Author Topic: WBA NEW OWNERS - Bilkul football  (Read 20655 times)

kefizz, kelsall, baggiebof, Uncle Peter and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Re: WBA NEW OWNERS - Bilkull football
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2024, 04:32:54 PM »
https://www.wba.co.uk/news/club-statement-progress-update-west-bromwich-albion-takeover

The takeover of West Bromwich Albion Group Limited, the parent company of West Bromwich Albion Football Club, by Bilkul Football WBA, LLC, is now expected to complete during the week commencing Monday, February 26.

All parties remain committed to the agreement, with the purchasers already approved by the EFL.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2024, 05:03:41 PM »
Zero concern. All's good.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2024, 05:27:54 PM »
In the Athletic today they go into a little more depth in terms of the financial side of the takeover.

"Patel is paying him only £10m guaranteed – £2.5m on completion, £2.5m in August and £5.5m in August 2025.

There is the possibility of bonus payments if West Brom are promoted. Go up this season, and they are currently fifth, and Patel will pay Lai an extra £18m. Promotion next season would trigger a £10m payment, £5m the following season and £2m if West Brom have to wait until the 2026-27 season."
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 07:23:12 PM by gazberg »

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2024, 07:13:10 PM »
In the Athletic they go into a little depth in terms of the financial side of the takeover.

"Patel is paying him only £10m guaranteed – £2.5m on completion, £2.5m in August and £5.5m in August 2025.

There is the possibility of bonus payments if West Brom are promoted. Go up this season, and they are currently fifth, and Patel will pay Lai an extra £18m. Promotion next season would trigger a £10m payment, £5m the following season and £2m if West Brom have to wait until the 2026-27 season."

If there was any doubt that the club was teetering on the brink of administration that is confirmation. From the club's perspective the bulk of the money that the new owners are spending is being spent on the club albeit a large part of it is going to service/repay debt.

The promotion bonuses are far lower than have been suggested elsewhere and represent a tiny proportion of the increase in the clubs income and value on promotion.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

sammyg

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2024, 08:37:53 AM »
This weeks hopefully the week🤞

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2024, 09:41:31 AM »
This weeks hopefully the week🤞
I hope so, this is worse than buying a house when the seller goes all silent when your solicitor says the contracts are ready

zac

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2024, 04:43:47 PM »
Came across this interesting article from someone on Twitter.

https://tbbwmag.com/2024/02/27/exclusive-shilen-patel-discusses-his-acquisition-of-west-bromwich-albion-football-club/

'Shilen Patel, former chief executive and owner of HealthAxis Group in Tampa, has confirmed to Tampa Bay Business and Wealth that he will acquire the West Bromwich Albion Football Club, a professional football club based in West Bromwich, West Midlands, England. A move that makes him the first Indian American to own a club in any of England’s top leagues.

Patel is an active early-stage and private equity investor, as well as the founder of multiple other enterprises. His investments range from small local startups to more visible and remote assets such as a minority stake in Bologna FC, a soccer team currently in 6th place in Italy’s top league, Serie A.

In his 2022 TBBW cover story, he expressed acquiring a controlling interest in a soccer team as another goal he wanted to achieve.

“I think your outlet was the first to report on that aspiration,” says Patel. “The seed had been planted for quite a while. It’s something that I’ve been thinking about for more than 20 years now. I have been evaluating opportunities around the world with different levels of interest, and West Brom is a perfect fit.”

It was confirmed in November that Baggies owner Guochuan Lai, who bought out Jeremy Peace in September 2016, was trying to sell the club, according to a report by the BBC.

“There’s an opportunity here. This club has most of what it needs to return to the Premier League where it has spent most of the last 2 decades,” Patel says.

This acquisition for Patel not only checks off a substantial business bucket list goal but also further expands his international footprint in the business world.

“I think [soccer] is unique compared to many other sports, which might be more regional or constrained to a handful of countries. I love that global aspect of it. I think my global perspective in business and our family’s international business and philanthropy can complement this project well,” Patel says. “SeediSucceeding in the sports business takes qualities I have been developing my entire career.  It requires long-term thinking and tremendous patience. It demands the ability to tolerate a lot of unpredictability and setbacks and reckon with forces beyond your control. Operating in an entrepreneurial environment for my whole career and constantly pushing against constraints to secure growth and success gives me the perspective, and the ability, to  bring pride and success to West Brom.”

It’s a new line of business for Patel, but he’s also excited about the community aspect of it and stewarding a club that fans will continue to rally behind.

“The fan community in West Bromwich and around the world is the heart and soul of the club. The fans have shown up and shown their support even in the toughest times,” Patel says. “A big part of our goal is to build the profile of the club and to build the reach of the club to be something that’s touching the whole world.”
Smethwick..

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2024, 05:11:26 PM »
He used the phrase long term patience. Could be there be a plan here after 8 years without one?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 09:01:54 PM by gazberg »

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2024, 08:37:05 PM »
He used the phrase long term patience. Could be there may be a plan here after 8 years without one

It really feels like it doesn't it Gaz? And I don't mind if it isn't by any means a quick fix plan... could he be that new Tom Silk (that I've kept banging on about)?

All his soundbites - and importantly, we're getting those - sound very positive.

Cautiously very excited.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2024, 09:03:10 PM »
It really feels like it doesn't it Gaz? And I don't mind if it isn't by any means a quick fix plan... could he be that new Tom Silk (that I've kept banging on about)?

All his soundbites - and importantly, we're getting those - sound very positive.

Cautiously very excited.

Yep, we are going to have to rebuild and yo-yo a few times before we can hopefully re-establish ourselves as a PL club but i'm willing to wait! We don't have a choice sadly. I'm just delighted Lai is done :)

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2024, 09:25:03 PM »
The Albion is not a club that can fast-track success  I for one wouldn't be expecting that we need to build the club up in a sustainable way similar to the other Albion in its own way I think that would be enjoyable .

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2024, 03:54:20 AM »
Regardless of how this season pans out I think the next couple of seasons will be a transition. There is significant rebuild job and it will require a certain amount of patience. If we are promoted the money generated will certainly go a long way to funding a rebuild but the week on week reality of this club in the Premier League next season would be brutal.

If we remain in the championship money will be tight (FFP) but we would be better able to cope with rebuilding and sustaining a somewhat competitive team although I would doubt whether we will sustain a genuine promotion challenge.   
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2024, 07:37:28 AM »
Is today the day then?

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2024, 03:53:22 PM »
No Mention of Europe or Expanding the Ground or going for Trophies, just realistic aims of getting back to the Prem and staying there what I think most Albion fans want. Annoyingly he called it Soccer (Why do all Americans do this your buying West Bromwich Albion FC) Football Club literally in the name in England we will know what your on about. Other than that a Plan hopefully means DOF and good recruitment so no more Managers Mates, British Experienced Players and Has beens. Hopefully he keeps Carlos as the man he trusts to take us back to the big time. So far all looks well for us.

Also no mention of Self Sustainability meaning he is going to put money in.
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2024, 04:03:17 PM »
https://www.dictionary.com/e/why-is-it-called-soccer/

'The most popular sport in the world is one in which people chase after a ball and kick it with their feet (and give it an occasional head-butt). In most places where this sport is enjoyed it is referred to in a straightforward fashion: football. No matter whether the language is Spanish (fútbol), French (football), German (fußball), Icelandic (fótbolta), Albanian (futboll), or Dutch (voetbal), you are likely to find some combination of foot and ball used to describe the game. Some countries are directly translating the word football, whereas others are using their language’s word for the two components (such as Malay and Indonesian, which use bola sepak and sepak bola, respectively).

However, in a few renegade countries this game is referred to by names having nothing to do with balls. For instance, in the United States (and a handful of other places) it is referred to as soccer. Why do American English speakers do this?

The quick and dirty answer is that soccer is a variant of an abbreviation. One common name for the sport in question is Association Football, and the earliest spelling of soccer on record is socca (presumably since it was considered most euphonious to abbreviate association in this fashion, rather than to call it assoc). For a short while socca and socker were used interchangeably with soccer, but by the early 20th century, the form we use today had become the dominant one. By the time the sport had caught on in the US, the word football was tethered to another sport in American English.

It should be noted that we in the US are not the only ones who refuse to call football by what many people seem to feel is its rightful name. In Italy it is commonly called calcio (from calciare, meaning “to kick”). And there are a number of other countries which also refer to it as soccer or some variant (such as South Africa, where one can hear it called either soccer or sokker; or Japan, where both sakk? and futtob?ru are used).

We are unlikely to adopt the more commonly used word anytime soon, and it’s fine to criticize this as a North American idiosyncrasy, just so long as it’s understood where soccer comes from: the earliest recorded instance of the word found in the Oxford English Dictionary is from a Brit, the 19th-century poet Ernest Christopher Dowson.

Ammon Shea is the author of Bad English: A History of Linguistic Aggravation and Reading the OED: One Man, One Year, 21,730 Pages. He lives in New York City with his wife (a former lexicographer), son (a potential future lexicographer), and two non-lexical dogs.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 05:28:46 PM by Political Cake »
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2024, 05:09:17 PM »
Takeover confirmed on the OS 25 minutes ago.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2024, 05:26:30 PM »
So a new era begins good riddance to bad rubbish.
First interview.
https://www.wba.co.uk/news/shilen-patel-first-albion-interview
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 05:34:55 PM by KYA »

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2024, 05:41:43 PM »
Excellent news. We have a future again.
Oh and on the name of the game debate, I mean the guy's quite literally saved our club and he calls the game "soccer". It's what Americans do, so give him a break. If it makes everyone feel better, Americans don't call American football American football either. They call it football (wrongly I know  ;D). They differentiate it with our football by calling ours soccer. I can live with that.

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2024, 05:54:21 PM »
Just watched the interview with Patel on the OS.

Can anyone explain in more detail his answer to the question about the MSD loans. It sounds like he is still planning for the club to pay them back to MSD, not the new owners. Which I thought would be the plan?

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2024, 06:00:05 PM »
Bit smooth ay e

boing_boing68

• WBA Coach

« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2024, 06:03:47 PM »
I'm really glad that he has said that it is a long term project and not to be expect miracles straight away

Thats what we need as a club, someone who can build it over a period of time

Keep Corberan in the job for as long as possible until another club take him, but he genuinely seems happy to be here
Baggie Terra

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2024, 06:11:21 PM »

Can anyone explain in more detail his answer to the question about the MSD loans. It sounds like he is still planning for the club to pay them back to MSD, not the new owners. Which I thought would be the plan?

I took it that the MSD loans remain in place but on renegotiated terms .

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2024, 06:19:54 PM »

I’ve just watched it to. I would recommend anyone watch it rather than read it.

I had hoped he would clear the debt (maybe he can’t as it’s a club debt, not sure how that would work with FFP), but obviously he’s now on record saying he will not. That means his initial investment is  relatively cheap, the £10m the Athletic have reported probably.   

That matter makes me a little nervous to be honest and I’m still not convinced they are that rich (football wise)

However, he speaks well, it’s clear it’s a business and investment for him (which I don’t think has been in doubt) but he seems sincere. He speaks a lot like the chairman of the company I work for which is a large Fortune 500 American company still run by members of the founding family.

I hope he’s can be as bright and astute as he thinks he can be within football ,because his plan is to do this with his intellect not his wallet!

It’s a good interview though and the interviewer does ask the right questions and overall he comes across well.

He said the club will have what it needs to operate inside FFP when asked about finances. I wonder if that is a signal he plans to put in the £8m per year he can.

The part I didn’t quite follow was about the Warmfront loans.

Big shake up and huge reductions to wage bill still needed this summer

« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 06:27:35 PM by johnny Cash »

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2024, 06:32:15 PM »
Watching the interview he is already a breath of fresh air compared to the former owner who I will not name and never want to hear from again. Shilen Patel comes across as intelligent, ambitious but also realistic. Clearly not just a business mind, he has been watching most of our games this season. Not too much detail, save for the Warmfront loan will be used to push that money back into the club whilst the MSD loans are being rolled-over onto more reasonable payment terms. That may be for accounting reasons and tax incentives as opposed to any unwillingness to invest. I get the sense he has larger plans afoot.