Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369623 times)

divinewind

• WBA Coach

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #3125 on: July 27, 2016, 08:52:07 PM »
It would be nice to have an owner who, in the window asks a club how much they want for a player, then say ok there you go, and not have one who is still haggling two years down the line.
Laughing stock.
See how long it takes Wolves to sign players now they have a bit of dosh. Some of them we were after too.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3126 on: July 27, 2016, 09:03:07 PM »
It would be nice to have an owner who, in the window asks a club how much they want for a player, then say ok there you go, and not have one who is still haggling two years down the line.
Laughing stock.
See how long it takes Wolves to sign players now they have a bit of dosh. Some of them we were after too.

Pretty sure we'll end up spending more (transfer fees & wages) in this transfer window than Wolves. Our average wages will be £2 million a year per player, Wolves is more likely to be £1 million per year per player.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

ABaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3127 on: July 27, 2016, 09:19:13 PM »
Laughing stock.

Wow! Let me know the next time you want to buy something. I'll sell it to you

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3128 on: July 27, 2016, 09:22:20 PM »
Laughing stock.
Lerner was trying to sell villa for what feels like 5-6 years, it was only when their stock hit the floor that anyone became mildly interested. On the other hand JP managed to find a buyer, lose it then find another and supposedly broker the deal in two with a significantly smaller pool of buyers. how many people can realistically buy a club for £200 million and support it? We are in points of a percentage here.

Also, as far as I can tell, wolves have made one transfer and that was a 32 year old keeper. They aren't exactly reeling them in.

Finally, people don't just throw their money away. They are smart enough to make it so MOST know how to broker a deal. Only a stupid owner would give the first estimate and then has every right to be taken advantage of. That, would be a laughing stock by buying poor players for overinflated prices then coming dead last, see QPR and Villa for examples in the last 3/4 years

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3129 on: July 27, 2016, 09:23:29 PM »
"do you want this penny? It'll cost £5"

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3130 on: July 27, 2016, 09:34:49 PM »
I think it was this thread where I posted, a few weeks ago, about JP & his relationship with the Football Club. In my opinion, JP recognises that the club matters to the fans.
If you consider some of the fans on this forum are spread far & wide across the globe, but the one thing that pulls them together is primarily, they are rooted to West Bromwich, & West Bromwich Albion is their football club. Dave Bowler's blog a few days ago, illustrated the feelings & emotions associated with this football club a lot better than I can.
I believe Jeremy Peace recognises that, & has said so on more than one occasion, the one time JP forgot that, was when he left the club in Mark Jenkins hands about 3 years ago, & he had to come back & get his hands back on the tiller.

With that in mind, I do not believe JP will sell us down the river, if we are to change ownership, I believe JP will have been very selective in who he does business with, & I expect a smooth transition from JP to the new owners.
Once the new owners are in place, there will be a different set of objectives, but the the one ethos I hope will remain is that West Bromwich Albion matters to the fans

Spot on mate. Word for word, spot on.

This is our club. You know, that right now, none of us have come to support us for money. Nobody has come here and stuck around to see us buy the best players in the world. Nobody pledges an allegiance to West Bromwich Albion, founder members of the football league, winners of domestic honours, revolutionaries in giving black footballers a chance, for the money in their bank accounts. Some came and stayed because they saw The King, Bomber, Laurie, Cyrille and Willie. Some came and stayed because several generations did and Albion is in their blood. We have never been rich, never flashed the cash, never fielded a team worth hundreds of millions. We are all here because we love the club.

It's why some of us hate the defensive football we play right now. It's why some of us can't bare to feel like we are falling behind. It's why people want, ultimately what's best for the club, which for 138 years has existed, thrived, played good football, bad football, bought and sold players that should have stayed here and some that never should have arrived here. We've not had the luxury of being able to flash the cash, but here we all are, loving our club.

That's all we have going into this potential takeover; support. It might not happen, it might happen but not be the owner you wanted. It might go incredibly well and we buy our way to success, but it could just as well be a big failed experiment. Providing we stick to our guns, we remember why we came here and why we stayed, it doesn't matter what happens.

So where we may all differ in opinions on players, managers or Chairmen, remember why you're here; the club and nothing else. What happens, happens. What money is spent, is spent. Whoever comes and goes from here on out, just remember why YOU, and your Dad, your Mom, sisters, brothers, Grandpas and Grandmas got to this point. You're here because of our history, you're here because no other club dragged you in, you're here because even if you see a game differently to 25,000 other people, you're here for what West Bromwich Albion was founded for; to sit back and enjoy the ride. We may be bought out by someone who doesn't get that, who doesn't understand why you're here. But as long as we remain, stepping into this period of complete and utter unknowns doesn't need to be anything other than a page in a story that keeps writing itself.

So whoever steers this ship from here on out, you're here because you made a choice. And that choice wasn't bought or sold by anyone. And it never, ever should be. Untold billions can't buy that. So look after it.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3131 on: July 27, 2016, 09:41:07 PM »

Well, i wouldn't like to go to supermarket with you, i like to be out in an hour. :)

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3132 on: July 27, 2016, 09:52:47 PM »
Hey Psalm,you almost brought a lump to my throat,it was like an address to us all.
Very well said and I agree with you whole heartedly.

sconesy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3133 on: July 27, 2016, 09:56:25 PM »

This is our club. You know, that right now, none of us have come to support us for money. Nobody has come here and stuck around to see us buy the best players in the world. Nobody pledges an allegiance to West Bromwich Albion, founder members of the football league, winners of domestic honours, revolutionaries in giving black footballers a chance, for the money in their bank accounts. Some came and stayed because they saw The King, Bomber, Laurie, Cyrille and Willie. Some came and stayed because several generations did and Albion is in their blood. We have never been rich, never flashed the cash, never fielded a team worth hundreds of millions. We are all here because we love the club.

It's why some of us hate the defensive football we play right now. It's why some of us can't bare to feel like we are falling behind. It's why people want, ultimately what's best for the club, which for 138 years has existed, thrived, played good football, bad football, bought and sold players that should have stayed here and some that never should have arrived here. We've not had the luxury of being able to flash the cash, but here we all are, loving our club.

That's all we have going into this potential takeover; support. It might not happen, it might happen but not be the owner you wanted. It might go incredibly well and we buy our way to success, but it could just as well be a big failed experiment. Providing we stick to our guns, we remember why we came here and why we stayed, it doesn't matter what happens.

So where we may all differ in opinions on players, managers or Chairmen, remember why you're here; the club and nothing else. What happens, happens. What money is spent, is spent. Whoever comes and goes from here on out, just remember why YOU, and your Dad, your Mom, sisters, brothers, Grandpas and Grandmas got to this point. You're here because of our history, you're here because no other club dragged you in, you're here because even if you see a game differently to 25,000 other people, you're here for what West Bromwich Albion was founded for; to sit back and enjoy the ride. We may be bought out by someone who doesn't get that, who doesn't understand why you're here. But as long as we remain, stepping into this period of complete and utter unknowns doesn't need to be anything other than a page in a story that keeps writing itself.

So whoever steers this ship from here on out, you're here because you made a choice. And that choice wasn't bought or sold by anyone. And it never, ever should be. Untold billions can't buy that. So look after it.
That my friend is a particularly class post.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 10:13:02 PM by MarkW »

baggyman68

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3134 on: July 27, 2016, 10:10:43 PM »
well what happened with the big vic purchase? was he beaten down to 6 million?

Manc Baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3135 on: July 27, 2016, 10:51:44 PM »
Well, i wouldn't like to go to supermarket with you, i like to be out in an hour. :)
This 100%

Rybs

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #3136 on: July 27, 2016, 10:55:08 PM »

Long time reader and extremely minimal poster on this forum. That is the best post on here I've ever seen.

Here here.

charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3137 on: July 27, 2016, 11:10:09 PM »

.  Amen !   The Lords My Shepherd

Manc Baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3138 on: July 27, 2016, 11:18:22 PM »

Quality post.

Pureade1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3139 on: July 28, 2016, 12:47:42 AM »

Long time reader of this forum but rarely post. This is probably the best post I have ever seen on this forum.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3140 on: July 28, 2016, 08:05:22 AM »

Please could someone with ITK contacts ensure that JP sees this post? Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 09:22:46 AM by kris_boing »

BaggieVN

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #3141 on: July 28, 2016, 08:49:29 AM »

Thank you for that. Appreciated! I support this club because of Cyrille and Laurie. I was five years old at the time and we were top of the league. One of my ongoing questions this year has been how many new supporters Leicester have got because of winning the league.

I don't come from the Black Country or the West Midlands. Based on family and where I grew up, my real team should be Manchester United or Spurs. As a kid I had far more contact with both these teams than with West Brom, and as a kid I got teased. Why West Brom? West Brom are sh*t, which is probably why I stuck with this club.

That season we beat Wolves to promotion I was living in Hanoi. I spent Saturday night after Saturday night in an Internet cafe listening to every game live on the radio.

The season of the great escape I was in a bar in Saigon, going crazy, the only Baggies fan out of 200 in the building. Everyone looked at me like I was mad.

And that game where we beat Arsenal 3-2 away under RDM, I was sat in another bar in Vietnam, a huge grin on my face, getting patted on the back by so many people I couldn't count.

It doesn't matter where you come from or why you started supporting this club, or how good or bad our football is, once it's in your blood it's there for life.

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3142 on: July 28, 2016, 08:59:18 AM »
Can`t put letters into words like PsalmXX111 but that's exactly how I and most of the baggies fans would be thinking its a wonderful post never read better.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3143 on: July 28, 2016, 09:14:14 AM »

Bostin post PsalmXXIII.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3144 on: July 28, 2016, 09:15:10 AM »

Great stuff, PsalmXXIII. As far as Albion is concerned, whilst the present can be very difficult to take for one reason or another, fans will always have hopes and dreams for the future.

You ought to hop onto a plane to the States and take part in the Democrats' convention!  ;D

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3145 on: July 28, 2016, 10:04:00 AM »
One of my ongoing questions this year has been how many new supporters Leicester have got because of winning the league.

I don't come from the Black Country or the West Midlands. Based on family and where I grew up, my real team should be Manchester United or Spurs. As a kid I

Ironically, I don't originate from the Black Country either, but I do originate from the East Midlands, & spent a lot of my youth watching Leicester City go to Wembley twice & lose twice. They are still the only team in the country to have been to three FA cup finals & lost them all.
I moved to the West Midlands 30 years ago with my job, & had an office near to Black Lake, quite close to Trev the Shed.
Although my own political beliefs tend to be middle of the road, my Dad was staunch Labour, & so I was able to identify strongly with some of the feelings expressed by some of the Black Country people I met.
Inevitably conversations turned to football & particularly the rivalries between WBA & Wolves. One of my work colleagues invited me to join him at the Albion one Saturday, I remember the match well, we sat in the rainbow, played QPR & we went on to draw 1 - 1 after taking the lead through Richard Sneekes, Dennis Smith was Manager.
From that moment on, I was smitten, two seasons later, I bought a season ticket & I've had it ever since.

West Bromwich Albion is my team now, & I know I'll never be a Black Country Lad, but most of you will, at least, put up with me  :)

kanu

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #3146 on: July 28, 2016, 10:07:08 AM »
Are we really being taken over? And will we see any changes this season? Doesn't look like it and there doesn't seem any truth in stories that the new owners are funding transfers. What transfers? 1 player in and he arrived a year late. Leicester want 10m for Schlupp and we have offered 9m, that's typical Peace, not some billionaire pulling the strings while the paperwork on a takeover is agreed.
And as for Pulis, well a leopard doesn't change his spots. Last summer he said he wanted to buy specialist full backs and bought 2 centre halfs. This summer he's been banging on about specialist full backs again yet we're just linked with centre halfs. He's telling us what we want to hear, fact is he's going to play 4 centre halfs across the back and tough luck if it's boring. What was the point of Hammond? We all knew TP would just buy the type of player he wanted and not listen to any recommendations. I mean why chase Phillips for so long? Macmanamans a better out and out winger anyway but Pulis never plays him, after chasing him and making him one of his first signings.
TP promised us midfield flair yet we all know it'll be Maclean and Gardner starting until at least the end of August. Who doesn't agree that we can't stay up again with them pair as regulars?
Sorry for the doom and gloom but it's all this talk of new owners, better players and a more exciting style to watch coupled with zero activity that is killing me. Hopefully in the next day or so I'll be proved wrong and the new owners will be announced followed by 4 or 5 new players.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3147 on: July 28, 2016, 10:08:41 AM »
Are we really being taken over? And will we see any changes this season? Doesn't look like it and there doesn't seem any truth in stories that the new owners are funding transfers. What transfers? 1 player in and he arrived a year late. Leicester want 10m for Schlupp and we have offered 9m, that's typical Peace, not some billionaire pulling the strings while the paperwork on a takeover is agreed.
And as for Pulis, well a leopard doesn't change his spots. Last summer he said he wanted to buy specialist full backs and bought 2 centre halfs. This summer he's been banging on about specialist full backs again yet we're just linked with centre halfs. He's telling us what we want to hear, fact is he's going to play 4 centre halfs across the back and tough luck if it's boring. What was the point of Hammond? We all knew TP would just buy the type of player he wanted and not listen to any recommendations. I mean why chase Phillips for so long? Macmanamans a better out and out winger anyway but Pulis never plays him, after chasing him and making him one of his first signings.
TP promised us midfield flair yet we all know it'll be Maclean and Gardner starting until at least the end of August. Who doesn't agree that we can't stay up again with them pair as regulars?
Sorry for the doom and gloom but it's all this talk of new owners, better players and a more exciting style to watch coupled with zero activity that is killing me. Hopefully in the next day or so I'll be proved wrong and the new owners will be announced followed by 4 or 5 new players.

pretty much how i see it mate
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3148 on: July 28, 2016, 10:12:05 AM »

Bloody hell I felt depressed until I read that now I feel suicidal.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3149 on: July 28, 2016, 10:13:38 AM »

A football match is played over 90 minutes, the summer transfer window is played over 62 days, be patient, it's not even half time yet.