Author Topic: Six Nations Rugby  (Read 9796 times)

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Six Nations Rugby
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2013, 08:14:18 PM »
Excellent performance by Wales - didn't let England get a foothold in the game.

Just shows how important momentum and confidence is in any sport - from 8 consecutive defeats and 30-3 down at half time against Ireland to todays heights.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2013, 08:33:59 PM »
Pathetic not good enough. 63 million people cant find a winning team against how may sheep >:(
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2013, 12:46:53 PM »
A step to far for England against a very good Wales side who put out a superb performance. The platform was sent in the opening twenty minutes when we lost the scrummaging battle and gave away numerous penalties which gave Wales a solid platform. The way we crumbled was disappointing but that'll be the first time our side has experienced something like that and it shall be interesting to see how they respond. England have done a lot of good things in the last twelve months and last night was a reminder that they're not the finished article just yet against a seasoned Welsh side.

One thing which might disappoint Stuart Lancaster is our lack of tries throughout the tournament and how little we've actually looked like scoring a try. When we've got into good positions our decision making has been poor, as Manu Tuliagi showed last night and those are facets which need to be ironed out if we're to be the best.

I think I`d prefer watching paint dry rather than sitting through a game of rugby lol!!
ive always wondered what the point of this sport is,
a load of ugly cauliflower eared thugs knocking 3 bells out of each other.

If you don't like it, why read the thread and why comment just to disrupt the thread with nonsense?

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2021, 06:26:49 PM »
Six nations 2021 and with just over 5 minutes left, England are set to lose to Scotland at Twickenham.

Pre tournament, I've seen a ton of rugby journalists tell me on the one hand that we have a number of players out plus the Saracens contingent have been unable to play much competitive rugby due to their relegation and then tell me on the other hand that we are favourites and the predicted winners.

I mean.....we have struggled to dominate Europe for the last decade with a full squad.

France my favourites for this year.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2021, 07:01:52 PM »
England beat Italy as expected, but still ship more points against them than at any 6 nations since 2008. Game overshadowed by a horrible knee injury to debutant Jack Willis who had only just scored his first try (one of those injuries where they won't show you the replay).

To make things worse, Scotland were 10 minutes away from registering 2 wins from their first 2 games for the first ever in the 6 nations era. Instead, Wales win by one point, having benefited from a red card for the second week on the trot. Had they held on, Scotland would have still had Italy to play and the realistic chance of winning the championship. Bit gutted for them really.
Boing Boing

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2021, 07:38:48 PM »
There’s been some incredible individual performances so far. DuPont and Hogg last week, Hogg and Zammitt this.

Looking forward to watching France in Ireland tomorrow, although it will have to be recorded until after our game.

P Anderson

• Site Donator
  • Junior Baggie

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2021, 06:47:24 PM »
Absolutely shocking from the ref today. He seemed to be against England from the first kick of the game. Wales first two tries should never have stood. Fuming
Submariners go deeper

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2021, 06:51:53 PM »
Never mind. Super League starts in 4 weeks. Proper Rugby.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2021, 07:09:35 PM »
Absolutely shocking from the ref today. He seemed to be against England from the first kick of the game. Wales first two tries should never have stood. Fuming
Take off the 2 tries and England would still have lost, and I'm English. To me Eddie Jones needs to go because we just don't adapt to the laws of the game, and the style is pulisesque, the penalty count against is worse than West Brom today lol.
24-24 all, game is there to be won, 3 soft penalties left us chasing the game
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2021, 07:12:35 PM »
Wales still on course for the luckiest grand slam in history. Theu have had an extra man in all 3 games so far this tournament, it just turned out today that it didn't involve a sending off 😉.

England are awful though, hilarious thst so called experts in English rugby media had us down to win the slam. Idiots.

As Jacko say, oh well, proper rugby starts in 4 weeks time.
Boing Boing

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2021, 09:01:02 PM »
As Guscott said, it seems that the Rees-Zammit 'knock-on' try was correctly allowed as the ball hits his leg and goes backwards before hitting the floor. Regardless of what you might think of the law it seems the officials made the right call on that one. So only one disputed try.

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2021, 09:16:55 PM »
Farrell was given time talk with players before first try. Don't know why they had a water break at that stage and once ref indicated ready to play they were still plenty of. Them drinking. No rush to get back in line and Wales cleverly took advantage.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2021, 05:44:11 PM »
World Rugby's head of referees has now said that both he and referee Gauzere have reviewed the first 2 Wales tries and concluded that both should not have been given.

It seems the first is now without any doubt - Gauzere did a bit of a Lee Mason and called way too quickly against custom.

I am a bit confused by the explanation for why the second was incorrect - I don't post it in full here but it seems they have blamed the rule and also the TMO for maybe looking too long but to me it suggests the rule needs clarifying rather than the ref.

Anyway, Wales luck has to end eventually - at least you hope so.
Boing Boing

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2021, 08:28:09 PM »
World Rugby's head of referees has now said that both he and referee Gauzere have reviewed the first 2 Wales tries and concluded that both should not have been given.

It seems the first is now without any doubt - Gauzere did a bit of a Lee Mason and called way too quickly against custom.

I am a bit confused by the explanation for why the second was incorrect - I don't post it in full here but it seems they have blamed the rule and also the TMO for maybe looking too long but to me it suggests the rule needs clarifying rather than the ref.

Anyway, Wales luck has to end eventually - at least you hope so.
Re the 2nd one,  according to Nigel Owens if the ball is knocked on and then hits another part of the body it's still a knock-on unless the ball is regathered before touching the ground - so yes agreed it was a clear knock-on.
Re the Welsh luck, I may be biased but Wales have reaped the benefit of having very good discipline as a team so far. By the stricter laws on head impacts Ireland and Scotland correctly went down to 14 men against Wales. England gave away far too many penalties and did they really have to get the water bottles on when Farrell was just told to go and speak to your team, it's not meant to be a water break and time-out.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2021, 08:40:55 PM »
Re the 2nd one,  according to Nigel Owens if the ball is knocked on and then hits another part of the body it's still a knock-on unless the ball is regathered before touching the ground - so yes agreed it was a clear knock-on.
Re the Welsh luck, I may be biased but Wales have reaped the benefit of having very good discipline as a team so far. By the stricter laws on head impacts Ireland and Scotland correctly went down to 14 men against Wales. England gave away far too many penalties and did they really have to get the water bottles on when Farrell was just told to go and speak to your team, it's not meant to be a water break and time-out.

Both the Irish and Scottish reds were correct,  but if Albion end up playing 10 men twice in the next 2 games I'll count that as luck being on our side - especially as an off colour Welsh side still struggled over the line in both games vs 14 men.

As for the water carriers thing, the referee has admitted that it is his job to ensure that both teams are set and ready to go after sending Farrell off to speak to his team and so water carriers or no water carriers - the ref still shouldn't have allowed the restart.

If it was a vintage Welsh side like some we have seen in recent years then I wouldn't mind too much, but it will be a bit deflating if this side collect a grand slam as looks very possible now, as it isn't a great advert for Northern hemisphere strength.
Boing Boing

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2021, 08:57:06 PM »
Both the Irish and Scottish reds were correct,  but if Albion end up playing 10 men twice in the next 2 games I'll count that as luck being on our side - especially as an off colour Welsh side still struggled over the line in both games vs 14 men.

As for the water carriers thing, the referee has admitted that it is his job to ensure that both teams are set and ready to go after sending Farrell off to speak to his team and so water carriers or no water carriers - the ref still shouldn't have allowed the restart.

If it was a vintage Welsh side like some we have seen in recent years then I wouldn't mind too much, but it will be a bit deflating if this side collect a grand slam as looks very possible now, as it isn't a great advert for Northern hemisphere strength.
Fair enough, I don't dispute the water carrier try should have been disallowed...but a lesson for England to learn there also. It was supposed to be a brief ticking off for them, Wales weren't having a water break.
Lets face it it's a messy 6 Nations with France looking the best side but they are now looking uncertain due to the covid outbreak. I often think a lot of sport is about cashing in when your luck is in and momentum builds.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2021, 09:10:27 PM »
Alun Wyn Jones is 35 now, he is going to be nigh on impossible for Wales to replace.

I also think Eddie Jones is now a busted flush and England need to move on now.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2021, 08:06:56 AM »
Well, there ends a fairly miserable week for English sport. 2 losses against the toss in the cricket by the one former colony, Ireland weren't to be out done and decided to give us 4 days of trouncings at Cheltenham and then resign us to a 5th place finish in the 6 nations (or as I see it, the real last place).

It shows the arrogance of English rugby union media that they were confident this side would be favourites, despite a few withdrawals and the fact half the side haven't played any competitive Rugby in months due to  Saracens relegation.

Glad France ended what would have been in my eyes an undeserved Welsh Grand Slam. Hopefully they can finish the job vs Scotland next week with a bonus point win to take their first-title in over a decade.
Boing Boing

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2021, 08:55:03 AM »
Well, there ends a fairly miserable week for English sport. 2 losses against the toss in the cricket by the one former colony, Ireland weren't to be out done and decided to give us 4 days of trouncings at Cheltenham and then resign us to a 5th place finish in the 6 nations (or as I see it, the real last place).

It shows the arrogance of English rugby union media that they were confident this side would be favourites, despite a few withdrawals and the fact half the side haven't played any competitive Rugby in months due to  Saracens relegation.

Glad France ended what would have been in my eyes an undeserved Welsh Grand Slam. Hopefully they can finish the job vs Scotland next week with a bonus point win to take their first-title in over a decade.
You are of course entitled to that opinion. Wales have improved game on game during the tournament and played at a very high level for the first 60 minutes last night. Should have won but for a needless penalty conceded by Cory Hill when we were in possession with 40 seconds left on the clock.
Not our fault other teams had poor discipline against us. Scored 20 tries in the tournament. Certain decisions have gone our way  but others haven't. Probably should have had a penalty try last night for the driving maul that ended up with the near Rees-Zammit try in the corner - that would have  given a 17 point lead. Such is sport...plenty of similar ifs and maybes in past title wins.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2021, 11:50:06 AM »
Oh dear, how sad, never mind  ;D  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2021, 01:17:26 PM »
You are of course entitled to that opinion. Wales have improved game on game during the tournament and played at a very high level for the first 60 minutes last night. Should have won but for a needless penalty conceded by Cory Hill when we were in possession with 40 seconds left on the clock.
Not our fault other teams had poor discipline against us. Scored 20 tries in the tournament. Certain decisions have gone our way  but others haven't. Probably should have had a penalty try last night for the driving maul that ended up with the near Rees-Zammit try in the corner - that would have  given a 17 point lead. Such is sport...plenty of similar ifs and maybes in past title wins.

Oh I totally get it’s just a personal opinion - and had you won my view would have mattered zilch.

I just feel with the poor form you came into the tournament, it needed a lot of luck to turn that into a grand slam and that’s what Wales got.

Struggled to a victory vs Ireland despite playing nearly 70 mins with a man advantage, struggled to a 1 point win vs Scotland despite playing nearly 30 minutes with a man advantage (with both sides still taking the lead post the sendings off). Then comes the England game and while I think there is every chance Wales would have won anyway as England look lost, there were 2 decisions in that first half that the World Rugby referees association have since said were wrong calls and they shifted the momentum of the game completely.

If Wales do win the title then fair play, but Grand Slams should mean something and be reserved for the truly dominant side in the tournament, I just don’t think that was Wales. Maybe it will next year.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 01:36:38 PM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2021, 09:29:24 PM »
Oh I totally get it’s just a personal opinion - and had you won my view would have mattered zilch.

I just feel with the poor form you came into the tournament, it needed a lot of luck to turn that into a grand slam and that’s what Wales got.

Struggled to a victory vs Ireland despite playing nearly 70 mins with a man advantage, struggled to a 1 point win vs Scotland despite playing nearly 30 minutes with a man advantage (with both sides still taking the lead post the sendings off). Then comes the England game and while I think there is every chance Wales would have won anyway as England look lost, there were 2 decisions in that first half that the World Rugby referees association have since said were wrong calls and they shifted the momentum of the game completely.

If Wales do win the title then fair play, but Grand Slams should mean something and be reserved for the truly dominant side in the tournament, I just don’t think that was Wales. Maybe it will next year.
On the Welsh scrum V program, Nigel Owens does a brief review of the crunch refereeing decisions. He agreed that those two against England were incorrect. Regarding this week's decisions he praised the officials overall but said there was a clear offence in the driving maul incident and it certainly should have been a penalty try as Wales were rapidly approaching the try line. That would have put us 17 points up with France down to 14 men. He also said the Liam Williams yellow card  should not have been given. It was awarded for LW making a tackle while still on the floor...he wasn't on the floor,  he'd got back to his feet so the yellow was incorrect and Wales shouldn't have gone down to 13 men. So Wales seem to have been pretty hard done by in this one.

Anyway it's quite a big ask for France to beat Scotland by a 20 point margin but it's not beyond them. Whoever ends up winning the 6 Nations will deserve it.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2021, 11:11:02 AM »
So Scotland do the business in Paris with a big performance and slightly helped by France not kicking the ball out of play when the 80 minutes was up on the match clock.

Wales take the 6 Nations title. Some think them lucky, maybe a shade but....it's not Wales' fault that other teams have shown poor discipline against them. Benefited from couple of big decisions against England balanced out by being on the wrong end of a couple of big decisions against France. Wales ended the Autumn in a bit of a mess and Pivac under pressure. They now have a solid pack, dangerous set of backs and have developed an attacking style with all the players knowing what they are doing.
Scotland and Ireland can feel pretty positive about their campaigns overall.
France with loads of young talent coming through are the team to watch leading up to the World Cup in France in '23.
England in a bit of a mess. Loads of talent to choose from and they really didn't have to stick with the badly under cooked and under performing players e.g. Billy Vunipola
Italy unfortunately after playing some good rugby in the early games have finished as complete whipping boys again.
Overall an interesting and enjoyable 6 nations especially in the absence of the usual crowds and atmosphere.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2021, 06:43:17 PM »
certain frenchman will never buy a pint in wales, what was he thinking?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2021, 07:12:37 PM »
certain frenchman will never buy a pint in wales, what was he thinking?
He said he just didn't realise that time was up. In any case France needed to beat Scotland by 21 points to stop Wales winning the title so really it just cost France an international win, world ranking points...maybe cost his team-mates a win bonus.