Author Topic: Proved Appleton wasn't good enough  (Read 6467 times)

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

Proved Appleton wasn't good enough
« on: February 18, 2011, 12:03:04 AM »
Lets move on to the Hodgson era now.
At 3-0 up we did well, but clearly Appleton lost it with his defensive tactics in the second half and awful substitutes which just didn't work. Top bloke and all, but he's clearly not cut out for it after making some very basic errors. Keep at a good number 2 imo.

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

Re: Proved Appleton wasn't good enough
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 12:40:17 AM »
I agree he messed up in the second half however, people seem to forget, in the first half, he changed formation and the team he put out was spot on imo. (Our best line-up)

Who knows what would have happened if Mulumbu hadn't have gone off, we might have won by more, but football is a very fickle game and he definitely made bad mistakes in the second, however the players were most accountable for the demise, not Appleton.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 09:17:14 AM »
I just couldn't understand the substitutions, everyone I have spoken too would have brought a defender on and moved Scharner into midfield instead of bringing Mozza on and then bringing Barnes on to play in the middle. After such a good start Mulumbu going off really did change the game.

reis wbafc patel

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 02:25:12 PM »
i agree
if we kept appleton it would have been a bad choice as he is only young for a manager he has no experience. but for the first half we proved that 4-4-2 works, so that should help hodgson decide what formation to play
ALBION TIL I DIE

baggieboyjop

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 04:33:58 PM »
With appleton, i thought his starting line up was good and sensible but from then on it was a bit of a disaster tactically. Oh well, onwards and upwards  ;)
I hate stoke, i hate newcastle more than i hate stoke, i hate andy carrol more than i hate newcastle, i hate v*lla more than i hate andy carrol but i hate the dingles most of all. Albion till i die

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 04:48:43 PM »
First ever managerial game, I understand sometimes you fall to the pressure, however, that cannot be excuse for his second half substitutions. Graham Dorrans more than likely came off because of his match fitness, that's understandable, hadn't got a problem with that.

Bringing on Giles Barnes for Jerome Thomas baffled me, especially as Barnes brought nothing to the side. He reverted to the diamond formation which backfired, surely, Carlos Vela would of been more suited? Anyhow, it left us vulnerable down our wings.

Like Appleton says, he'll learn alot from Roy Hodgson and that's important. If our confidence wasn't frail then I'm sure we could of with stood some of their pressure.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 05:12:58 PM »
The good news is that he will definitely learn from Hodgson and improve as a coach even if he is only here for 18 months.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 07:05:43 PM »
Yeah maybe West Ham was too early. I agree with the posts here though generally speaking.
I'd also like to add that what wasn't Appleton's fault was the defences' nerves which kicked in at 3-1. It was cringe worthy to watch such terrible mistakes and 3-3 looked very much on the cards. Roy will have to correct this mentality quickly.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 07:07:24 PM »
According to some person on facebook who met Michael Appleton after the game for a picture, he said Jerome Thomas was struggling with a shoulder strain.

Must of been when he fell over with the goal gaping  :D
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Perrybarrbaggy

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 08:16:28 PM »
I have no idea why we went into a diamond formation, especially with barnes as the head of the diamond, when clearly he's not a centre mid as he was useless there, he's a winger

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 08:33:25 PM »
I have no idea why we went into a diamond formation, especially with barnes as the head of the diamond, when clearly he's not a centre mid as he was useless there, he's a winger

The shape wasn't too bad to change to as Parker started to run the show from deep, the problem was we ended up with a midfield of wingers that didn't know what they were doing in the middle of the park. It backfired as it allowed Parker to carry on running the show but higher up the pitch but then Noble was given space too, with the right kind of players in the middle it may have worked out fine.

Perrybarrbaggy

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 11:43:48 PM »
I agree in that terms, had we had mulumbu as an anchorman we would have done better , I seem to remember who ever was on the left of the diamond going missing defensively, and Barnes clearly isn't a centre mid

But that's what the manager is paid for, he should have been able to see that the diamond was not going to work , and I dont remember any change to it once they got the power

Scharner should have been moved into the midfield, to add some defensive "steel"

Scott Parker enjoyed thart diamond .. we should have changed back to a 4-4-2 as soon as we saw it was not working

Barnes Dorrans Morrison Brunt