Author Topic: Karlan Grant  (Read 287562 times)

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Karlan Grant
« Reply #500 on: October 03, 2020, 11:40:23 AM »
Problem is if we don't sign  a striker this weekend, huddersfield and Watford know they've got us and I don't see prices coming down...
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

letmereadposts

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #501 on: October 03, 2020, 11:50:38 AM »
If our plan b in the event of Huddersfield not blinking is the likes of Gray I am disappointed. Slimani or Deeney as a second signing on loan is decent business but as the main Striker poor from the recruitment team imo.

It’s a let down to the fans and Bilic if we are not to secure a young mobile forward. Robinson was a huge fluke thanks to Wilder, I don’t give Albion much credit on that one.

My gut says 13 million or less in realistic add on or up front is good value for Grant. If we go down he is an excellent permanent player for us too. I hope the recruitment team know what they are doing.

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #502 on: October 03, 2020, 11:57:52 AM »
Another option, if we haven't signed anyone by the end of Monday, could be Josh King at Bournemouth.

Can we nab Brooks while we're there?

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #503 on: October 03, 2020, 12:03:38 PM »
can we have a seperate special jokes thread so i don't open a post in hope of a development and instead see ping pong gags? thanks awfully

Well said mate.
We wan't this thread to 'Not Fade Away'
I soon expect Grant to put his foot down and say to Bilic 'I Wanna Be Your Man',.
If that's the case I would expect Huddersfield to realise 'It's All Over Now'
On the other hand if we get Deeney, he'll end up being a 'Beast of Burden'. Deeney will do a job even though he's getting on, but I bet he thinks to himself it's not 'All Over Now' and I still have 'Time On My Side'
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #504 on: October 03, 2020, 12:36:58 PM »
Another option, if we haven't signed anyone by the end of Monday, could be Josh King at Bournemouth.

Can we nab Brooks while we're there?

If only ....

Baggie-Dave

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #505 on: October 04, 2020, 11:16:16 PM »
If the fee Villa paid for Watkins was the reason Huddersfield upped the price for Grant then Watkins  performance tonight won’t have helped our negotiations!

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #506 on: October 04, 2020, 11:51:16 PM »
If the fee Villa paid for Watkins was the reason Huddersfield upped the price for Grant then Watkins  performance tonight won’t have helped our negotiations!

Think tonight may have shown just how much better an all round player Watkins is.   

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #507 on: October 05, 2020, 07:00:39 AM »
Watkins had no Premier league experience but is clearly useful yet we seem obsessed that such experience is necessary.This type of player will be on big wages and probably demand higher wages to move.
There are good strikers without such experience if you do your homework and being on a much lower wage will settle for a lower but much increased wage.
If we buy that sort of player we can off load him as a premiership player if he fails and his wages won't deter the potential buyer and if he is a success we can sell him at a profit'
If we took this sort of action you could probably bring in 2 or 3 players for the price of Grant.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #508 on: October 05, 2020, 07:55:33 AM »
Watkins had no Premier league experience but is clearly useful yet we seem obsessed that such experience is necessary.This type of player will be on big wages and probably demand higher wages to move.
There are good strikers without such experience if you do your homework and being on a much lower wage will settle for a lower but much increased wage.
If we buy that sort of player we can off load him as a premiership player if he fails and his wages won't deter the potential buyer and if he is a success we can sell him at a profit'
If we took this sort of action you could probably bring in 2 or 3 players for the price of Grant.

Examples?  Toney went for £10m +

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #509 on: October 05, 2020, 09:48:06 AM »
Toney was 5m upfront. Rest in performance and bonuses

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #510 on: October 05, 2020, 10:01:00 AM »
We all know it's possible to buy a star player on the cheap.  It's just really really not easy - if it was *every* team would be doing it.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #511 on: October 05, 2020, 10:35:02 AM »
We all know it's possible to buy a star player on the cheap.  It's just really really not easy - if it was *every* team would be doing it.

You are right, it isn't easy, but then neither is brain surgery. It's why only a select few people can do it well. Just like i woupd want the best brain surgeon in charge of an operation on me, I want the best recruitment team at our club that we can possibly get.

I'm not convinced we have that at the moment - not when I look at clubs like Brentford, Metz etc.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #512 on: October 05, 2020, 10:51:36 AM »
Steve Madeley has put out a few tweets this morning saying the feeling is that Bilic would prefer they go all out for Grant, meaning signings today MIGHT be unlikely (due to the EFL window still having 2 weeks to run).

If that's the case, then we better hope Huddersfield are in dire need of finances, because Fulham and Sheff Utd are both in talks to sign Terrence Kongolo so if they get a chunk of money for him, there could be little reason for Huddersfield  to  lower the Grant price.

I now fully expect Andre Gray or Troy Deeney to be the laat remaining signing this summer.
Boing Boing

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #513 on: October 05, 2020, 11:01:59 AM »
I think I'm going to stay off this thread unless he signs for us as it's all becoming boring. And dare I say just a little frustrating and depressing. We're not trying to steal the crown jewels here.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #514 on: October 05, 2020, 11:08:10 AM »
I think I'm going to stay off this thread unless he signs for us as it's all becoming boring. And dare I say just a little frustrating and depressing. We're not trying to steal the crown jewels here.

Yes, maybe not the crown jewels but we're trying to pay with lumps of coal.

Huddersfield are doing to us what JP did for many years.

Sadly, our lazy signings over the years are hitting us. Renewing contracts repeatedly like phillips, Barry, hrk rather than invest in new blood is going to hurt.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #515 on: October 05, 2020, 11:10:20 AM »
Thank the stars we've got 200kpw of 'talent' out of contract at the end of tihs season but genuinely worried how many will be resigned. None is the correct answer but we just know that won't happen.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #516 on: October 05, 2020, 11:54:24 AM »
Steve Madeley has put out a few tweets this morning saying the feeling is that Bilic would prefer they go all out for Grant, meaning signings today MIGHT be unlikely (due to the EFL window still having 2 weeks to run).

If that's the case, then we better hope Huddersfield are in dire need of finances, because Fulham and Sheff Utd are both in talks to sign Terrence Kongolo so if they get a chunk of money for him, there could be little reason for Huddersfield  to  lower the Grant price.

I now fully expect Andre Gray or Troy Deeney to be the laat remaining signing this summer.
However
With the way he has been publicly showing displeasure, add in that the board will have looked at the first few games along with the 2nd half of last season....I wouldn’t be too surprised if the next few signings were more board ...than Slaven .
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #517 on: October 05, 2020, 11:59:12 AM »
Which means they wont get played as Bilic wont play those he doesnt want, which means more money waste, which means the board are not fit for purpose.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #518 on: October 05, 2020, 01:29:30 PM »

As Gray and Deeney are both currently injured I sincerely hope not!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #519 on: October 05, 2020, 01:31:34 PM »
Can't sign both of them can we?

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #520 on: October 05, 2020, 01:32:11 PM »
Assuming we do sign Grant at the end of the window he’s going to need a few weeks to get up to speed. He hasn’t played at all. We need players
In who can hit the ground running starting with the 3 very winnable games coming up.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Singhwba

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #521 on: October 05, 2020, 01:38:44 PM »
We havent been able to sign Grant for the last month, what makes the club think they'll buy him in 2 weeks? Knowing we havent got any real cash to give.
Not just the striker we need. Need a full back and midfielder 100% for me. A striker wont stop us being rubbish in midfield and defence.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #522 on: October 05, 2020, 01:40:59 PM »
We havent been able to sign Grant for the last month, what makes the club think they'll buy him in 2 weeks? Knowing we havent got any real cash to give.
Not just the striker we need. Need a full back and midfielder 100% for me. A striker wont stop us being rubbish in midfield and defence.

But Gallagher, Hegazi and Ivanovic might...

Signing a striker consigns HRK to the bin. I'm all for it.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Singhwba

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #523 on: October 05, 2020, 01:45:17 PM »

Signing a striker consigns HRK to the bin. I'm all for it.

Agree with that. Dont think Bilic will put Hegazi and Ivanovic together though, will be too slow. Lets hope the club get this over the line, rather Grant then Deeney/Gray.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #524 on: October 05, 2020, 01:45:28 PM »

Just, maybe. IF Bilic ever decides to play them.