Author Topic: 28th July 2018 Albion 5 Coventry City 2  (Read 22513 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: 28th July 2018 v Coventry City (H - Cyrille Regis Memorial Game)
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2018, 03:56:20 PM »
Not a bad half. Robson-Kanu with his work rate is the pick so fsr but Barnes is showing some exciting signs. 2 goals and an assist already. Starting to get the better of his full back on the outside as well. Starting to see the similarities with Lampard when he cuts inside (found then weird when I 1st saw them compared).

Livermore covering the defence well, but really can't be relied on going forward. Top many overhit balls. Still, next to a more advanced midfielder he will be ok.

Phillips, Morrison and Brunt all showing in midfield. They have dominated Coventry.

Bar one mistake for the goal, we have defended well. Bartler great in the air, if not that great on the floor. Hegazi aldo dominant. Hard to analyse Gibbs and Cranie as Coventry have barely ventured forward. Both players seem to be able to go quite far forward (Cranie is trying to get involved in attacks a lot more over the final 20 mins of half).

Easy half, will be good to build on it and get some confidence.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 04:03:12 PM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2018, 04:07:57 PM »
Livermore sets Phillips free, but his perfect cross is knocked over bar by Robson kanu
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2018, 04:11:09 PM »
Great team goal, results in a ball across the box, with Livermore striking home from just before penalty spot. 5 1
Boing Boing

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2018, 04:13:35 PM »
has the online radio stopped working for anyone else?

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2018, 04:28:20 PM »
Nearly 70 mins in and we make our first changes. I think we can safely say this will near enough be our starting team next saturday.

Rodriguez, Barry on

Gibbs, Robson Kanu off. Decent games for both of them
Boing Boing

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2018, 04:31:05 PM »
Apparently, the turnout is 7,590
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2018, 04:32:24 PM »
Hopefully a few players will see there is competition for places now !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2018, 04:35:02 PM »
Rodriguez has reenergised us now.

Barnes, Hegazi off

Leko, Fitwater on
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2018, 04:36:56 PM »
Poor defending, 5 2 from a free header after a free cross.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2018, 04:38:04 PM »
Phillips, Cranie, Livermore off

Wilson, Harper, Burke on
Boing Boing

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2018, 04:48:15 PM »
when was last time a new player forced himself into reckoning for a start.  I'm struggling to think of one
Yacob  :'(
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: 28th July 2018 Albion 5 Coventry City 2
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2018, 05:41:38 PM »
Just back, not bad for a pre season friendly.

We do look much more balanced with Morrison in the team providing an outlet, just have to keep him fit.

Some question marks over the defence. Hegazi looked great, but while Bartley was good in the air, he was less assured on the ground. If Dawson is sold, we will need to replace him with a genuine starting contender to keep Bartley on his toes.

Cranie is a bit on the small side for a centre half, but not quite good enough on the ground for a full back. He seems to read play well enough but got the ball stuck under his feet a little at times.

Robson-Kanu did his claims no harm, while Barnes was a real star. He looked to be forming a good partnership on the left with Gibbs before he went off.

Phillips tailed off a little as the game went on but did work well with Livermore and Brunt a few of times. As for the the later 2, both looked assured, albeit had a habit of playing a few too many longer balls (not aimless hoofs, but still lacking in finesse). They both shielded the defence well though.

Not much to report from the subs. Rodriguez added life to a game that was starting to fizzle out and had a hand in everything good we did in the last 20 mins.

Barry looked a little slow but his reading of the game was spot on and if he can get up to speed he could still stake a claim.

The kids all came on with around 10 mins left, and I gave up trying to work out the formation. The game was too far gone for them to leave a lasting impression, although there was one good passage of play involving (i think) Wilson, Rodriguez, possibly Edwards and then Leko who couldn't quite get his shot off.
Boing Boing

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2018, 06:02:28 PM »
It's very hard to get excited over that starting line-up. Is Field injured?

The side chosen for the final pre-season friendly often gives a clue about how clubs will line-up for the first league game - I hope this selection doesn't!

Having gone to the game, so do I.

Played ok on the front foot, but suspect at the back.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2018, 06:04:56 PM »
I thought we were fantastic for the first 30 minutes or so against admittedly a very poor Coventry team. It's been a long time since I've seen an Albion team pass the ball around like that.We were incisive, sharp and looked levels above Coventry.

We died off gradually after that. Second half wasn't great then we made must've been eight or nine subs. It couldn't have been easy for all the kids coming on together but none of them really impressed.

Where was Dawson? Where was Nyom? Where was Field (please don't tell me he's injured AGAIN?).

What's going on with Crainie?

We look a bit shaky at the back, that needs tightening.

Harvey Barnes clearly has a lot of ability.

Good game for a friendly, bring on next week.  :D

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2018, 06:24:03 PM »
Definitely some signs of encouragement with that performance, albeit against a sluggish looking Coventry outfit.

Barnes looked very lively, cutting inside at any opportunity, and he linked very well with with Morrison and HRK.

HRK played really well and chased everything (which is always the bare minimum really). He did miss one sitter in the second half that Phillips put on a plate for him.

Brunt and Morrison worked really well and it's vital that we keep Morrison fit. However, if we are going with this 4231, a formation I've always felt suits us, then we will need another player who can link play and fit behind the striker.

I'm really not sure about Cranie. He was beaten a few times and the first goal, his man shrugged him off the ball before curling one into the corner. It's pretty clear that we are going to bring him in but I just hope that it is purely as back up.

Rondon not coming off the bench is interesting; I think he's off to be honest.

I think that will be pretty much the team next week, although I still think Rodriquez will play up top.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2018, 06:38:04 PM »
I don’t know what’s in Darren’s mind re the line up or what other constraints there are, but sometimes fans try to second guess and overthink things.

I’m just going to enjoy this wonderful ocassion in honour of our Legend, Cyrille Regis!

I’m pleased to read, from the post during and after the game that the pendulum of optimism is, general, rebalanced,  until the next occasion that is   :D

It’s the hope that kills you  ;D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2018, 06:39:36 PM »
I went to the game with no great expectations, but was very pleasantly surprised by the first half performance. We looked like a team. Playing incisive quick passing football, we totally outplayed Coventry and looked very sharp. I thought that Bartley, and Crainie looked steady and the excellent Barnes looked a level above anything that we have seen from either Burke or Leko so far. The second half substitutions severely disrupted the second half, and I am mindful of that when I say that JRod was less impressive than HRK had been in the first half.I am not sure as to where Dawson, Rondon, JRod, and Chadli figure in the scheme of things, but I would be relatively comfortable with todays starting line-up starting next week, unless there is a major improvement signing arriving next week . 
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2018, 06:45:49 PM »
Definitely some signs of encouragement with that performance, albeit against a sluggish looking Coventry outfit.

Barnes looked very lively, cutting inside at any opportunity, and he linked very well with with Morrison and HRK.

HRK played really well and chased everything (which is always the bare minimum really). He did miss one sitter in the second half that Phillips put on a plate for him.

Brunt and Morrison worked really well and it's vital that we keep Morrison fit. However, if we are going with this 4231, a formation I've always felt suits us, then we will need another player who can link play and fit behind the striker.

I'm really not sure about Cranie. He was beaten a few times and the first goal, his man shrugged him off the ball before curling one into the corner. It's pretty clear that we are going to bring him in but I just hope that it is purely as back up.

Rondon not coming off the bench is interesting; I think he's off to be honest.

I think that will be pretty much the team next week, although I still think Rodriquez will play up top.

It's possible that Rondon could be off, but there could be an argument that says DM knows what he will get with SR, but needs more confirmation with HRK.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2018, 07:12:48 PM »
I went to the game today and actually enjoyed it which is rare based on previous preseason friendlies, anything below is based on today only so its a disclaimer for the rest of the season!

Coventry first half were awful, have no idea if that was there normal team but they didnt seem to really try.

That said we passed the ball about quite well and you can see there is a change in style, we will have more of the ball this year so its good to see preseason has been spent working on that.

Bartley reminded me a bit of GMac in that he is no nonsense, nothing flashy but looks an out and out defender, was quite impressed,  Hegazi was decent too except for a mistake first half where they missed a sitter.

I thought Gibbs played well and got forward a lot, which suits him as he is better going forward than at the back, again this should suit us as the onus will be on us to break teams down. Crainie was okay but i wouldnt want him to be our first choice right back, i dont normally like squad players but with somebody like Crainie who can slot in here and there in a number of positions i can see the appeal of giving him a deal, as a regular though - no.

Brunt will be starting the season centre midfield (think OldburyWBA will be over the moon about that!) , he was the playmaker and everything went through him, i would imagine teams this season will pick up on that very early this season and try and stop him playing so hopefully we have other plans. I thought him and Livermore both had good games, bit rusty with their passing but it is preseason, it helped massively having Morrison in front of them, a actual natural attacking midfielder rather than somebody filling in there like last season.

Phillips was Phillips, decent enough but you always think he has potential to be so much better than he is. Barnes was very impressive, you can tell within 2 minutes he is a lot more of a natural footballer than Burke, just by his touch and awareness.

Robson-Kanu got better as the game went on, again i can see the appeal in keeping him, at this level he will be quite useful but i am not sure you would want him as your main centre forward.

Going forward we looked threatening and you can see we tried to play football and be creative even if sometimes it didnt work, however second half when Coventry upped their game a bit, we did look a bit suspect defensively, if the Barnsley game and today are anything to go by, its going to the reverse of the last few years, not sure about 0-0, 1-0, 1-1, will be more 4-3, 5-4!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 07:15:12 PM by Albion79 »

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2018, 07:17:52 PM »
I went to the game today and actually enjoyed it which is rare based on previous preseason friendlies, anything below is based on today only so its a disclaimer for the rest of the season!

Coventry first half were awful, have no idea if that was there normal team but they didnt seem to really try.

That said we passed the ball about quite well and you can see there is a change in style, we will have more of the ball this year so its good to see preseason has been spent working on that.

Bartley reminded me a bit of GMac in that he is no nonsense, nothing flashy but looks an out and out defender, was quite impressed,  Hegazi was decent too except for a mistake first half where they missed a sitter.

I thought Gibbs played well and got forward a lot, which suits him as he is better going forward than at the back, again this should suit us as the onus will be on us to break teams down. Crainie was okay but i wouldnt want him to be our first choice right back, i dont normally like squad players but with somebody like Crainie who can slot in here and there in a number of positions i can see the appeal of giving him a deal, as a regular though - no.

Brunt will be starting the season centre midfield (think OldburyWBA will be over the moon about that!) thought him and Livermore both had good games, bit rusty with their passing but it is preseason, it helped massively having Morrison in front of them, a actual natural attacking midfielder rather than somebody filling in there like last season.

Phillips was Phillips, decent enough but you always think he has potential to be so much better than he is. Barnes was very impressive, you can tell within 2 minutes he is a lot more of a natural footballer than Burke, just by his touch and awareness.

Robson-Kanu got better as the game went on, again i can see the appeal in keeping him, at this level he will be quite useful but i am not sure you would want him as your main centre forward.

Going forward we looked threatening and you can see we tried to play football and be creative even if sometimes it didnt work, however second half when Coventry upped their game a bit, we did look a bit suspect defensively, if the Barnsley game and today are anything to go by, its going to the reverse of the last few years, not sure about 0-0, 1-0, 1-1, will be more 4-3, 5-4!

I accepted it as soon as Moore got the job, do I agree with it ? NO. Have I seen anything to suggest he is a central midfielder ? NO again.

He's not a natural in that role, its a case of fitting him in for set pieces. Today we played a side just promoted from League 2 so its not something that people can read to much into, its nice to get a few goals and get some confidence but it all starts next week. Hopefully we can take advantage of the problems Bolton have been having in pre-season and I expect 3 points but after that there's a couple of tough games coming up.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2018, 07:22:28 PM »
Brunt is that deep at times he's alongside the centre backs. He fills in at left back when Gibbs goes forward as well. The formation looked like 4-1-4-1 to me to start with. In the second half I was too busy trying to figure out who all the subs were to pay much attention to formation. Where was the announcer bloke?

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2018, 07:45:18 PM »
Did you all know when Cyrille came back to the Hawthorns with Coventry for the first time we won that game 5-2 (like today) and a winger called Barnes (Peter) scored just like Harvey did today.

Spooky eh?  ;D

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2018, 08:15:56 PM »
Haha, i knew you would be pleased to see brunty there oldbury!

I agree by the way, i edited my post after just saying that teams will soon cotton on that brunt is the playmaker and goes deep to get the ball so they wont just sitback and let him ping it around like he could today.

We will definitely need other options for games when that does happen.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2018, 09:33:57 PM »
Found the highlights on Youtube for those interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIe4Mg9gkjA

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2018, 09:55:16 AM »
For anyone there yesterday, what did the shape of the team look like? 4411 or a 4231?