Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369624 times)

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #3175 on: July 28, 2016, 12:02:55 PM »
Is 'Pulis defending' the opposite of 'Pulis bashing'? If so I'm sure he'd like that term! :D

Haha! I genuinely like pulis... but I think in terms of players we would like to see and the style of football, the club would benefit from a different head coach, will be interesting if and when the takeover is complete what happens with pulis.... will they keep him or get rid

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3176 on: July 28, 2016, 12:08:53 PM »
1. We are likely to be in a relegation battle.

Not convinced we will  be

2. Style of play.

Surely TP will bring players in to suit his style of play, a player not suited, would surely be wasted wouldn't he?

3. Relegation flex down of wages.

I don't think we'll be relegated, but any player who kicks against flex down can't be very confident in his own ability, or that of his potential team mates, & therefore I wouldn't want him.

4. Location.
What's wrong with the location? There are some fabulous places to live & bring up young children within an hour of the training ground

5. Club lacking ambition.
I think the fact that JP has made the club available for sale shows that it does have ambition. Whether it's ambition aligns with yours remains to be seen, but we can't accuse the club of lacking in ambition

Wages don't seem to be too much of an issue these days as it appears we are willing to pay well. Am I also right in thinking that some agents won't deal with JP (and vice versa). If so this obviously narrows our target pool.

With new owners and new head coach I believe that all of the above (except for location) would change.

It's alleged that agents find JP difficult to deal with, but that means he's looking after the interests of the football club, so that doesn't bother me in the slightest. As I understand it both the club & players use agents these days, so his reputation can't be that bad.

I think it would be wrong to assume that any change of ownership, would necessarily result in a change of playing style.Football is a results driven business, & providing the results are positive, playing style will be a secondary consideration
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 12:31:26 PM by baggiejohn »
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3177 on: July 28, 2016, 12:09:20 PM »
If I was a player today I would consider the current set up ,training facilities,stadium,current players etc and think with my help this could be a great team.
You know with a positive attitude ,wages are good ,live in Cotswolds an hour away,this club has an ambition to be top half to eighth,then who knows.
But hey that's me.
I do get a bit fed up with the negativity.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3178 on: July 28, 2016, 12:27:20 PM »
If I was a player today I would consider the current set up ,training facilities,stadium,current players etc and think with my help this could be a great team.
You know with a positive attitude ,wages are good ,live in Cotswolds an hour away,this club has an ambition to be top half to eighth,then who knows.
But hey that's me.
I do get a bit fed up with the negativity.

On the location thing, I'm surprised we don't pick up more of the Cheshire lot (ex l'pool / everton /man u / man c), we are the next prem club past Stoke coming south and the only players i can think of recently from that part of the world are Fletch, Lambert, Vic, or am i missing something?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3179 on: July 28, 2016, 12:30:41 PM »
so back to the Takeover, no new rumours and the olds ones, where have they gone
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3180 on: July 28, 2016, 12:34:14 PM »
Not convinced we will  be
We flirted with it last year and without a few quality signings we will again this season. We only finished 6 points above the zone don't forget and were in relegation form at the end of last season.

Surely TP will bring players in to suit his style of play, a player not suited, would surely be wasted wouldn't he?
Whilst I agree with you it certainly narrows the field even further. I expect to see more limited workhorses join us.

I don't think we'll be relegated, but any player who kicks against flex down can't be very confident in his own ability, or that of his potential team mates, & therefore I wouldn't want him.
I disagree. One or two players may not be able to singlehandedly turn us around. Besides players will go for the best deal for them as we all would in our own careers. A choice between a wage flex down or not I know which I would choose.

What's wrong with the location? There are some fabulous places to live & bring up young children within an hour of the training ground
Totally agree with you. I love the area but other areas (London) will always have a bigger pull.

I think the fact that JP has made the club available for sale shows that it does have ambition. Whether it's ambition aligns with yours remains to be seen, but we can't accuse the club of lacking in ambition

If we are sold then we will move forwards IMO. Whilst JP is still in charge we will only ever be looking for survival. Maybe not enough to whet the appetite of some players?

It's alleged that agents find JP difficult to deal with, but that means he's looking after the interests of the football club, so that doesn't bother me in the slightest. As I understand it both the club & players use agents these days, so his reputation can't be that bad.

I think it would be wrong to assume that any change of ownership, would necessarily result in a change of playing style.Football is a results drive business, & providing the results are positive, playing style will be a secondary consideration
Maybe not but results (look at the last 10 games especially) have been poor regardless of style. Something may have to change.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3181 on: July 28, 2016, 12:53:38 PM »
TBH I'm sick of it now and all the negativity and spouted dross that goes with it.
I would have been happier to not have known that the club was up for sale and then an announcement made od 5th August (or whenever) to the effect of guess what? We've been taken over.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

ABaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3182 on: July 28, 2016, 01:01:29 PM »
TBH I'm sick of it now and all the negativity and spouted dross that goes with it.
I would have been happier to not have known that the club was up for sale and then an announcement made od 5th August (or whenever) to the effect of guess what? We've been taken over.

The club hasn't said anything?

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3183 on: July 28, 2016, 01:07:25 PM »
Whether we get taken over or not is not really important....what is important is that we have only signed one player! We had an average squad last season that needed changing.
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3184 on: July 28, 2016, 02:04:47 PM »
The club hasn't said anything?

Peace said: “I entered into an exclusivity arrangement in good faith after agreeing terms for the sale but it is now clear to me that this potential purchaser is unable to fulfil the terms of that agreement at this time.”
 ::)

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3185 on: July 28, 2016, 02:09:01 PM »
Peace said: “I entered into an exclusivity arrangement in good faith after agreeing terms for the sale but it is now clear to me that this potential purchaser is unable to fulfil the terms of that agreement at this time.”

When did Peace say this?

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3186 on: July 28, 2016, 02:11:23 PM »
That was last year wasn't it.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3187 on: July 28, 2016, 02:14:22 PM »
Kin hell, deja Vu !

please make it stop, I'm drifting into some sort of dystopian alternative universe here !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3188 on: July 28, 2016, 02:15:24 PM »
If that was this time last year what has got to do with the situation now? I'm lost?

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3189 on: July 28, 2016, 02:16:45 PM »

That was a year ago!!

What was he supposed to do...sell the club anyway just to please the fans that want him out at any cost?

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3190 on: July 28, 2016, 02:18:07 PM »
That was a year ago!!

What was he supposed to do...sell the club anyway just to please the fans that want him out at any cost?

Exactly

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3191 on: July 28, 2016, 02:31:05 PM »
That was a year ago!!

Nothing of the sort.
My reply was to ABaggie who had stated that the club had made no comment regarding a take over.
That post was to show that (though a year old) the club had commented on the club being up for sale.

Calm down boys  ???

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3192 on: July 28, 2016, 02:35:19 PM »
Nothing of the sort.
My reply was to ABaggie who had stated that the club had made no comment regarding a take over.
That post was to show that (though a year old) the club had commented on the club being up for sale.

Calm down boys  ???

Yeah but ABaggie was talking about the possible takeover NOW

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3193 on: July 28, 2016, 02:37:42 PM »
Yeah but ABaggie was talking about the possible takeover NOW

ok I rest my case then

LongBridge Baggie1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3194 on: July 28, 2016, 02:50:05 PM »
Nothing of the sort.

Calm down boys  ???
Well quoting that without saying its a year old is trolling your own fans to be fair mate

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3195 on: July 28, 2016, 02:50:52 PM »
ok I rest my case then

What was your case, out of interest?

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3196 on: July 28, 2016, 03:27:51 PM »
I don't understand your Earth logic I'm afraid. The only ambition demonstrated by Peace putting the club up for sale is his ambition to make an absolute shedload of money out of the club having personally put next to no money into it.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3197 on: July 28, 2016, 03:36:28 PM »
I don't understand your Earth logic I'm afraid. The only ambition demonstrated by Peace putting the club up for sale is his ambition to make an absolute shedload of money out of the club having personally put next to no money into it.

That's business. He made an investment and it's paid off big time. The fact that he is leaving us in much better shape financially and onfield, is enough for me to say thanks Jezza, you deserve every single penny you get for diligently running our club which is one of very few that have no debt. We should be thanking him, despite his prudence and definite reluctance in the transfer market to over commit. Sure we've missed out on a few players and let a few go at inopportune times, but overall you cannot knock the job he has done. If you do, then you are naive (not saying you are personally, just in general). £7 million + is hardly next to no money.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3198 on: July 28, 2016, 03:48:18 PM »
That's business. He made an investment and it's paid off big time. The fact that he is leaving us in much better shape financially and onfield, is enough for me to say thanks Jezza, you deserve every single penny you get for diligently running our club which is one of very few that have no debt. We should be thanking him, despite his prudence and definite reluctance in the transfer market to over commit. Sure we've missed out on a few players and let a few go at inopportune times, but overall you cannot knock the job he has done. If you do, then you are naive (not saying you are personally, just in general). £7 million + is hardly next to no money.
Is £7m+ what he paid when he first bought shares in the club then because, as I understand it, everything that's happened since then has been paid for by the club in one way or another.

I'm quite cynical about it though, particularly at present, due to having been one of those who wasn't financially able to buy additional shares a few years back, so mine were compulsorily purchased for less than they were worth given the valuation of the club not long after.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3199 on: July 28, 2016, 04:19:12 PM »
A football match is played over 90 minutes, the summer transfer window is played over 62 days, be patient, it's not even half time yet.

We say this every year.
The simple facts are this. At the end of the season a manager should know the strengths and weaknesses of a side. He should know what players he wants to keep, those he wants to get rid of and he would also have a good idea of who he would like, how much they would be likely to cost, how much he is allowed to spend, and if the transfer from the club in question is a non starter or not.
So when the season ends, we should have an in and out list and as soon as the window starts we should be ready to do business.
 But it never works like that, weeks pass and then we hear we are eyeing someone, or tracking someone. FFS these players should have been feckin eyed tracked and sounded out last year.
We have all these names banded about and we sign none of them, we watch as they sign for Stoke, Watford Palace etc, and at the same time our own players become unsettled due to lack of team strengthening.

... and then someone comes on and says, relax, we have until the end of August to sign players.

Taxes, death and Jeremy Peaces non activity in the transfer window, life's three certainties.