Author Topic: Chris Brunt  (Read 760583 times)

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

Re: Chris Brunt
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2011, 08:01:12 AM »
He looked ok, but not his best.

He helped the team out when needed just wasnt his usual effect self going forward.

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2011, 10:39:12 AM »
Give the bloke a break - rest him

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2011, 10:55:17 AM »
I think some of the comments about tonights performance are a bit unfair. Ok not too much came off for him but I thought his commitment (like everyone elses was very good, he harried, worked hard and tackled. The early season flair has gone somewhat but a much better overall performance than in the last few matches. I really dont understand why we always need a scapegoat. Is this something that happens at every club?

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2011, 12:40:43 PM »
I don't see him being made a scapegoat anywhere. I feel for the bloke.

He is not good enough or strong enough to play centre midfield, he bottles 50/50's and looks lost unless the opposition give him the freedom of the park which in this league he won't get.

He is a winger and is one of the best around so why the persistance to take that away from him ?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2011, 12:45:29 PM »
I don't see him being made a scapegoat anywhere. I feel for the bloke.

He is not good enough or strong enough to play centre midfield, he bottles 50/50's and looks lost unless the opposition give him the freedom of the park which in this league he won't get.

He is a winger and is one of the best around so why the persistance to take that away from him ?

Totally agree. I for one thought he could be very affective in the middle... I was wrong. He is is shocking at tackling, and seems lost. but he is a fantastic winger on either side and thats where he needs to play. He is on 9 yellows after last night, however am I right in thinking that the amnesty on yellow cards was today?

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2011, 12:52:02 PM »
I thought he worked hard last night but nothing really went for him in an attacking sense.

He'll technically start on the right of midfield but because hes left footed he'll naturally cut inside.  Hodgson emplyed the same tactic with Damien Duff. 

With Thomas the same on the left hand side being right footed, we lack width but thats provided by our fullbacks.

The formation gives us numbers in the middle and makes us solid in there especially with Mulumbu and Scharner.

Still think thats the best formation for us to play.  4-2-3-1.

Nocky

• WBA Coach

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2011, 01:09:51 PM »
I thought we looked better last night when Thomas switched to the right and Brunt to the left tbh.

IMO, with the seeming return to 4231 and Vela’s emergence I think we need to sacrifice either Brunt or Thomas on one of the wings.

Thomas has been quiet in the last two games but has been a consistent performer all season, whilst Brunt started the season superbly but has struggled for form of late. I would argue that Brunt is more likely to produce that bit of magic in a game but given that they’re such difference players it would ultimately come down to the type of player Roy would want to play. Vela on on one wing and Brunt/Thomas on the other is the way we need to go in though IMO.
"Champions aren't made in the gym. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision."

Muhammad Ali

BaggiesBen

« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2011, 01:30:24 PM »
IMO it seems like we are taking away his strengths. Put him on the wing and let him whip some crosses in because they can cause big problems for defenders

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2011, 01:33:07 PM »
If were going to play Fortune, we need to have Brunt on the left for crosses.
If were going to play Odemwingie, id give Brunt a rest and play Vela one side and Thomas the other, Brunt looks tired and though he needs a week to regain some passion and form.

Perrybarrbaggy

« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2011, 02:17:43 PM »
Brunt is NEVER a centre midfield

S.Reid is captain material, brunty finds it hard to motivate himself at times !

I prefer Brunt on the left, whipping in quality balls

On the right though, him cutting in and shooting is great

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2011, 05:34:10 PM »
I thought we looked better last night when Thomas switched to the right and Brunt to the left tbh.

IMO, with the seeming return to 4231 and Vela’s emergence I think we need to sacrifice either Brunt or Thomas on one of the wings.

Thomas has been quiet in the last two games but has been a consistent performer all season, whilst Brunt started the season superbly but has struggled for form of late. I would argue that Brunt is more likely to produce that bit of magic in a game but given that they’re such difference players it would ultimately come down to the type of player Roy would want to play. Vela on on one wing and Brunt/Thomas on the other is the way we need to go in though IMO.

Spot on about the switching wings. That is something we need to be doing on a regular basis to stop the defenders getting settled. Very effective tactic that is often neglected (it certainly was under RDM).

baggieboyjop

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2011, 05:35:36 PM »
Give the bloke a break - rest him

Agree totakky, this is the time to rest him, get him raring to go for the final push
I hate stoke, i hate newcastle more than i hate stoke, i hate andy carrol more than i hate newcastle, i hate v*lla more than i hate andy carrol but i hate the dingles most of all. Albion till i die

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2011, 05:41:13 PM »
He'll get a rest soon ,last night was his 9th booking 1 more and he gets 2 games off :)
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Stampsey01

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2011, 12:51:55 AM »
is it that obvious, who do you give it to?, big Jonas has already said he doesn't want it

Reid??
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2012, 08:23:02 PM »
Is he good enough for a top half EPL team?

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2012, 08:26:17 PM »
Not one that relies on quick counter-attacking movement from its wide players he isnt, no. He slows the game too much. IMHO.
He's a lad from the Wrenna

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2012, 08:27:40 PM »
I'm a Brunt fan, but he was utterly inept today.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

baggieheart

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2012, 08:28:47 PM »
I think he is a great player which doesn't suit current system. Neither does Long.

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2012, 08:30:23 PM »
SLOW, SLOW and SLOW.........................very poor today and the team looked back to it's lathargic self with him and the cumbersome Scharner in midfield. All the drive and pace had gone out of the team.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2012, 08:37:55 PM »
Brunt is an excellent midfielder but our current system just doesn't suit him. Midfield now looks disjointed, if they are supposed to be inter-changing then to have Scharner out wide and Brunt in the middle whilst trying to defend is pointless.

Our fast attacking side is brought to a standstill at times. I wouldn't write him off though as he does possess quality but I don't think we miss him as much as people try to make out at times.

Mike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2012, 08:44:11 PM »
Also a lot of questions to be asked of Shane Long..may struggle to fit into our 4-5-1 formation. 

FLETCH

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2012, 08:54:25 PM »
he is pants...... i wouldnt pick him!
yea i have done your mom..........so what!

maximus

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2012, 08:55:08 PM »
the reason thomas and pete works on either isde is they dont swap flanks, after 15mins today brunt and thomas swapped, then brunt went wandering in the middle which makes the 3 in the middle cover for him. he was all over the place and it affects the shape of the team. being the captain and good set piece taker will keep him in the team which i believe will hinder the way we played few games ago when it all the players seemed natural in there positions.

Nocky

• WBA Coach

« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2012, 08:55:33 PM »
Poor today but lets not forget this is only his second game after a very long lay off. I agree that he doesn't suit the fast, counter attacking 451 system that we have been playing in recent weeks. It requires pace out wide, something which Brunt simply doesn't have. Perhaps a move inside as part of a midfield 3 could work...
"Champions aren't made in the gym. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision."

Muhammad Ali

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2012, 08:59:02 PM »
Poor today but lets not forget this is only his second game after a very long lay off. I agree that he doesn't suit the fast, counter attacking 451 system that we have been playing in recent weeks. It requires pace out wide, something which Brunt simply doesn't have. Perhaps a move inside as part of a midfield 3 could work...

Is not and never will be a centre midfielder especially in the Prem, he does not have the stamina, discipline or work ethic for it. Yes he puts decent balls through at times (usually coming in from wide) but would I have him in the centre over any other player we have ? not at any time.