Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369556 times)

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #5275 on: May 31, 2018, 04:21:52 PM »
If Lai was interested in supporting the club financially we’d still be sponsored by Palm and would be going ahead with a £250k upgrade to the medical department. FFP doesn’t kick in until three seasons, so you get the option to gamble for season 1&2 and spend like confetti like wolves did. Putting rivalries aside the way they built a great young team playing proper football should be our model to aspire to.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5276 on: May 31, 2018, 04:35:24 PM »
If Lai was interested in supporting the club financially we’d still be sponsored by Palm and would be going ahead with a £250k upgrade to the medical department. FFP doesn’t kick in until three seasons, so you get the option to gamble for season 1&2 and spend like confetti like wolves did. Putting rivalries aside the way they built a great young team playing proper football should be our model to aspire to.

Eh? Wolves' parachute payments had long run out before they started building that team. Last season was their 5th since being relegated. Only reason they lucked out is because the Mendes link got them 2-3 Europa League quality players that would have never signed otherwise. They also didn't have that high of a net spend compared to the likes of Villa.

I agree that we will need to spend relatively big though, but we need to make sure we're targeting young players so we have the re-sale value if we fail, unlike what Villa have done.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5277 on: May 31, 2018, 04:49:42 PM »
Eh? Wolves' parachute payments had long run out before they started building that team. Last season was their 5th since being relegated. Only reason they lucked out is because the Mendes link got them 2-3 Europa League quality players that would have never signed otherwise. They also didn't have that high of a net spend compared to the likes of Villa.

I agree that we will need to spend relatively big though, but we need to make sure we're targeting young players so we have the re-sale value if we fail, unlike what Villa have done.
No point in letting facts get in the way of a good whinge is there?
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5278 on: June 01, 2018, 01:22:27 AM »
No point in letting facts get in the way of a good whinge is there?

My point was wolves spent big, an awful lot of money and did it very well. They financed that through the wealth of their owners. The next season we have an opportunity to consolidate our resources and go big as well. As we know we have the guarantee of the parachute payments. Very similar to Newcastle's approach to relegation. They threw everything into getting back at the first attempt and took a financial gamble that paid off. I'd like to see us go for it this season whilst our parachute payments are at their highest. Secondly if Lai is going to invest then he can do so now. We have three seasons to balance the accounts for FFP purposes.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5279 on: June 01, 2018, 06:46:06 AM »
I think Mr Peace sold us down the river to someone who would meet his asking price, not to someone who he promised would leave the club in a better position.
I really hope Lai proves me wrong, but the appointment of Moore as first team coach tells me won't throw money at it.
I doubt Big Dave has been given a rise either, we have heard nothing about his contract.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5280 on: June 01, 2018, 09:42:33 AM »
My point was wolves spent big, an awful lot of money and did it very well. They financed that through the wealth of their owners. The next season we have an opportunity to consolidate our resources and go big as well. As we know we have the guarantee of the parachute payments. Very similar to Newcastle's approach to relegation. They threw everything into getting back at the first attempt and took a financial gamble that paid off. I'd like to see us go for it this season whilst our parachute payments are at their highest. Secondly if Lai is going to invest then he can do so now. We have three seasons to balance the accounts for FFP purposes.

Wolves spent £20m last summer, not exactly huge sums. Especially compared to Middlesbrough who spent around £50m.

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #5281 on: June 01, 2018, 11:01:42 AM »
I doubt Big Dave has been given a rise either, we have heard nothing about his contract.
Whilst I understand that we tend to be downbeat about many aspects of the club, this statement is just wrong.
I have seen several reports of "an improved contract".

I don't think the club would be so crass as to insult the new Head Coach by being so tightfisted, and Moore would certainly not accept unchanged terms.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5282 on: June 01, 2018, 12:21:54 PM »
I think Mr Peace sold us down the river to someone who would meet his asking price, not to someone who he promised would leave the club in a better position.

Agreed, he only concern appeared to be to maximise his own return, regardless of the long term well being of the club.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5283 on: June 01, 2018, 12:48:23 PM »

I'm struggling to see what Peace or Lai has done wrong at all.

Loads wanted to Peace to leave for someone to come in and spend more money and that is exactly what happened! Everyone after the summer transfer window was buzzing with the money spent.

Lai has done nothing wrong at all as all he does is signs the cheques and as I say 6th highest net spenders you can't argue with that, peoples fault it was have been dealt with; Williams, Hammond, Pulis & Pardew.

In what world do you believe that someone would pay 250m for a business and then not really be bothered about it? It doesn't happen. He probably doesn't know a fat lot about football, but least he admits that and for that reason puts football men in charge. Again its not his fault that they failed.

You could say that it was Peace who put forward Williams, but again I doubt he did that to harm us.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5284 on: June 01, 2018, 12:58:33 PM »

Loads wanted to Peace to leave for someone to come in and spend more money and that is exactly what happened! Everyone after the summer transfer window was buzzing with the money spent.

Lai has done nothing wrong at all as all he does is signs the cheques and as I say 6th highest net spenders you can't argue with that, peoples fault it was have been dealt with; Williams, Hammond, Pulis & Pardew.

In what world do you believe that someone would pay 250m for a business and then not really be bothered about it? It doesn't happen. He probably doesn't know a fat lot about football, but least he admits that and for that reason puts football men in charge. Again its not his fault that they failed.

You could say that it was Peace who put forward Williams, but again I doubt he did that to harm us.

Peace sold the club on the basis that he was unable to take us any further forward. Yet he sold it to a bloke who is exactly the same as himself. They both run the same business model with no outside investment. So JP's whole premise for selling the club falls apart. As a club we are no better off with Lai than we were with Peace. We missed a once in a generation opportunity to get an owner on board with ambition and equity. Do you really think FOSUN group would have employed the same small time JP or LAI business model?

If the new owner is such a god why has he decided to stop sponsoring the shirt this season or canned a minute £250k upgrade to the medical department (and you note our renowned club doctor have left today)?

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5285 on: June 01, 2018, 01:10:10 PM »
Its extremely worrying, here we are again after years in the prem going down the untried untested road once more.
I really fear for the future.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5286 on: June 01, 2018, 01:14:36 PM »
Surely the guy is only doing what any businessman would do in the circumstances and that is take advice and trim first.
Then take stock and then act,he has a lot to do,a lot of info from all departments to consider first,admittedly this must have been considered several weeks ago,maybe it was maybe not we don't know.
However,I think he's not a fool,he knows how many beans make five.
Once he and others know the whole picture he will act,at leat that's what I hope,restructuring takes time.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #5287 on: June 01, 2018, 01:32:06 PM »
all very gloomy isnt it, will be confirmed when we start selling footballers and not replacing
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5288 on: June 01, 2018, 03:19:19 PM »
I wonder if Jeremy told Lai we are just a mid table championship side that's been punching above it's weight?

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5289 on: June 01, 2018, 03:55:37 PM »

Don't see what the surprise is in Lai cutting investment. That's part of the deal which  relegation from the Prem includes. Almost any businessman would do likewise. Even a confirmed West Brom fan, such as Peace, would be cutting back. It now becomes doubly important that the right investment decisons are made on playing and coaching staff, with the funds available.
Maybe some of those posters who thought relegation might not be such a bad thing, would like to comment.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 04:24:30 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5290 on: June 01, 2018, 05:17:12 PM »
It IS worrying though when as Baggie82 states, we won't spend 250k upgrading the medical centre and the club doctor leaves for a rival club.

I will be fully behind Big Dave, but it's made me wonder more than ever about the real reason he was appointed.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5291 on: June 01, 2018, 08:54:15 PM »
I really hope Lai proves me wrong, but the appointment of Moore as first team coach tells me won't throw money at it.
Very odd this 'extended contract' label given to DM. Can't help fearing it it's not even a 1 year rolling arrangement (which would be pretty sensible and not unfair).
Anyone know what DM's terms are ??
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5292 on: June 02, 2018, 01:11:57 AM »
Don't see what the surprise is in Lai cutting investment. That's part of the deal which  relegation from the Prem includes. Almost any businessman would do likewise. Even a confirmed West Brom fan, such as Peace, would be cutting back. It now becomes doubly important that the right investment decisons are made on playing and coaching staff, with the funds available.
Maybe some of those posters who thought relegation might not be such a bad thing, would like to comment.
Yes please, if a lot of the waste and sheer stupidity is eradicated the club will be in a far better place come the start of the season  (IMO)
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5293 on: June 02, 2018, 06:34:31 AM »
Very odd this 'extended contract' label given to DM. Can't help fearing it it's not even a 1 year rolling arrangement (which would be pretty sensible and not unfair).
Anyone know what DM's terms are ??

Whatever they are Darren Moore must have agreed with the offer, he signed the contract.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Sarniabaggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #5294 on: June 02, 2018, 08:37:19 AM »

Absolutely spot on LeeisWBA.

The anti Peace brigade got what they wanted and are reaping what the Peace admires’ feared.
Many Peace believers said the “JP out brigade” will rue the day he left and so it came to pass.  8)

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5295 on: June 02, 2018, 09:35:30 AM »
Whatever they are Darren Moore must have agreed with the offer, he signed the contract.

Have the head Honcho title or maybe have to leave the club. Not a difficult choice.
The first thing a club does when announcing a manager is to  give his terms of contract. Everyone knows that.
People bury their heads to the facts before them and say they can't blame Lai he's a businessman, and Big Dave looks happy.
They are running a world famous football club FFS not, The Imperial Garden.

As for old Jeremiah, look where he is now and look where we are.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5296 on: June 02, 2018, 01:43:59 PM »
I'll hold my gun powder dry until after summer transfer window to judge our owner and big Dave will have my full support for the upcoming campaign, hopefully our board will back him in transfer market.

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5297 on: June 02, 2018, 01:47:50 PM »
Absolutely spot on LeeisWBA.

The anti Peace brigade got what they wanted and are reaping what the Peace admires’ feared.
Many Peace believers said the “JP out brigade” will rue the day he left and so it came to pass.  8)

This is only because Jeremy Peace behaved like Jeremy Peace and took the club for everything he could get - milked it for every last penny - purely for his own interest, and without real care about who he sold it too.

I support West Bromwich Albion.  Peace was a positive impact in so many ways, but they were a bi-product of what was best for him.  Where else could you make a relatively small investment, get it all back (and more besides, by doing a share issue funded by a loan the club paid off), do another share reorg (which paid out to you and increased your part of the pie, securing fans shares for a low price - because you undervalue the asset) pay yourself over a million pound a year and sell after 17 years for £175-£200million.

Just don't put him on a pedestal.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5298 on: June 02, 2018, 01:59:28 PM »
Ebenezer was only interested in making as much money as possible and couldn't care less about the situation the club finds itself in. Only time will tell if he sold us a pup and if so hope he doesn't choke on a prawn sandwich  ::)

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5299 on: June 02, 2018, 02:57:02 PM »
Fair enough I can accept ‘only time will tell’ but the point I’m making is that people have already made their mind up that Peace ‘sold us down the river’ to someone who doesn’t care based on nothing at all. Yes we have been relegated but I can’t see how any blame at all can be put on Lai, he has seen who has made the mistakes and fired them because of this. If he left the same people in charge to make the same mistakes again then fair enough it would show that he’s not got the clubs best interest at heart.

I don’t know whether it’s just a stick to beat Peace with or people just love to be negative and make out we’re in a crisis