Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369608 times)

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #4475 on: October 15, 2016, 06:41:42 PM »
TONY has been quoted as having meeting with owner before game as they were leaving right after game. Suggested that there were communication issues but that chairman spoke English?

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4476 on: October 16, 2016, 01:52:37 AM »
TONY has been quoted as having meeting with owner before game as they were leaving right after game. Suggested that there were communication issues but that chairman spoke English?
I don't understand the question. ???
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4477 on: October 16, 2016, 09:21:56 AM »
Yes, I saw the interview on Sky where Pulis said he'd spent 10 minutes with Mr Lai and John Williams before the game having a cup of tea and that he had no more meetings planned with Mr Lai. He then went on to make comments about communication difficulties ("they're lovely people, but the problem with the Chairman (sic) is that he doesn't speak very good English") which he finished off with "luckily for us John Williams speaks English". I'm not quite sure what point he was trying to make there, if any, but judge for yourself:

Sky Sports interview

It had been billed that there would be a full meeting where the January transfer budget would be discussed, presumably amongst other things, but that couldn't have happened in 10 minutes over a cup of tea. Therefore, if discussions did take place along those lines, Pulis couldn't have been involved in them.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4478 on: October 16, 2016, 09:36:42 AM »
Yes, I saw the interview on Sky where Pulis said he'd spent 10 minutes with Mr Lai and John Williams before the game having a cup of tea and that he had no more meetings planned with Mr Lai. He then went on to make comments about communication difficulties ("they're lovely people, but the problem with the Chairman (sic) is that he doesn't speak very good English") which he finished off with "luckily for us John Williams speaks English". I'm not quite sure what point he was trying to make there, if any, but judge for yourself:

Sky Sports interview

It had been billed that there would be a full meeting where the January transfer budget would be discussed, presumably amongst other things, but that couldn't have happened in 10 minutes over a cup of tea. Therefore, if discussions did take place along those lines, Pulis couldn't have been involved in them.

I think I get it, but just to clarify positions? Isn't the Chairman British, & the Owner Chinese? & wasn't that a "subtle" way of saying to TP, you deal though the Chairman?
I guess TP just doesn't do "subtle"
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4479 on: October 16, 2016, 10:16:10 AM »
I think it is clear that Williams is in day to day charge of the club and Lai isn't going to be a hands on owner. Pulis' relationship is not with owners but with Williams and Hammond. Broadly I think this a good thing but we will have to see how things develop.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4480 on: October 16, 2016, 12:51:59 PM »
Anyone seen that interview in the official site with the other gentleman,not sure what his name is, but he seems very keen. They have invested in ten companies and have over a billion invested in projects they said I think

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4481 on: October 16, 2016, 12:59:31 PM »
Anyone seen that interview in the official site with the other gentleman,not sure what his name is, but he seems very keen. They have invested in ten companies and have over a billion invested in projects they said I think

Weilin Yin, the CEO of the Yunyi Investment Group.

http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/new-albion-owner-guochuan-lai-is-back-at-the-hawthorns-today-for-the-premier-league-clash-with-tottenham-hotspur-3362967.aspx

Ed: Typescript below.

"My name is Weilin Yin. I am a founding partner and CEO of Yunyi Investment. Our company was founded in 2014. To date, we have invested in ten projects inside and outside China. The funds we manage exceed RMB 1 billion. We are the lead manager and coordinator of West Brom’s acquisition.

In the sports sector, we have looked into many potential targets. But ultimately, we focused our attention on West Brom. Why have we been drawn to West Brom? West Brom was founded in 1878, and from our visit of the stadium, history museum, and our talks with the management team, we discovered the clubs incredibly rich history and heritage. From a business perspective, this club is the only one of all the ones we’ve looked into that is completely debt free. Its financial operations are very sound.

We had a discussion with Mr Lai. We were completely won over by his charisma. He does not only have an understanding but a real passion for football. He is truly committed to football, which is also reflected through his hobbies and interests. We can see that Mr Lai is a football fan and a good football player. He organised his compnany’s own employees football league and built a corporate football culture, which encouraged the love of football and sports in the whole company. So Mr Lai is the only one we believe will be a good leader for West Brom. He is the only one who can devote himself heart and soul to help operate the club.

This is the first time ever that a buyer from mainland China acquires an English Premier League club. We will ensure that such an excellent club with historical heritage is in good hands. Another very important reason to invest in West Brom is that its football training academy is best-in-class in the United Kingdom. I believe this football training academy will not only strengthen and secure West Brom’s own football heritage but also influence the Chinese football training system in the future".
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 01:28:32 PM by SmethDan »
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4482 on: October 16, 2016, 03:45:23 PM »

http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/new-albion-owner-guochuan-lai-is-back-at-the-hawthorns-today-for-the-premier-league-clash-with-tottenham-hotspur-3362967.aspx

"My name is Weilin Yin. I am a founding partner and CEO of Yunyi Investment. Our company was founded in 2014. To date, we have invested in ten projects inside and outside China. The funds we manage exceed RMB 1 billion. We are the lead manager and coordinator of West Brom’s acquisition.

In the sports sector, we have looked into many potential targets. But ultimately, we focused our attention on West Brom. Why have we been drawn to West Brom? West Brom was founded in 1878, and from our visit of the stadium, history museum, and our talks with the management team, we discovered the clubs incredibly rich history and heritage. From a business perspective, this club is the only one of all the ones we’ve looked into that is completely debt free. Its financial operations are very sound.

We had a discussion with Mr Lai. We were completely won over by his charisma. He does not only have an understanding but a real passion for football. He is truly committed to football, which is also reflected through his hobbies and interests. We can see that Mr Lai is a football fan and a good football player. He organised his compnany’s own employees football league and built a corporate football culture, which encouraged the love of football and sports in the whole company. So Mr Lai is the only one we believe will be a good leader for West Brom. He is the only one who can devote himself heart and soul to help operate the club.

This is the first time ever that a buyer from mainland China acquires an English Premier League club. We will ensure that such an excellent club with historical heritage is in good hands. Another very important reason to invest in West Brom is that its football training academy is best-in-class in the United Kingdom. I believe this football training academy will not only strengthen and secure West Brom’s own football heritage but also influence the Chinese football training system in the future".
Thank you for that information.Very interesting.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

Jimbo Baggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4483 on: October 16, 2016, 06:47:35 PM »
Who was the other guy sitting with Mr Lai, fellow Chinese. Was this his interpreter. Mr Lai looks so little and looks about 15-16. I like that he is making an effort when free to come over and watch us. I'm intrigued to know how much he is willing to sanction to spend January. Think we need another creative midfielder, and another striker. Think the full backs could do with freshen up as well. Wonder if Mr Lai will be over again near Christmas.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4484 on: October 16, 2016, 06:50:11 PM »

If my calculations are correct, RMB 1 billion = circa £120 million. Should we be impressed?

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4485 on: October 16, 2016, 08:26:38 PM »
No we shouldn't be impressed. The more financial info disclosed the clearer it is that the Chinese consortium who bought us do not have any significant wealth to invest in the club. We have been let down by Peace.

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4486 on: October 16, 2016, 08:39:48 PM »
The one issue that worries me is that both Lai and the gentleman on the this video both talk about how we are debt free and also our excellent academy and how that will help in China. I hope they don't see us simply as a way forward to improve football over there. Worrying times if they have no more money as I hoped peace would sell to someone with a little more clout

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4487 on: October 16, 2016, 09:03:01 PM »
No we shouldn't be impressed. The more financial info disclosed the clearer it is that the Chinese consortium who bought us do not have any significant wealth to invest in the club. We have been let down by Peace.

No, not necessarily true.  There are 3 parties who have come together to make up the consortium and we have no idea of their collective wealth.  All you are seeing here is the level of funds managed by one of the three investors.

To put it into context, Peace had no significant wealth other than his shareholding in the club.  He had no ability to put any new money in.

Whether the new owners have £100m, £500m or £1 billion of available wealth is irrelevant.  Because of the FFP rules and the natural constraints of a ground with 26,000 capacity, they are unlikely to put in much more than £100m of new money, even if they could.

There are only about 7 or 8 clubs in the Premier League who have owners capable of putting in much more than £100m, so it is naive to think that we were ever going to suddenly become a Man City or a Chelsea.  I for one am very glad of that.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4488 on: October 16, 2016, 09:03:35 PM »
Anybody that thought Peace would prioritise the future of the club (and 'pick' new owners on this basis) above his own gain was sorely mistaken

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4489 on: October 16, 2016, 10:45:53 PM »
You Peace haters ain`t going to let it rest are you Peace has sold us to a consortium that is a lot wealthier than he will ever be and as overseasbaggie states we don`t know there worth lets not get on there backs and give them a chance bloody hell its only been a few weeks

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4490 on: October 16, 2016, 11:13:15 PM »
There is no way of knowing how wealthy the various players in the ownership are, however they dropped over £150m on buying a football club without borrowing any money so maybe they aren't exactly paupers

Most owners are not investing their personal wealth in football clubs the last great sugar daddy were the Mansours at City. Football clubs do not need subsidy to survive or even thrive. Most Premier League clubs make money but all owners are by definition rich on the grounds football clubs are expensive things to buy but it doesn't mean they are putting any significant investment into the clubs far from it. 

No owner is going to go some sort spending spree it was never going to happen and as such fans have no right to be disappointed.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4491 on: October 17, 2016, 12:19:55 AM »
The group are massively loaded, there is a lot of money available. There was in the summer, just a case of convincing £20+ million players to actually sign

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4492 on: October 17, 2016, 07:24:10 AM »
Anybody that thought Peace would prioritise the future of the club (and 'pick' new owners on this basis) above his own gain was sorely mistaken

and your evidence is what exactly?
MAGA!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #4493 on: October 17, 2016, 08:08:26 AM »
I am sure we have a damn sight more money than last season. The richest the club has ever been.Once we have a head coach with flair in mind and a plan b i am sure we will see some high profilers signing for us
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4494 on: October 17, 2016, 08:13:13 AM »
I am sure we have a damn sight more money than last season. The richest the club has ever been.Once we have a head coach with flair in mind and a plan b i am sure we will see some high profilers signing for us

Trouble is that even though we may be the richest we have ever been, other clubs have either caught up or overtaken us or certainly looks that way. But new owners.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4495 on: October 17, 2016, 08:21:15 AM »
Personally I am pleased that we have not bought everybody and his brother, if we have money then there is absolutely no point telling everyone. The good doctor down the road did that and look at the muggings he has had........

As always, time will tell. TP has eluded to getting one or two quality signings in during the next window, so lets just wait and see.
MAGA!

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4496 on: October 17, 2016, 08:28:34 AM »
Trouble is that even though we may be the richest we have ever been, other clubs have either caught up or overtaken us or certainly looks that way. But new owners.

Have they though?

Most of the clubs above us have wealthy owners, plenty of clubs with wealthy owners below us as well, I fully accept that we have improved slowly and some years appear to have stood still or even gone backwards, but overall our trajectory is upwards when you look at our squad, the youth coming through and the infrastructure around the club.

Its very easy to talk down our club, to knock the manager, the lack of high profile transfers, but a lot of what we do, we do very well, like in life, being negative only damages yourself.

I prefer a glass half full approach myself, I'm sitting here this morning, had a great weekend, been to watch an absorbing top class draw which my team fully deserved, our local rivals are struggling in lower divisions, probable investment in January, what's not to be content about. :)
Baggie in Southampton

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4497 on: October 17, 2016, 08:35:56 AM »
The group are massively loaded, there is a lot of money available. There was in the summer, just a case of convincing £20+ million players to actually sign

Slimani, Camacho, Kluse, Benteke - we were clearly and genuinely in for some of them at £18m to £30m and not just by spending Berahino sale monies (if he had been sold). And that's on top of buying Chadli and Nyam (if we treat the sale of Chester as having funded the purchase of Phillips).

And those targets were BEFORE the deal was officially sanctioned, don't forget.

There's money there to enable us to compete with the likes of Stoke, Southampton, Palace, Everton, West Ham etc in the transfer market, which is the best we can realistically hope for.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4498 on: October 17, 2016, 08:40:25 AM »
Have they though?

Most of the clubs above us have wealthy owners, plenty of clubs with wealthy owners below us as well, I fully accept that we have improved slowly and some years appear to have stood still or even gone backwards, but overall our trajectory is upwards when you look at our squad, the youth coming through and the infrastructure around the club.

Its very easy to talk down our club, to knock the manager, the lack of high profile transfers, but a lot of what we do, we do very well, like in life, being negative only damages yourself.

I prefer a glass half full approach myself, I'm sitting here this morning, had a great weekend, been to watch an absorbing top class draw which my team fully deserved, our local rivals are struggling in lower divisions, probable investment in January, what's not to be content about. :)
Good Post BP. Let's wait till January and then see if the Mr Lai and Mr Williams comes up with the money.  Negativity is a problem amongst some Albion fans these days.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4499 on: October 17, 2016, 08:45:28 AM »

I'm not sure that's true. Palm, Mr Lai's landscaping company, turns over circa £500 million per year, but the eco-town project is backed, by investors, to the tune of £1.8 billion.

IMO, Mr Lai's consortium see the acquisition of WBA as an investment opportunity, so it's quite conceivable that the academy could be viewed as a) a model to replicate several times over in China & b) as a footballer "production line" revenue stream. It's also quite conceivable that the consortium could see WBAFC as model family club, again to replicate in China, & one to place in each of the eco towns.

To ensure the continuity of the model, & to make it more attractive, there will have to be some investment in players, & possibly coaching staff.
Winning something would attract the attention of the Chinese people, & our best bet at the present time is one of the domestic cup competitions.
IMO, we will buy some players in January, but as Overseas Baggie has said, I doubt if our annual spend on transfer fees & wages will be above £100 million.