Author Topic: Gareth McAuley  (Read 148602 times)

Jack Thrust

• Baby Baggie

Re: Gareth McAuley
« Reply #500 on: March 30, 2017, 03:15:57 PM »
Signed a new one year deal, no brainer for all parties. 37 years old and top scoring central defender in the league, what a man!
Astle is the King

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #501 on: March 30, 2017, 03:55:42 PM »
I imagine it to be his last contract with us, makes sense though
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

Cleobury_WBA

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #502 on: March 30, 2017, 04:08:52 PM »
Really pleased with this news. With the season he is having it is a no-brainer. In terms of what he has given the club back, probably our best value signing of the PL era I reckon. Wouldn't bet against him getting another 12 month extension next year either  :o

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #503 on: March 30, 2017, 04:17:22 PM »
For the money probably our best ever signing in the modern era. I really hope next year his performance does not fall off a cliff like it did with Olson. We will need to look at signing a left back and then maybe Dawson would be an option or cover
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #504 on: March 30, 2017, 06:32:57 PM »
I'll miss when he goes

He's been an unsung hero.

Don't think he quite gets the recognition he deserves.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #505 on: March 30, 2017, 07:12:32 PM »
Fantastic news.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

wolverhampton baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #506 on: March 30, 2017, 08:16:27 PM »
Fantastic news !!
Born and bred in Dudley

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #507 on: March 30, 2017, 09:05:44 PM »
Excellent news

Such an underrated defender by many but a one of our best ever signings

As Liam has said will miss him when he finally goes.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #508 on: March 30, 2017, 10:04:55 PM »
His just deserves after another top season.
Well done Big Man. :D

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #509 on: March 30, 2017, 11:18:18 PM »
He's been great ever since his debut and has to be our best ever free transfer.

I think next season he will be phased out and used as a sub more often - perhaps with Dawson going in the middle or a new signing, either way there's no shame in it at age 38  :o

That said, I could still see him starting a fair amount and last time we signed a 'replacement' (Chester) McAuley wasn't moved, so it would be naive to write him off just yet. I think he may even play with us until 39 which would be huge in this day and age - and he deserves it as he's the ultimate professional.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #510 on: March 30, 2017, 11:29:40 PM »
would keep him as a strikers coach. ;D

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #511 on: March 31, 2017, 09:32:30 AM »
Legend, just gets better with age although I hope he's not playing every week next year and is helping to bring on Dawson and others

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #512 on: March 31, 2017, 10:18:40 AM »
Gareth, Gareth McAuley is bigger than a tree.......... (original version folks  ;) )
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

LoxleyBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #513 on: March 31, 2017, 12:03:00 PM »
Factor in that he played in a major international competition over summer and barring one or two errors another quality season from him.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #514 on: May 27, 2018, 10:53:45 PM »
G mac unsure about his future.
http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/939716809?-11200:789
could still do a job elsewhere but we need  a similar younger version,
true professional and great servant but we need to move on.

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #515 on: May 27, 2018, 11:16:36 PM »
I’m a bit confused by this. In Darren Moore’s press unveiling he said he was going to individually sit down with every player in the next week. It’s been 2 weeks and McAuley is saying he hasn’t heard anything since the end of the season?

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #516 on: May 27, 2018, 11:17:42 PM »
In normal circumstances I’d agree it would be time to ask McAuley to move on, but in a summer where we could conceivably lose Evans, Dawson and Hegazi, we can’t move McAuley on as well.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #517 on: May 28, 2018, 02:00:26 AM »
I’m a bit confused by this. In Darren Moore’s press unveiling he said he was going to individually sit down with every player in the next week. It’s been 2 weeks and McAuley is saying he hasn’t heard anything since the end of the season?
Darren said that on the 21st May, last Monday. due to us not knowing when or who conducted the interview or if it was embargoed for an amount of time,which isn't uncommon, its possible that Gareth was asked just after Dave's appointment (2 weeks ago) and they have since spoken.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 03:06:47 AM by Hunnington Baggie »

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #518 on: May 28, 2018, 08:10:09 AM »
Two things Darren was appointed 21st May and did virtually a full day of media work, so probably didn't start his conversations with the playing staff until 22nd so even if he hasn't yet spoken to McAuley he is barely out of his original time frame. Note Darren painted himself into this corner by being very specific

Secondly the final decision on McAuley might be dependent on how the talks go with the other Centre Backs. Evans is a lost cause, Dawson is widely reported to have a release clause and there has been speculation linking Hegazi with a move to Spurs among others (that doesn't happen by accident). Incidentally Hegazi is in a pre World Cup training camp with Egypt so might not be that easy to get hold of.   

So faced with the prospect of losing virtually every other Centre Back Moore might turn to McAuley to give him one last season. He can hardly let him go and a week latter pick up the phone and give him a reprieve. 

Personally I would still let him go even if it gave us a mountain to climb with regard to recruitment. If he is going to play regularly it pretty much commits us to play a deep sitting block like Terry did with the Villa no other way round it.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #519 on: May 28, 2018, 08:22:48 AM »
I think it's time for us to say thanks for everything Gareth, but it's time to move on. When he did play last season, there were signs that age was catching up with him in some respects and we should be looking towards having a more mobile defenders who can use more than one system than just sitting deep.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #520 on: May 28, 2018, 09:48:05 AM »
I think it's time for us to say thanks for everything Gareth, but it's time to move on. When he did play last season, there were signs that age was catching up with him in some respects and we should be looking towards having a more mobile defenders who can use more than one system than just sitting deep.
Farewell Gareth, and thanks for being a quality fixture in our team. A model professional who will be sorely missed but time to move on.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #521 on: May 28, 2018, 12:23:52 PM »
According to his interview with the Star he comes across as a bit miffed at being out of the side
He says' 'the reasons I was given for not being included didn't sit very well with me'
Whether that was from Pardew or Darren Moore I'm not sure
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #522 on: May 28, 2018, 12:30:10 PM »
According to his interview with the Star he comes across as a bit miffed at being out of the side
He says' 'the reasons I was given for not being included didn't sit very well with me'
Whether that was from Pardew or Darren Moore I'm not sure......

"I am absolutely fine with Darren Moore...." (Sky Sports News as per the article linked above).

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #523 on: May 28, 2018, 12:39:34 PM »
As per Albion Fan's article linked on the 'Assistant Head Coach' thread:

“Backroom staff, chats with players, contract negotiations, all in that order,” he said. “When the transfer window and the market comes around you’re able to conduct yourself better when you have had a chat with the players. The priority is the backroom team. James Shan will stay on. Neil Cutler will stay on and I am looking to bring in another addition to that".

“After that we will speak to the players and then take stock of that to come together and discuss what is going to be an interesting time for the club. James Morrison, Claudio Yacob, Boaz Myhill and Gareth McAuley are all out of contract this summer. Those players have aged but they still possess qualities for the game,”...

said Moore. “All those will be taken into consideration with a clear plan of action moving into this Championship. They’re all part of the club and we’ll be looking closely on each individual".

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2018/05/28/darren-moore-wants-wayne-jacobs-on-west-brom-staff/

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #524 on: May 28, 2018, 08:00:44 PM »
I don't think it's coincidence that our defensive form dramatically dropped when GMAC was dropped from the side. 38 is old in footballing terms but in reality, these days, players can go on much longer if their game doesn't rely on speed. If he's still got the fitness, I'd be happy to keep him on for another season. Look at Bernard Hopkins as an example of how the oldies can still be goodies. He was still embarassing world class fighters into his late 40's in a sport that is know for being a "young mans game". Age isn't that important....fitness, nutrition and talent/ability are.