Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 718284 times)

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #925 on: March 30, 2019, 06:56:28 AM »
How many times have you watched a game and can not understand why the manager can not see what is obviously wrong or that the course of the game has changed?
Against the Blues it was obvious we had no width on the right side and Holgate did not get over the half way line till 35minutes.
I was telling everyone who would listen he should bring on Kanu.Sure enough at half time a coach was supervising an individual warm up for him ,he came on and immediately made a difference.
No way would DM have made such a change so early.
Shan is ticking all the right boxes for me and if this continues he should be appointed permanently.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #926 on: March 30, 2019, 07:02:39 AM »
I don't think he's the permanent answer, and I think he is savvy enough to know he isn't really ready for it right now, but he seems to have drawn the squad together well enough to give us a chance of promotion.  I would be looking for someone like Steven Reid to come in as assistant for the rest of this season.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #927 on: March 30, 2019, 07:22:24 AM »
Who ever we sign will needs to have a great contact list has he will need to more our less revamp the majority of the 1st team squad.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #928 on: March 30, 2019, 09:38:11 AM »
2 tonight

That wasn't one of the questions.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #929 on: March 30, 2019, 10:48:11 AM »
Who ever we sign will needs to have a great contact list has he will need to more our less revamp the majority of the 1st team squad.

Isn't that what Luke Dowling does?
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #930 on: March 30, 2019, 11:24:56 AM »
But they scored ZERO.

How many goals have we conceded in the 2 games he's been in charge? How many back to back clean sheets did DM have all season? It's not rocket science to see that Shan places more importance on the defensive side of things and that Moore was tactically inept.

I would expect any decent coach to place more emphasis on the defensive side of things. I seem to recall Graeme Jones describing Moore as on ‘ off the ball ‘ expert. Go figure .Shan was part of that coaching team so either he doesn’t have an opinion or no one was listening to him . It didn’t take Monk too much analysis to do us on set pieces albeit our defending in open play was marginally improved.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #931 on: March 30, 2019, 11:45:11 AM »
I hope Shan is kept on in some capacity by the club. He is nowhere near a manager at this level but i saw more passion on the touchline last night than i saw in 12 months from Moore.
If i were a betting man i would say we are waiting for Alex Neil in the summer.
At the moment he would be my choice.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #932 on: March 30, 2019, 11:55:41 AM »
Isn't that what Luke Dowling does?

Doesn't look likes he's doing a very good job of it  to me mukka

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #933 on: March 30, 2019, 08:30:22 PM »
Doesn't look likes he's doing a very good job of it  to me mukka

I'm quite pleased with the January player intake.

Not sure how much influence he has with the new manager decision, in terms of contracts.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #934 on: March 30, 2019, 08:54:29 PM »
James Shan puts himself in contention for West Brom job after third straight win but Preston boss Alex Neil remains the club's preferred choice

More speculation, as you would expect. My first choice is Jokanovic

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6867667/James-Shan-contention-West-Brom-job-Preston-boss-Alex-Neil-remains-preferred-choice.html
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #935 on: March 30, 2019, 09:00:28 PM »
I'm quite pleased with the January player intake.

Not sure how much influence he has with the new manager decision, in terms of contracts.

Looked good on paper bit little contribution so far, Holgate aside. The fact we've had to draft Brunty (not before time) and Edwards into the side speaks volumes about Johansen Murphy and Montero.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #936 on: March 30, 2019, 09:09:12 PM »
I hope Shan is kept on in some capacity by the club. He is nowhere near a manager at this level but i saw more passion on the touchline last night than i saw in 12 months from Moore.
If i were a betting man i would say we are waiting for Alex Neil in the summer.
At the moment he would be my choice.
Shows of passion mean sod all. Neil Lennon can run up and down the touchline - Neil Clement did that at Swansea - means nothing. I also hope Shan remains but I'd say the same about Moore also if he's out of work for a period.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #937 on: March 30, 2019, 09:14:56 PM »

Looked good on paper bit little contribution so far, Holgate aside. The fact we've had to draft Brunty (not before time) and Edwards into the side speaks volumes about Johansen Murphy and Montero.

Think it says more about the coach than the players, most people would default to a system & players that they felt comfortable with.
JS knows Brunt & Edwards well, Johansen & Montero less so, but I'm pretty sure Murphy made a contribution on Friday.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #938 on: March 30, 2019, 09:34:38 PM »
Think it says more about the coach than the players, most people would default to a system & players that they felt comfortable with.
JS knows Brunt & Edwards well, Johansen & Montero less so, but I'm pretty sure Murphy made a contribution on Friday.

Did Murphy even touch the ball after coming on?

Regards the manager, as I have said before, I would wait for Alex Neil, young and has shown he can turn a team around when they are in a bad spell.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #939 on: March 30, 2019, 11:16:26 PM »

I'd be very interested to hear what contribution Murphy made?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #940 on: March 31, 2019, 07:17:06 AM »
Did Murphy even touch the ball after coming on?

Regards the manager, as I have said before, I would wait for Alex Neil, young and has shown he can turn a team around when they are in a bad spell.

If Sheffield United miss out on promotion I’d rather we went for Chris Wilder

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #941 on: March 31, 2019, 08:51:16 AM »

I'd be very interested to hear what contribution Murphy made?

He replaced Edwards at 72 minutes, so on the pitch for 24 minutes, (25% of the game)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #942 on: March 31, 2019, 10:04:32 AM »
Murphy had 5 touches of the ball and won an aerial duel I know this not because I was at the game but because I just looked it up on a stats website so there you go.

To be honest I really don't think that makes an awful lot of difference as to whether we go with Shan for the rest of the season. Had Murphy come on had 6 touches of the ball and the 6th touch been a tap in for a 4th goal does that make Shan some sort of zen coaching master? Probably not.

I think we need the issue settled at least to the end of the season. I would hope that the club does whatever is going to do and make an announcement this coming week.     
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #943 on: March 31, 2019, 10:43:33 AM »
The way we started the game with Morison out wide was ludicrous and tells me that Shan isn’t the man. That’s not really a criticism of him I just think it’s entirely reasonable that he won’t be right for this appointment.

The style of football was pretty poor too. However a win is a win and he has kept us in it to an extent.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #944 on: March 31, 2019, 11:06:43 AM »
Murphy had 5 touches of the ball and won an aerial duel I know this not because I was at the game but because I just looked it up on a stats website so there you go.

To be honest I really don't think that makes an awful lot of difference as to whether we go with Shan for the rest of the season. Had Murphy come on had 6 touches of the ball and the 6th touch been a tap in for a 4th goal does that make Shan some sort of zen coaching master? Probably not.

I think we need the issue settled at least to the end of the season. I would hope that the club does whatever is going to do and make an announcement this coming week.   

One of the issues with this forum Stan, is you cannot easily follow conversations.

In response to a comment by Geoff that whoever comes in as Manager will have to have an extensive list of potential players, I commented that I was of the opinion that was Luke Dowling's responsibility.

The comment has since morphed into comments about Jacob Murphy.

Like you, I don't think it makes a lot of difference if we continue with JS or make an appointment between now & the end of the season. Personally, I would continue with JS because of the momentum he has built, up to now.
I don't however see JS as a long term solution, & depending on which division we're in next season, I would bring in an experienced manager to suit.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #945 on: March 31, 2019, 11:44:01 AM »
One of the issues with this forum Stan, is you cannot easily follow conversations.

In response to a comment by Geoff that whoever comes in as Manager will have to have an extensive list of potential players, I commented that I was of the opinion that was Luke Dowling's responsibility.

The comment has since morphed into comments about Jacob Murphy.

Like you, I don't think it makes a lot of difference if we continue with JS or make an appointment between now & the end of the season. Personally, I would continue with JS because of the momentum he has built, up to now.
I don't however see JS as a long term solution, & depending on which division we're in next season, I would bring in an experienced manager to suit.
We try to keep topics in the right order but at the end of the day its up to the poster to do that and not change the subject mid thread .
It's not a forum issue as such , I believe it comes from the likes of social media and as I say comes from the actual posters  . We have spent ages in the past with this issue but stood no chance due to sheer number of posters at times.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #946 on: March 31, 2019, 12:15:18 PM »
We try to keep topics in the right order but at the end of the day its up to the poster to do that and not change the subject mid thread .
It's not a forum issue as such , I believe it comes from the likes of social media and as I say comes from the actual posters  . We have spent ages in the past with this issue but stood no chance due to sheer number of posters at times.

I know it's not easy, I've approached the issue before with moderators, but sometimes it does lead to comments being made out of context to the original comment.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #947 on: March 31, 2019, 12:33:23 PM »
I know it's not easy, I've approached the issue before with moderators, but sometimes it does lead to comments being made out of context to the original comment.
We know you have John and we thank you for that but again as I recall there were no clear answers .
I actually believe compared to other Albion forums we keep this site in good order , there really is little more we can do .
If you have any clearer ideas this time please feel free to share them in the announcement section or via PM.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

we8seals

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #948 on: March 31, 2019, 12:46:31 PM »
He replaced Edwards at 72 minutes, so on the pitch for 24 minutes, (25% of the game)
Morrison was on for 50% of the game and contributed nothing - if we had taken him off at half time and not replaced him it would still have improved us!
Murphy made as much contribution as a traffic cone!
the most worrying thing about Friday was listening to Shan after game say taking off Morrison was not tactical but because "Jimmy was feeling his Hamstring" The second most worrying was bringing Murphy on - who is proving to be one of the worst players to wear the stripes in my view! (possibly harsh given some of what i have seen over last 50 years - but he is truly terrbile. Hopelessly lightweight, no bottle, not quite quick enough and not quite skillfull enough.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #949 on: March 31, 2019, 01:02:55 PM »
Sorry if I picked up the wrong point on the thread but the central point remains. Shan like any manager can only pick from what he's got. He does not have a left footed wide player other than Brunt (not the worst idea maybe) whatever side he puts out will always run into that central problem to say that one issue stops him being a good coach or fit to guide us through to the end of the season.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.