Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2363797 times)

divinewind

• WBA Coach

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #5775 on: March 07, 2019, 06:37:26 PM »
The fact that our club officials have to keep travelling all the way to China to see him speaks volumes for me. Why on earth did he pay all that money for us for?

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5776 on: March 08, 2019, 10:37:38 AM »
Lai is nothing more than a front for a few financial investors. Not sure why anyone ever thought he'd be interested in our club for any other reason? He'll eventually sell when he and his consortium have achieved what they want.

The only way we'll ever get owners who really care is if we ever adopted a German club model and the fans took majority ownership. This won't happen in the current climate though.........there's too much money involved

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5777 on: March 12, 2019, 10:38:25 AM »
“Is Moore’s sacking a signal of a higher level exit plan?”

Any interest read and an interesting theory

Source: https://brummieroadender.com/baggies-comment/is-moores-sacking-a-signal-of-a-higher-level-exit-plan/
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5778 on: March 12, 2019, 10:45:41 AM »

Source: https://brummieroadender.com/baggies-comment/is-moores-sacking-a-signal-of-a-higher-level-exit-plan/

I would go with that, completely a short term gamble on the hope of a new manager bounce. I would be amazed if we get a new face in with a long term plan.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5779 on: March 12, 2019, 10:48:01 AM »
Lai is nothing more than a front for a few financial investors. Not sure why anyone ever thought he'd be interested in our club for any other reason? He'll eventually sell when he and his consortium have achieved what they want.

The only way we'll ever get owners who really care is if we ever adopted a German club model and the fans took majority ownership. This won't happen in the current climate though.........there's too much money involved
Our Twitter contingency would be sacking the manager every week if he didn't do everything to their liking! They still have meltdowns over kit launches!  ;D
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5780 on: March 12, 2019, 11:17:30 AM »

Interesting, but he quotes Matt Wilson of the E & S.

Matt Wilson, in his podcast, said that it was Lai's decision to appoint Moore. The UK board wanted Dean Smith.

I have the feeling that Lai has a greater input in the key decisions than we think.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5781 on: March 12, 2019, 02:03:09 PM »

I believe Swansea had this model which is also used in Spain where the likes of real Madrid vote for their president.

I think pompey also had it, but in both cases they sell out at the first sign of anyone flashing the cash.

There is no panacea when it comes to club ownership unfortunately.

Where there is vast sums of potentially (prem) you get the likes of the oystons and the Bolton owner.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5782 on: April 06, 2019, 07:27:37 PM »
How did this bloke ever become a billionaire, if running this football club is anything to go by. Board are shambolic and haven't got a back bone between them and seem to be always looking for the cheap option when it comes to football side of the business.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #5783 on: April 16, 2019, 06:46:12 PM »
Been reading a conversation on Twitter which originated from https://twitter.com/Prof_Chadwick about reasons why Chinese companies have purchased Midlands clubs and has linked to this -

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3006420/china-presses-interest-uks-high-speed-rail-project-high-level

Also just read that FOSUN have interests in rail
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5784 on: April 16, 2019, 07:01:52 PM »
Interesting article, thanks Phil.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5785 on: April 16, 2019, 08:42:58 PM »
Been reading a conversation on Twitter which originated from https://twitter.com/Prof_Chadwick about reasons why Chinese companies have purchased Midlands clubs and has linked to this -

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3006420/china-presses-interest-uks-high-speed-rail-project-high-level

I've been following Simon Chadwick for some time, since GL showed an interest in us.
Helps to give some explanation on why Lai would have been interested in us.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5786 on: April 16, 2019, 10:21:28 PM »

This is another interesting article about the Fosun/Mendes relationship

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-files-fosun-specialreport/special-report-how-a-soccer-agent-and-chinese-tycoon-planned-to-trade-in-players-idUKKCN1OX0Q1

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #5787 on: April 16, 2019, 10:24:46 PM »
Selected...

“Football is an entertainment business and should not be a financial business,”

Someone please tell Jenkins.

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5788 on: April 16, 2019, 10:35:31 PM »
Anyone seen Lai yet this year ?  Thought not!  >:(
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5789 on: April 16, 2019, 10:42:25 PM »
Anyone seen Lai yet this year ?  Thought not!  >:(

Don’t worry, if by some miracle we get to Wembley, I can see the camera on him

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5790 on: April 17, 2019, 12:50:00 AM »
I've been following Simon Chadwick for some time, since GL showed an interest in us.
Helps to give some explanation on why Lai would have been interested in us.
I read an interesting article, not long ago, about Chinese interest in railroad building and contracts throughout all Western countries. Unsurprisingly, they all have a Westerly/Easterly direction. It’s been dubbed the New Silk Road. The Hawthorns station could be the end of the line. Or the starting point. :D
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5791 on: April 17, 2019, 08:45:05 AM »
I read an interesting article, not long ago, about Chinese interest in railroad building and contracts throughout all Western countries. Unsurprisingly, they all have a Westerly/Easterly direction. It’s been dubbed the New Silk Road. The Hawthorns station could be the end of the line. Or the starting point. :D

I spent some time off the beaten track a few years ago in Lao, the Chinese investment out there is on an unbelievable scale. They are a building a massive rail road (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vientiane%E2%80%93Boten_Railway) which will open up the South East Asia Peninsula even more to Chinese influence, as it links them and Lao to the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kunming%E2%80%93Singapore_railway.

Take a look at this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belt_and_Road_Initiative to see where it all fits in. The new silk road currently stops in Hamburg!

« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 08:47:45 AM by BoingFlyer »
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5792 on: May 07, 2019, 11:35:18 PM »
So Mr Lai isn’t bothering to come over for our play-off games. Seriously, what is he doing at our club? He clearly hasn’t the slightest interest in the footballing side. He thought he was speculating in order to accumulate but he could lose a good chunk of his £180m investment IF - and it is a big IF - we don’t get promoted.

bosh

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #5793 on: May 07, 2019, 11:51:00 PM »
He's probably lost a lot of that already because no one will pay what he paid - promotion or not. He bought a reasonably solvent self-sustaining club. Can't say that is the case any more.

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5794 on: May 08, 2019, 12:11:35 AM »
So Mr Lai isn’t bothering to come over for our play-off games. Seriously, what is he doing at our club? He clearly hasn’t the slightest interest in the footballing side. He thought he was speculating in order to accumulate but he could lose a good chunk of his £180m investment IF - and it is a big IF - we don’t get promoted.

Not that big an if  :(

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5795 on: May 08, 2019, 03:48:43 AM »
Not that big an if  :(

I hope you are right, BUT - and it is a big BUT ..... ;D ;D

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5796 on: May 08, 2019, 06:38:35 AM »
Been reading in the press that our illustrious chairman can't be arsed to show up at the play off semis.
Just about sums up his interest in this club.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5797 on: May 08, 2019, 07:19:07 AM »
Been reading in the press that our illustrious chairman can't be arsed to show up at the play off semis.
Just about sums up his interest in this club.

Chairman is Li Piyue not GL. GL is simply an investor with dozens of businesses, why should the Albion take precedent over his other interests? GL appoints representatives to run his businesses with Mark Jenkins being the main decision maker here.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5798 on: May 08, 2019, 08:29:56 AM »
Chairman is Li Piyue not GL. GL is simply an investor with dozens of businesses, why should the Albion take precedent over his other interests? GL appoints representatives to run his businesses with Mark Jenkins being the main decision maker here.

GL owns around 85% of West Bromwich Albion.

I still believe he bought the club to promote his Chinese business interests globally, so that when we were relegated, that promotion fell away big time.
I can  see from that why he lost interest, but the play-offs are an opportunity for him to pick it up again, I'd be really disappointed & concerned if we make it to the final & he's not there.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5799 on: May 08, 2019, 08:46:11 AM »
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.