Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369614 times)

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #2800 on: July 23, 2016, 04:08:36 PM »
That's the issue. Lots of people want Peace out. You can say goodbye to tradition when he goes as foreign investors won't care. I hope the 'Peace out' crowd do not start moaning when things change because it's unrealistic to think we will simply improve and not sell naming rights etc at the same time.

The pinstripe home shirt?

I also think a lot of the reason we haven't done naming deals and the like already is because Peace sets his price and won't budge. We had no sponsors on our shirts for 2 years because he wouldn't cave.

LongBridge Baggie1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2801 on: July 23, 2016, 04:31:37 PM »
Dalian Wanda group haven't bought the UFC, they bid but lost out to WME-IMG group.
I was sure Dave Meltzer said they were the money behind WME-IMG because of UFC so badly wanting to break into China. If I'm mistaken though I apologise and retract. Just out of interest, do you take your screenname from Silva?

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2802 on: July 23, 2016, 05:00:04 PM »
I was sure Dave Meltzer said they were the money behind WME-IMG because of UFC so badly wanting to break into China. If I'm mistaken though I apologise and retract. Just out of interest, do you take your screenname from Silva?

No mate, they lost out to WME-IMG in the "bidding war". They were actively pursuing it though. $4.4 billion isn't a bad return on the $2m that the Fertitta's paid for it in 2000.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2803 on: July 23, 2016, 05:20:34 PM »
Rename?

Birds nest with Throstle in it?  :P

We could call it "Soup of The Day" :(

LongBridge Baggie1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2804 on: July 23, 2016, 05:28:37 PM »
No mate, they lost out to WME-IMG in the "bidding war". They were actively pursuing it though. $4.4 billion isn't a bad return on the $2m that the Fertitta's paid for it in 2000.

I follow now The Wanda backed bid was $4.2 Billion, so, lost out by £200m as you say not a a bad day at the office for the Fertita's. Think Rogan will stay? He's been there since 12. The SEG era, PPV ban era, Zuffa and the growth. It'll be a shame if he goes.

darby009

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2805 on: July 23, 2016, 07:19:38 PM »
I hope not.

I understand why you hope it isn't ... But it is an easy way to fudge FFP and inject funds into the club for players and looks legitimate.... Regardless we and traditional fans across the country will still call it the hawthorns just like the still called it st James park in Newcastle

LongBridge Baggie1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2806 on: July 23, 2016, 07:28:51 PM »
Found this It's an interesting read as to why we are an attractive buy

http://www.policyforum.net/chinas-soccer-spending-spree/

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2807 on: July 23, 2016, 08:35:54 PM »
I follow now The Wanda backed bid was $4.2 Billion, so, lost out by £200m as you say not a a bad day at the office for the Fertita's. Think Rogan will stay? He's been there since 12. The SEG era, PPV ban era, Zuffa and the growth. It'll be a shame if he goes.

Yeah for sure. Rogan would do that job for free (no joke), they won't want to change a winning formula. White stays on as president also, increasing his 9% stake apparently too. If he had decided to cash in he would have got $360mil for a $180,000 investment. He will carry on running things and has increased his shareholdings in the company.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2808 on: July 23, 2016, 09:27:25 PM »
Found this It's an interesting read as to why we are an attractive buy

http://www.policyforum.net/chinas-soccer-spending-spree/

At that level I'd say Manchester United were more attractive than WBA. The commentator is already mentioning Liverpool, I'd say we're well out of that League.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

BaggieVN

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2809 on: July 24, 2016, 02:03:54 AM »
We could call it "Soup of The Day" :(

How about The Noodle Bowl? Or even The Noodle Soup Bowl?

BAGGIES4LIFE

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2810 on: July 24, 2016, 09:29:31 AM »
'Shan Zha' is chinese for Hawthorns - doesnt sound too bad !  Popular herbal berry in chinese medicine.  The Shan Zha Stadium it is then!

LongBridge Baggie1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2811 on: July 24, 2016, 10:40:16 AM »

At that level I'd say Manchester United were more attractive than WBA. The commentator is already mentioning Liverpool, I'd say we're well out of that League.

I would agree John, if it was pre-Glazer Man utd. Their finances are such a mess now and linked with the Sub-Prime Crash of 2007. If there are any accountants here that can explain PIK (Paid In Kind?) Loans and hedge funds I'd be grateful. Liverpool very well may happen, The thing is with that current American Owner is in Litigation with the previous American Owner that needs to cleared or dropped first

newbaggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2812 on: July 24, 2016, 12:22:40 PM »
Has anyone heard anymore whispers Chinese or otherwise ?Im 69 now, cant take much more of this intrigue.One of my neighbours who never talked about football has suddenly become a dingle.Keeps on about who they are going to buy the managers they are looking at etc.To be honest it seems to have gone very quiet.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2813 on: July 24, 2016, 12:45:31 PM »
Has anyone heard anymore whispers Chinese or otherwise ?Im 69 now, cant take much more of this intrigue.One of my neighbours who never talked about football has suddenly become a dingle.Keeps on about who they are going to buy the managers they are looking at etc.To be honest it seems to have gone very quiet.

Don't get excited,i'm sure nothing will happen, we go through this ritual every season. We hear we might be bought, we see a list of players who we are "eyeing" and "tracking", then watch them sign for another club.
Just before the start of the season, Peace breaks his silence and says he couldn't come to a compromise and it's business as usual.
We enter the new season with a weaker squad than we finished the last one with, and send August eyeing and tracking players nobody has bought before the season starts.
We then end up making a few panic buys on the last day of the window,usually players who are no better than we already have.
Funny thing is,we all buy into this rubbish and get excited year after year. :(

LongBridge Baggie1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2814 on: July 24, 2016, 12:49:13 PM »
   :D Not yet mate But these things take time to do properly. See Vanderlei and I's Discussion on the UFC. Every expert In Anglo-Chinese trade say yes it's likely who to? no one knows yet. Thing with both Vile and Dingles both outgoing owner were either Multi Millionares or Billionaires with money losing albertrosses. Look at the Dings deal the new owners only have to put in £20m over two years! It ain't that great. Peace has done more for Pulis. Its better to get the right deal for the club than a venky's. It wasn't going through the club would have squashed it by now on the OS

LongBridge Baggie1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2815 on: July 24, 2016, 12:52:26 PM »

There you go son both sides of the same coin  ;D

parksey1972

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2816 on: July 24, 2016, 01:12:04 PM »
Long time lurker here.

Listened to WM at the start of the week when Dingles were taken over, and figures were quoted £20m to £30m over the next 2 seasons.
The dingle fans were getting excited saying they will buy 5 or 6 players this window, each about £5 or £6m. Lol

newbaggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2817 on: July 24, 2016, 02:23:05 PM »
The way I see it,would JP be able to keep a lid on it.If something was going on surely it would have been leaked.I personally hope an investor takes over ,but if it falls through again it would make me wonder about JPs motives,as some other posters have mentioned.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2818 on: July 24, 2016, 02:27:37 PM »
The way I see it,would JP be able to keep a lid on it.If something was going on surely it would have been leaked.I personally hope an investor takes over ,but if it falls through again it would make me wonder about JPs motives,as some other posters have mentioned.

There's probably only about 3 people in the Albion who know who the buyer is. I doubt meetings are held in the normal offices and the buyers won't leak as it'll alert other buyers.

Professionals with alot to lose won't be leaking.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2819 on: July 24, 2016, 02:57:20 PM »
There's probably only about 3 people in the Albion who know who the buyer is. I doubt meetings are held in the normal offices and the buyers won't leak as it'll alert other buyers.

I would say there's only one person in the Albion who Knows who the buyer is, & that's the person who's selling. There is no need for anyone else to know.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2820 on: July 24, 2016, 03:04:18 PM »
I would say there's only one person in the Albion who Knows who the buyer is, & that's the person who's selling. There is no need for anyone else to know.
I think you will find there are others within the club who know. That is if it is being sold.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2821 on: July 24, 2016, 03:41:48 PM »
I think you will find there are others within the club who know. That is if it is being sold.

Trust me Kev, the sale will have to be very advanced, to the point where it will impact on the football club's executives, before they will know. I've been an executive in a company that acquired other companies, & the deal was done before we got to know.

LongBridge Baggie1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2822 on: July 24, 2016, 04:57:25 PM »

I doubt even if the meetings would be held in this country. Hasn't Peace got a place in Dubai? I'm with John in thinking only people in Peace's closest circle knows who they are. The only time I can see it leaking is when it goes to the FA for ratification. The fit and proper test

Bazabaggie73

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2823 on: July 24, 2016, 05:27:07 PM »
The wolves take over didn't leak, there's was done and dusted before anything was announced, will probably be the same as ours if it happens

RogerBadoo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2824 on: July 24, 2016, 05:53:02 PM »
I have been involved in numerous deals and all parties will be working under strict NDA's - only those directly involved will be aware. So that might well in this case exclude everybody other than Peace and the FD (almost certainly need to be involved in the development of the due diligence documentation) plus his lawyers and accountants. Keeping in mind everybody in that group stands to make a lot of money out of the deal then it is no great surprise that we've heard nothing. In fact I think the silence tells us the deal is progressing along nicely. The new buyers will be keen to undertake the work quietly as well - they might well be listed and therefore not keen to share a deal until they are forced to. All of the above is normal and just because its a football club doesn't fundamentally change any of the rules of engagement.

I would imagine the only time fans will get any news is once everything is signed and done.