Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369581 times)

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #5375 on: July 27, 2018, 07:29:31 AM »
His interest is in making money so this particular vehicle has failed for him he will have to strip its assets and cut back . He will then look to sell .

How will he strip it's assets?
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #5376 on: July 27, 2018, 08:16:22 AM »
How will he strip it's assets?

Not only do we have players we can sell the club also has properties.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5377 on: July 27, 2018, 08:23:48 AM »
Paranoia setting in here. Why asset strip a company you've only owned for twelve months?

It's a brand new market for him.

That said, his seeming lack of involvement is disconcerting.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5378 on: July 27, 2018, 08:46:25 AM »
He can't personally strip any assets.
,we've discussed this at length before.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5379 on: July 27, 2018, 09:52:28 AM »
Not only do we have players we can sell the club also has properties.

The combined value of both wouldn't come to £150 million. There is no way GL would get his money back.

In any event asset stripping a football club is a myth, the only way you could asset strip a football club is to buy it at way below it's value, & then sell off it's assets for a profit. GL has paid top dollar for the Albion, it's in his interests to make it work.

Personally, I don't think he sees the Albion as a profit centre, it's a means to get global exposure to his Palm business, that's why they withdrew sponsorship when we were relegated.

WBA is a stand alone business in the GL empire, any investment in new players will have to be generated by the football club.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5380 on: July 27, 2018, 10:10:06 AM »
He can't personally strip any assets.
,we've discussed this at length before.

Personally he probably can't, but if he owns the majority of the club shares he could 'streamline' our property portfolio [for example].

I am not saying that this is going to happen, but all you have to do is look at what happened to Coventry City with Sisu, or prior to that the bright idea of selling Highfield road to see what could happen. Even a glance across at the plight of the vile sobers you up. Had they won that play off final they would be unbearable right now.

Its all down to good management, and I am not sure we have that in place at present. There is no doubt that we have a fiscal overlord......
MAGA!

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5381 on: July 27, 2018, 10:32:34 AM »
Personally he probably can't, but if he owns the majority of the club shares he could 'streamline' our property portfolio [for example].

I am not saying that this is going to happen, but all you have to do is look at what happened to Coventry City with Sisu, or prior to that the bright idea of selling Highfield road to see what could happen. Even a glance across at the plight of the vile sobers you up. Had they won that play off final they would be unbearable right now.

Its all down to good management, and I am not sure we have that in place at present. There is no doubt that we have a fiscal overlord......

Our monetry policy now is first class, it's where that sits relative to the objective of getting promoted that's the problem.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5382 on: July 27, 2018, 10:57:10 AM »
Our monetry policy now is first class, it's where that sits relative to the objective of getting promoted that's the problem.

Certainly looks to be the way John, and it does make you think about when Peace was here and we were all complaining about how tight he was, and the one year the brakes were off we spent like lottery winners and promptly got relegated!
MAGA!

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #5383 on: July 27, 2018, 11:05:56 AM »
Saw a comment yesterday on the Express and Star website so no idea if there's any truth in it or whether its complete bull so don't give me grief !! 8)

Not the exact wording as I can't find the comment but others may have seen it but the jist was -

That the purchase of the club was circa £175m spread over 3 years but dependent on us staying in the Prem. The poster stated that as we had gone down then Peace would be lucky to see around £80m

As I said maybe complete bull, I have no idea.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5384 on: July 27, 2018, 11:13:51 AM »
Saw a comment yesterday on the Express and Star website so no idea if there's any truth in it or whether its complete bull so don't give me grief !! 8)

Not the exact wording as I can't find the comment but others may have seen it but the jist was -

That the purchase of the club was circa £175m spread over 3 years but dependent on us staying in the Prem. The poster stated that as we had gone down then Peace would be lucky to see around £80m

don't think that is possible but if it is then selling club to idiots does have consequences  ;D

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #5385 on: July 27, 2018, 11:16:23 AM »
Found it

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2018/07/26/funds-raised-to-complete-west-broms-three-degrees-statue-after-pfa-donation/

It's obvious that the Board have a different mid term plan to our Head Coach. The Posh Chairman laid that one out for all to see.

I want to put something on record. First hand, I can tell you that the acquisition sale figures of £175m + is well off the mark.

The sale fee was based over 3 years, and guess what, staying in the PL was part of the deal...Fact.

Don't get me wrong, JP did very well on his inital investment but he will not see north of £80m.

Again, this is first hand...The new owners don't have to do much to rinse £40-£50m out of the club and then sell on for £40m.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5386 on: July 27, 2018, 11:20:30 AM »

First time I have ever heard of that TBH, but it does make sense when you think about it. And here we are thinking that Jezza rode off into the sunset with £200m!

If there is any truth in that then we may need to reconsider the asset stripping comments!!! He can easily get £80m back.... [ and before you point it out, I am fully aware of the earlier conversation about what a company/director can and cannot do]
MAGA!

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5387 on: July 27, 2018, 11:30:27 AM »
Found it

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2018/07/26/funds-raised-to-complete-west-broms-three-degrees-statue-after-pfa-donation/

It's obvious that the Board have a different mid term plan to our Head Coach. The Posh Chairman laid that one out for all to see.

I want to put something on record. First hand, I can tell you that the acquisition sale figures of £175m + is well off the mark.

The sale fee was based over 3 years, and guess what, staying in the PL was part of the deal...Fact.

Don't get me wrong, JP did very well on his inital investment but he will not see north of £80m.

Again, this is first hand...The new owners don't have to do much to rinse £40-£50m out of the club and then sell on for £40m.

Wrong link mate.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 11:31:54 AM by OldburyWBA »
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #5388 on: July 27, 2018, 11:32:25 AM »
Wrong link mate.

Its in the comments at the bottom not the actual article

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5389 on: July 27, 2018, 11:37:48 AM »
Its in the comments at the bottom not the actual article

cool, thankyou
Albion Family !!!

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5390 on: July 27, 2018, 11:44:27 AM »
The club are obviously cutting back. Not sure why anyone didn't believe GL when he said he'd run the club prudently i.e. only using money the club had? This is what he's done/ is doing. He's simply not going to invest in the club himself - time or money wise - his actions confirm that.

I'm not surprised but we're in exactly the same place as a club we would've been with JP in my view although we did lose JP's experience of leading the club for 10 years when he left. For me this is why we went down , we had John Williams instead of JP making decisions. We'll see whether Mark Jenkins can turn it around.

However, it's clear we're being run like any other prudent business so don't expect us to sign big unless we sell big.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5391 on: July 27, 2018, 11:57:17 AM »
Found it

You wouldn't get that kind of money from fixed assets, the only way you would raise that kind of cash is by selling players.
In that case would you put a release clause of £3.5 million on one of your most valuable players?

Also, there is no evidence to date, that we're trying to sell our most valuable players.

Just saying!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5392 on: July 27, 2018, 12:21:51 PM »
Don't believe this for a minute, there is no way Peace postured for over 2 years to then only walk away with £80 million.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5393 on: July 27, 2018, 12:24:14 PM »
Seriously... you believe that????

So you sell your business and agree to spread payment over three years...

Oh and if the new owner stuffs up they don't have to pay!!!
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5394 on: July 27, 2018, 12:27:30 PM »
Erm,
Pay £150m or get relegated and pay 80m,
then get promoted and asset is now worth £150m (plus ?)

Highly dangerous strategy but would explain why we gave up early
Would not explain Sturridge / Krychowiak
Albion Family !!!

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5395 on: July 27, 2018, 12:28:04 PM »
Hopefully he sells the club soon. Only one interview since he acquired the club. Shocking. Nothing from the new chairman. Terrible leadership from above.
BOING BOING

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5396 on: July 27, 2018, 12:44:33 PM »
Copied it for all to see;

The author seems to be ITK.....we will all find out in due course I guess.
MAGA!

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5397 on: July 27, 2018, 12:56:34 PM »

While I’m not doubting the credibility of the author, who in their right mind would sign up to a deal where the sale price depends on factors wholly outside the control of the seller? I mean honestly, I know folk gave a fairly low regard for JP, but does anyone think he was that stupid?
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5398 on: July 27, 2018, 12:58:54 PM »

Chris Lepkowski is also still ITK, especially as he was at the club at the time, and he still says the purchase price was north of what has been reported.

Although I think Lai needs to cut his losses and sell to a more interested party, I worry that the fact he would lose face in China might mean he sticks around and breaks us more.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5399 on: July 27, 2018, 01:03:06 PM »
While I’m not doubting the credibility of the author, who in their right mind would sign up to a deal where the sale price depends on factors wholly outside the control of the seller? I mean honestly, I know folk gave a fairly low regard for JP, but does anyone think he was that stupid?

I agree with you. What I do not know is how much JP actually put into the club in the first place. For example if it was £40m and he received £80m, the he has made a wonderful profit. However, if it was north of £80m and this is true then he may make a loss and that definitely will not happen with JP.

Having said all that, does anyone really think our club is worth £175 - 200m? The vile was bought at around the same time for £60m; I assume part of the reason was because they were also buying a debt which would have been offset, but there is a big difference in sale price for two clubs that are equal [ish - I do know they won something in 1982]
MAGA!