Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369559 times)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #2175 on: July 04, 2016, 08:46:43 AM »
Would be surprised if anything happened on this now, the timing just seems wrong. Surely if someone had genuine intentions of buying, in order to build a brand, they would want a full pre-season and control over all transfers. What's the point of buying a club towards the end of the window? If we have a bad start and are down the bottom, they will not be able to react until January and that might be too late. In effect they could be spending £200m, or whatever it is, to buy a team destined for the Championship.
I'm not saying that will happen, before I get slated for negativity, just pointing out that time could be running out.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2176 on: July 04, 2016, 08:51:33 AM »
The takeover will have no effect on the day to day running of the football club. If I wanted to buy Sainsburys, it wouldn't mean they would run out of carrots.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2177 on: July 04, 2016, 09:05:16 AM »
The takeover will have no effect on the day to day running of the football club. If I wanted to buy Sainsburys, it wouldn't mean they would run out of carrots.

When carrots go off...they turn black.
Who wants to buy anything with orange and black on it?   :P

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2178 on: July 04, 2016, 09:05:33 AM »
Yes but Sainsbury's do not have a transfer window for buying carrots.  ;D
The window restricts the influence of any new owner, and their money, between Sept - January. If the day to day running is based on JP's budget them we will be shopping at the lower end of the market, whereas the new bloke may have the finance and ambition to shop at the higher end, therefore the timing has to have an effect.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2179 on: July 04, 2016, 09:12:53 AM »
so all 4 west midlands teams could potentially have Chineese owners, i really expected interest from India considering our involvement there
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2180 on: July 04, 2016, 09:14:44 AM »
That just means the local press isn't doing it's job. JP doesn't own the local press and it's their job to report the news. It's not their job to look after the interests of JP.

Sorry to disagree, if the T/O is happening surely it means confidentiality agreements are being adhered to, football press would be the last to know particularly local presss, I think the financial press would know sooner

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2181 on: July 04, 2016, 09:16:01 AM »
Let me try to help some understanding here. Do you guys know how stocks & shares work? If you buy a share in a business, you are in effect loaning that business your money & in return you get a share of the profits. If the business thrives, it's value will increase, so if you the sell your share, you'll make an additional profit.

The more shares you buy, the more influence you can have, so once you own 50% you have what is called a controlling interest.

I can't remember how many shares JP owns in WBA, but it's something like 70%.

I've no knowledge of the details, but it's possible that it's JP's controlling share that's on offer.

So you're a Chinese businessman, with a very limited knowledge of European woops English culture, & an even more limited knowledge of how a football club works, but you can see an opportunity. Are you really going to come in tomorrow & make demands on transfers & day to day stuff, or are you going to observe for a while, & make prods here & there to make sure you retain your EPL status. Meanwhile you're improving your knowledge in where football sits in the European culture, & creating plans to get the maximum exposure for WBA & ultimately your company, which is why you bought the f*cking thing in the first place?

Throstletown

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2182 on: July 04, 2016, 09:30:56 AM »
I will believe it when/if it happens.
Chinese whispers when we concentrate on India to invest in coaching.
That does not make sense when China wants to hold a world cup, surely if they were coming in they would want that coaching investment with their grass routes to establish a brand.
Weve had the international players transfer rumours, weve had the mystery Chinese billionaire takeover now the lads and pensioners are going to run up mountains in Austria again.
Whats the season ticket count I hear JP shouting!

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2183 on: July 04, 2016, 09:33:43 AM »
The best policy with all of these things is to assume nothing will happen until it is announced.

I'm more concerned that rivals are currently stealing a march in the transfer window which, with the amount of money floating around this season, is a dangerous position to be in. We knew we were safe a number of weeks/months ago and unsurprisingly the Albion are left behind as ever.

Throstletown

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2184 on: July 04, 2016, 09:47:53 AM »
JP dont like paying wages for pre season
TP will say they have not had a proper pre season
Same old same old

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2185 on: July 04, 2016, 09:48:17 AM »
Let me try to help some understanding here. Do you guys know how stocks & shares work? If you buy a share in a business, you are in effect loaning that business your money & in return you get a share of the profits. If the business thrives, it's value will increase, so if you the sell your share, you'll make an additional profit.

The more shares you buy, the more influence you can have, so once you own 50% you have what is called a controlling interest.

I can't remember how many shares JP owns in WBA, but it's something like 70%.

I've no knowledge of the details, but it's possible that it's JP's controlling share that's on offer.

So you're a Chinese businessman, with a very limited knowledge of European woops English culture, & an even more limited knowledge of how a football club works, but you can see an opportunity. Are you really going to come in tomorrow & make demands on transfers & day to day stuff, or are you going to observe for a while, & make prods here & there to make sure you retain your EPL status. Meanwhile you're improving your knowledge in where football sits in the European culture, & creating plans to get the maximum exposure for WBA & ultimately your company, which is why you bought the f*cking thing in the first place?
Appreciate the (attempted) education, but all you have offered is your interpretation of how it will work.
It could just as easily be interpreted thus.
You are investing £200m in a stable but. at risk business, do you sit back and hope that the current incumbent can keep it afloat, or, do you affect it as much as possible to ensure that you have something to build on come January.
I'm not saying this is correct, how would I know, I'm just saying that if it was me I would want it done as early as possible.

Throstletown

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2186 on: July 04, 2016, 09:56:27 AM »
I agree if I was investing that amount of cash I would want to protect my investment, get rid of Pulis and get some quality in ready to go first game of the season.
Premiership or bust at that price or simply buy the Dings for a pittance and invest in players.
Its a con, worked last year so use it again, whats the season ticket total!

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #2187 on: July 04, 2016, 10:02:40 AM »
Jeremy owns approximately 88%

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2188 on: July 04, 2016, 10:03:35 AM »
Appreciate the (attempted) education, but all you have offered is your interpretation of how it will work.
It could just as easily be interpreted thus.
You are investing £200m in a stable but. at risk business, do you sit back and hope that the current incumbent can keep it afloat, or, do you affect it as much as possible to ensure that you have something to build on come January.
I'm not saying this is correct, how would I know, I'm just saying that if it was me I would want it done as early as possible.

TBH with your scenario, I wouldn't, invest that is?

On another note why do you feel the need to be sarcastic, undoubtedly there will be some on this board who have some understanding of the issues, but we're a broad church, & so it's realistic to assume that some won't. I was just trying to paint a picture to support my argument & maybe help some posters to understand my reasoning.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2189 on: July 04, 2016, 10:19:06 AM »
TBH with your scenario, I wouldn't, invest that is?

On another note why do you feel the need to be sarcastic, undoubtedly there will be some on this board who have some understanding of the issues, but we're a broad church, & so it's realistic to assume that some won't. I was just trying to paint a picture to support my argument & maybe help some posters to understand my reasoning.
It came across as a bit condescending mate and, let's face it, none of us fully understand what is going on, so it is all pure speculation.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2190 on: July 04, 2016, 12:00:01 PM »
It came across as a bit condescending mate and, let's face it, none of us fully understand what is going on, so it is all pure speculation.

If you're posting across a broad spectrum of people, some posts will be condescending to some & helpful to others, Not always, but most of the time, I try to rise above it, otherwise you get drawn into areas you'd rather not go.

So let's get back to your scenario.
If I were looking to invest £200 million in a UK football club, & there was any risk, I just wouldn't do it. I'd look for a club to invest in as an improvement project, Birmingham City for example, & I'd expect to get that for about £50 million. Bit like buying a house, you'd either pay top money for a modern property, or buy a run down property with a view to increasing it's value by modernisation.

If we now look at the motives for buying, Abramavich bought Chelsea as a tax sink, in my opinion, he would be paying tax at such a high rate that he off-set it by buying Chelsea, so Chelsea is being paid for by some tax payers somewhere.
Modern purchasers of football clubs tend to buy to promote brands, & perhaps a bit of tax sink also. The work we are doing in India,while outwardly altruistic, is really trying to promote the WBA brand. So, in effect, we're just a huge billboard.
Now if you look at the exposure the EPL gets, I think I might want some of that, but there's only 20 clubs I can latch on to, & if I want exposure in the wider European market, there's only 6, perhaps 7 with the cup winners, so supply and demand would suggest that the top 6 clubs are more valuable than the rest.

Going back to the billboard, the billboard's in a pretty good position, but it's a bit rough round the edges, so it might want a bit of money spending on it to make it a bit more presentable.

Going back now to the alleged situation at the Albion, if negotiations are indeed well down the track, it's inconceivable that our principles, Mark Jenkins, Richard Garlick, Nick Hammond & possibly even Tony Pulis have'nt been spoken to by the buyers. In the same way we do "due diligence", they will have also. So a meeting of minds will ensure a smooth transition.

I just down't see any "throwing money" in a blind panic, if we do, we've got the wrong buyers

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2191 on: July 04, 2016, 01:53:17 PM »
FAO Stoxman,

whats the latest on the markets in relation to investment in EPL?
ie, Is the movement in value of the £ likely to make clubs more attractive?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2192 on: July 04, 2016, 07:34:25 PM »
Jeremy owns approximately 88%

When Jeremy bought out the fans shares,he said he valued the club at £7m, if he put it on the market for £7m we would be sold tomorrrow.
Why do rich people want more and more money?
I would retire on £7m.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2193 on: July 04, 2016, 07:35:53 PM »
with respect the club is worth a lot more

would you sell for 7m if you knew that you can easily get over 100million??

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2194 on: July 04, 2016, 07:40:54 PM »
I think I read somewhere...
It isn't the money itself, it is trying to see what they can do, to make more.
That is where the "excitement" is.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2195 on: July 04, 2016, 07:41:53 PM »
the training ground is probably worth more than £7m. gotta give it to Jeremy he knows is way around money. buy low sell high.

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2196 on: July 05, 2016, 10:12:03 AM »
All gone quiet on takeover probably not happening people in china just got muddled up with them dingles up road.If it was true I believe we would have heard more rummers from this end not that rubbish that came out from china.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2197 on: July 05, 2016, 10:35:25 AM »
The first announcement from the club will be "sold"
These sort of deals need to be done under the radar as being in the public domain can affect valuations / destroy trust / de-rail deal.

JP would have been royally drunk off that the deal didn't get done last year, i would be amazed if he was involved in a deal this year he would allow it to become public from "his" end.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2198 on: July 05, 2016, 05:40:01 PM »
with respect the club is worth a lot more

would you sell for 7m if you knew that you can easily get over 100million??

I know we are worth more than that Tom, i'm just saying what Peace valued us at when he bought out the shareholders. But he is asking a ridiculous price, twice as much as what was paid for the Vile. No one will buy us at the price he is asking.
He takes ages to sign a player quibbling about a milion here or there, the expects top price when he wants to sell something.
Never known such a greedy individual in my life. Why build a new stand when a coat of paint will do?
Watch the Dingles be bought by someone filthy rich, and we will be the poor men of the Midlands again. 7 years in the prem and we still can't outbid the likes of Watford,( who will probably sign Berahino), Stoke, Norwich, or even QPR. Pathetic.
I wish he would just bugger off and take his filthy money with him.

WednesburyAlbion

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2199 on: July 05, 2016, 06:45:05 PM »
I know we are worth more than that Tom, i'm just saying what Peace valued us at when he bought out the shareholders. But he is asking a ridiculous price, twice as much as what was paid for the Vile. No one will buy us at the price he is asking.
He takes ages to sign a player quibbling about a milion here or there, the expects top price when he wants to sell something.
Never known such a greedy individual in my life. Why build a new stand when a coat of paint will do?
Watch the Dingles be bought by someone filthy rich, and we will be the poor men of the Midlands again. 7 years in the prem and we still can't outbid the likes of Watford,( who will probably sign Berahino), Stoke, Norwich, or even QPR. Pathetic.
I wish he would just bugger off and take his filthy money with him.

All these clubs have spent more and have achieved less, and you want us to be like them? For what reasons? "Shows ambition"?

If we can finish as well off or better than these teams you've said, and spend half the amount, then surely you have to applaud the man.

Newcastle showed ambition in January, remember?