Author Topic: Karlan Grant  (Read 295416 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: Karlan Grant
« Reply #2200 on: July 22, 2023, 02:24:04 PM »
Well he looked fit as a flee against FC Braga the other night and the Gaffa wants to play him on the left in a front 3 which I'm told is his best position.

I remember a few of the posters on this site said the same about Kipre when we took him last season and he was very good admittedly in a struggling side.

I'm not sure what you want us to say Taff. You seem to be taking our views personally.

Kipre had 2 seasons here on the back of a good time at Wigan where he wasn't quite up to premier league level and then later in a dysfunctional team in his second season, behind some decent centre halves. There was always a chance he was going to thrive back at a club in the bottom half of the championship.

Grant has been here 3 seasons now and had plenty of opportunities. Huddersfield fans feedback was largely correct, he can't play as a centre forward on his own up front and had a spell at Huddersfield of around 11 months when he first arrived where he scored goals and then did very little else (we were still desperate enough to waste £14m on him).

He is a left sided forward who isn't that quick, isn't particularly creative, doesn't take a player on and tends to have one move which involves him cutting in on his right foot and drilling it into the bottom corner from 20 yards out.

A side struggling against relegation might find a niche for him and benefit from his goals - he could score you 15-18 next season (albeit many will be penalties), but you need to be able to accommodate him week in week out because if he isn't cutting in and scoring, he rarely adds anything to a game, no threat, doesn't work the right back, doesn't give you anything to think about defensively and won't be creating much for the other players in the side.

That's our honest view, I'll be surprised if Cardiff fans have a different view of him if he fails to score you the 18 plus goals needed to justify his place.

It's worth saying he scored goals at Huddersfield at the same time they were struggling in both the Premier league and then the championship. Clearly their team didn't function that well despite his goals, which maybe tells you how you have to make sacrifices to get the best out of him.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 02:31:31 PM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2201 on: July 22, 2023, 02:42:28 PM »
Cardiffs expectations are different to ours though guys and that's no disrespect to Cardiff.

Our squad players will improve their side most of the time.

Taff

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2202 on: July 22, 2023, 02:49:01 PM »
I never take anything posted on a football forum personally.anyone would be silly to  :D I suppose if he turns out like you say he'll be back with you sharpish.He looked very good the other night though against against the type of quality we probably won't face this season and turned the right back inside out on several occasions.As for expectations, I don't speak with any sort of divinity, just realism and I'll be glad for a better season than last.

Anyway all the best for the season.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2203 on: July 22, 2023, 03:24:37 PM »
I never take anything posted on a football forum personally.anyone would be silly to  :D I suppose if he turns out like you say he'll be back with you sharpish.He looked very good the other night though against against the type of quality we probably won't face this season and turned the right back inside out on several occasions.As for expectations, I don't speak with any sort of divinity, just realism and I'll be glad for a better season than last.

Anyway all the best for the season.

In fairness, it's a friendly though which count for very little. Although Grant was a huge flop here, I still maintain that he could be good at this level (15 goals per season) under the right setup and if he was truly bothered. With us, he had a long contract and didn't seem to respond well with it. So, you never know.

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2204 on: July 22, 2023, 04:24:52 PM »
Best but if business we’ve done so far this summer in loaning him to Cardiff !

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2205 on: July 23, 2023, 03:33:50 PM »
I hope we do have recall option in our favour.

Best case scenario he bangs in 10 to 12 by January, with the help of Robbo,  and a desperate Leeds, etc, etc or even bottom 6 prem club comes in for him and offers us half what we paid.

I really hope, without a loan fee we weren't so stupid as not to have recall option.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2206 on: July 23, 2023, 03:45:59 PM »
Best but if business we’ve done so far this summer in loaning him to Cardiff !
Not sure how you work that out. Look round this squad at the moment and can’t see many who are more likely to score than him . Looks as if he’s fitter than any time since he arrived as well !
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2207 on: July 23, 2023, 04:19:00 PM »
Quite simple really, hard to beat, he’s been with us 3 seasons and the one thing you can expect from any player is 100% effort in every game they play in . Do you think he’s done that ?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 07:40:59 PM by DevonInStripes »

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2208 on: July 23, 2023, 04:28:57 PM »
Quite simple really, hard to beat, he’s been with us 3 seasons and the one thing you can expect from any player is 100% effort in every game they play in . Do think he’s done that ?
We’ve got nothing for him , we haven’t replaced him and we have nobody more likely to score as it stands that’s what concerns me !
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2209 on: July 24, 2023, 02:06:26 PM »
We’ve got nothing for him , we haven’t replaced him and we have nobody more likely to score as it stands that’s what concerns me !

You are right that without him our limited ability to get a goal has been diminished even further BUT with his wages off the books we have more flexibility to bring a few more attacking players in.

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2210 on: August 19, 2023, 02:14:10 PM »
Already been dropped to the bench, it doesn't bode well when it come to selling him.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2211 on: August 19, 2023, 04:56:32 PM »
Already been dropped to the bench, it doesn't bode well when it come to selling him.

Are we surprised though? He’s no good, simple as.

Taff

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2212 on: September 22, 2023, 12:51:57 PM »
Last 2 performances have been good and he seems to be getting better.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2213 on: September 22, 2023, 01:18:16 PM »
Fingers crossed it continues. We could do with the money from a sale. Surprised to see his mid week goal was his first in 13 months.
Boing Boing

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2214 on: September 22, 2023, 02:47:56 PM »
Last 2 performances have been good and he seems to be getting better.

Getting better? Nah…

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2215 on: September 22, 2023, 08:24:28 PM »
I don’t think it’s possible that he can change his general play at this point in his career. Just hope Cardiff come in with a bid in January!

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2216 on: December 29, 2023, 10:34:59 PM »
Is it possible we'll recall him in January? Cover for the injured Phillips and the loss of Diangana to the ACON..

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2217 on: December 29, 2023, 10:42:34 PM »
Is it possible we'll recall him in January? Cover for the injured Phillips and the loss of Diangana to the ACON..

As was posted in the Sarmiento thread, no. Because loans to Cardiff are classed as international loans as Cardiff fall under the FAW, even though they play in the EFL.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2218 on: December 29, 2023, 10:52:08 PM »
As was posted in the Sarmiento thread, no. Because loans to Cardiff are classed as international loans as Cardiff fall under the FAW, even though they play in the EFL.
Thanks for clearing that up,

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2219 on: December 30, 2023, 07:38:51 AM »
Hopefully he has done well enough that Cardiff want to make the move permenant.
O Albion we love you

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2220 on: December 30, 2023, 11:23:03 AM »
DOne his hamstring last night, came off injured after 40 mins. Hopefully it's not too bad and he can return and score some more goals and they buy him as he won't play under CC much

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2221 on: December 30, 2023, 12:12:53 PM »
could be out the rest of the season from last night as Cardiff rumours were a hamstring rupture which classes as a grade 3

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2222 on: December 30, 2023, 12:28:59 PM »
I never want to see him in a West Brom shirt again so any talk of recalling him, injury permitting, seems bizarre to me. Do people forget his performances when he played for us? He was terrible, Cardiff is about his level.