Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369588 times)

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #5500 on: August 09, 2018, 06:35:42 PM »
Can’t see him making enough profit to be able to recoup any money unless we are in the premierleague to be honest, it’s in his best interest to get us back there. Problem we have is that we can’t get any money out of China.
bloke can asset strip club sell training ground sell ground if he wants.

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5501 on: August 09, 2018, 06:40:38 PM »
His money is all stuck in China unfortunately.
There's ways around everything
His company could sponsor the bog roll  if they wanted to
He is obviously using Jenkins to recoup his outlay

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5502 on: August 09, 2018, 06:41:43 PM »
Hey Paulo,how's he going to actually strip assets and pocket the money exactly, I would be very interested if you know how to do it.

Xpresso

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5503 on: August 09, 2018, 06:42:25 PM »
Parachute payments are worth £90 million in total over the next three years. The playing side will see none of that. We'll be lucky to be able to stay in the Championship let alone get promoted again.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5504 on: August 09, 2018, 06:48:48 PM »
Hey Paulo,how's he going to actually strip assets and pocket the money exactly, I would be very interested if you know how to do it.

Be pretty easy to do from a financial point of view.  Whatever assistance clubs owns are his.  If he decides to close the training ground and sell it to a developer then he can get that money out of the club easily.

Now, I don't think for a minute this will happen because there'd be uproar and the value of the rest of his asset would decrease rapidly.  It's certainly possible, look at what happened to Rangers.

we8seals

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5505 on: August 09, 2018, 06:53:06 PM »
Hope he likes the championship- because that’s where we will be for a very long time. West Brom are the new Ipswich! - big Mick will probably be the manager by January

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #5506 on: August 09, 2018, 06:54:15 PM »
Hope he likes the championship- because that’s where we will be for a very long time. West Brom are the new Ipswich! - big Mick will probably be the manager by January

wrong big, the other one   
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5507 on: August 09, 2018, 06:55:53 PM »
Parachute payments are worth £90 million in total over the next three years. The playing side will see none of that. We'll be lucky to be able to stay in the Championship let alone get promoted again.

I’d say the wage budget is probably about £35m now (not 100% sure) what is the first amount of parachute payments we get this year? If we get £90 over 3 then it can’t be a huge amount more than what the wages is can it

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5508 on: August 09, 2018, 06:58:51 PM »
Parachute payments are in two large chunks and then a smaller one.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5509 on: August 09, 2018, 07:05:25 PM »
There you go then as I said I’m not sure my wage bill is correct by the way I’m just going on 50% drop to what it was last year, but the parachute payments may just cover the wages with a bit left over so not sure how much we actually have spare.

One thing I will say on the other hand is that China is a communist country and the president or whatever they have over there was always going to win the elections that weren’t that long ago so they would have known with the way communists countries run that they weren’t going to allow a load of money leave the country and that they would eventually put a stop to it.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5510 on: August 09, 2018, 07:16:48 PM »
There you go then as I said I’m not sure my wage bill is correct by the way I’m just going on 50% drop to what it was last year, but the parachute payments may just cover the wages with a bit left over so not sure how much we actually have spare.
Do we get payments from the EFL as well? If not, how do all of the other EFL clubs who don't have parachute payments manage to pay their players' wages? Or are you saying that our wage bill is much bigger than the clubs who weren't relegated last season?

we8seals

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5511 on: August 09, 2018, 07:28:48 PM »

wrong big, the other one

either or i suspect

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5512 on: August 09, 2018, 07:34:13 PM »
Do we get payments from the EFL as well? If not, how do all of the other EFL clubs who don't have parachute payments manage to pay their players' wages? Or are you saying that our wage bill is much bigger than the clubs who weren't relegated last season?

19 out of 24 championship teams made a loss for the season 16/17 season and there were 8 receiving parachute payments. So I think a few rely on thier owners making up the loss. Something that we have established we can’t do, I mean this is as far as my business knowledge goes really but if it’s either live within our means or owner tops us up we only have one option. If there isn’t much left over after all our outgoings we are going to struggle to spend money.

I could be taking nonsense but that’s how I would see it, hopefully there is someone with a bit more knowledge about everything that could clear a few things up

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5513 on: August 09, 2018, 08:01:37 PM »

Just looked it up

TV money is peanuts £100, 000 per home game & £10,000 per away game

EFL donate around £8 million in various funds

Our gate money would come to around £15 million

not sure about merchandise & sponsorships, but say another £2 million.

So for our wage bill to be self financing, it wouldn't have to be much more than £25-26 million.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #5514 on: August 09, 2018, 08:17:58 PM »
Is that correct 're tv money split 100:10 home:away club's? Needs 2 teams to make a game. I would've expected something much closer to 50:50. Seems grossly unfair on the away team!

Andio

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5515 on: August 09, 2018, 08:30:52 PM »
Is that correct 're tv money split 100:10 home:away club's? Needs 2 teams to make a game. I would've expected something much closer to 50:50. Seems grossly unfair on the away team!

Yeah and the funny thing is we always seem to end up being the away team more often than not.

I would be interested to see if anybody could confirm that we are away on tv more than we are at home over the last few seasons?

RogerBadoo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5516 on: August 09, 2018, 08:34:26 PM »
If the numbers above are correct - and I suspect they will be is it any wonder we haven’t gone mad in this transfer window like Stoke. I am ok with a sensible fiscal approach towards the club. We have seen a significant reduction in revenue and we still have Chadli on the wage bill. We do need to be careful. Imagine the state Stoke will be in if they fail to get promoted. We have a good squad and the opportunity to add in the Jan window. I have never experienced so much moaning so early in the season.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5517 on: August 09, 2018, 08:41:54 PM »
I thought JP said that he left us in safe hands

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5518 on: August 09, 2018, 09:06:54 PM »
I thought JP said that he left us in safe hands

He did, with someone with short arms and long pockets. We’ve been conned into believing Lai was going to invest in the club and put us in a sound financial footing.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 09:11:05 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5519 on: August 10, 2018, 11:50:54 AM »
He did, with someone with short arms and long pockets. We’ve been conned into believing Lai was going to invest in the club and put us in a sound financial footing.

Lai always said he didn't plan to invest beyond the £175-200m he invested to buy the club.  I don't think he's mislead anyone who listened to what he had to say.  He wanted stablility, but bad decision making regarding CEO, Chairman, Manager, Player Investments has let him down.  However, JP may have mislead us into believing that he would only sell to someone who could take the club forward... but that's a different matter.

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5520 on: August 10, 2018, 12:01:40 PM »
Lai is an absentee owner.  I don't think he has any interest in us while we're in the championship.  That's why he's appointed his sidekick as Chairman... just as an overseer and to report back.  A championship brand can not help his Chinese businesses one bit.

I don't think he's asset stripping, I think he's relying on Jenkins to get us back to the PL without further investment.

With a @£25m income and a £40m parachute playment we should be able to manage that.  Player sales can boost the budget next summer if we're not promoted (think it's £30m next season, then £7 the season after - that's the case for Vile who are 2 years ahead of us).

What was the wage budget last season @£85m?  Takeout last seasons loans plus, Foster, Evans, McClean, Yakob and MacAuley and the 50% relegation wage drop and I think we're down to a third of this figure, plus the wages of the incoming players.  So we should easily be stable this year.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 12:04:21 PM by Mr Cynical »

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5521 on: August 10, 2018, 12:03:16 PM »

No we haven't, the club was sold and people got excited and assumed money would be thrown around.

He clearly stated he would continue to run the club how it has been run.

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5522 on: August 10, 2018, 12:06:30 PM »
The silence is deafening - that is all that needs to be said.
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

baggyman68

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5523 on: August 10, 2018, 12:17:48 PM »
No we haven't, the club was sold and people got excited and assumed money would be thrown around.

Peace said he would only sell to someone who would take the club forward.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5524 on: August 10, 2018, 12:18:02 PM »

The problem is that he hasn't done that. He has allowed us to stagnate and has not rebuilt what Pulis destroyed. Unless he and the new chairmen get some better advisors in soon, you could easily see us slipping back into our old ways - the same ways that see clubs like Ipseich and Derby spending large spells in this division.
Boing Boing