Author Topic: Alex Palmer  (Read 98219 times)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Re: Alex Palmer training with the First Team
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2020, 08:35:53 PM »
Off to Lincoln for the season it loan it seems. Definitely need another keeper now.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2020, 08:47:50 PM »
If that is the case, I’m glad the club are making a decision early. Good loan for him, hints that more of our young keepers should probably follow. Would join 3 other ex Albion academy players in Elbouzedi, Palmer and Melbourne, so a good place for him to be.

Boing Boing

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2020, 09:24:15 PM »
The positive to take from that is that the club are obviously looking to recruit another keeper. Hope its a No1
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Critical Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2020, 11:41:00 AM »
All the best to Alex and his next loan move but looking ahead, does anyone think he will ever play in the first team?

I’ve been a WBA supporter near on 20yrs and can’t remember a goalkeeper from the academy ever breaking into the first team?
Frank Burrows Appreciation Society

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2020, 11:52:45 AM »
All the best to Alex and his next loan move but looking ahead, does anyone think he will ever play in the first team?

I’ve been a WBA supporter near on 20yrs and can’t remember a goalkeeper from the academy ever breaking into the first team?

No.

Grbic is 24. Johnstone was 24 when he played in the play off final for Villa. If Palmer at 24 is being loaned out lower league he clearly isnt thought good enough.

Bilic is clearly looking for serious competition for Johnstone yet isnt even seemingly interested in looking at Palmer in pre season.

That just about says it all.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2020, 01:02:48 PM »
No.

Grbic is 24. Johnstone was 24 when he played in the play off final for Villa. If Palmer at 24 is being loaned out lower league he clearly isnt thought good enough.

Bilic is clearly looking for serious competition for Johnstone yet isnt even seemingly interested in looking at Palmer in pre season.

That just about says it all.

Players mature at different ages. Some goalkeepers mature later but go on longer and peak in their mid-30's (van der Sar, Friedel), whereas others peak early and are shot by their late 20's (such as De Gea, Hart).

I think we're keeping him because we know he'll peak later.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2020, 01:07:16 PM »
Another way of looking at it is they think he's good, but don't want to leave him sitting around on the bench. He'll get more experience at Lincoln than he would sat on our bench.

Having paid so much for Johnstone, he's going to be number 1 regardless of how bad he is.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2020, 01:19:37 PM »
I think the loan was always the plan. I wouldn't take any notice of Bilic seemingly being unwilling to look at him in pre season when pre season is going to be 3 weeks and very little if any football. Let him go to Lincoln work there be the number 1 and hope he continues to develop.

Who the back up to Johnstone ends up being might be indicative of the direction of Palmer's travel. Another young keeper and you would wonder what the long term plan is.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2020, 11:47:54 AM »
Alex Palmer has won the PFA League Two Fans Player of the Season award.

How often do goalkeepers win POTS? Can’t be many.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 11:51:10 AM by Hunnington Baggie »

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2020, 12:43:03 PM »
Alex Palmer has won the PFA League Two Fans Player of the Season award.

How often do goalkeepers win POTS? Can’t be many.

Very good achievement for Alex, straight on the bench for me, forget the loans.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2020, 12:54:04 PM »
May be. If we fail to get another keeper in perhaps it's time to give him a go as back up to Johnson. If we are in the Championship next season he could end up as our first choice keeper then.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2020, 12:55:24 PM »

Might be our number 1 come the 2021/22 season, so another season of 1st team football could only benefit him.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2020, 03:07:31 PM »
Might be our number 1 come the 2021/22 season, so another season of 1st team football could only benefit him.

I don't like all this loaning out stuff. When was the last time we sent someone on loan then they came back and became a regular first team member? Genuine question because I cannot remember anyone.

General rule, loans mean the beginning of the end.

Palmer is young for a goalkeeper but he's not a kid and if he's going to make our grade he really needs to be at least pushing Johnstone now.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2020, 03:13:01 PM »
I don't like all this loaning out stuff. When was the last time we sent someone on loan then they came back and became a regular first team member? Genuine question because I cannot remember anyone.

Palmer is young for a goalkeeper but he's not a kid and if he's going to make our grade he really needs to be at least pushing Johnstone now.
Yes, pushing him off the team bus and grabbing his shirt!

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2020, 03:13:55 PM »

Saido went out on loan before he broke into the first team.

It does happen and I think it's better than letting them waste their most important developmental years.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2020, 03:18:54 PM »
Saido went out on loan before he broke into the first team.

Fair enough but if we have to go back that far it sort of proves my point doesnt it?

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2020, 03:29:00 PM »
Fair enough but if we have to go back that far it sort of proves my point doesnt it?
Dara O'Shea I think is the most recent

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2020, 03:42:41 PM »

Yeah ok. It obviously can work though I'm not totally convinced.

Take Callum Morton now, on loan last season should be given game time this season as third choice striker IMO, give him a bit of game time here and there an. let him adjust to the Premier League environment.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2020, 03:47:29 PM »
Kyle Edwards got 27 games this season and he’s been on loan. Harper got 10 and has been on loan and Dara finished with 17 games. Only Ferguson hadn’t been out of our academy players last season.

pete

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2020, 06:44:42 AM »
I'd rather have my 5" missus in goal than that clown Johnston. Hes an half decent shot stopper but that's all he has to his game. Put the lad in, there are young keepers that learn from playing in the premier.

That said

Carson and James made a big mistake and it destroyed their confidence and careers. Still put him in.
Kiss and make up sex is the best around, after all its better than no sex!

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2020, 07:41:21 AM »
Yeah ok. It obviously can work though I'm not totally convinced.

Take Callum Morton now, on loan last season should be given game time this season as third choice striker IMO, give him a bit of game time here and there an. let him adjust to the Premier League environment.
From what I have seen Morton is nowhere near ready. Physically he looks like a boy still, don’t know about a loan looks like he needs time in the gym and several cows worth of steaks. What he does appear to have is a sense of anticipation as to where the ball will drop!
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2020, 08:19:17 AM »
I'd rather have my 5" missus in goal than that clown Johnston. Hes an half decent shot stopper but that's all he has to his game. Put the lad in, there are young keepers that learn from playing in the premier.

That said

Carson and James made a big mistake and it destroyed their confidence and careers. Still put him in.

She's tiny   :o  ! or is it a euphemism  ;D
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2020, 09:01:36 AM »
Kyle Edwards got 27 games this season and he’s been on loan. Harper got 10 and has been on loan and Dara finished with 17 games. Only Ferguson hadn’t been out of our academy players last season.

Rekeem Harper aswell

plenty of players have gone out on loan and come back and become regular members of the first team squad and starting XI
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2020, 09:08:33 AM »
I'd rather have my 5" missus in goal than that clown Johnston.......

Good morning Mr Thumb (Tom), all of the very best to Mrs Thumb  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2020, 10:44:41 AM »
From what I have seen Morton is nowhere near ready. Physically he looks like a boy still, don’t know about a loan looks like he needs time in the gym and several cows worth of steaks. What he does appear to have is a sense of anticipation as to where the ball will drop!

I've seen stronger paper aeroplanes than Jamie Vardy (example), he doesnt do too badly.

I remember Sol Campbell dropping to the lower leagues with Notts County he couldn't handle the physical nature of the game and retired after a couple of games.

The Premier League is all about quality.

Even back in the day it was a myth about players not being big enough or strong enough. The likes of Juninho, Gordon Cowans, Stan Cummings, Alan Devonshire all dispelled that theory.