Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369560 times)

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #4825 on: August 01, 2017, 08:15:36 AM »
John even I am getting a bit concerned now.

Somebody's playing a brinkmanship game. Don't think it's Lai (he's not involved in day to day).
TP has the final say on player acquisition.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4826 on: August 01, 2017, 08:31:27 AM »
Can somebody explain the logic behind jumping to conclusions a month before the transfer window please? I genuinely dont understand why you'd be so negative when you could be left with egg on your face?

The issue is that last season we had an ok starting 11, but after that we were very shallow and after a few injuries/drop in form it really showed...especially by the way we ended the season. The squad was/is crying out for a bit of investment and the new season is under 2 weeks to go. So, I can see why fans are getting restless. Personally I'm still giving it time, I'm sure we'll get a few more players in but until then I can understand peoples frustrations.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4827 on: August 01, 2017, 08:37:10 AM »
I'm reserving my judgment on Mr Lai until the window closes, but I hope he is aware that his £175m investment is resting on what this club does in the next 4 weeks. I know he wants to run the club sensibly and I'm all for that but in the current climate and the financial state of the club there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to spend £40-50m this summer without breaking bank.

He needs to find out why we aren't making signings and take action. If the reason isn't to do with the manager or the recruitment department and is in fact because he won't release the necessary funds, then I hope he is fully aware that he's about to p*ss his £175m up the wall. I hope, both for Lai's and the club's sake, that the nature of the transfer window is what is holding the transfer business up and we can get deals done before its too late.
being reported that Chinese owner won't release fund's to buy Gibson or smalling don't know is it the fee or what

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4828 on: August 01, 2017, 08:46:10 AM »
Can somebody explain the logic behind jumping to conclusions a month before the transfer window please? I genuinely dont understand why you'd be so negative when you could be left with egg on your face?

There isn't any logic to it. Being a football fan isn't logical, it's like religion it requires faith, superstition, a personal interpretation of what being a true fan means etc etc.

I'm not panicking but I am frustrated at our lack of activity particularly around getting players in for the positions we need such as left back and midfield, the frustration for me is that we have been strongly linked with 2 left backs in Taylor and Gibbs yet we have found reasons not to sign either that appear to be about money, which we could easily afford, rather than because they wouldn't improve the starting 11.

I do think we'll sign another 3 players with 2 of those being first team starters, but I think they will be a central defender and a midfielder, with a striker being brought in on loan, so we will still be short of a proper left back.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:47:59 AM by Hull Baggie »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4829 on: August 01, 2017, 08:46:41 AM »
being reported that Chinese owner won't release fund's to buy Gibson or smalling don't know is it the fee or what

Any links?

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4830 on: August 01, 2017, 08:46:54 AM »
Where did you hear that from? If it is true then we are in for a rough ride with Mr Lai.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4831 on: August 01, 2017, 08:50:07 AM »
Any links?
on sky sports app yesterday morning believe it was mirror

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4832 on: August 01, 2017, 08:56:54 AM »

Cheers.

I have to say I never believe anything I see that's from The Mirror. If it is true it would go against Mr Lai's stated wish to make us an established Top 10 side.

mikehy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4833 on: August 01, 2017, 09:05:42 AM »
Cheers.

I have to say I never believe anything I see that's from The Mirror. If it is true it would go against Mr Lai's stated wish to make us an established Top 10 side.
I Think the time has come for John Williams to make an announcement to the fans either to quash or confirm this rumour as total silence seems to actually confirm it.

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #4834 on: August 01, 2017, 09:13:57 AM »
I Think the time has come for John Williams to make an announcement to the fans either to quash or confirm this rumour as total silence seems to actually confirm it.

Really? Someone from the club needs to address every rumour? Not going to happen.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4835 on: August 01, 2017, 09:15:59 AM »

Its all down to "the Groundhog Day Syndrome"

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #4836 on: August 01, 2017, 09:18:00 AM »
Its all down to "the Groundhog Day Syndrome"

The Groundhog Day Syndrome where every year we moan about the transfers as if it's the end of the world and then have been perfectly fine at the end of the season?

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4837 on: August 01, 2017, 09:20:59 AM »
So a rumour pertaining to our new owner refusing to release funds came out yesterday, but didn't make it onto here until today? Really?

If this is true then you lot need to get your collective finger out  ;) .
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 09:23:28 AM by SmethDan »
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4838 on: August 01, 2017, 09:21:16 AM »

I don't think John Williams or the club has to do any such thing. We have made two first team signings and there is a month left in the transfer window. I would like to think that we are quietly going about our business.

There are too many media outlets 'misinforming' fans of all clubs of potential signings, issues etc - I don't see why the club has to respond to any of this misinformation.
MAGA!

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4839 on: August 01, 2017, 09:36:15 AM »

That Nursey fella on twitter wrote something about it aswell saying the Chinese were trying to run it same way as JP.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4840 on: August 01, 2017, 09:51:07 AM »
For me it's not about money spent, the important thing is how the club is run going forward. Peace, during the last few years kind've operated on a holding basis to see him through til the sale. Therefore, the squad was fairly bare, although set up with just enough to stay up.

We were told, after Lai's takeover the club wanted to establish itself in the top 10. To do this, we all know there is more quality and depth needed in the team/ squad. This could be done without spending huge amounts hence why I'm not only judging ££ spent. I'll give it til the end of this window and judge it then. I must admit, so far it does look like Lai will operate in a similar way to Peace i.e. with a stripped back squad with the ultimate aim of treading water by just staying in the premier league. The proof is in the pudding no matter what the club, Pulis or anyone says in the meantime.

mikehy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4841 on: August 01, 2017, 10:00:50 AM »
Really? Someone from the club needs to address every rumour? Not going to happen.
I didn't say someone from the club should address every rumour but they should a rumour as big as our owner not willing to release enough money for us to just stand still let alone move on. Fans deserve to know if there is anything in this before spendiing any more money

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4842 on: August 01, 2017, 10:07:18 AM »
I didn't say someone from the club should address every rumour but they should a rumour as big as our owner not willing to release enough money for us to just stand still let alone move on. Fans deserve to know if there is anything in this before spendiing any more money

Well wait for another 30 days and then you will know the answer.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4843 on: August 01, 2017, 10:29:05 AM »

Spot on.

Proof is in the pudding. We'll see how we'll approach things e.g. with a squad just good enough to stay up with the intention of hitting the top 10 regularly like we were told when Lai came in? Still too early to judge, a few clubs might be moving on quality players towards the end of the window (hopelessly optimistic Albion fan here)?

mikehy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4844 on: August 01, 2017, 10:34:20 AM »
please do not patronize me. I am as entitled to my opinion as much as the happy clappy brigade

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4845 on: August 01, 2017, 10:34:32 AM »
The Groundhog Day Syndrome where every year we moan about the transfers as if it's the end of the world and then have been perfectly fine at the end of the season?

When was the last transfer window were you thought we had done enough to push on or improved or squad.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4846 on: August 01, 2017, 10:48:09 AM »
That Nursey fella on twitter wrote something about it aswell saying the Chinese were trying to run it same way as JP.

When they completed the purchase of the club they told us they were going to be running it in the same way as JP was so its hardly breaking news to us. They have come in and done exactly what the said they were going to do.

BAGGIE5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4847 on: August 01, 2017, 10:50:44 AM »
They might do enough to stay up. But the squad lacks talent. The pure lack of intent every year is rotting away the excitement for fans.

Lai was meant to take it further where peace couldn't. Regardless of running a tight ship. Why talk big like schnerdlin and carvalho. Just don't make sense.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4848 on: August 01, 2017, 11:03:51 AM »
Here's the link from the Daily Mirrors Nursey.

He doesn't state anything which hasn't already been posted on here x amount of times.

Manager in frustration shock.........

https://twitter.com/JamesNursey/status/891944053927030784

James Nursey‏
@JamesNursey
 Follow

in @DailyMirror: Pulis facing frustration as hopes fade of landing Gibson & Smalling. #WBA's Chinese owners trying to run club like Peace.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4849 on: August 01, 2017, 11:17:34 AM »
When was the last transfer window were you thought we had done enough to push on or improved or squad.

Many years ago when Kanu etc was signed.
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.