Author Topic: Karlan Grant  (Read 292230 times)

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Karlan Grant
« Reply #2000 on: June 25, 2023, 08:19:18 PM »
From memory, the agreement meant that we paid HTFC over 6 seasons at around £2.5 million per season.
So, I think you're correct, we probably owe £5 million over two seasons.

If we could get a transfer fee of (say) £3 million, wouldn't that show as a profit of £500k for one season, & a loss of £2 million for the next season?
Wouldn't we have provided for a write down of £2.5 million per season on his asset value anyway?

If we sell a player on the books at 5 million for 3 million it would be a 2 million loss. Can’t still have an asset for next year on the accounts that’s been sold.

If we were sensible we would have wrote Grants & Dianganas values down by more when the parachute money was coming in. 

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2001 on: June 25, 2023, 09:40:27 PM »
If we sell a player on the books at 5 million for 3 million it would be a 2 million loss. Can’t still have an asset for next year on the accounts that’s been sold.

If we were sensible we would have wrote Grants & Dianganas values down by more when the parachute money was coming in.

Yes, I understand that, but we owe HTFC around £5 million over two years at £2.5 million a year.

As things stand KG has an estimated book vale of £5 million, a £3 million sale would, as you say give us an asset loss of £2 million.
Add in the £2.5 million we owe to HTFC for that season, that equates to a loss of £4.5 million.
The following season we would owe HTFC £2.5 million,but we would have budgeted for a write down of £2.5 million, so, as far as the budget is concerned, would the budgeted write down (now not required) off-set the debt to HTFC?
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2002 on: June 26, 2023, 03:23:18 AM »
The issue is I think any instalments that are still outstanding have to be settled when we sell Grant so the losses crystalise at the point he is sold unless he is sold for a fee which is equal or greater to the debt we have outstanding. If we had no outstanding debt selling him for less than book value would not have an implication for our cash flow.

Taking a cash loss which negates nearly half the O'Shea fee is horrible keeping a player who will swallow nearly all the O'Shea fee over the remainder of his contract is equally horrible.

IF there is interest I think the club has to bite the bullet and unload him for the longer term financial health of the club but it is not overly helpful in the here and now. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2003 on: June 26, 2023, 08:14:38 AM »
The issue is I think any instalments that are still outstanding have to be settled when we sell Grant so the losses crystalise at the point he is sold unless he is sold for a fee which is equal or greater to the debt we have outstanding. If we had no outstanding debt selling him for less than book value would not have an implication for our cash flow.

Taking a cash loss which negates nearly half the O'Shea fee is horrible keeping a player who will swallow nearly all the O'Shea fee over the remainder of his contract is equally horrible.

IF there is interest I think the club has to bite the bullet and unload him for the longer term financial health of the club but it is not overly helpful in the here and now.

Very well summarised.  Totally agree.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2004 on: June 26, 2023, 08:26:33 AM »

Is that the case though Stan?
The agreement with HTFC was 6 equal payments over 6 years, so, in the event of a sale less than the outstanding debt, we wouldn't have to take the hit in the same financial year would we?

Off-setting stage payments against the asset value of a player, is a risky strategy for me, especially over 6 years.

A loan agreement would swallow up almost all of the DoS fee anyway, if Grant's going it has to be a sale. The options are severely limited.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2005 on: June 26, 2023, 12:11:14 PM »
We are paying for the asset in instalments we have sold the asset a bit like car finance we have to settle the finance when we no longer have the asset. However regardless of timing the issue remains even if it isn't a cash hit this year which is terrible it is nearly 10% of the clubs income for the next 2 years for absolutely nothing.

Grant's contract is the absolute worst issue that the club has to deal until it is either resolved or expires we don't start to recover. The club has to do something with Grant this summer even a loan just to try to mitigate the cost.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2006 on: June 26, 2023, 12:37:03 PM »
unpalletable as this may sound,
In the event of finding somewhere to offload KG to, could WBA simply factor the debt outstanding to Huddersfield?

I know its stupid and unlikely we could find anyone willing to factor the debt unless it was based on crippling costs
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2007 on: June 26, 2023, 12:49:53 PM »
I think we just have to hope there is someone as impressed by his goalscoring record at Hudds, as some people here were. However, clubs will always tend to look to a player's most recent form. In some ways he needs to be in the shop window i.e. playing, as otherwise you can get into a Zohore situation. Whilst Phillips and Dike stay injured, he may get some more opportunities.  Hopefully he can hit a bit of form, and so encourage a club to take a gamble. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2008 on: June 26, 2023, 12:52:51 PM »
I actually think the best we can hope for with Grant is that he can at least be the Grant of two seasons back and find an understanding with someone similar to that of the understanding he had with Robinson. Highly unlikely but like I say, realistically I think it’s the best we can hope for. He’s come back looking in good shape and I hope Carlos can get a tune out of him.

Unrealistically…someone takes him off our hands.

The issue is what he brings to the game when he’s not scoring, simply has to do more because he didn’t score a lot last season and he was therefore almost completely useless.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2009 on: June 26, 2023, 12:54:31 PM »
Despite his lack of ability if you can play a way that suits Grant then he would continue to be a 20 goal a season player at this level however he doesn't fit in under CC at all.

The longer he stays here under CC the further his value drops.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2010 on: June 26, 2023, 01:44:34 PM »
Despite his lack of ability if you can play a way that suits Grant then he would continue to be a 20 goal a season player at this level however he doesn't fit in under CC at all.

If he had any heart he could do well here. I think he's got decent ability but I can't be convinced he has the desire or or try's his upmost. Scotland is about his best option and he might show more willing in a side that's winning 90% of the time.  I'm don't see too many clubs in England having an interest unless some feel they can get him in a relatively cheap loan towards the end of the window, so if the Rangers interest is genuine I'd be reluctant to play too much hard ball.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2011 on: June 26, 2023, 01:48:04 PM »
If he had any heart he could do well here. I think he's got decent ability but I can't be convinced he has the desire or or try's his upmost. Scotland is about his best option and he might show more willing in a side that's winning 90% of the time.  I'm don't see too many clubs in England having an interest unless some feel they can get him in a relatively cheap loan towards the end of the window, so if the Rangers interest is genuine I'd be reluctant to play too much hard ball.

He's got no heart but he's a Bilic signing so i accept that as much as i don't want too. Agreed he should be shipped off if we get offered a few million.

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2012 on: June 26, 2023, 03:44:18 PM »
Offers nothing to the team since he’s been here . Take out the penalties he’s scored from 2 seasons ago and his total looks even more modest . Then look at the points he cost us with missed penalties and his return is even worse . As already stated his overall contribution in matches is generally close to zero .

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2013 on: June 26, 2023, 03:52:27 PM »

Grant has never hit 20 goals in a season, even with penalties I floating his figures.

He/him

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2014 on: June 26, 2023, 03:56:39 PM »
Grant has never hit 20 goals in a season, even with penalties I floating his figures.

He got 19 with Huddersfield and 18 with us, you know what i mean   :P

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2015 on: June 26, 2023, 04:13:48 PM »
If he is playing for one of the dominant  teams in a division he is their main goal threat and they build their entire game around him to accommodate his strengths and weaknesses then maybe just maybe you get 20 goals from him. However unless opposition coaches are particularly poor then I doubt you get a second 20 goal season.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2016 on: June 26, 2023, 04:26:02 PM »
He got 19 with Huddersfield and 18 with us, you know what i mean   :P

18 and 19 are the new 20s  ;D ?
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2017 on: June 26, 2023, 04:41:54 PM »

They are close enough to be 😂

Bilston Dan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2018 on: June 26, 2023, 04:55:29 PM »

Rounding up ay we?  :D
"I don't get hangovers, I just feel sick and have a headache"

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2019 on: June 26, 2023, 05:38:38 PM »
Since when did we all join Pedant's Corner?  :)

18, 19, 20.... I'd dream of any of those right now!!
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2020 on: June 26, 2023, 10:04:16 PM »
He would score bagfuls in Scotland where there's around 3-5 teams of Championship quality and the rest are trash.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2021 on: June 26, 2023, 10:06:14 PM »
I appreciate I was being a pedant, but it's also true that without penalties he's never got above 14 goals in a season (21-22).

I know there's the adage of "well he still has to score them", but I think it also masks some rather average shooting.

He/him

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2022 on: June 30, 2023, 12:16:20 PM »
On fire in todays training session footage the club have posted. Looks slimmer too, could just be me.

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2023 on: June 30, 2023, 12:24:02 PM »
On fire in todays training session footage the club have posted. Looks slimmer too, could just be me.

He might look slimmer, but has that imporved his control of the ball or passing ? which are awful for a Professional Footballer

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2024 on: June 30, 2023, 12:26:59 PM »
He might look slimmer, but has that imporved his control of the ball or passing ? which are awful for a Professional Footballer

They didn't show that but he buried the 2 chances they did show. Trying to move on him i'd imagine.