Author Topic: Dingle watch - Anything Wolves  (Read 2069378 times)

BaggieBoyLee

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Dingle watch - Anything Wolves
« Reply #775 on: August 10, 2011, 11:28:50 PM »
At last, a Dingle with an ounce of knowledge - Kevinr61 take a bow
"West Bromwich Albion; making the impossible - possible"

silver surfer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #776 on: August 10, 2011, 11:39:00 PM »

1.Two stadiums famous for their intimidating atmospheres.....

2.I'm sure the finished Molineux will be able to accomodate 6000 away fans. Just one of the many advantages stadia with world class capacity and facilities brings.
1. Like when i couldnt here a single thing you chanted in the cup or the 2nd half of last seasons league game. How much noise will your coorporate crowd/ 7 year old free ticket schoolkids make then?
2.Depending on your status and your need to service your loan could we have more then? How about both ends behind the goal?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 11:43:16 PM by silver surfer »

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #777 on: August 10, 2011, 11:40:59 PM »
Two stadiums famous for their intimidating atmospheres.....

We were the only team to get a point from Old Trafford last season

baggieboyjop

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #778 on: August 11, 2011, 12:29:28 AM »
As a Wolves fan who's posted on here a few times in the past can I try and be objective and summarise a few things I believe.

Both of us had poor defences last year and from a Wolves point of view Johnson is a great signing and can hopefully stabilise younger players like Berra and Stearman. I still think we are a good defender short of being solid. As for Albion Foster is a great improvement on Carson but I'm not sure McCauley or Jones will improve on what you had before. So I think we are both better at the back than last year but I suspect you too would like one more good defender. Dawson may be it but its a big ask to jump 2 divisions and perform week in week out. Hopefully he does as its good to see young English lads coming through.

As for midfield you have an abundance of good players and most teams below the top 6 would take Brunt, Dorrans and Mulumbu in a heartbeat. Thomas is decent from what I've seen and you have decent if unspectacular back-up like Morrison. O'hara aside I think we are weak in the centre if we have to rely on Henry every week and I'm still hopeful someone will come in before the end of August. Out wide Jarvis and Hunt are good hard working players, Hamill is potentially a very good young player and Kightly is still unknown at this level because of injury. If he can get back what he had then he will be some player but its a big if.

As for strikers we have two excellent players in Fletcher and Doyle, SEB is decent as a third choice and Ward an intelligent player who's had to adapt this game to play anyhwere Mick wants. Its the area of the pitch I least worry about for us. No-one can deny Odemwingie had a fantastic season, the question is can he do it again when he's more widely known. However he has pace and great ability and at any level that's a big asset. Long is a gamble in a way as any striker coming out of the championship is an unknown quantity. SEB scored 50 goals in 2 seasons but still struggled but then players like DJ Campbell did much better than expected so again who knows? I don't know much about the back-up behind those two but from the times I've seen them Cox looks decent but I don't rate Fortune or Bednar. So if by any chance Odemwingie struggles and Long doesn't adapt you will be relying on goals from the midfield though you've got good goalscorers there, including Thcoyi (spelling?).

For what its worth I think we will both be safe as we've improved and teams coming up seem weaker. I don't place too much emphasis on last years placing as Birmingham finished 9th the year before and couldn't kick on. Having stayed up 2 years ago a few injuries and the "dirty Wolves" tag derailed us and it took a long time to recover and we were always playing catch-up so although a cliche "second season syndome" is something to watch out for. In Hodgson I suspect you have the perfect manager to deal with that.

All in all I think we will both be ok. We are both proper clubs who live within our means and buck the trend of clubs who splash cash and want instant success and for that reason I have a respect for the Baggies as a club.

Sorry for the length of this post....good luck.

Well done kevin, finally one of your lot who has a sensible view on all of this. Someone who actually sounds like they know what they're on about rather than just coming on the wind up and embarrassing themselves
I hate stoke, i hate newcastle more than i hate stoke, i hate andy carrol more than i hate newcastle, i hate v*lla more than i hate andy carrol but i hate the dingles most of all. Albion till i die

castlebaggiefan2011

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #779 on: August 11, 2011, 12:40:47 AM »
As a Wolves fan who's posted on here a few times in the past can I try and be objective and summarise a few things I believe.

Both of us had poor defences last year and from a Wolves point of view Johnson is a great signing and can hopefully stabilise younger players like Berra and Stearman. I still think we are a good defender short of being solid. As for Albion Foster is a great improvement on Carson but I'm not sure McCauley or Jones will improve on what you had before. So I think we are both better at the back than last year but I suspect you too would like one more good defender. Dawson may be it but its a big ask to jump 2 divisions and perform week in week out. Hopefully he does as its good to see young English lads coming through.

As for midfield you have an abundance of good players and most teams below the top 6 would take Brunt, Dorrans and Mulumbu in a heartbeat. Thomas is decent from what I've seen and you have decent if unspectacular back-up like Morrison. O'hara aside I think we are weak in the centre if we have to rely on Henry every week and I'm still hopeful someone will come in before the end of August. Out wide Jarvis and Hunt are good hard working players, Hamill is potentially a very good young player and Kightly is still unknown at this level because of injury. If he can get back what he had then he will be some player but its a big if.

As for strikers we have two excellent players in Fletcher and Doyle, SEB is decent as a third choice and Ward an intelligent player who's had to adapt this game to play anyhwere Mick wants. Its the area of the pitch I least worry about for us. No-one can deny Odemwingie had a fantastic season, the question is can he do it again when he's more widely known. However he has pace and great ability and at any level that's a big asset. Long is a gamble in a way as any striker coming out of the championship is an unknown quantity. SEB scored 50 goals in 2 seasons but still struggled but then players like DJ Campbell did much better than expected so again who knows? I don't know much about the back-up behind those two but from the times I've seen them Cox looks decent but I don't rate Fortune or Bednar. So if by any chance Odemwingie struggles and Long doesn't adapt you will be relying on goals from the midfield though you've got good goalscorers there, including Thcoyi (spelling?).

For what its worth I think we will both be safe as we've improved and teams coming up seem weaker. I don't place too much emphasis on last years placing as Birmingham finished 9th the year before and couldn't kick on. Having stayed up 2 years ago a few injuries and the "dirty Wolves" tag derailed us and it took a long time to recover and we were always playing catch-up so although a cliche "second season syndome" is something to watch out for. In Hodgson I suspect you have the perfect manager to deal with that.

All in all I think we will both be ok. We are both proper clubs who live within our means and buck the trend of clubs who splash cash and want instant success and for that reason I have a respect for the Baggies as a club.

Sorry for the length of this post....good luck.
Great post good comparison the length was worth it
The Lord's my Shepherd, I'll not want:
He makes me down to lie
In pastures green; he leadeth me
The quiet waters by.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #780 on: August 11, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
Not here to argue regardless of what people may think from my previous posts.

We both have differing opinions on our clubs, sides, stadiums, staff etc etc and so we should!

I personally think you'll have a harder season, I don't think Odemwingie can sustain the form he did last season but that's just what I think, none of you have addressed the question I've been trying to ask though from the beginning and that is, you had the 2nd worst defence in the league, what have you done to really improve this this summer?

Also I just want to know why people think Long will be such a hit?
Tchoyi isn't that good IMO, Cox... goal of the month? That doesn't mean anything about his ability as back up.

I think we'll do better than last season but I know you'll disagree, that's rivalry for you.
Just on the second worst defense point. We may have conceeded the second most amount of goals, but in matches our defense was better than the oppositions on enough occasions to earn enough points to finish 11th. Where did wolves finish? Have you done enough to address this?
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

w27

« Reply #781 on: August 11, 2011, 09:31:53 AM »
never heard so much waffle in my life on majority of the posts on here  :o

personally albion did very well last season, so credit to you!

you had a cracking start, slipped majorly and wasn't until liverpool win that you regained form to see you safe (credit for that win but if you lost that one you was in trouble and even you guys will admit that)

but end of the day you had ONE season worth of success, Birmingham had this and look where they are now, this is fantastic opportunity for both of us to establish with some weak sides coming up (imo) but don't take things for granted

the great odemewingie was terrific last season, but does that mean he will be this year? he was bit of unknown quantity, teams realise how to nullify their opponents threats in time. its happened to us last year, teams now double up on Jarvis instead of just the fullback trying to block the cross, teams know to attack down our left now etc....

now I'm not coming on here to say we're better blah blah or your worse blah blah

personally i think we're two very similar clubs in terms of playing ability

as for future ambition I'm not saying it will pan out how we in-vision but even you guys have got to admit how well we are doing on and off the pitch

we run in profit
we're rebuilding the stadium
we're rebuilding the training ground
we're building a premier worthy squad by adding 10-20m worth talent each year (wether we spend money wisely is a different debate, but least its their if we want it)
we have succesfully stayed up twice in a row (more than you've yet to achieve)

we are one if not the best run club in the country imo which is credit to the club

i wouldn't be surprised see us come 12th and you 15th or vice-versa this season

i do think we will both be safe and look forward to more continued banter along the premier path in upcoming years

« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 09:39:22 AM by w27 »

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #782 on: August 11, 2011, 09:40:30 AM »
    • we run in profit
      we're rebuilding the stadium
      we're rebuilding the training ground
      we're building a premier worthy squad by adding 10-20m worth talent each year (wether we spend money wisely is a different debate, but least its their if we want it)

we are one if not the best run club in the country imo which is credit to the club

We are hardly in debt ourselves are we!
    We are rebuilding our stadium
    We have already rebuilt and own our training ground as well as one of the best academies in europe
    We are building a premiership squad
    We are one of the best run clubs in the country too

Check your history, do you not remember the 'great escape' season?!

SO WHATS YOUR POINT???
    [/list]
    « Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 09:43:13 AM by phbaggies »
    12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

w27

« Reply #783 on: August 11, 2011, 10:05:54 AM »
      We are hardly in debt ourselves are we!
      We are rebuilding our stadium
      We have already rebuilt and own our training ground as well as one of the best academies in europe
      We are building a premiership squad
      We are one of the best run clubs in the country too

Check your history, do you not remember the 'great escape' season?!

SO WHATS YOUR POINT???
    [/list]

1. where have i mentioned wba finances? but now you bought it up we have similar budgets in terms of wages structure but our chairmen allows regular funds for signings each summer unlike JP! but if either were to be relegated we wouldnt crumble financially unlike 90% of teams who are relegated!

2. WBA stayed up one season i believe? (could be wrong) we've stayed up twice (now in 3rd consective year - i still cant remember you achieving this in premier history)

w27

« Reply #784 on: August 11, 2011, 10:13:50 AM »
    Just on the second worst defense point. We may have conceeded the second most amount of goals, but in matches our defense was better than the oppositions on enough occasions to earn enough points to finish 11th. Where did wolves finish? Have you done enough to address this?

serious issue with goals conceded for you imo which you need to address, we are no defensive heroes ourselves but if your conceeding 1 goal every game (min) like yourselves were doing you need to score TWO goals just to stand a chance of winning the game

thankfully for yourselves you did this more times than not, but its a big ask. what happens when the goals dry up? as they will at some point

as for our defence, probably not....we need a left back!! we know it, you know it, everyone knows it bar mick it would appear. before we get solid left back in or one of the current players step up a notch then we'll always have a weak link to the defensive line!!!

but i am very pleased with the lad johnson we've got in, i'm not on the lines of he's the best cb in england like some wolves fans are suggesting! he is a fairly solid heart on the sleeve cb, he is a natural leader and something we are needing in the heart of our defense! he is a fantastic signing for us and even if somehow any of you guys dont rate him then look at rest of our defense

is he better than stearman? yes
    berra? yes
    craddock? yes

etc...

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #785 on: August 11, 2011, 10:22:30 AM »
    We havent stayed up twice like you have but that will change this season.  ;)

Johnson is a good defender and is a good signing who will make you stronger at the back.

Personally, bias aside, I dont think theres much between the two sides.  You beat us but we finished ahead of you so it kind of evens itself out.

We have brought in Foster who will be a huge improvement to Carson so in theory our defense will be better too.

If the window closed tomorrow I see us about 13th with you 15th. Lets see how it is at the end of this window because I doubt our business is done.  The noises coming out of Molineux is that yours is.  Lets wait and see what happens.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
    • WBA Chairman

« Reply #786 on: August 11, 2011, 11:16:50 AM »
    Our new stadium is coming on a treat by the way, if anyone's interested.

Serious question.

Is it Steve Morgans company doing the work ?
    Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
    Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #787 on: August 11, 2011, 11:23:09 AM »
    I should be too busy enjoying my birthday, but sadly I'm on the way to the hospital. My sides need stitching back together after spending the last hour laughing about "The Hoff" coming to rip us to shreds next season ;D ;D

Honestly, you Dingles are the most deluded people in the world. The laughing stock of the Midlands.

And I won't even get into the laughable comment "you'd kill for options like Ward" ::) Erm, yeah, ok then!
    No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no shots on target.......

castlebaggiefan2011

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #788 on: August 11, 2011, 11:47:51 AM »
    serious issue with goals conceded for you imo which you need to address, we are no defensive heroes ourselves but if your conceeding 1 goal every game (min) like yourselves were doing you need to score TWO goals just to stand a chance of winning the game

thankfully for yourselves you did this more times than not, but its a big ask. what happens when the goals dry up? as they will at some point

as for our defence, probably not....we need a left back!! we know it, you know it, everyone knows it bar mick it would appear. before we get solid left back in or one of the current players step up a notch then we'll always have a weak link to the defensive line!!!
    the difference between west brom and wolves last season is your right as in fact our defences record wasnt too different relative to yours as we only conceded 5 goals more than you it was only the terrible clean zheet record that got us lumbered with the exaggeratedly bad defence label. Im not saying our defence was good last i just think it was emphasised our impressive attacking record. As we were the joint eighth top goalscoring team.i am not deluded i know our defence was rubbish but it wasnt as far off the mark as certain pundits would say.
    Average goals conceded per game
    WBA-1.8
    Wolves-1.7

The Lord's my Shepherd, I'll not want:
    He makes me down to lie
    In pastures green; he leadeth me
    The quiet waters by.

BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #789 on: August 11, 2011, 12:16:17 PM »
    I'm sick of hearing all this 'our defence is better than yours, and you haven't addressed this'. Funny thing is we have addressed this, we have a certain manager called ROY HODGSON who is world famous for focusing on defence and getting the best out of them, you only have to look what he did with Fulham.

With him now having a full pre-season, i'm pretty sure he has drilled his vast knowledge into them and i can gaurantee we won't conceed as many goals as last season, especially now we have Ben Foster in goal who will save us at least 10 points this season.

Granted times are looking good for us, but i also admit times are looking good for Wolves as well. Improving your ground, training facilities show that Steve Morgan is serious about you wanting to stop in the league and fair play to him. Also the fact that you have no debt is to be admired, but i would seriously say this is the case with albion now as the last figures to show we were in debt was the 09/10 season which showed we were 6 million in debt, but you have to remember that was in The Championship.

You have improved your defence, by adding ONE defender, what happens if he gets injured, back to good old Stearman again? I admit i think he is a cracking signing, and i would partner him with Olsson in a heartbeat but im sick of Wolves saying 'weve got a world class signing, watch this space'.

Overall i think that you have only added one player (o'hara already spent half season with you) but it should be enough to get you 14th - 16th. With albion im predicting us to finish 13th - 15th, but remember this is my opinion.

I'm looking forward to this season as i think both black country teams could really do well.
    Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

DJ EmmJee

• WBA Manager

« Reply #790 on: August 11, 2011, 12:22:27 PM »
    Arguing with these tossers is like trying to fan away a particularly reeking beer fart. Pointless.

Just ignore it, and it will urine off in good time.
    Thou shalt not maketh jokes. This used to be the best board, I'd ever been on.

kevinr61

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #791 on: August 11, 2011, 12:40:59 PM »
    Serious question.

Is it Steve Morgans company doing the work ?

Oldbury, I may be wrong but I'm fairly certain its being done by a company that specialises in stadium builds, called The Buckingham Group. They also built Brighton's new ground.

w27

« Reply #792 on: August 11, 2011, 01:05:21 PM »
    With him now having a full pre-season, i'm pretty sure he has drilled his vast knowledge into them and i can gaurantee we won't conceed as many goals as last season, especially now we have Ben Foster in goal who will save us at least 10 points this season.

Overall i think that you have only added one player (o'hara already spent half season with you) but it should be enough to get you 14th - 16th. With albion im predicting us to finish 13th - 15th, but remember this is my opinion.

i like a bit of friendly debate (long stays on topic and level par)

i dont agree foster gain you 10pts, he is decent keeper and certainly step up imo than calmity cars or just mr consistent yet unspectuclar boaz

but.....foster is also partial to the odd prone error or two the points he gained blues last year i'm sure he threw 1/2 at least back by prone errors - but end of the day he is DEFIANTLY still a major step up so im not saying its a poor signing

maccualey and jones going to be bit part players i presume? i actually think our defenses are more alike than we think, both just one solid signing away from being solid rather than iffy

now onto your next point on new signings elsewhere....

baggies 4-5-1 team is gera currently going to start? wouldnt thought so, are new defenders? probably not to start with, now long? intresting to see what happens here as imagine he would be featuring so is odem going to wing?

or will long start on bench to begin?

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #793 on: August 11, 2011, 01:05:46 PM »
    wolves still need a left back and a centre back and someone to replace henry before they can talk of home comforts! and Albion we need a centre back and i still think we need another striker and could do with getting rid of the deadwood like miller bednar etc.

niether club should count chickens yet! Warnock is a very very good manager (although a tosser you have to admire) he can get the best out of players! they have signed gabbidon dyer campbell (all prem exp) and bothroyd. not bad signings! kept held of tarabt (spelling?) and if in trouble will throw money about in jan!

Swansea play really good football and will be the blackpool of this year and will cause numerous upsets and will score goals they signed two very good championship strikers! will be one of the hardest places to go this year as will be a cauldren of atmosphere!

norwich have one of the best up and coming managers in the country. Grant Holt seems to score goals regardless of what league he is in!

Ultimately sides in relegation mix until mathematicly safe: Aston Villa, Wolverhampton, WBA, Wigan, Blackburn, Swansea, Norwich, QPR, Newcastle, Sunderland (despite mass singings have they replaced bent still).

RANT OVER lets have the talking on the pitch!
    Roy Hodgsons barmy army
    O Albion we love you

Steven Fletcher

« Reply #794 on: August 11, 2011, 09:36:20 PM »
    I have to say, I did find the comment of "watch out for Maierhoffer" very amusing. That’s enough to even make a Birmingham fan smile. I am very worried about the state of our game if he is being considered.

I have made my own input to this thread but must reiterate allot of what Kevin says regarding both teams.

Not too far away now, all the best for this season, up the Wolves!  ;)

merlin_mick

« Reply #795 on: August 12, 2011, 02:56:25 AM »
    I should be too busy enjoying my birthday, but sadly I'm on the way to the hospital. My sides need stitching back together after spending the last hour laughing about "The Hoff" coming to rip us to shreds next season ;D ;D

Honestly, you Dingles are the most deluded people in the world. The laughing stock of the Midlands.

And I won't even get into the laughable comment "you'd kill for options like Ward" ::) Erm, yeah, ok then!

Do you own a mirror?  :)

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #796 on: August 12, 2011, 09:07:13 AM »
    Oldbury, I may be wrong but I'm fairly certain its being done by a company that specialises in stadium builds, called The Buckingham Group. They also built Brighton's new ground.

My missus dad works for them they're based near Silverstone. It is them doing the work I was less than happy when he was excited they got the contract
    Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
    • WBA Manager

« Reply #797 on: August 12, 2011, 11:46:36 AM »
    Paddy McCourt to the Dingles?
    Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Steven Fletcher

« Reply #798 on: August 12, 2011, 12:38:17 PM »

Poor journalism IMO, with Hunt, Jarvis, Hammill and Kightly at the club I’d be surprised if Mick is looking at a winger instead of midfield/defence. Good player though McCourt and he looked great in the week for Northern Ireland.

Kicking Pigeons

« Reply #799 on: August 12, 2011, 01:42:20 PM »
    Not a chance. He's the wrong type of Irish.