Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369606 times)

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #1425 on: July 07, 2015, 10:12:28 PM »
Voted yes purely down to the fact that my opinion makes no difference whatsoever - if JP wants to sell, he is entitled to sell. In many ways it's the best possible move for him.....as at some point, due to our inability to sustain prolonged periods punching above our financial weight, we more than likely will fall through the trapdoor at some point. Surely if he wants out, the more relevant question should be, "who would you like to take over" not "would you like a takeover"? Who knows JP's exact reasons for sale - maybe it has taken its toll on his family life, maybe health/mentally or just that he realises he just can't generate the finacial muscle to push us on in any significant way without potentially compromising the clubs future....which effectively is his own also. At some point he was always going to sell...that fact is unavoidable - the only thing we should all be concerned about is 'who' takes over? This leads me to my next point and something that needs to be considered - if the rumours are to be believed, and a wealthy consortium with (steady) long term plans are set to take the helm, then surely this is better than a wealthy 'one man band' that we are beholden to? If R A leaves Chelsea...then what? Hull, Cardiff, Blues, Leeds the list goes on and on. A consortium with the sole aim of long term wealth creation and diversification surley means less risk to them, ultimately lowering our exposure? I hope the rumours are true as I'd take this any day over an oil midas or Russian looking for a new toy!

I share your concerns but surely but the time Roman leaves Chelsea theres a great chance there will be a legacy there. Potentially a bigger stadium, bigger more valuable worldwide sponsorship deals, a bigger fan base, a better academy, decades of trophies and the list could go on.

i haven't voted yet, for me it's a tough one, if the owner(s) ambitious but sensible then it's a yes as I want to see WBA lift a trophy in my lifetime as 10 years or so in the premiership is easily forgotton (just ask Charlton fans) but 1 cup can make the world of difference and I know my birmingham city friends wouldn't swap the league cup and there winning day at wembley for promotion.

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1426 on: July 07, 2015, 10:24:10 PM »
I share your concerns but surely but the time Roman leaves Chelsea theres a great chance there will be a legacy there. Potentially a bigger stadium, bigger more valuable worldwide sponsorship deals, a bigger fan base, a better academy, decades of trophies and the list could go on.

i haven't voted yet, for me it's a tough one, if the owner(s) ambitious but sensible then it's a yes as I want to see WBA lift a trophy in my lifetime as 10 years or so in the premiership is easily forgotton (just ask Charlton fans) but 1 cup can make the world of difference and I know my birmingham city friends wouldn't swap the league cup and there winning day at wembley for promotion.

My view as we do not know yet who it is and their plans.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 10:26:35 PM by glosterbaggie »
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1427 on: July 07, 2015, 10:28:07 PM »
What is so magical that Southampton have done? We finished 8th under Clarke with JP. as for competing with Everton didn't we finished above them last season? What's to say that Southampton or Everton won't be 16th next year. Fact is qualifying for the Europa league increases your chance of relegation and we can never make the chanmpions league. Lack of realism amongst lots of posters as to our club size relative to the league. Fact is 14 teams start the season with a best placed finish of 7th. No change of chairman will alter that.

No they finished 11th.

Not sure I agree that qualifying for the Europa league increases your chances of relegation either. It doesn't seem to do Spurs much harm. I think it's more likely that having a small squad or a squad that isn't very good AND qualifying for the Europa league increases your chances of relegation. Teams that have a good depth of squad can rest players those that don't can't.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1428 on: July 08, 2015, 08:18:56 AM »
Right here goes:

For those who want to do their own research, the reports are here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-C3MgynjIGkfnlWRWFvemFoVlNWUXRsY2puZnNiYjZxb19ubEtzeDZtMy1xQ0ZFUkFZck0&usp=sharing

Club Hierarchy - Corporate Tree

1. West Bromwich Albion Holdings Ltd. - Top of the corporate tree.

Shareholders -

Jeremy Peace: 50,000 Ordinary shares @ £500 per share- 80% total shares - 95.75% Value (£25,000,000)

Kappa Ltd: 12,500 Ordinary 'A' shares @ £125 per share - 20% total shares - 6.25% Value (£1,562,500)

This would theoretically place the value of the club, based on shares alone of it's Ultimate Parent company at approx. £26.5m - though this is a distorted figure as shares have a face value. Consider the fact that the face value of the shares in Group (that some people on here still own and others sold) are worth £10, having Mr Peace offer thousands for individual shares basically assigns the value of a single share at 'whatever someone is willing to pay'. So as much as the face value of the company is £26.5m this does not take into account changes in the company's revenue and profit increases since the shares were issued - which are considerably more now and the price someone would be willing to pay for said shares.

2. West Bromwich Albion Group Ltd. Second branch of corporate tree. Parent: Holdings

This is the company those on here claim they have or had shares. The list of shareholders is 20 pages long. Importantly however:

584 shareholders including:
- West Bromwich Albion Holdings Ltd: 6,446 Shares - 67%
- Mr Geoffrey Leonard Hale: 1,001 Shares - 10.3%

Active Directors: Mr Mark Jenkins - Appointed 1st October 2010
Former Directors: Mr Jeremy Peace - 21st April 2010 - Resigned 21 May 2013

3. West Bromwich Albion Football Club Ltd. - 3rd Branch of the corporate tree - Parent: Group

This is the 'footballing department', the actual football club.

Shareholders - West Bromwich Albion Group: 2 Shares - 100%

Directors: Mr Mark Jenkins, Mr Jeremy Peace, Mr Adrian Donald Wright, Mr Richard Paul Garlick

Note: The company has had 13 mortgages, the latest in 2005. These include parachute payments from the FA, property mortgages on the training ground, social club.

Fully satisfied mortgages on The Hawthorns, land free for development.

4. West Bromwich Albion Heritage Ltd. - 4th branch of corporate tree - Parent: Group

As far as I can tell this is the branch of the company that owns the social clubs, various areas for development including some of the land around Halfords Lane.

Shareholders: West Bromwich Albion Group - 139,571 Ordinary Shares - 99.7%
                                                                  47 Other - 0.2%

I haven't been around much lately, so have only just noticed this. Thanks for producing it, but I has misunderstood what it was that you'd gone to find out.  I thought what you were going to was try to analyse to what extent Peace has spent his own personal money on the club. I can't see that the above info reveals anything about that?

Critical Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1429 on: July 08, 2015, 08:22:05 AM »
Some of you may recognise me from being a regular poster on here up until me moving to Hong Kong a couple of years ago but seeing as I'm on the door step to China I have spoken with some friends about these murmurs and thought I'd share what I learnt about Wang Jianlin and wider to that the context of why he'd be interested in buying a club in the PL.

Football believe it or not is very high on the agenda for the ruling Communist party in China at the moment. It's the biggest sport in the world and they see it as a big opportunity for their ambition to become the number one super power in the world. They have plans to host a world cup in the foreseeable future and it's the governments aim to make it the number one sport in China but they do understand people need to take an active interest in the sport before they are able grow the talent closer to home. Investing in the EPL and exposing the mainland to this would be a must to grow interest.

Jilanlin himself is a member of the Communist Party, his Dad was even in Mao's Red Army, and he has remit from President Xi Jinping to invest in football overseas. If it's to happen Jilanlin will be the first mainland Chinese PL owner. He's not shy to make it known he's loaded so be sure he'll invest in the club. One issue might be on the playing side, they might want to use the club to channel Chinese players through which could be a bit of a disaster knowing the lack of quality but that remains to be seen.

Anyway I'm very excited to see this happen if it's true. Knowing how bullish the Chinese are and their ambitions to be number one I think it can only be a good think to see us advance as a club. He won't be investing to come 2nd best against the Arab's or the Yanks but will have expectations from the China to make their mark.
Frank Burrows Appreciation Society

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1430 on: July 08, 2015, 08:25:47 AM »
I am not ITK but I have been told it's def not the richest man in China who is buying us. Just reporting what I have been told

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1431 on: July 08, 2015, 08:52:40 AM »
No they finished 11th.

Not sure I agree that qualifying for the Europa league increases your chances of relegation either. It doesn't seem to do Spurs much harm. I think it's more likely that having a small squad or a squad that isn't very good AND qualifying for the Europa league increases your chances of relegation. Teams that have a good depth of squad can rest players those that don't can't.

I think the point is that unless you are a wealthy enough club to be able to pay the wages of a strong and sizeable squad, the Europa League puts a massive strain on the squad and the potential extra dozen or so games increases the risk of injuries to key players.   Very few "smaller" clubs have managed to combine a successful Europa League campaign with anything other than a major struggle in the Premier League.

It's the reason so many clubs view the Europa League as a poisoned chalice.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1432 on: July 08, 2015, 09:52:43 AM »
I think the point is that unless you are a wealthy enough club to be able to pay the wages of a strong and sizeable squad, the Europa League puts a massive strain on the squad and the potential extra dozen or so games increases the risk of injuries to key players.   Very few "smaller" clubs have managed to combine a successful Europa League campaign with anything other than a major struggle in the Premier League.

It's the reason so many clubs view the Europa League as a poisoned chalice.

plus the fact that as most clubs have said the prize money is quite poor and the competition actually cost clubs to enter
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1433 on: July 08, 2015, 10:18:34 AM »
plus the fact that as most clubs have said the prize money is quite poor and the competition actually cost clubs to enter

Are you being literal or figurative in saying it "costs" clubs to play in the Europa League?

The prize money was £5M last season which compared to the Champions League's £15M is small beer but still a decent wedge. It's due to rise by about 60-65% this season so will be about £8M.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1434 on: July 08, 2015, 10:20:27 AM »
I'm sure you don't break even in the competition until the quarterfinals.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1435 on: July 08, 2015, 10:24:06 AM »
I am not ITK but I have been told it's def not the richest man in China who is buying us. Just reporting what I have been told
Is whoever told you ITK?
I don't think Wang Jianlin is the richest bloke in China anyway is he, so is he ruled out or not?
Not questioning your comment, would just like a bit more background as we seem to know very little about what's going on.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1436 on: July 08, 2015, 10:24:19 AM »

Im as clueless as the next Albion fan, however I cant seem to get my head around why the richest man in China would buy us.

Surely if they wanted success, and to be a dominant force, they would look to buy a 'bigger' club than us?

It just seems a lot of money would need to be spent in order to make us a force to even challenge in England.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1437 on: July 08, 2015, 10:47:51 AM »

This is what Peace must have meant when he said should we qualify we might not enter due to the costs.

I took it literally and thought he was being tight again, but i think he meant for the rewards on offer it wasn't really worth dicing with our prem status.
Sometimes Mr Peace has the right idea but the way he says things doesn't come out right, such as the mid championship club.

It would have been interesting however to have seen the fans reaction had we qualified but not taken part.

Football is all about competing with the best. I was about 26  the last time we had European nights, now i will be  60 in four weeks time.
Will i ever see any more?

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1438 on: July 08, 2015, 10:57:58 AM »
Im as clueless as the next Albion fan, however I cant seem to get my head around why the richest man in China would buy us.

Surely if they wanted success, and to be a dominant force, they would look to buy a 'bigger' club than us?

It just seems a lot of money would need to be spent in order to make us a force to even challenge in England.

Everton have been 'for Sale' though I doubt not actively searching for a buyer, for some time. Surely they're a better shout for making that next step.

Our next step is solid top 8 team, something that costs tens of millions to acheive.

As I've said before, league position and success in cups is almost entirely down to the manager in charge and the right set of players, not the bank balance of a club. Villa already have billionaire owners, and bar getting their cup tactics right, they didn't do much else the last four years. How else did Wigan and Blues win trophies, it certainly wasn't high bankrolling.

Sure there's a link between buying the best players and success, but United spent £213m in the last two years and won the same amount of trophies as us. Why does anyone correlate spending money and winning cups. I'd say management and the right recruitment are infinitely more important than simply spending lots of money.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1439 on: July 08, 2015, 11:02:54 AM »
Everton have been 'for Sale' though I doubt not actively searching for a buyer, for some time. Surely they're a better shout for making that next step.

Our next step is solid top 8 team, something that costs tens of millions to acheive.

As I've said before, league position and success in cups is almost entirely down to the manager in charge and the right set of players, not the bank balance of a club. Villa already have billionaire owners, and bar getting their cup tactics right, they didn't do much else the last four years. How else did Wigan and Blues win trophies, it certainly wasn't high bankrolling.

Sure there's a link between buying the best players and success, but United spent £213m in the last two years and won the same amount of trophies as us. Why does anyone correlate spending money and winning cups. I'd say management and the right recruitment are infinitely more important than simply spending lots of money.

If you spend enough money you'll get it right eventually. Just like Man City did. Just like Man United will.

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1440 on: July 08, 2015, 11:13:14 AM »
All I know is I've been told by someone who's husband knows someone who used to work at the club, an important person and they told me its not wang janlin. Not trying to make a name for myself or cause a row, just passing on what I have been told from a decent sauce.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1441 on: July 08, 2015, 11:22:44 AM »
If you spend enough money you'll get it right eventually. Just like Man City did. Just like Man United will.

Spot on.

If you keep spending, and allow a year or two for the 'spine' of the team (which are world class players) to gel, then all you need is a manager to make the rest happen.

Look how much Chelsea originally spent when Roman first took over, then it took the right manager and a couple tweaks and they are now dominant.

I just think for us to get to that stage we would literally need to spend hundreds of millions to even break the top four.

You only have to look at our squad now, and you would maybe name 1-2 players who could play top 4-6 of the league.

Take that into affect, and the fact the Chinese want the biggest and best as stated above, just doesnt make it plausable that its Wang.

Dont get me wrong though, I hope im wrong.

mifos

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1442 on: July 08, 2015, 12:29:24 PM »

I'd say management and the right recruitment are infinitely more important than simply spending lots of money.

I'd say management and money BOTH have to be there to be successful.

Could Ferguson and Mourinho have achieved Premier League titles with our transfer and wage budgets ?

Moyes couldn't do it with Man U's budget.

Could Irvine have achieved Premier League titles at Manu U and Chelsea ?

What could Pulis achieve with a Man U or Chelsea size budget ?

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1443 on: July 08, 2015, 12:34:34 PM »
All I know is I've been told by someone who's husband knows someone who used to work at the club, an important person and they told me its not wang janlin. Not trying to make a name for myself or cause a row, just passing on what I have been told from a decent sauce.
Well if that's true a lot of us are well and truly barking up the wrong tree!  :o
If not him then who? Or should that be Hoo??? ;)

Zebidee

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1444 on: July 08, 2015, 12:48:29 PM »
But we would be cheaper to buy than a big team, and maybe easier to put their own stamp on the club/team.... And we would have less competition than if he took a team in London
* Formerly known as Satisfcuktion *

PepeMel

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1445 on: July 08, 2015, 12:50:29 PM »
I don't take notice of these sisters /boyfriends aunties rumours

Zebidee

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1446 on: July 08, 2015, 12:53:00 PM »
Wonder who the other rich guys in China are then, who we could bring into the equation
* Formerly known as Satisfcuktion *

mifos

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1447 on: July 08, 2015, 01:09:46 PM »
Wonder who the other rich guys in China are then, who we could bring into the equation

http://www.forbes.com/china-billionaires/list/

According to this Wang Jianlin is not the richest person in China, so maybe we're not being taken over by the richest bloke in China afterall  :)

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1448 on: July 08, 2015, 01:14:34 PM »
Its one of those that i think we will be none the wiser to who it is until theres a official announcement.
Notice the confirmed ITK posters are staying away from this thread
The lack of noise that comes out of the club anyway+exclusivity agreement and the legal stuff that goes with that= we aint going to hear anything

Speculation till then

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1449 on: July 08, 2015, 01:30:21 PM »
http://www.forbes.com/china-billionaires/list/

According to this Wang Jianlin is not the richest person in China, so maybe we're not being taken over by the richest bloke in China afterall  :)

Hui Wing Mau #16 - Linked to buying Newcastle a few years ago. Also an Australian citizen along with his family (his son & daughter both help run his companies), could explain the Australian connections in the press month or so ago?

(This is pure speculation, I am bored)