Author Topic: What do you want changed?  (Read 8611 times)

KN22

• Senior Baggie

Re: What do you want changed?
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2019, 06:36:52 PM »
Stop faffing about at the back. Then we can judge our much maligned goalkeeper

Don’t play Adarabioyo unless we have to. That includes centre back, just check out his passing

Never play Livermore and Barry in same team

Find out how to get Johansen back to how he was at Fulham... maybe the ex Fulham manager can help?!?

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2019, 06:48:03 PM »
I think we are limited to what we can change with the squad and type of players we have.

Us Albion fans suffered three years of anti football under Pulis which for the first two seasons was effective.

For the first few months of this season we were trying to implement a new passing based style which fans wanted, we had decent results especially at home but by the end of October teams had sussed us out and we had started to come unstuck.

We then changed to a more counter attack of 4-3-3 and that got results, again teams wised up against us, especially at home and what we should of done was have a variation for how we played, horses for courses and all that but instead we tried to persist with it regardless.

The key to both those formations and styles was who was available and at times, when we didnt have key players available which made those formations and styles work, we persisted anyway, again i think that is a mistake of a rookie coach but given time you hope he would learn.

Things like playing out from the back, only the players know the instructions, but if you want to play passing football, defenders also have to be part of that, you cant just hoof it and say we will play football in the final 3rd as you soon get sussed out.

There comes a point where the player has to use their common sense and decision making for themselves when to pass it and when to clear the lines, we seem to overdo the passing and we will see in the future if that is a coaching thing or if the players just doesnt make good decisions.

We have scored plenty of goals but at times the football has been quite pedestrian but again i think that is more down to the type of players we have than anything else. Out the teams above us both Leeds and Norwich have younger, hungrier and energetic squads that can play a more dynamic way of football. (Sheffield Uniteds team is different but they have a unique style which has been developed over a few years and they have a winning mentality after being promoted and having a decent season last year)

We dont have the players to play dynamic and energetic football, The spine of our team, Defenders - Dawson, Bartley and Hegazi are carthorses at this level, Midfielders - Barry, Brunt, Livermore, Hoolahan, Morrison and Field dont have a turn of pace between them, Johansen seems to fall into that catergory too though may be too early to judge. This doesnt make them bad players as most are good footballers but they are not young fit energetic players and most never have been, the problem we have is we seem to have is we have a lot of the same type of player, again maybe that was one of Moores mistakes, sticking with that type of player instead of revamping it in the summer.

In the spine of our team, there is only Harper a 19 year old kid who has played less than 10 games and Phillips who has numerous injury problems who have had any pace and energy in our centre midfield, but the championship is played at 100mph, even teams at the bottom of the league play with more tempo than us because we dont have the players to play that.

We have to find a system and style suited to what we have, the problem with that is that there are high expectations from the fans and you only have to see at home games how people get frustrated when we do play a slow tempo, we then panic and tend to force things which often leads to nothing.

We have pace at full back and out wide but any team worth their salt forces us to play inside because they know we dont have any legs to break from defence or midfield.

Tosin at left back was a one off painful lesson learnt, the Brunt in centre midfield experiment was changed within a few months. If Gayle is playing we do need to get him down the middle as without Barnes the 3 forwards changing over doesnt work, other than that i dont think the new coach can do much different because we dont have players who can play another way, it will be minor tweaks but the key will be whether the minor tweaks make that much of a difference.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2019, 07:28:35 PM »
An owner who cares about OUR club!

P Anderson

• Site Donator
  • Junior Baggie

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2019, 07:42:48 PM »
Number 1.  Play Gayle through the centre
Number 2.  Play Tosin at CH NEVER at fullback.
Number 3.  Thank CBrunt / JMorrison / GBarry / WHoolahan / KBartley / HRKanu / BMyhill (is Mears still around? If yes add him) for their services and wish them well in the future.
Number 4.  Tell Craig Dawson / J.Livermore and J Rodriguez that any acceptable offer will be considered VERY seriously
Number 5.  Tell A. Hegazi / K.Gibbs / M.Phillips that they are key to the future of the club and we want to build a young, dynamic side around them
Number 6.  Ask Everton if we can sign M.Holgate to add to the others in Number 5.
Number 7.  Tell Gayle / Montero / Murphy / Johansen that there may be a role for them, but we are taking into account age (DG) / fitness / attitude etc into account and if not exemplary we will not pursue any loan extension / contract negotiations
Number 8.  Tell ALL the kids that they have a chance to grab a place and a career next season, its all in their hands

I think that will do for now.

This for me 100% and a lot mor movement throughout the teams play, on and off the ball, as we have been truly shocking this season, in this aspect.
Submariners go deeper

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2019, 04:52:26 AM »
I have given up in disgust. Nothing will change until we are rid of Lai.

LAI OUT!
  :D Fully agree with this one....Lai sell up.... and get rid of the board...problem solved ;D

webral

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2019, 11:38:19 AM »
Leadership has been awful from Lai who hasn't even had the decency to address the fans since relegation. We can thank Peace for lining his greedy stay away pockets and starting the rot and then selling to Lai and recommending Williams.
Darren Moore had a unifying effect around the club but now he's gone, it's going to be difficult to replicate. Many fans feel alienated by the money men running our club and their poor decisions. Why not give Moore until the international break if there's no one lined up? He deserved a chance to complete the season at least even though I fear we would have slipped away. I assumed someone would have been lined up, have a chance to assess the squad in the remaining games and make the necessary changes in the summer but it looks like the clowns don't have a plan yet again.

I'd like Lai to sell up and an influx of young hungry players who want to be here. Get rid of the Pulis era deadwood and reboot whatever division we're in.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2019, 12:33:31 AM »
Well things certainly changed with Shan tonight. We pressed high up and we didn't keep playing short. Good to see Gayle in a more central role.

baggieboyfred

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2019, 12:38:50 AM »
most of the squad next season please

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2019, 12:45:54 AM »
Well things certainly changed with Shan tonight. We pressed high up and we didn't keep playing short. Good to see Gayle in a more central role.

We didn't. We played a five man midfield, retreated and allowed them possession at the back. We played very much like the away side. We're all happy tonight and relieved that we got a win at home at long last but too many of that type of performance and people will start moaning again and rightly so. I do not like that type of football at home. Away yes, fine, but not at home. We had this under Pulis.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2019, 12:59:39 PM »
most of the squad next season please

We're not going to have much choice about that one mate.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2019, 01:23:36 PM »

We didn't. We played a five man midfield, retreated and allowed them possession at the back. We played very much like the away side. We're all happy tonight and relieved that we got a win at home at long last but too many of that type of performance and people will start moaning again and rightly so. I do not like that type of football at home. Away yes, fine, but not at home. We had this under Pulis.

When their defence has the ball and we close them down, that's pressing high up the field. We didn't sit back with two rows of players 5 yards apart on our own 18 yd box and wait for them to attack, like we've been doing under DM. Plenty of times Livermore, Jrod and Gayle chased the ball down which forced Swansea to either pass back to their GK or hoof a ball long. I agree we had 5 in midfield at times when we lost possession, but the main time this was noticed was at the start of the second half when Swansea came out to try and control the game, which you'd expect any team who are trailing to do.

And IMO this football is absolutely nothing like under Pulis. We pressed on to score more goals, we didn't sit back and defend the 1 goal.

Another thing I noticed was we were challenging and winning more aerial balls than under DM. Positives all round.