Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369590 times)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #4625 on: March 15, 2017, 07:04:50 AM »
Thus far the club is being run pretty much the same way that Peace ran it. Lai has not sanctioned spending beyond the club's means and until he does then I think it is safe to assume that he won't.

The club is probably on course to make a significant profit this year regardless of where we finish in the league. I would be surprised if it is less than £20m and it might be as much as £30m. This would be typical for the first year of the new TV contract under Peace, who then reinvested the profit back into the club over the course of the next two years.

Peace did this with a view to realising a long term profit as the TV contract grew through the sale of the club. Lai might also be playing the same game or alternatively he could take the profit in the form of a dividend. Until the next set of accounts is published we won't know.

Lai may have some grander strategic objectives which owning the club contributes to be that influence in China or expansion of his business interests into the UK and Europe but at the moment that isn't clear.

Until something significant changes then I think fans had better view him as a businessman owning a business rather than benefactor who is going to make all their dreams come true .

All that said there will be funds available to strengthen and no doubt the wage bill will increase but only because there is a lot of money swilling through the club because of the TV contract.

Finally it really doesn't matter whether he is here or not provided he allows the local board to get on with the day to day running of the club, which appears to be the case at the moment.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4626 on: March 15, 2017, 07:53:40 AM »
Thus far the club is being run pretty much the same way that Peace ran it. Lai has not sanctioned spending beyond the club's means and until he does then I think it is safe to assume that he won't.

The club is probably on course to make a significant profit this year regardless of where we finish in the league. I would be surprised if it is less than £20m and it might be as much as £30m. This would be typical for the first year of the new TV contract under Peace, who then reinvested the profit back into the club over the course of the next two years.

Peace did this with a view to realising a long term profit as the TV contract grew through the sale of the club. Lai might also be playing the same game or alternatively he could take the profit in the form of a dividend. Until the next set of accounts is published we won't know.

Lai may have some grander strategic objectives which owning the club contributes to be that influence in China or expansion of his business interests into the UK and Europe but at the moment that isn't clear.

Until something significant changes then I think fans had better view him as a businessman owning a business rather than benefactor who is going to make all their dreams come true .

All that said there will be funds available to strengthen and no doubt the wage bill will increase but only because there is a lot of money swilling through the club because of the TV contract.

Finally it really doesn't matter whether he is here or not provided he allows the local board to get on with the day to day running of the club, which appears to be the case at the moment.

Cracking, well balanced and common sense post.

Thank you  8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4627 on: March 15, 2017, 08:31:00 AM »

I'm not sure that Guochuan Lai has the vast amount of wealth that some claim. As I understand it, he is backed, with promised investment, to the tune of around £2.8billion, for the Eco Town projects in China.

I also think he sees WBAFC as a stand alone project, which generates it's own profits.

On the other hand, I can't see that he would want WBAFC to remain as a mediocre mid table Premier League Club, especially if he wants to improve our own, & subsequently his, global profile. On that basis, I expect to see some investment in better players over a series of seasons, either bought in or through our academy.

As things stand at the moment, our best chance of winning something is through the domestic cup competitions, so I would expect us to make a better fist of them next season.

As far as current personnel are concerned, I would expect that they will be given an opportunity to deliver Mr Lai's expectations, if they don't, undoubtedly they will be replaced.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4628 on: March 19, 2017, 01:27:34 PM »
Hey guys,just wondering why he hasn't commented or our chairman on our great win yesterday.
Seems the perfect time to big up the team/club in UK and China.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4629 on: March 19, 2017, 02:01:53 PM »
Hey guys,just wondering why he hasn't commented or our chairman on our great win yesterday.

I don't think he will. He's an investor nothing more.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4630 on: March 19, 2017, 02:06:22 PM »
Doesn't he have any pride? I think he does,I think this fella is clever and we will benefit from it.
The chairman isn't an investor he should at least comment don't you think?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4631 on: March 19, 2017, 02:27:19 PM »
I think that being too bullish tends to back fire, far better to take the long view and let the media do its job and recognise the clubs achievement at the end of the season, which could include

Top chinese owned club in EPL,
Top club in midlands,
Flagship tour of China ....
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4632 on: March 19, 2017, 02:34:13 PM »
Yes albionic I see what your saying,but this is Arsenal that we beat,bang our Chinese drum,I say.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4633 on: March 19, 2017, 02:41:48 PM »
Yes albionic I see what your saying,but this is Arsenal that we beat,bang our Chinese drum,I say.
it'll be buried under how poor Arsenal were as we've already seen. bang that drum as loud as you like, no one will hear you.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4634 on: March 19, 2017, 02:46:26 PM »
But they will hear it in China won't they!
That's the important bit,get our profile up!

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4635 on: March 19, 2017, 03:37:33 PM »
Why would they feel the need to comment specifically on the win yesterday? We are in this league to do all we can to try and compete with the best it's not like it's a one off cup game where we've really defied the odds somewhat it's just another league game regardless of who the opposition was. Would come off as a little small time to me if the owner or chairman only commented on games where we pull of a surprise result against one of the big boys.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4636 on: March 19, 2017, 04:01:23 PM »
Don't forget were only 7points off the top 6,that's impressive for Mr.Lai first season should we finish in 7 the position,isn't 7 the lucky number in China?
Remember that we are unbeaten in two thirds of all our matches this season.
I think that's impressive,the Chinese kids will think the same,get our shirts in their shops,hey Mr.lai sell them in your garden centres get us known.
 Buy a couple of top players in the summer and take them on tour,spread the word in that part of the world.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4638 on: March 19, 2017, 04:22:30 PM »
Don't forget were only 7points off the top 6,that's impressive for Mr.Lai first season should we finish in 7 the position,isn't 7 the lucky number in China?
I think that's impressive,the Chinese kids will think the same,get our shirts in their shops,hey Mr.lai sell them in your garden centres get us known.
 Buy a couple of top players in the summer and take them on tour,spread the word in that part of the world.

To be fair the team in 6th has 2 games in hand on us..

Nothing wrong with bigging us up at the end of the season though when we've secured the position. I'd imagine it would make more sense to sell the next season's shirt rather than this one that will only be valid for 9 more games.

All of this would be far better accomplished during a pre-season tour or in the summer.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4639 on: March 19, 2017, 04:33:33 PM »
If there are one billion Chinese people and if Mr.Lai could sell a shirt to only 1 percent of the population,if I've got my maths correct that's 10 million shirts @ how much each equals,a lot of money and fans,it's an important place to do business is China.
Let's have some,I say.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4640 on: March 19, 2017, 04:41:28 PM »
If there are one billion Chinese people and if Mr.Lai could sell a shirt to only 1 percent of the population,if I've got my maths correct that's 10 million shirts @ how much each equals,a lot of money and fans,it's an important place to do business is China.
Let's have some,I say.

Oh I agree. Was saying they'd more likely target next season as we've only got 9 games left, and we'd be able to use our finishing position/new signings/tour/pre-season friendlies to help

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4641 on: March 19, 2017, 04:50:44 PM »
Of course next season's shirts, incedentally is 10 million times say £50 per shirt equals £500 million!? Or is my mental arithmetic failing me?
Makes you think though doesn't it,

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4642 on: March 19, 2017, 05:14:53 PM »
Of course next season's shirts, incedentally is 10 million times say £50 per shirt equals £500 million!? Or is my mental arithmetic failing me?
Makes you think though doesn't it,

There is something of a wealth divide in China, try 0.05% of the population as a decent target for shirt sales. Or using your figures £25 million. Which is still unlikely imo.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4643 on: March 19, 2017, 05:44:12 PM »

There is something of a wealth divide in China, try 0.05% of the population as a decent target for shirt sales. Or using your figures £25 million. Which is still unlikely imo.
I doubt 0.05% of the population have heard of WBAFC, yet alone have the price of a shirt as disposable income, highest wages in China are in Shanghai@ £250 / month average.  In the country its vastly lower at £900 / YEAR
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4644 on: March 19, 2017, 06:14:36 PM »
I wouldn't expect executive comment on any result good bad or indifferent. Promoting the club in China is a long term objective and in the absence of something truly remarkable happening (think Leicester here) it's going to take 5 years to build anything worthwhile. A good result barely scratches the surface.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4645 on: March 19, 2017, 07:22:40 PM »
I get that,but when you're up,take advantage,tell people about our club,be proud.you must start somewhere.

Baggy nerd

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4646 on: March 19, 2017, 11:18:52 PM »
The one thing we do not want is an owner who is commenting all the time. It always ends in disaster. The best owners are the ruthless/quiet types like at Chelsea/Leicester.

RuncornBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4647 on: March 20, 2017, 11:16:11 AM »

8 Is the chinese lucky number. 

Heyyyyyyy, Tim Sherwood, Oooh, Aahh, I wanna knowwww..........Why you're such a.............

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4648 on: March 20, 2017, 12:59:31 PM »
8 Is the chinese lucky number.
Indeed it is. Now if we could get Demba Ba and get him to wear number 8 we'd be laughing (Ba is how 8 is pronounced).
That is a joke before anyone says anything.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4649 on: March 20, 2017, 02:33:26 PM »
Nothing major, just found this picture hilarious. Taken after the Arsenal game