) and get out.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6168 on: July 22, 2020, 11:51:20 PM »
Why are we slagging off the guy who employed Bilić who just got us promoted?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

buzzingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6169 on: July 22, 2020, 11:57:11 PM »

Exactly this.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6170 on: July 23, 2020, 12:00:12 AM »
I’m not all that convinced there is much evidence of us penny pinching in recent years.

12 million spent on Rondon, 11 million on Chadli, up to 15 million spent on Burke, even in the sky’s 2 years we have paid up to 59 grand a week for Gayle in the championship and agreed to a transfer that could see us pay 8 million for Pereira despite not going up.

Spend much more than that and you risk bankruptcy - look at the 3 clubs awaiting potential points deductions plus how perilous Villa’s situation was last year.

Baggies,

Those signings were purchased one at a time over the course of about 3 seasons. When you factor in the Sky money that was paid to the Albion in each of those seasons it really wasn’t a big spending spree at all.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6171 on: July 23, 2020, 12:07:01 AM »
I've still not made my mind up on Lair but he took a sinking ship off Peace and was wrongly advised that Pulis guarantees Premier League safety.

His biggest mistake so far is believing that advice.

Since then we have spent money, not sold players like Swansea, and we're back in the premier league. Can't understand the massive criticism at this stage.

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6172 on: July 23, 2020, 12:09:59 AM »
I’d just personally would like to hear from him after promotion. Surely he can do that

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6173 on: July 23, 2020, 12:11:53 AM »
I've still not made my mind up on Lair but he took a sinking ship off Peace and was wrongly advised that Pulis guarantees Premier League safety.

His biggest mistake so far is believing that advice.

Since then we have spent money, not sold players like Swansea, and we're back in the premier league. Can't understand the massive criticism at this stage.

His biggest mistake was accepting Williams as Chairman. Nothing to do with Pulis.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #6174 on: July 23, 2020, 12:15:31 AM »
He did not personally employ Slavin.He was told to.