Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 724860 times)

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #650 on: March 19, 2019, 12:05:01 PM »
Thought SGM should have been kept on last season rather than employing the Pard'. However, he would not have the 100% backing of the support base. He didn't have 100% when he was employed as manager, he didn't have 100% as caretaker and he wouldn't have it were he to be re employed until the end of the season now. I absolutely 100% guarantee you that.

Maybe 100% is a slight exaggeration but you surely get the gist. Anyone who was at Wembley for Spurs away last season under Megson couldn't have failed to notice the significant passion and pride in the atmosphere in the away end that day, whether or not it was from 100% of our support or not, it was close enough and good enough for me! Yes, he should have been undoubtedly given the job last season, I firmly believe we would not have gone down. The other names being banded about in the likelihood of a temporary appointment leave me a little deflated to say the least, I just think the emotion and pride from a return of Megson would see us get over the winning line in the Play Offs, I don't think anyone else appointed would come close to creating that feeling.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #651 on: March 19, 2019, 12:15:05 PM »
Thought SGM should have been kept on last season rather than employing the Pard'. However, he would not have the 100% backing of the support base. He didn't have 100% when he was employed as manager, he didn't have 100% as caretaker and he wouldn't have it were he to be re employed until the end of the season now. I absolutely 100% guarantee you that.
I know what you are saying is correct Dan , but no manager will ever get 100% supporter backing. We have not had a manager since, nor will we, who was "adored" like SGM was when we pipped the Dingles though,and then, when not backed in the Prem and relegated, got us back again.
51 years a season ticket holder and I won't hear a word said against him.
Some of the potential manager's being mentioned on here. Words bloody fail me. I'll shut up on this subject now !   
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #652 on: March 19, 2019, 12:19:24 PM »
I just think the emotion and pride from a return of Megson would see us get over the winning line in the Play Offs, I don't think anyone else appointed would come close to creating that feeling.

It's not the fans, that the new HC needs to get onside, it's the existing staff & players.
If there is to be a short term appointment, it has to be on a "here to help" basis & there's no place for egos.
Not sure Megson has that ability.

At the end of the season, it's a rebuild exercise, so a whole new set of objectives.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #653 on: March 19, 2019, 12:30:31 PM »

It's not the fans, that the new HC needs to get onside, it's the existing staff & players.
If there is to be a short term appointment, it has to be on a "here to help" basis & there's no place for egos.
Not sure Megson has that ability.

At the end of the season, it's a rebuild exercise, so a whole new set of objectives.

That should equally (or even more so) apply to the playing staff! If there was one thing for sure, Megson would attempt to put an immediate stop to any particular clique of players who think they are running the show.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #654 on: March 19, 2019, 12:48:46 PM »
That should equally (or even more so) apply to the playing staff! If there was one thing for sure, Megson would attempt to put an immediate stop to any particular clique of players who think they are running the show.

Again, I'm not sure there are a clique of players who think they are running the show.

It's pretty apparent that DM/GJ were trying to impose a playing system on players who weren't comfortable with it.
JS has taken a more pragmatic view & operated a system to suit the players.

6 points from a possible 6, would suggest that JS took the right decision.

We still have a great chance of promotion, IMO it would put that chance at real risk, if we were to bring someone in to "take over".

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #655 on: March 19, 2019, 01:05:25 PM »
I think this appointment needs to be the 'hit the ground running' and play the 'pragmatic' way.  Its about results now.  Nothing more.  The players we currently have cannot play the way DM wanted to.  That was clear to see.

I'd go for Pearson and Shakespeare or Moyes with a view to getting us promoted.  If we do go up then they will be better suited to keeping us there.

If we fail to get promoted then appoint the likes of Neil, Monk or Jokanovic and get rid of the old guard and rebuild the team with a new style of play.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #656 on: March 19, 2019, 01:10:52 PM »
Hmmn Sir Gary.  I get the feeling he was out of sorts with the board.  He seemed to be an old fashion type of manager who likes to run the whole show himself.  For example, he had a scouting system which didn't admit of a role like Director of Football.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #657 on: March 19, 2019, 01:12:39 PM »
I think this appointment needs to be the 'hit the ground running' and play the 'pragmatic' way.  Its about results now.  Nothing more.  The players we currently have cannot play the way DM wanted to.  That was clear to see.

I'd go for Pearson and Shakespeare or Moyes with a view to getting us promoted.  If we do go up then they will be better suited to keeping us there.

If we fail to get promoted then appoint the likes of Neil, Monk or Jokanovic and get rid of the old guard and rebuild the team with a new style of play.

I think I am leaning towards this approach.

I cannot see that appointing Jokanovic at this point in the season will be of benefit.

If this bunch cannot play the way Moore wanted then they will struggle under SJ.

I think the back to basics and trying to get over the line is probably the best approach.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #658 on: March 19, 2019, 01:22:58 PM »
Hmmn Sir Gary.  I get the feeling he was out of sorts with the board.  He seemed to be an old fashion type of manager who likes to run the whole show himself.  For example, he had a scouting system which didn't admit of a role like Director of Football.
We are talking 8 matches.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #659 on: March 19, 2019, 01:59:27 PM »

I'd give them the gig for the rest of this season plus next season as well.
We weren't considered good enough for Moyes a few years ago when his stock was high. if he gets the job here we will only be a stepping stone until something better comes along.
Plus he's a sweaty sock  8)
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #660 on: March 19, 2019, 02:05:05 PM »
We are talking 8 matches.

I always got the impression you work FOR Gary Megson. IMO we want someone who will work WITH James Shan, the staff, & the players to get us over the line.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #661 on: March 19, 2019, 02:19:26 PM »

To be honest I had forgot about Pearson, that's a name I think the board will consider. That pairing could work well alongside Shan to see us over the line. You would say we are one foot in the playoffs at the moment and its more a case of going into the playoffs with momentum and then the knowhow to win the semis.

As much as Shan has done a good job, giving him the task of that is huge, at least alongside Pearson and Shakey, he's working with two guys who know the league, know the club and have a bit more experience.

Could work well.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #662 on: March 19, 2019, 02:34:23 PM »
Knowing the club is not a reason to employ someone, in fact where we are concerned it should be an active reason not to... This is hugely disappointing that it's even rumoured; we need a completely fresh start.

Just go and get Slavisa Jokanovic.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #663 on: March 19, 2019, 02:55:41 PM »
Maybe 100% is a slight exaggeration but you surely get the gist. Anyone who was at Wembley for Spurs away last season under Megson couldn't have failed to notice the significant passion and pride in the atmosphere in the away end that day, whether or not it was from 100% of our support or not, it was close enough and good enough for me! Yes, he should have been undoubtedly given the job last season, I firmly believe we would not have gone down. The other names being banded about in the likelihood of a temporary appointment leave me a little deflated to say the least, I just think the emotion and pride from a return of Megson would see us get over the winning line in the Play Offs, I don't think anyone else appointed would come close to creating that feeling.

Oh I absolutely get the gist and yes I was there too. The noise we made that day was great, as was the time spent in the Green Man before and after the match too. Such a pity we didn't take all three points. However, at times like this I'm always reminded of the following............

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all the people all of the time” (Poet John Lydgate as made famous by Abraham Lincoln)

............ in truth though I can't help but think that when it comes to all things Albion the 'you can please all of the people some of the time' could be replaced with 'there's always a few never happy with anybodies' too  ;D .
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 02:57:45 PM by SmethDan »
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #664 on: March 19, 2019, 02:57:07 PM »
Heard we aren't even after Neil but are seriously considering Appleton.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #665 on: March 19, 2019, 03:13:25 PM »

Not surprising as Preston would look for a large amount of compensation that i can't see the club will pay.

wbatillidie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #666 on: March 19, 2019, 03:18:18 PM »

Odds for Appleton 25/1 with betvictor, worth a go
"You'll never get past Claudio"

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #667 on: March 19, 2019, 03:44:55 PM »
Appleton?? Oh lordy the board never learn.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #668 on: March 19, 2019, 04:22:20 PM »
It's going to be Jokanovic. I reckon we'll be hearing something tomorrow or Thursday. I can't see us paying compensation when the outstanding realistic candidate is a free agent. I would be shocked if we risk leaving the team in untested hands with so much at stake.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #669 on: March 19, 2019, 04:23:10 PM »
I’d love it if we appointed another black manager. Shove it up Durham. Kluivert!

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #670 on: March 19, 2019, 04:29:08 PM »
I’d love it if we appointed another black manager. Shove it up Durham. Kluivert!

someone like Ruud Gullet you mean
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 04:48:50 PM by OldburyWBA »

BAGGIE5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #671 on: March 19, 2019, 05:05:35 PM »

Not surprised, this rumour will just get stronger with inactivity.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #672 on: March 19, 2019, 05:52:48 PM »
Given our Scrooge like track record with appointing managers, I could never see us paying compensation for another clubs manager, so I never considered Neal was a runner personally.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 05:56:41 PM by AlbionFan »
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

mr multivac

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #673 on: March 19, 2019, 05:54:03 PM »
It goes from bad to worse if the whole point of sacking big Dave
Was to increase our chances of winning the play offs and getting
Back to the big bucks why are we not offering a top available manager
A short contract on a basic salary and a massive bonus to get us back to the
Prem ,it’s win win then if we don’t go up we
Don’t pay the bonus and can re-evaluate for next year  the man in charge
Has not made the bonus but as earned some dosh
And walks away and takes his chances on being
Re employed with same chance as if he takes us up

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #674 on: March 19, 2019, 06:23:59 PM »
I’m surprised a manager like Alexander Zorniger hasn’t been connected, German (popular choice at the moment) who has European experience and had great successes at Brøndby and Leipzig while having the failure of Stuttgart to push his valuation down to our bracket. Strong willed but attack minded with players like Timo Pukki succeeding under his management. He’s also a free agent right now.