Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369699 times)

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #3850 on: August 05, 2016, 04:11:43 PM »
Is he worth £1.8bn though, or is his previous company worth £1.8bn?

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3851 on: August 05, 2016, 04:12:31 PM »
Welcome Guochuan Lai and good luck :D. Also thanks and good luck to JP for everything you did for the club.

Zebidee

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3852 on: August 05, 2016, 04:18:29 PM »
just read that our new owner is worth 1.8 billion.
That's his personal wealth I think, but sounds like he's a front man for other, more wealthier investors that sound happy to help fund him towards goals
* Formerly known as Satisfcuktion *

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3853 on: August 05, 2016, 04:21:50 PM »
That's his personal wealth I think, but sounds like he's a front man for other, more wealthier investors that sound happy to help fund him towards goals

That's just the market value of a business he is involved in.

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3854 on: August 05, 2016, 04:27:32 PM »
Firstly, Whatever you want to think of Jeremy Peace, you can't deny that he has bought stability to the club in the background and we still remain as one of the very few profitable clubs with no debt. So for that I say thank you Mr Peace for leaving my club in a solid financial position before moving on.

However, I do think that this takeover has come at pretty much just the right time to help progress the club to the next level. I'm cautiously optimistic of course, but in a world where billionaire owners in the prem are becoming commonplace now it was important for us to get ourselves near that level to continue to compete financially with some of the other clubs, in particular if we want to compete with the London based clubs we needed something like this to happen because lets face it, even some of the "smaller" clubs down there can still pull people in purely because they are in London so a little extra financial clout is always good to have.

One thing about new owners, they tend to stamp their mark on arrival with either a marquee signing (or 2) or a change of manager (or both). it remains to be seen what will happen for us in the remainder of the transfer market but if he's trying to market the club in China and attract further fans/investors over there then I find it difficult to see Pulis being at the club beyond the end of his current contract if we continue to play un-entertaining "hoof it and hope" football for the whole season. I still think he'll keep us up, but it will be painful viewing watching us squeeze the life out of a game to get the points we need....

Anyway, my two cents on the matter.

Cautiously Optimistic, waiting to see how it all unfolds.
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3855 on: August 05, 2016, 04:30:34 PM »
Can i have a big slice then please?  :)
Relief was my first emotion as i am sure it was for the majority of us.

I have to say i am pleased with this takeover, we have a young ambitious owner with a fast growing company, who hasn't shouted he will be pulling up trees but progressively trying to turn us into a top half club. Thats good enough for me.
The appointment of John Williams is also pleasing as he has knowledge of the premiership and english leagues, and Peace staying on in an advisory role is probably the icing on the cake.

People are saying he isn't that rich, he is a billionaire ffs, it doesn't matter how many billions an owner has, none of them will throw billions at a football club.

What i am hoping for is that when we identify a player who can improve us on the field, we can go out and compete for his signature without all the silly haggling that used to go on and leave us adrift in the transfer window.
Not talking about superstars but good honest pro's who can drive us forward.
We have done well so far living on a shoestring it will be nice to have someone who will back us in the window.

Good man! Never doubted your wanting the best for club and happy a takeover has settled you down. Hopefully we can start enjoying the club again mate.

Now do you want ice cream or custard with that pie ;)

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3856 on: August 05, 2016, 04:45:44 PM »
Still got a lot of reservations over this move. Most of all, however, we have become a classic premier league club and decreased the English ownership by one.?The guys heart is in the right place by the looks and he isn't getting too carried away, but I just fear for the typical Far East takeover and anonymity that is now so familiar in football. It's sad that we've lost our English owner now to the global premier league and become one of the rest in that sense. That's what I've always loved about the club, proud to be part of the Black Country, now I just feel that we have lost that a little. I hope we can keep our name, our grounds name and all that belongs to us too  ::)

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3857 on: August 05, 2016, 04:53:18 PM »
Just watched his ITV interview and he comes over ever so well.
http://www.itv.com/news/central/update/2016-08-05/video-why-the-new-chinese-owner-of-west-bromwich-albion-thinks-it-was-meant-to-be/?
No notes used but a good knowledge of the club in his head. very interesting he mentioned the 1978 ground breaking tour under Atkinson to China!
"It is the tradition of the club and the fans in which we trust"

Throstletown

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3858 on: August 05, 2016, 05:10:00 PM »
New owner, new vision, ambition and communication, welcome 

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3859 on: August 05, 2016, 05:11:28 PM »
I'm pretty sure he was, but, if I'm wrong I stand corrected. Blackburn fans all say the loss of him was the beginning of the decline though.

" Williams joined Rovers in 1997 as chief executive under Jack Walker, two years after the club had won the Premiership title.

Following the benefactor’s death in 2000, Williams was the custodian of the Walker legacy, overseeing promotion back to the Premiership in 2001, Worthington Cup glory in 2002 and 10 successive seasons in the top flight before his departure in February 2011 following the takeover of the club by Venky’s".

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/14664539.Former_Blackburn_Rovers_chief_John_Williams_to_take_over_as_West_Brom_chairman/

Doesn't really matter anyway, excellent reputation.

Welcome to the club Mr Williams  8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3860 on: August 05, 2016, 05:19:26 PM »
Now do you want ice cream or custard with that pie ;)

Neither.
Divinewind likes his Sarah Hughes Ruby Mild and Black Country Real ales.

He'll be seen swallowing his humble pie whole with a slurp of funny juice while singing in joyous celebration.
He'll then jump onto a table with a wench on his arm before disappearing into the night.

Tora Tora Divinewind and Skol  8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

section5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3861 on: August 05, 2016, 05:23:06 PM »
Just watched his ITV interview and he comes over ever so well.
http://www.itv.com/news/central/update/2016-08-05/video-why-the-new-chinese-owner-of-west-bromwich-albion-thinks-it-was-meant-to-be/?
No notes used but a good knowledge of the club in his head. very interesting he mentioned the 1978 ground breaking tour under Atkinson to China!

This interview has relieved some of my initial worries and fears , seems he will adopt a laissez faire attitude to the squad and transfers, thus the appointment of an experienced knowledgeable chairman to deal with the day to day essentials and running of the club.
Hopefully we can expand into the Chinese market without "selling out" as it were, we need continued growth matched with stability and I hope we don't go stupid now we've got a bit of cash,  just sensible.
Seems like the throstle will be incorporated a lot now due to the bird link with Guangzhou, good marketing tool for over there and restore a bit of tradition and heritage over here.
Overall a lot more optimistic, hopefully it's not all a facade and we can start realistically looking at strengthening and building a squad with higher quality players than we may have previously been able to attract, and become a top half/mid table team without constantly flirting with relegation
COYB

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3862 on: August 05, 2016, 06:53:18 PM »
Think it's a very sensible approach by William's regarding transfers, what's the point in coming out and saying we're going to throw money around like its gone out of fashion, other clubs are going to see this and suddenly add 10 million into the asking price. I just hope we become a solid we'll run club that shows some ambition to get ourselves up the league by playing a semblance of entertaining football.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3863 on: August 05, 2016, 07:00:12 PM »
The Albion being owned by a business doesn't really sit right by me too well.
I want things to succeed, but being owned, what stops them getting rid of less lucrative parts?
Also a few years down the road, they could sell to another corporation who wont want to look after the finer things of our club and history.

Sorry to put a gloomy look to this thread, but it has to be mentioned.

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3864 on: August 05, 2016, 07:18:39 PM »
I want things to succeed, but being owned, what stops them getting rid of less lucrative parts?
Also a few years down the road, they could sell to another corporation who wont want to look after the finer things of our club and history.

Technically we were owned by a business under Peace.

LongBridge Baggie1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3865 on: August 05, 2016, 08:10:14 PM »

If's and but's mate, so far He's said the right things

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3866 on: August 05, 2016, 08:26:26 PM »
I went through a few pages, but couldn't find the posting.
What was the Chinese for Hawthorns please.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3867 on: August 05, 2016, 08:31:46 PM »
My initial thoughts on the takeover are generally positive

Firstly the resolution to the ownership issue is welcome because it has been plain that Peace has wanted to sell and without a resolution the club is in danger of treading water.

Secondly I am delighted that the new owners have chosen to appoint an experienced Chairman in John Williams. Equally given his recent experience of the Venkey's William's acceptance of the appointment would suggest that he believes that Lai is a decent owner.

While Guochuan Lai's initial comments have been measured and I'm pleased that there hasn't been any grandiose statements of intent we will only know how the club will be run once he has taken charge. However the appointment of Williams would suggest that our new owner won't meddle in the day to running of the club.

It is unclear as to the resources the new owners bring to the table nor their willingness to make additional investment in the club nor where this investment fits into the grander ambitions that the Chinese government harbours with regard to football.

We will only see how this works over the course of years, it is looking promising but we can't take anything for granted.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 10:23:55 PM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3868 on: August 05, 2016, 08:44:44 PM »
The proof is in the pudding as they say and only time will tell if the takeover can move us forward. One thing I will say is that I'm delighted with all the noises they are making, none of this rubbish about having x amount to spend and targeting Champions League in a couple of years like some have done.

Zebidee

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3869 on: August 05, 2016, 09:03:09 PM »
Flicking through channels earlier, and that prog called room 101 with frank skinner.... A guy in it was talking about its silly the huge amount of money they get paid for kicking a ball. He thought franks local team was West Ham lol... Frank gave him a death stare lol
Then they guy said about imagine if a multi billionaire came in and put a lot of money into west brom, then they would become a big team around the world, he said something like but no one would do that.. And audience laughed.

Bit of coincidence that is on tv, the day we get taken over lol

Zebidee

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3870 on: August 05, 2016, 09:09:36 PM »
I read in here last year when rumours of take over was going around, that peace left east and west stand with no name on purpose, to maker them free for renaming for any potential future buyers. Is this true?

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3871 on: August 05, 2016, 09:13:02 PM »
I just ask all us fans to feel a bit more positive ( not over the top positive) & give the new owners a chance to show us their intent. Here's to the future.
Baggie till i die 

Zebidee

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3872 on: August 05, 2016, 09:27:45 PM »

Zebidee

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3873 on: August 05, 2016, 09:33:18 PM »
He says new chairman, TP and Nick will have full support whenever needed :)

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3874 on: August 05, 2016, 09:40:34 PM »
Does anyone have the feeling the Sakho dealing could have fallen through due to the fact we might be looking at a higher quality of player maybe? Wishful thinking maybe on my part as I'm sure Pulis etc will have met the prospective owners before today but maybe the all clear came only a few days ago and we called the deal off as we have been given bigger funds to chase better players.