Author Topic: Darren Moore  (Read 844299 times)

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Darren Moore
« Reply #2500 on: January 03, 2019, 02:07:07 PM »
If we mark it on squads then hes doing a great job in my opinion. Whilst we have a handful of players who could play in the premier league, we also have a handful of championship players.

I would say Stoke and Villa arguably have better squads, with the likes of Boro being on a par with us.

Stoke were many pundits favourites to run away with this league, and Rowett was a manager a fair few baggies fans wanted, we are doing much better than them.
You can add Forest to the better squad list too , great mix of young talent , older heads and stylish players .
For me our first 11 match anybody , the squad however is far from it.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2501 on: January 03, 2019, 04:16:35 PM »
So why has Moore seen fit to give Bartley 1500 mins with mistake after mistake?

Similarly, Brunt whilst not as bad as Bartley  has ruined the midfield's effectiveness, limiting goal scoring chances.

This can be sought from the training ground.  Even if they had a short run in matches Moore didn't pick up on it.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2502 on: January 03, 2019, 04:32:18 PM »
So why has Moore seen fit to give Bartley 1500 mins with mistake after mistake?

Similarly, Brunt whilst not as bad as Bartley  has ruined the midfield's effectiveness, limiting goal scoring chances.

This can be sought from the training ground.  Even if they had a short run in matches Moore didn't pick up on it.
Mistake after mistake is stretching it plus he isn't going to sign someone and ditch him 3 games in , lets not forget Dawson was nowhere to be seen for a long spell and by several accounts Hegazi wanted out too .
Brunt wouldn't my choice in the middle  yet without him coming on against Villa that equaliser doesn't happen.
As I've said to you before if you expect a rookie manager to have all the answers from day one I think you will be asking too much , this isn't Football Manager , Fifa 1 to 19 or Subbuteo.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2503 on: January 03, 2019, 05:18:42 PM »
You just make excuses for him.

Our strongest spell was prior to Xmas including wins over Sheff U and Leeds which yielded over 2pts per game.

We are better than all the other teams on the basis that Moore selects the best team match after match.  Can ee trust him to do it until May?

I don't want to hear anyone talking up other teams it's just nonsense.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2504 on: January 03, 2019, 06:44:05 PM »

Our strongest spell was prior to Xmas including wins over Sheff U and Leeds which yielded over 2pts per game.

We are better than all the other teams on the basis that Moore selects the best team match after match.  Can ee trust him to do it until May?

One person's nonsense is another person's opinion.   We have a good first 11 but not  without weaknesses. 

For example, we have no right back but a fantastic attacking left back however he is still prone to defensive lapses,  we have an England international midfielder with a good engine but a VERY limited passing range, our best midfielder is 37 and our only AM is injury prone and been at the club a few years to long.  An in form Matty Phillips is a beast and can be unplayable but he does have real dips in form throughout a season, Jrod is a good attacker but not an instinctive finisher and Barnes could be heading back next week.   Johnstone is still learning his trade and struggles to come off his line and in front of him are the best CB pairing in the division who are still struggling to keep a clean sheet.   I like HRK for his energy but........

I agree that both Bartley and CM Brunty should NOT have had the game time but they are both the kind of experienced pros that most managers would try and lean on.

Despite this if we can get Gayle fit and bring in a few more additions of quality I think we can still go up top two.   Just my own opinion or bit of nonsense dependent on perspective.  COYB
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 06:50:55 PM by Oldbury24 »

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2505 on: January 03, 2019, 06:54:11 PM »
One person's nonsense is another person's opinion.   We have a good first 11 but not  without weaknesses. 

For example, we have no right back but a fantastic attacking left back however he is still prone to defensive lapses,  we have an England international midfielder with a good engine but a VERY limited passing range, our best midfielder is 37 and our only AM is injury prone and been at the club a few years to long.  An in form Matty Phillips is a beast and can be unplayable but he does have real dips in form throughout a season, Jrod is a good attacker but not an instinctive finisher and Barnes could be heading back next week.   Johnstone is still learning his trade and struggles to come off his line and in front of him are the best CB pairing in the division who are still struggling to keep a clean sheet.   I like HRK for his energy but........

Despite this if we can get Gayle fit and bring in a few more additions of quality I think we can still go up top two.   Just my own opinion or bit of nonsense dependent on perspective.  COYB

Thanks for your input but quite frankly your text doesn't enlighten me one bit.  I've been watching Albion since 1981.

I can see the shortcomings/weaknesses in our side, if they weren't there we'd be looking at an almost invincible team banking well over 100pts.  Don't you think that the fans of the other contenders can pick upon their weaknesses also?

All I'm referring to is the evidence in front of me which spells out that if we play our best team (along with the weaker parts) then no other team can match us!  So over to Big Dave to identify his best team, stick with it, and the points total and league position will look after itself.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2506 on: January 03, 2019, 06:57:17 PM »
Thanks for your input but quite frankly your text doesn't enlighten me one bit.  I've been watching Albion since 1981.

I can see the shortcomings/weaknesses in our side, if they weren't there we'd be looking at an almost invincible team banking well over 100pts.  Don't you think that the fans of the other contenders can pick upon their weaknesses also?

All I'm referring to is the evidence in front of me which spells out that if we play our best team (along with the weaker parts) then no other team can match us!  So over to Big Dave to identify his best team, stick with it, and the points total and league position will look after itself.

He knows his best team, but he can't stick with it for a 50 match season, no team could. This entire diatribe from yourself over the last few posts has been utterly pointless.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2507 on: January 03, 2019, 07:37:42 PM »

The evidence put In front of me this year (as a ST holder) has suggested that we should be competing for a top two place yes.....but nothing I've seen has shown me that no other team should match us.  Our best eleven can really take the game to most teams but is not infallable, if you then take away two key players at either end like Gayle and Hegazi the weakneses mentioned above are more exposed. 

« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 07:44:48 PM by Oldbury24 »

johnnyg

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2508 on: January 03, 2019, 08:23:57 PM »

He knows his best team, but he can't stick with it for a 50 match season, no team could. This entire diatribe from yourself over the last few posts has been utterly pointless.

Jacko, as you know, I haven't always agreed with you, but you have nailed this one on the nose. Dead right and well said.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2509 on: January 03, 2019, 09:38:35 PM »

I don't make excuses for anybody , when I've seen fit I've posted on here the things I don't agree with that Darren has done so far . (3 at the back /Nyom for Mears / Jrod out of form yet plays each game and several more ) . However  I understand Moore's a novice , he will make mistakes and his squad is wafer thin .
Your constant reference to playing the best 11 every week despite age , injuries , form and the recent number of games is the only nonsense I've seen lately .

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2510 on: January 03, 2019, 09:40:50 PM »

Exactly what I've been saying this week , you can add that other than Brunt and possibly Sako there's very little on the bench of quality.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2511 on: January 03, 2019, 09:48:17 PM »

Your support of Brunt is absolutely pointless!  Shame you haven't got the balls to admit he is not the player he was.  Who is better Barry or Brunt in your opinion?

Moore had roughly a 12 game spell with Brunt and Bartley in the starting 11 and results were patchy.

You yourself have posted many a time we should be aiming for Top 2 and no less, which contrasts with the more conservative people on here who favour other teams squads over ours.

You also said it's critical we deliver promotion in 18/19 due to the potential loss of good players in Summer 19.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2512 on: January 03, 2019, 09:55:37 PM »
I don't make excuses for anybody , when I've seen fit I've posted on here the things I don't agree with that Darren has done so far . (3 at the back /Nyom for Mears / Jrod out of form yet plays each game and several more ) . However  I understand Moore's a novice , he will make mistakes and his squad is wafer thin .
Your constant reference to playing the best 11 every week despite age , injuries , form and the recent number of games is the only nonsense I've seen lately .

Why should he be a novice he's been involved in football donkey years and he's assessing the players week in week out.

He picked the same (best) team for the 9 games running to Sheff Wed, hey presto 2+ pts per game!  As I stated before there are simply no excuses now the busy period is over, pick your best team!

All hail Sheff Utd, Leeds and Norwich they have better players than us, we're the underdogs, lol.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2513 on: January 03, 2019, 10:03:41 PM »
Why should he be a novice he's been involved in football donkey years and he's assessing the players week in week out.

He picked the same (best) team for the 9 games running to Sheff Wed, hey presto 2+ pts per game!  As I stated before there are simply no excuses now the busy period is over, pick your best team!

All hail Sheff Utd, Leeds and Norwich they have better players than us, we're the underdogs, lol.
The blokes never had a management  role to my knowledge , not even under 23's . There's a huge difference between coaching roles and being the main man , of course he's a novice as a manager still.
Don't you think he'd want to pick his best players every game ? , do you think he'd want to lose Hegazi and Gayle ? He'll pick them when fit but as I and others on here have pointed out to you several times its a squad game now which once outside 11/13 players our quality drops a lot .
I've asked you twice , I'll ask you again...other than the ageing Brunt and at best rusty Sako who was there of any quality on that bench against Blackburn who could turn that game ?
Nobody is hailing the other teams , most can see we probably have the best 11 in the division but we do not have the best squad by a long way.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2514 on: January 03, 2019, 10:18:04 PM »
The blokes never had a management  role to my knowledge , not even under 23's . There's a huge difference between coaching roles and being the main man , of course he's a novice as a manager still.
Don't you think he'd want to pick his best players every game ? , do you think he'd want to lose Hegazi and Gayle ? He'll pick them when fit but as I and others on here have pointed out to you several times its a squad game now which once outside 11/13 players our quality drops a lot .
I've asked you twice , I'll ask you again...other than the ageing Brunt and at best rusty Sako who was there of any quality on that bench against Blackburn who could turn that game ?
Nobody is hailing the other teams , most can see we probably have the best 11 in the division but we do not have the best squad by a long way.

You are asking me about Blackburn (a).  That game roughly equates to 4% of total games (26) thus far.  We lost.  We also lost at home to Bolton in Game 1. 

For the very last time, we drifted along with the same personnel playing poorly until well into the Autumn and no attempts were made to swap it around and use the squad.  For instance Barry wasn't introduced until late on.  Dawson was experimented at RB to accommodate a bumbling Bartley.

In summary we have been playing catch-up for large parts of the season, when we could've garnered many more points earlier on and been leading from the front.

Anyhow, I haven't been exactly been hammering DM all season.  I'm getting concerned now as we approach the business end.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2515 on: January 03, 2019, 10:31:13 PM »
You are asking me about Blackburn (a).  That game roughly equates to 4% of total games (26) thus far.  We lost.  We also lost at home to Bolton in Game 1. 

For the very last time, we drifted along with the same personnel playing poorly until well into the Autumn and no attempts were made to swap it around and use the squad.  For instance Barry wasn't introduced until late on.  Dawson was experimented at RB to accommodate a bumbling Bartley.

In summary we have been playing catch-up for large parts of the season, when we could've garnered many more points earlier on and been leading from the front.

Anyhow, I haven't been exactly been hammering DM all season.  I'm getting concerned now as we approach the business end.
You spent the last few days telling us Moore should use his squad better hence why I ask you about the quality outside the first 11/13 players , still no answer or example of anybody.
You then preach about the first / best 11 should play every week as it leads to results buts thats impossible over both the season and the Christmas period .
Dawson came in late because he wanted out , refused to go Portugal and by all accounts sulked for a while so no I wouldn't be bending over backwards for him either even though I'm a fan , it was only the odd game at RB too before he became part of that back 3 .
I know it's far from perfect and I don't like the defending at all at times but Moore and Jones are trying to build something different from the last few years , that simply isn't going to happen in a matter of months and especially with a limited squad . I'd have to look into it but I have a feeling Barry was injured early season too although personally as well as he's played of late I'd sooner have built around somebody younger but that again goes back to the lack of Summer budget .

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2516 on: January 03, 2019, 10:34:01 PM »
Your support of Brunt is absolutely pointless!  Shame you haven't got the balls to admit he is not the player he was.  Who is better Barry or Brunt in your opinion?

Moore had roughly a 12 game spell with Brunt and Bartley in the starting 11 and results were patchy.

You yourself have posted many a time we should be aiming for Top 2 and no less, which contrasts with the more conservative people on here who favour other teams squads over ours.

You also said it's critical we deliver promotion in 18/19 due to the potential loss of good players in Summer 19.

Brunt and Bartley were being played due to players being unavailable due to injury/lack of match fitness/personal reasons/their future being in doubt in the window etc, nothing more. These reasons apply to Dawson, Morrison and Barry most notably. Moore also showed strong signs of wanting to strengthen both the RB and CM roles with the late bids for Dack and Tavernier (bids enabled by the late sale of Chadli) but unfortunately these did not come off.

Once Dawson was available and he felt Tosin (who had initially had a torrid time at RB against Forest, leading to the 3 at the back formation) was going to be comfortable at RB in the short term, Bartley was benched. Since both Barry and Morrison have been available we have seen less of Brunt. Brunt may have been injured initially when these two came in, but this was only short term and he has not started regularly since his return to fitness. If DM felt Brunt was the best option in the middle he would have started a number of recent games in succession, but he hasn't, because DM clearly doesn't believe he is.

The Holgate signing has already strengthened the team/squad and DM has stated they intend on signing a RB this month, so he sees the weakness in that area and has taken and is taking steps to rectifying it. He has also said he intends on signing a further attacking player (midfielder?) so it seems he sees the weakness in the squad in that area as well.

Everything that has happened so far this season tells me DM is more 'switched on' than many give him credit for and most of his decisions are quite explainable. I for one am as comfortable with him in charge than I have been at any time since his appointment and fancy him to take us to a top 2 finish this season.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2517 on: January 03, 2019, 10:45:40 PM »
Well there are less games on average per week now (especially if we exit FA Cup).

So we'll see what DM comes up with.....

If we sign players now I just don't see the point in scores of players reporting for training and not playing.  Get rid!

I still don't see why fans should water down expectations which some on here have done?

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2518 on: January 03, 2019, 10:50:13 PM »
Well there are less games on average per week now (especially if we exit FA Cup).

If we sign players now I just don't see the point in scores of players reporting for training and not playing.  Get rid!
I still don't see why fans should water down expectations which some on here have done?
Personally speaking and others have said it too when we lose a key player we have little to come in , that's my reason for keeping it in check . Suspect those youngsters yet to prove something will head out on loan if we get some quality in . Winning situation for all if they aren't ready for the first team.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2519 on: January 04, 2019, 12:02:25 AM »
Just speed read through the last few posts. While I haven't checked through previous line ups I think it's only fair to point out that from memory Craig Dawson hasn't played right back all season.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2520 on: January 04, 2019, 09:27:56 AM »

To be honest, your expectations and one-eyed criticism are hard to comprehend.
I don't know of a single staunch supporter of Moore, of which i'm one, who doesn't openly question his tactics, selections, subs etc. when required, but you seem to solely focus on his short comings without offering any recognition of his achievements.
No manager or squad is perfect, or capable of "walking" any division, even Pep and his millions are fallible at times.
What Moore has done in turning a bunch of hopeless relegation fodder, into genuine contenders, is truly commendable and, if you can't even begin to see that, then I fear you will never be happy.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2521 on: January 04, 2019, 10:37:06 AM »
To be honest, your expectations and one-eyed criticism are hard to comprehend.
I don't know of a single staunch supporter of Moore, of which i'm one, who doesn't openly question his tactics, selections, subs etc. when required, but you seem to solely focus on his short comings without offering any recognition of his achievements.
No manager or squad is perfect, or capable of "walking" any division, even Pep and his millions are fallible at times.
What Moore has done in turning a bunch of hopeless relegation fodder, into genuine contenders, is truly commendable and, if you can't even begin to see that, then I fear you will never be happy.

The gulf between the Premier League and Championship is large.  What is this grand achievement?  We are sitting 4th not Top with a 6pts advantage.  I've never said he's doing a poor job just think average.  If we lose Hegazi then we should maybe revise expectations?

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2522 on: January 05, 2019, 09:37:45 AM »

Oldbury gives you a throrough response using examples of our squad and you respond to say that it doesn’t enlighten you and that you have supported Albion since 1981? I think you then effectively say that we should steam roller the league by playing our first team in every match. Isn’t that what Moore has been doing? It’s not like he changes the team much. Then again what would I know, my first match was in 1983 so I don’t have the same experience.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2523 on: January 05, 2019, 09:49:09 AM »
Moore knows his best side - he spoke about changing the culture and that was tried from the summer. It yielded some results but during a sticky spell Moore made the neccesary changes to get us back on track.

We have been in freefall for over a year - to suddenly expect us to have all the answers following a relegation, withdrawing of investment & changing a culture within a club with an inexperienced boss in charge was aiming very high.

Stoke are a good example of how hard the transition can be and they spent a shed load of money doing it.

Moore knows his best 11, but the age of this squad & pile up of fixtures means we cannot persist with the same team every week. And whatever you say, our back up options are not good enough.

Viva Big Dave

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2524 on: January 05, 2019, 09:52:37 AM »
Moore knows his best side - he spoke about changing the culture and that was tried from the summer. It yielded some results but during a sticky spell Moore made the neccesary changes to get us back on track.

We have been in freefall for over a year - to suddenly expect us to have all the answers following a relegation, withdrawing of investment & changing a culture within a club with an inexperienced boss in charge was aiming very high.

Stoke are a good example of how hard the transition can be and they spent a shed load of money doing it.

Moore knows his best 11, but the age of this squad & pile up of fixtures means we cannot persist with the same team every week. And whatever you say, our back up options are not good enough.

Viva Big Dave

Spot on.