Author Topic: Nathan Ferguson Joins Crystal Palace  (Read 202331 times)

Atomic

• WBA Coach

Re: Nathan Ferguson
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2019, 12:02:13 PM »
I'm staggered you think him as limited. He showed how adept he can be on the ball during yesterday's  game, including a couple of composed dribbles.
The kid, and that is what he is, has spent the last five years playing as a centre half. Give him a break!

What break? I've not exactly ripped into Nathan have I?

Why do people get so defensive if you so much as hint at a comment that isn't 100% praise?

My comments are constructive based on my opinions and this message board is here for me and others to voice their opinions, that's it's purpose.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2019, 08:38:18 PM »
Another brilliant performance, get him on a long deal asap.
Gera, Gera, Gera

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2019, 02:04:23 AM »
Superb player who loves the club. Commit him for 5 years asap. Despite that though, I love Furlong. His delivery is👌

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2019, 06:39:27 AM »
The best full back we have produced since Derek Statham.
Baggie in Southampton

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2019, 11:22:37 AM »
You beat me to it pearl,if he can keep this standard up when we get back  into the premier league then have several top quality seasons,only then can you class him as good as statham,that's how great Statham was.but he's on his way and its great to see a local lad too.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2019, 12:47:34 PM »
The best full back we have produced since Derek Statham.

After a Wolverhampton handful of games, when he's a centre half playing out of position? He's been very good, but that's hyperbole.

Let the kid play his game, and don't get carried away. He won't be brilliant every week, and we'll need to keep a more balanced perspective.

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2019, 03:13:46 PM »

What break? I've not exactly ripped into Nathan have I?

Why do people get so defensive if you so much as hint at a comment that isn't 100% praise?

My comments are constructive based on my opinions and this message board is here for me and others to voice their opinions, that's it's purpose.
You described him as "he's very basic on the ball and won't give you anything going forward which for a modern day full back is a bit of  a drawback", which imo is a travesty.
He is composed, athletic and technically more than adequate.
How you can damn an 18 year old, playing in his first season, with such faint praise defeats me.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2019, 04:47:54 PM »
After a Wolverhampton handful of games, when he's a centre half playing out of position? He's been very good, but that's hyperbole.

Let the kid play his game, and don't get carried away. He won't be brilliant every week, and we'll need to keep a more balanced perspective.

I didn't say he was better than Statham, but I struggle to think of a home produced full back since Statham to compare with his ability and potential.
Baggie in Southampton

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2019, 05:46:26 PM »
He’s excellent - such a good defender in all aspects really. Is only going to improve which is great news for us. Not too fussed about concerns going forwards as I would much rather my defenders defend first. Gibbs is great going forward but is quite a poor defender and it often shows. Far more solidity to the performances of Nathan’s feeguson.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2019, 12:31:14 AM »
He has been a relevation at fullback,wonder if Slav would try him at centre back as that's his favoured position,but like Oshea he does not look tall enough for a centre half, we are really lacking back up in the centre half position

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2019, 08:31:16 AM »
You described him as "he's very basic on the ball and won't give you anything going forward which for a modern day full back is a bit of  a drawback", which imo is a travesty.
He is composed, athletic and technically more than adequate.
How you can damn an 18 year old, playing in his first season, with such faint praise defeats me.

I'm just saying it as it is. I don't see any point in going overboard and I don't see anything wrong with pointing out what players are good at and what they aren't so good at. His age for me is largely irrelevant regarding his strengths and weaknesses, kids pick up experience and knowledge from playing games they don't change in terms of the type of player they are. I'm not sure Ferguson is a long term full back that's the point I'm making. In a Pulis type team yes, probably because full backs then basically just have to defend which is why Dawson (for example) was used at full back. In a more expansive team though full backs often are required to get forward and use the ball. That's not Ferguson's natural game. I don't see what is wrong with saying that.

On the plus side he is outstanding defensively in his attitude, his athleticism, his ability and the more he plays and the more experience he gains he may well become outstanding in his mentality and intelligence. For this reason, given the qualities he has I can see him becoming a holding midfielder and potentially a very, very good one.

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2019, 10:35:46 AM »
Just need to let him develop. Been doing really well, started well but much like the English press there is no need to absolutely blow out of proportion and then when he has a bad game or 2 (which he will) shoot him down.

Looks promising though :D
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2019, 03:00:56 PM »
Another excellent performance.
Must be a fierce competition between him and Furlong at right back when Gibbs and Townsend return from injury.
The PRIDE of midlands

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2019, 03:04:47 PM »
Hope they get him signed up an a long term contract.There is something "special" about this lad.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2019, 03:06:10 PM »
Another excellent performance.
Must be a fierce competition between him and Furlong at right back when Gibbs and Townsend return from injury.

Ferguson has to remain at LB for now. Far more superior defensively than either Gibbs or Townsend.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2019, 03:19:34 PM »
Ferguson has to remain at LB for now. Far more superior defensively than either Gibbs or Townsend.

Agreed, we do now have healthy competition for places all over the pitch.

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2019, 04:16:35 PM »
I’ve got to say, even taking away all offensive elements to his play, first and foremost his defending (his box, crosses, one-on-ones) absolutely superbly.

New deal please!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 07:52:39 PM by CL3MO »

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2019, 04:25:19 PM »
I’ve got to say, even taking away all offensive elements to his play, first and foremost he’s defending (his box, crosses, one-on-ones) absolutely superbly.

New deal please!

I am actually thinking that we will be lucky to keep hold of him to be honest, he is a class act for an 18 year old.
MAGA!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2019, 05:29:33 PM »
Top player for an 18 year old, hopefully he stays on.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2019, 05:31:54 PM »
Needs tying down or one of the big boys will come in with an offer he can't refuse sadly.

Gibbs ain't getting his place back for a while
O Albion we love you

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2019, 06:07:36 PM »
Fantastic player, and credit to Bilic for playing him too.

I've just thought, his celebration was for "Fergie time" which he tweets etc.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2019, 06:40:17 PM »
I am actually thinking that we will be lucky to keep hold of him to be honest, he is a class act for an 18 year old.

Yep me too.
Lets just enjoy his time here
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2019, 07:55:39 PM »
His flexibility means we should never have to see Townsend in an Albion shirt again.

MICKYMEL

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2019, 07:58:47 PM »
Outstanding so far and he’s Albion fan is he ???

If so you would hope this swings it in terms of signing new contract
Whenever we are playing badly, just remember -
Paul Chrichton,Neil Parsley, Andy Mcdermott, Scott Darton, Winston White,Mark Angel, Fabian DeFreitas, Paul Williams......now, do you feel better?

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2019, 08:05:47 PM »
Outstanding prospect, lovely lad, loves the Albion, he's going nowhere.................got that Mr Jenkins?
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride