Author Topic: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONS LEAGUE THREAD  (Read 193400 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONS LEAGUE THREAD
« Reply #875 on: April 07, 2021, 09:31:08 AM »
So like the American league with no promotion or relegation. Can't see the point of supporting a team which can't get promoted.

They don't want you as a fan, they want the folks in India / China / Krygystan etc who will pay to watch and maybe buy a shirt every other year depending on who is currently successful and worthy of their transient "support".  Much as I have a small soft spot for the Green Bay Packers.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #876 on: April 07, 2021, 10:19:45 AM »
They don't want you as a fan, they want the folks in India / China / Krygystan etc who will pay to watch and maybe buy a shirt every other year depending on who is currently successful and worthy of their transient "support".  Much as I have a small soft spot for the Green Bay Packers.

This isn't too far away from the impression I got off Williams and Goodman (?) at a supporters do just after the pre season tour in the Far East prior to the Pulis/Pardew/Moore season. They were off before the season was out.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #877 on: April 07, 2021, 11:10:42 AM »
This isn't too far away from the impression I got off Williams and Goodman (?) at a supporters do just after the pre season tour in the Far East prior to the Pulis/Pardew/Moore season. They were off before the season was out.

I think of "elite" football now like wrestlemania, the fans are there to fill the camera shot and create atmosphere, if the TV companies and franchises could get away with not having a crowd they would. Actually after the last 12 months they may actually believe that they can do without "real" fans,
A bit of piped noise and an augmented reality crowd would make Toremyass Onmywayhome's viewing experience the same without the hassle / cost of a full stadium.  Makes the franchise more 'portable" too.
Think of Wrestlemania at o2 London / Jaguars at Wembley .....   its just a matter of time !

Albion Family !!!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #878 on: April 07, 2021, 12:40:36 PM »
.....   its just a matter of time !

There'll always be a place for live support in a post pandemic world, even if it means live from your settee.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #879 on: April 07, 2021, 12:55:35 PM »
I'm not bothered who else around the world tunes in to watch English football even if they are transient 'supporters' who would switch between clubs like some people switch their favourite supermarket.  As long as the Albion don't get boxed into a league where the height of our ambition is to be better than Wigan Athletic and Huddersfield Town. And I bet the vast majority of Wolves and Villa fans would agree with me on that. 

And to bring it back to the CL thread, as long as teams are picked on sporting merit, and not by some 'formula' which makes sure the big clubs always take part.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #880 on: April 07, 2021, 03:15:36 PM »
I'm not bothered who else around the world tunes in to watch English football even if they are transient 'supporters' who would switch between clubs like some people switch their favourite supermarket.  As long as the Albion don't get boxed into a league where the height of our ambition is to be better than Wigan Athletic and Huddersfield Town. And I bet the vast majority of Wolves and Villa fans would agree with me on that. 

And to bring it back to the CL thread, as long as teams are picked on sporting merit, and not by some 'formula' which makes sure the big clubs always take part.

I've got some bad news for you... that's exactly what they're doing with this Swiss model
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #881 on: April 07, 2021, 11:49:21 PM »
I've got some bad news for you... that's exactly what they're doing with this Swiss model
Well,  I think and hope there will be a lot of opposition to it. And not just here, but all around Europe. In fact I was watching an interview with Rudi Voller, the Director of Football at Bayer Leverkusen, and he said he is 100% against it, even if it helped German clubs.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #882 on: April 13, 2021, 08:32:07 PM »
How on earth does Choupo-Moting start in a champions league quarter final?

Bayern look so lost attacking wise with him.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #883 on: April 13, 2021, 08:42:03 PM »
How on earth does Choupo-Moting start in a champions league quarter final?

Bayern look so lost attacking wise with him.

What do I know, he just scored

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #884 on: April 13, 2021, 08:43:28 PM »
What do I know, he just scored
Thats so funny, I agree by the way, but its so funny
Albion Family !!!

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #885 on: April 13, 2021, 09:34:09 PM »
Looking at Porto who have struggled to break Chelsea down in 2 games. Just thinking the Albion in current form wouldn't have fared too badly in the Champions League.

P.S. And with Choupo-Moting scoring, maybe Albion v Stoke wouldn't have been out of place!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 09:48:52 PM by alex1 »

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #886 on: April 13, 2021, 09:58:12 PM »
Chesea win 2-1 on aggregate, but the Porto goal, goal of the season, unbelievable overhead kick.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #887 on: April 15, 2021, 04:04:25 AM »
Bellingham gets his first Champions league goal tonight, only for Phil Foden to score a sensational goal to win it for Man City.

I’d have no idea what to do if I was the England manager preparing for the Qatar World Cup. We are rivalling France for the most loaded front four in world football. By 2022 and also the 2024 Euro’s, we will have potentially world class players not even making our bench.
Boing Boing

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #888 on: April 15, 2021, 11:17:21 AM »
Bellingham gets his first Champions league goal tonight, only for Phil Foden to score a sensational goal to win it for Man City.

I’d have no idea what to do if I was the England manager preparing for the Qatar World Cup. We are rivalling France for the most loaded front four in world football. By 2022 and also the 2024 Euro’s, we will have potentially world class players not even making our bench.

So, to try and think of them all, we have; Kane, Rashford, Sterling, Sancho, Bellingham, Foden, Calvert-Lewin, Greenwood...

Am I forgetting anyone  ;)
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #889 on: April 15, 2021, 11:40:22 AM »
So, to try and think of them all, we have; Kane, Rashford, Sterling, Sancho, Bellingham, Foden, Calvert-Lewin, Greenwood...

Has Jake retired from International football?

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #890 on: April 15, 2021, 12:03:39 PM »

😂😂 has I think that's it of the top players.

In seriousness, the next few years could see England have the best assortment of attacking talent in world football. Backing up Kane, Ings, Abraham, Calvert-Lewin, Watkins and Bamford in the centre forward role, there are some interesting players coming up through the ranks. Ignoring Ivan Toney who may be about to declare for Jamaica, we have 2 very exciting youth forwards in Liam Delap (20 goals and counting in PL 2 this season) and Folarin Balogun at Arsenal. We also have Gelhardt and Greenwood at Leeds.

Then you have the support forward and creative midfield roles with Sterling, Sancho, Hudson-Odoi, Foden, Mount, Grealish, Bellingham, Greenwood, Rashford, Barnes, Saka, even Dele Alli if he regains his form next season. That doesn't take into account Harvey Elliott, Curtis Jones, Smith-Rowe, Madueke, Eze and whoever else ends up coming through the age group sides.

It's an incredible depth of talent. The vast majority of those players would get into most squads in Europe.
Boing Boing

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #891 on: April 15, 2021, 03:49:36 PM »
Also looking at the quarter finals from an English perspective Chilwell and Alexander-Arnold at full back and Stones at CB. Lack of a Goal keeper or another CB being the only real gaps. It is really unfortunate that Joe Gomez career seems destined to be injury blighted otherwise I think we are only short of a keeper from this being quite easily the most promising generation of English talent certainly since the early 2000's

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #892 on: April 15, 2021, 03:59:16 PM »
I think we're particularly weak at centre forward. Any injury to Kane and the drop off is alarming.

Stan's point about goalkeepers is spot on too. Hopefully Henderson can step into the void once he gets De Gea off his back at club level.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #893 on: April 15, 2021, 09:52:26 PM »
Goalkeeper, Central defence and centre forward could all do with maybe 1 more outstanding option, but for me, above all else our main weakness comes at the base of our midfield. A glance at the 10 sides who have contested the last 5 World Cup and Euros finals reveals near enough every side had a ball playing play maker who sat deeper and could both screen the defence (usually alongside the main defensive midfielder) and contribute to starting the attacks.

Spain has Xabi Alonso and Xavi, Italy had Pirlo, Germany has Schweinsteiger and now Gundogan, France had Pogba next to Matuidi then Kante, Portugal had Adrian Silva and Argentina had Biglia. World Number 1 Belgium have Tielemans.

For whatever reason, we still don't produce that style of playmaker in England and this, paired with our lack of a genuinely world class defensive midfielder means that area of the pitch looks a real weakness. Rice can probably go on to plug half the gap, but Kalvin Phillips doesn't seem a particularly big improvement on the others like Winks, Barkley, Delph and Ward Prowse who have tried to play the role. Henderson probably has the best resume of those available but he is injury prone and I still can't tell if his recent club success came in part from playing next to Wijnaldum and behind a devastating front 3.

I was hoping that they might look to develop Bellingham into a deeper role but it looks like he will be playing behind the striker and so if we are to go with 2 primarily defensive midfielders, it feels imperative to me that the remaining attacking positions are well balanced and include somebody who can create enough chances for others. I'm not sure if Mount or Foden do that and as we need a between the lines runner like Sterling/Sancho in the side, I'm not convinced we can accommodate Mount and Foden together. I hope i'm wrong, but I think it might be a bit of a Lampard/Gerrard style situation.
Boing Boing

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #894 on: April 15, 2021, 10:29:33 PM »
Get a ball player in England and he is immediately thrust into CMF or 10 role, our whole game is designed against having a DMf who can play a distributor role, cannot think of anyone who has done this and been English, nearest being Hoddle??
Albion Family !!!

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #895 on: April 18, 2021, 07:35:12 AM »
I think we're particularly weak at centre forward. Any injury to Kane and the drop off is alarming.

Stan's point about goalkeepers is spot on too. Hopefully Henderson can step into the void once he gets De Gea off his back at club level.
Yep....many talk about Calvert Lewin but for me he is nowhere near.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #896 on: April 19, 2021, 04:05:47 PM »
After Yesterday's annoucement about that Super League the UCL is probably ruined I was figuring out if the Top Six are banned from it Leicester, West Ham who were already 3rd and 4th will get into the UCL, Everton as Tottenham and I think Chelsea are above so Everton will have to go into replace Man Utd or Man City and Leeds as they are the next club who aren't in this Super League. Villa meanwhile will be in the Europa
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #897 on: April 24, 2021, 11:42:57 AM »
We won a battle but we are losing the war. UEFA have continued with their proposals for an expanded Champions League which will see 36 clubs in the Group stages and the Group stage games increased to 10. This was put together as a sop to the big clubs and they responded with the Super League. As such they need to rethink these proposals.

While obviously less revolutionary than a breakaway this will have a knock on effect for the domestic leagues. The football calendar is pretty full and there is no practical means of accommodating another 4 fixtures in the pre Christmas period. Something has to give and top teir leagues (Premier League, La Liga, Ligue 1 and Serie A) probably will be under pressure to slim down to 18. Obviously the negative impact will only be felt by 2 teams in each league so won't draw the widespread condemnation nor trigger the solidarity that was evident last week.

Not as bad but still a step in the wrong direction toward fewer teams becoming increasingly dominant until we have a super league by default rather than design.   

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #898 on: April 24, 2021, 12:29:36 PM »
We won a battle but we are losing the war. UEFA have continued with their proposals for an expanded Champions League which will see 36 clubs in the Group stages and the Group stage games increased to 10. This was put together as a sop to the big clubs and they responded with the Super League. As such they need to rethink these proposals.

While obviously less revolutionary than a breakaway this will have a knock on effect for the domestic leagues. The football calendar is pretty full and there is no practical means of accommodating another 4 fixtures in the pre Christmas period. Something has to give and top teir leagues (Premier League, La Liga, Ligue 1 and Serie A) probably will be under pressure to slim down to 18. Obviously the negative impact will only be felt by 2 teams in each league so won't draw the widespread condemnation nor trigger the solidarity that was evident last week.

Not as bad but still a step in the wrong direction toward fewer teams becoming increasingly dominant until we have a super league by default rather than design.

Completly agree. There will now be pressure from the Big 6 PL clubs to slim down and get rid of some of some of the "lesser clubs" who generate less income from the punters in the Far and Middle East. They will only need sufficent support from the rest of the PL to force it through. So the gap between the PL and the rest gets ever larger and harder for other clubs to break into.   

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #899 on: April 24, 2021, 01:13:05 PM »

The embodiment of two wrongs not making a right. I dare say the TV broadcasters will be tripping over themselves to point out what's wrong with this. Or not......