Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 718053 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #625 on: March 19, 2019, 12:35:54 AM »
Blues had literally no money to spend. Swansea had some money to spend and a better team to begin with.

It got somewhat worse for them in January but by then it was clear they weren't going up anyway.

Bristol City had their star striker, centre back, and left back all sold off. Spent 2.5m in the summer. Swansea losing players and not getting huge funds to replace them isn't unique by championship standards. Potter is doing nothing that the likes of Johnson, Monk, Neil and Adkins aren't doing elsewhere. And Wilder is doing better than them all.

Now go and have a look at every passing stat for the entire league.

What were your thoughts on Farke last season?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #626 on: March 19, 2019, 12:40:43 AM »

Now go and have a look at every passing stat for the entire league.

What were your thoughts on Farke last season?

We used to have the same stats when Mowbray was here and the fundamental flaws in his management meant he's never progressed beyond a championship manager.

Given Potter won't be given a big pot of money to rebuild like Mowbray was I'd suggest he'll run into the same problems without the glory. The fact is they have nice passing stats and were also their own worst enemy against us for it.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 12:43:51 AM by Dan »

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #627 on: March 19, 2019, 12:43:26 AM »
We used to have the same stats when Mowbray was here and the fundamental flaws in his management meant he's never progressed beyond a championship manager.

Given Potter won't be given a big pot of money to rebuild like Mowbray was I'd suggest he'll run into the same problems. Any team that struggles to defend set pieces like Swansea do is always going to be up against it in this league. One of those fundamental flaws that separates out managers.

We'll agree to disagree. Mowbray gave us the best football since Ossie and at a higher level. Not sure why you're talking about anything other than Championship as Monk has failed in his only Premier League job.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #628 on: March 19, 2019, 05:46:42 AM »
To be sat here seemingly no closer to having a manager is outrageous. What would the board have done if we had lost the last two games. What a mess.

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #629 on: March 19, 2019, 07:40:56 AM »
I’ve read as many stories as possible and it all points to Appleton as the longer it goes on the more likely we’re going to go for a short term fix.

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #630 on: March 19, 2019, 08:01:03 AM »
I am a little confused. Jenkins statement on sacking Moore more or less stated he had failed in his objective to get us into the top 2 and promotion was imperative. Do the board really think Shan, Appleton short term etc are going to get us over the line. They are now saying they aren't sure what division we are going to be in next season so are hesitant on a long term appointment at this stage. Was it a case of they just wanted Moore out at all costs and thought anyone but him would stand a better chance of giving us success this season?

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #631 on: March 19, 2019, 08:10:02 AM »

We'll agree to disagree. Mowbray gave us the best football since Ossie and at a higher level. Not sure why you're talking about anything other than Championship as Monk has failed in his only Premier League job.
It's finding that balance isn't it ? , apart from Roy and for a brief spell under Clarke we've been too negative / dull or far too open Mowbray / DM and Jones .
Must admit I admire what Potter has done in his career so far but watching Swansea the other night screamed of Mowbray at his worst defending wise.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #632 on: March 19, 2019, 08:16:51 AM »
To be sat here seemingly no closer to having a manager is outrageous. What would the board have done if we had lost the last two games. What a mess.
I have no proof but I'd wager the situation goes back to Jones one way or the other , scrapping his system and methods appears to have lead to 6 points and 2 clean sheets. It could be Dowling is more of a football man than we know and he had a major say in the sacking.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #633 on: March 19, 2019, 09:07:01 AM »
I can really see it being Appleton/Shakespeare (or both) alongside Shan until end of season.

It's too risky to have a new manager coming in now and changing the way we play again. If we had brought someone in when DM was sacked, they could have kept Shan involved for Swansea and Brentford to get an understanding of the team, and used the international break to make slight tweaks in how we play.

The one thing the club need to ensure is that whatever happens, we keep Shan on in some capacity. Whether that be first team coach, or back to his previous role. He's been an integral part of our academy for years and part of our 'DNA'. He knows our youth players better than even DM did, and is the link between the academy and first team.

Back on topic, I think we will 99% go down the temporary boss route and reassess in the summer dependant on what league we are in. The major issue is as others have said, if the temporary boss gets us promoted, how do you not give them a chance in the premier league...

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #634 on: March 19, 2019, 09:50:36 AM »
I can really see it being Appleton/Shakespeare (or both) alongside Shan until end of season.  ...
 The major issue is as others have said, if the temporary boss gets us promoted, how do you not give them a chance in the premier league.

If they go down that route, it will be an permanent appointment with a contract to the end of the season.

At that point the board will make a decision on a longer term contract, where the person appointed would be considered, along with other candidates.

As others have said, whatever division we're in next season, it's a pretty major rebuilding job, so it makes sense to keep our options open.

Pretty much what Man U have done with OGS.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #635 on: March 19, 2019, 09:59:50 AM »
We do Not want Appleton or Shakespeare here at all whether that is temporary or permanent. no way.

very disappointing because we have won the last 2 they no longer seem in a rush when in fact we are. Never rated DM but why sack him if we had no replacement lined up?

dont understand this about depends what division we are in. Jokanovic has managed in both divisions and if we fail in the play offs, we have to back him to try and get us up next season.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #636 on: March 19, 2019, 10:12:50 AM »
We do Not want Appleton or Shakespeare here at all whether that is temporary or permanent. no way.

very disappointing because we have won the last 2 they no longer seem in a rush when in fact we are. Never rated DM but why sack him if we had no replacement lined up?

dont understand this about depends what division we are in. Jokanovic has managed in both divisions and if we fail in the play offs, we have to back him to try and get us up next season.
Can understand your view on Appleton but I wouldn't be against Shakespeare , take away the previous with us and he's moved on to be a highly respected coach in the game . I'd prefer SJ over them all though .

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #637 on: March 19, 2019, 10:27:50 AM »
Can understand your view on Appleton but I wouldn't be against Shakespeare , take away the previous with us and he's moved on to be a highly respected coach in the game . I'd prefer SJ over them all though .

yes i know what you mean but even shakespeare has only managed what was it 6 months? but yes would rather have him over appleton.

i just dont know why we dont appoint Jokanovic with Shan alongside until the end of the season and then next year if we fail to go up we try to back him as much as possible to try and get promoted again.

there will be funds next year despite us having to balance the books a bit more. the sale of Rondon will be coming into the club, along with other players that wish to jump ship or we offload.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #638 on: March 19, 2019, 10:39:45 AM »
yes i know what you mean but even shakespeare has only managed what was it 6 months? but yes would rather have him over appleton.

i just dont know why we dont appoint Jokanovic with Shan alongside until the end of the season and then next year if we fail to go up we try to back him as much as possible to try and get promoted again.

there will be funds next year despite us having to balance the books a bit more. the sale of Rondon will be coming into the club, along with other players that wish to jump ship or we offload.
Shakespeare wouldn't be the manager though , he'd be a help to Shan I'd imagine .
Suspect it's the same old thing with SJ , money !

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #639 on: March 19, 2019, 11:08:56 AM »
Shakespeare wouldn't be the manager though , he'd be a help to Shan I'd imagine .
Suspect it's the same old thing with SJ , money !

Another twist in our saga.
Shakey and Appleton?
It's a no from me  :(

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/west-brom-fans-must-surely-be-livid-as-managerial-search-takes-a-twist/
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #640 on: March 19, 2019, 11:18:03 AM »
Another twist in our saga.
Shakey and Appleton?
It's a no from me  :(

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/west-brom-fans-must-surely-be-livid-as-managerial-search-takes-a-twist/
If they are considering bringing either of those two in to support Shan, then forget it! give SGM a call ,been there, seen that, done that.
Jenkins of course will not do that , not savvy enough.
I do understand the issue of not knowing which division we will be in next season, and the effect on the permanent position, and I am not suggesting Gary come back in that role , but if they are seriously considering Shakey or Appleton , then frankly they are not fit to lace SGM's boots
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #641 on: March 19, 2019, 11:22:50 AM »
If they are considering bringing either of those two in to support Shan, then forget it! give SGM a call ,been there, seen that, done that.
I do understand the issue of not knowing which division we will be in next season, and the effect on the permanent position, and I am not suggesting Gary come back in that role , but if they are seriously considering Shakey or Appleton , then frankly they are not fit to lace SGM's boots

which begs the question why didn't they leave Darren Moore in position until the end of the season?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #642 on: March 19, 2019, 11:36:33 AM »

I was saying exactly the same thing at Brentford on Saturday, for me he ticks all the boxes if we are looking for someone to come in until the end of the season. He will have the 100% backing of the fans, the pride and passion will return and I for one will have a tear in my eye should Sir Gary be leading us out in the Play Off final at Wembley in May and just imagine what it would be like if he completes the hat trick of promotions. As you say though mate, I doubt the club will be savvy enough.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #643 on: March 19, 2019, 11:40:47 AM »
which begs the question why didn't they leave Darren Moore in position until the end of the season?
Because Jones and Darren were out of favour with management , majority of supporters, and PLAYERS.
Once again Brunt and Morrison think they are running the show. I went to Brentford and watched them both very carefully.
I personally, sincerely hope ,that whatever the rest of the season brings, that those two are no longer part of the future.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #644 on: March 19, 2019, 11:41:46 AM »

Because Moore and Jones were clueless. Anyone else would have been better, Shan is already proving that point.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #645 on: March 19, 2019, 11:43:47 AM »
I was saying exactly the same thing at Brentford on Saturday, for me he ticks all the boxes if we are looking for someone to come in until the end of the season. He will have the 100% backing of the fans, the pride and passion will return and I for one will have a tear in my eye should Sir Gary be leading us out in the Play Off final at Wembley in May and just imagine what it would be like if he completes the hat trick of promotions. As you say though mate, I doubt the club will be savvy enough.
They should have kept him last season mate, instead of bringing Pardew in, and we would still be in the Prem. Jenkins not big enough to swallow his pride for the sake of the club though

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #646 on: March 19, 2019, 11:48:56 AM »

Because Moore and Jones were clueless. Anyone else would have been better, Shan is already proving that point.

Pulis and Pardew didn’t. You could probably add Garry Rowett to that list as he had more money at his disposal and a premier league squad and didn’t do anything with them. Steve Bruce didn’t get Villa back up with more resources...Maybe not anyone...

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #647 on: March 19, 2019, 11:50:13 AM »

Thought SGM should have been kept on last season rather than employing the Pard'. However, he would not have the 100% backing of the support base. He didn't have 100% when he was employed as manager, he didn't have 100% as caretaker and he wouldn't have it were he to be re employed until the end of the season now. I absolutely 100% guarantee you that.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #648 on: March 19, 2019, 11:59:20 AM »
Pulis and Pardew didn’t. You could probably add Garry Rowett to that list as he had more money at his disposal and a premier league squad and didn’t do anything with them. Steve Bruce didn’t get Villa back up with more resources...Maybe not anyone...

Pulis had expired well before his sacking and Pardew should never have been given the job. I felt Moore deserved a chance due to the end of last year but quickly became apparent he was no manager, we just got all sentimental and stuck with him out of blind loyalty which could really cost us now. Our board are utterly inept.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #649 on: March 19, 2019, 12:00:19 PM »
Thought SGM should have been kept on last season rather than employing the Pard'. However, he would not have the 100% backing of the support base. He didn't have 100% when he was employed as manager, he didn't have 100% as caretaker and he wouldn't have it were he to be re employed until the end of the season now. I absolutely 100% guarantee you that.

100% agreed. Not sticking with GM was yet another terrible decision.