Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369613 times)

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #4150 on: August 21, 2016, 12:08:36 AM »
Going off what Williams has said, the club do find themselves in a tricky place.

Dunk off Brighton, good player, definitely worth a look. But £12m?

Schlupp.... A reserve at another club, again he could add an element we need, but £12m...?

Benteke (I don't think we were actually interested btw), had a v good year with Villa, went to L'pool and bombed, £30m + a MASSIVE wage....

I don't disagree with the club not paying these fees, but it does beg the question who will we get in. I can only hope Europe is the answer.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4151 on: August 21, 2016, 12:11:13 AM »
Wouldn't that give the his club an extra £100 million of cash? to spend on players - which is what fans want?

Cash shortage aint the problem, availability of players is.

Shush John there is no mony to spend...  ;)

Going off what Williams has said, the club do find themselves in a tricky place.

Schlupp.... A reserve at another club, again he could add an element we need, but £12m...?

Benteke (I don't think we were actually interested btw), had 2/3 v good year with Villa, went to L'pool and bombed, £30m + a MASSIVE wage....

I don't disagree with the club not paying these fees, but it does beg the question who will we get in. I can only hope Europe is the answer.

Fixed mate...
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

stoxman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4152 on: August 21, 2016, 08:57:07 AM »
Pretty sure it was to lighten the mood...  The first suggestion of misspelling came from Geoff himself.

Or perhaps we are actually signing Mark E' from Stevanage...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_E%27Beyer

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4153 on: August 21, 2016, 09:40:15 AM »
Well the way i look at it is we either want these players or we don't. If we do and we think they are good enough go for them, if not or we think they are overpriced move on to another target.
We have been linked with Schlupp for over a month now, Leicester don't want to sell, we think he's overpriced, why do we keep wasting time with it? Is he our only target,haven't we identified anymore since May?

What i think and from what others have said, is that the takeover isn't officially ratified until October, after the window is closed. So the targets are the ones we would have gone for if the takeover hadn't gone through.
It would also explain Pulis's job being safe and Mr Lai's comment about this season being just about staying up.
Changes will come in January, i just hope we aren't in the bottom 3 by then.
Typical Albion so slow in getting deals across the line when both Vile and Dingles have been taken over and are up and running.
Fingers crossed guy's, this is going to be a long season.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4154 on: August 21, 2016, 10:10:03 AM »
Wouldn't that give the his club an extra £100 million of cash? to spend on players - which is what fans want?

Cash shortage aint the problem, availability of players is.

Depends on the intention of Lai & Co when buying the club.  They may have been intending to buy it for £150m and inject an extra £50m to buy new players, but JP forced them up to nearly £200m to buy the shares.

It doesn't look likely that the new owners will inject anything until the deal is approved, and JP doesn't have cash available.

Nothing I have seen or heard changes my view - there is only going to be substantial cash to spend if we sell players in this window. Otherwise I'll be amazed if there is a net spend of more than £15m - is that one player or two?

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4155 on: August 21, 2016, 10:17:00 AM »
 i think the new owners need to bin JP. Having appointed a new chairman who obviously knows his way round a football club i fail t see the need. Having made awful footballing decisions over a period of time to leave him around and by the looks of it overseeing a continuation of our failed transfer policy of the last few years is  nonsensical. Should the worst happen and we fail to escape the trapdoor the blame should be laid firmly at Jp´s door and not the new owners  i just hope come next May people remember this  >:( :( >:(
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4156 on: August 21, 2016, 10:25:40 AM »
Peace should shoulder most the blame. He ran the squad with minimum investment into the ground spending the bare minimum on basement bucket signings who continually failed.
Pulis aswel spent £15 million on Chester,lambert and mcmanaman where was the due diligence then?
Prices are inflated and pulis is reluctant to buy from abroad, or is it more he his reluctant to buy flair players because he can't coach them?

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4157 on: August 21, 2016, 10:42:44 AM »
i think the new owners need to bin JP. Having appointed a new chairman who obviously knows his way round a football club i fail t see the need. Having made awful footballing decisions over a period of time to leave him around and by the looks of it overseeing a continuation of our failed transfer policy of the last few years is  nonsensical. Should the worst happen and we fail to escape the trapdoor the blame should be laid firmly at Jp´s door and not the new owners  i just hope come next May people remember this  >:( :( >:(

Got to admit that during the excitement of the takeover the news that JP was staying on to 'advise' put a bit of a dampener on it as it sounded a bit too much like 'business as usual'.
This club desperately needs an injection of fresh ideas and investment in the FIRST TEAM squad , needs a little AMBITION, needs to awake from this small time mentality and an almost thankful for doing the minimum attitude around the place.
Reading Williams' notes in the programme didn't really fill me with any more inspiration and sounded like he was happy to just limp along with the bare minimum like JP and take his excellent (no doubt) salary package. His quote
"In a restricted market, prices are high and we accept that. But some of the prices we are being quoted are quite frankly too high."
really does disturbed me as, yes, I'm sure all Chairman think that but they have to deal and compete in the Market that's shaped in front of time. Whatever he thinks we have to do business and show some ambition in that market otherwise we go backwards and the Club continues to stagnate.
The empty seats and same old same old home performance yesterday should really be a warning sign to the new owners - let's hope they can do something in the next week or so though, after being initially optimistic, I now really doubt we'll get much as business as usual for our Club continues.

The Palace result kick started the season well and bought a bit of transfer time. However, the poor creative quality and offensive play yesterday, after a bright first twenty minutes and the confidence of an early goal, soon illuminated the same old difficencies that haven't been addressed and we fell back into a very familiar turgid home performance relying upon a few lump ups, minimum possession and set pieces to try and get a goal. Why can't we ever press on and get a second, a third when we go one up at home ???

BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4158 on: August 21, 2016, 10:49:29 AM »

JP has to stay on for the time being to protect his investment - the sale hasn't completed yet.  No prudent businessman would step down completely during an interim stage like this.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4159 on: August 21, 2016, 10:51:49 AM »
Got to admit that during the excitement of the takeover the news that JP was staying on to 'advise' put a bit of a dampener on it as it sounded a bit too much like 'business as usual'.
This club desperately needs an injection of fresh ideas and investment in the FIRST TEAM squad , needs a little AMBITION, needs to awake from this small time mentality and an almost thankful for doing the minimum attitude around the place.
Reading Williams' notes in the programme didn't really fill me with any more inspiration and sounded like he was happy to just limp along with the bare minimum like JP and take his excellent (no doubt) salary package. His quote
"In a restricted market, prices are high and we accept that. But some of the prices we are being quoted are quite frankly too high."
really does disturbed me as, yes, I'm sure all Chairman think that but they have to deal and compete in the Market that's shaped in front of time. Whatever he thinks we have to do business and show some ambition in that market otherwise we go backwards and the Club continues to stagnate.
The empty seats and same old same old home performance yesterday should really be a warning sign to the new owners - let's hope they can do something in the next week or so though, after being initially optimistic, I now really doubt we'll get much as business as usual for our Club continues.

The Palace result kick started the season well and bought a bit of transfer time. However, the poor creative quality and offensive play yesterday, after a bright first twenty minutes and the confidence of an early goal, soon illuminated the same old difficencies that haven't been addressed and we fell back into a very familiar turgid home performance relying upon a few lump ups, minimum possession and set pieces to try and get a goal. Why can't we ever press on and get a second, a third when we go one up at home ???

Can't help thinking that a defeat v Palace may have actually been more beneficial - "buying extra time" in the transfer market may have lowered the urgency !

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4160 on: August 21, 2016, 11:11:01 AM »
Can't help thinking that a defeat v Palace may have actually been more beneficial - "buying extra time" in the transfer market may have lowered the urgency !

Fair comment but it was a very good performance (and great day out !) and we really needed to start positively this season.

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4161 on: August 21, 2016, 11:12:48 AM »
JP has to stay on for the time being to protect his investment - the sale hasn't completed yet.  No prudent businessman would step down completely during an interim stage like this.

He's doing a superb job hampering the club's transfers at present - he's protecting his investment alright by the club spending a negative amount in the transfer market !!1   >:(

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4162 on: August 21, 2016, 12:22:00 PM »
He's doing a superb job hampering the club's transfers at present - he's protecting his investment alright by the club spending a negative amount in the transfer market !!1   >:(
All of which you can prove in a Court of Law? :-X
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4163 on: August 21, 2016, 12:54:32 PM »
All of which you can prove in a Court of Law? :-X

I'm not in a Court of Law............just a fan who spends fortunes on the Club and cares about it more than Peace !!!!

Please don't try to be a clown !

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4164 on: August 21, 2016, 01:56:18 PM »
I'm not in a Court of Law............just a fan who spends fortunes on the Club and cares about it more than Peace !!!!

Please don't try to be a clown !
Hey, I'm not the one making libelous comments  ;)
You crack on.  :-X
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 01:58:06 PM by VVVAlbion »

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4165 on: August 21, 2016, 02:07:34 PM »
Hey, I'm not the one making libelous comments  ;)
You crack on.  :-X

the club spending a negative amount in the transfer market

looks pretty factual as this moment !  If he's staying on at present then he's currently in charge of the mess surely ?

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4166 on: August 21, 2016, 03:10:33 PM »

looks pretty factual as this moment !  If he's staying on at present then he's currently in charge of the mess surely ?
surely the chairman is in charge?..or the new owners?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4167 on: August 21, 2016, 05:46:55 PM »

"He's doing a superb job hampering the club's transfers at present"  :P

He might be, he might have absolutely nothing to do with our lack of transfers.

baggyman68

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4168 on: August 21, 2016, 07:06:51 PM »
I can't understand why someone would buy  club for millions and not spend further to protect the investment.
The transfer debacle is only damaging a poor reputation and alienating the fans.
 Being a hard negotiator is ok but it needs give and take and knowing when you have to pay a bit extra to get the best players you can, not just stropping off and ending up with panic buys  like Anichebe.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4169 on: August 21, 2016, 07:11:03 PM »
I can't understand why someone would buy  club for millions and not spend further to protect the investment.
The transfer debacle is only damaging a poor reputation and alienating the fans.
 Being a hard negotiator is ok but it needs give and take and knowing when you have to pay a bit extra to get the best players you can, not just stropping off and ending up with panic buys  like Anichebe.

Because they haven't actually bought it yet!

They've agreed to buy the club but it is subject to approval.  The deal doesn't complete until it is approved.  Until then, Peace remains the owner.   

baggyman68

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4170 on: August 21, 2016, 10:07:59 PM »
Because they haven't actually bought it yet!

They've agreed to buy the club but it is subject to approval.  The deal doesn't complete until it is approved.  Until then, Peace remains the owner.
So they just watch as their potential investment goes down the pan? 

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4171 on: August 21, 2016, 10:47:51 PM »
So they just watch as their potential investment goes down the pan?

It's not theirs yet.  They can't lose any money if it hasn't cost them anything.  Whereas if they throw debt our way and fail to get clearance then it will either cost them money or leave us with debt.  Not prudent for either party.

BaggieBrainy

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #4172 on: August 21, 2016, 10:48:50 PM »
Should never have announced himself until deal was completed ... More disarray for us fans ... I am really struggling to believe we are going to spend a reasonable amount of money on new recruits , glad I didn't buy a season ticket for the first time in 17 years

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #4173 on: August 21, 2016, 10:58:22 PM »
Should never have announced himself until deal was completed ... More disarray for us fans ...

you can never win can you...

Fans complain when the Club says nothing...

and now they complain when they do...
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4174 on: August 21, 2016, 11:06:32 PM »

Benteke (I don't think we were actually interested btw), had a v good year with Villa, went to L'pool and bombed, £30m + a MASSIVE wage....

But, if they are the players the scouts and management believe in then you have to maybe even go over the going rate to get them in - it's sounds like we don't seem capable of understanding the 'new world' this summer regarding inflated values............either pay for what you really need or get cheap gambles in and hope and pray we don't go backwards - not a good footing for the new regime to start off with regarding instilling some belief in the fanbase.