Author Topic: Play offs  (Read 98557 times)

KN22

• Senior Baggie

Re: Play offs
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2019, 12:37:47 PM »
Villa all day in the play offs now. Form team.......by far. We'll be embarrassed by them if we play them, bit like us vs Wolves in 2006 (oh happy day).....

I agree with all that you say... except the happy day you refer to was in 2007  ;)

cornishbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2019, 05:11:36 PM »
It's geared up for us to have Villa. We had a laugh beating them in the league but I think they'll have the last laugh in the play offs.

That's the spirit!!  :D

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2019, 10:08:19 AM »
This weekend could be decisive. The Villa v Bristol game is huge. It is almost a play-off decider if there is a winner it is very difficult to see that team not making the top 6.

Behind them Boro play Hull who have a slim chance of making top 6 themselves but probably have to beat Boro to make it happen but Boro have to win to close the gap on 6th.

Sheffield United have Millwall at home and will hoping that their rivals Wednesday can get something at Leeds. Wednesday themselves have a slim chance of making the play-offs but can't afford to drop points.

Interesting times

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2019, 03:56:05 PM »
what's the starting 11 for the first leg hopefully with an inspirational coach on board
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2019, 05:10:07 PM »
Looking pretty nailed on that it's Villa in the play offs Semi. I don't think we have a chance over 2 legs, dithering over appointing a manager has cost us, while Villa acted to get the bloke we should have appointed in the summer. Mind you, had we made a proper appointment back then we wouldn't have been in the play offs.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2019, 05:13:40 PM »
Looking pretty nailed on that it's Villa in the play offs Semi. I don't think we have a chance over 2 legs, dithering over appointing a manager has cost us, while Villa acted to get the bloke we should have appointed in the summer. Mind you, had we made a proper appointment back then we wouldn't have been in the play offs.

Villa have taken 1 point off us this season. Fancy us over two legs.

Still waiting to see the messianic Dean Smith achieve anything without Jack Grealish (or against us, with him.)
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2019, 05:15:05 PM »
stay were we are first leg away

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2019, 05:17:48 PM »
whoever we play I will be in Benidorm for the two legs, anyone else there :) back for the final and I shall get a ticket, we don't have 40000 supporters do we

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2019, 05:20:49 PM »

I admit to clutching at straws here, but I think that could work in our favour. vile fans will consider that they only have to turn up and that sometimes rubs off on the players. Complacency is a commodity I hope that the vile have in abundance.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2019, 05:23:11 PM »
Can we close down the 6 point gap on Sheff Utd and take 3rd place?  To do that we need to win all games and them to stumble like today.  Millwall at home is one of the easiest you could have.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2019, 05:27:46 PM »

Still waiting to see the messianic Dean Smith achieve anything without Jack Grealish (or against us, with him.)

We played them under Bruce and again when Dean Smith hadn't had much time to get his ideas across. They've just beat Bristol City without Grealish.

Doesn't matter who we appoint now, not enough time to get anything other that the very basics sorted for the play offs. All on Jenkins' head.

silver surfer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2019, 05:31:39 PM »
I admit to clutching at straws here, but I think that could work in our favour. vile fans will consider that they only have to turn up and that sometimes rubs off on the players. Complacency is a commodity I hope that the vile have in abundance.
complacency? You mean arrogance as per usual? Most the ones I know are trying to work out who they’re going to be playing at Wembley.
I still think they’ll be sweating over 6th place come the last game of the season.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2019, 05:58:34 PM »
We played them under Bruce and again when Dean Smith hadn't had much time to get his ideas across. They've just beat Bristol City without Grealish.

Doesn't matter who we appoint now, not enough time to get anything other that the very basics sorted for the play offs. All on Jenkins' head.

Bruce had been gone 2 months when we drew with them at home and 4 and a half months when we beat them away.

Smith just isn't very good.

Overall: played 30 won 15 drawn 9 lost 6 points 54
With Grealish: played 16 won 12 drawn 2 lost 2 points 38
Without Grealish: played 14 won 3 drawn 7 lost 4 points 16

I can only assume most people don't realise how stark the difference is.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2019, 06:08:00 PM »
I could be wrong but haven't Villa won 8 games in a row and their next 2 games are Bolton and Millwall.
I think Villa are the team to watch out for just by current form alone.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2019, 06:18:28 PM »

Port Vale did the double over us in 1992/93 only for us to beat them 3-0 at Wembley.

Leeds look too good for us so I hope they get second. Villa, Sheff Utd and the rest we can deal with. Not that it's going to be easy.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2019, 06:31:56 PM »
Alex Neil has 2 promotions via the playoffs. I’d suggest that is probably the key driver behind us appointing him.

Either way, I think we go into the play offs as third or even in some circumstances fourth favourites. Whoever misses out from Sheffield Utd/Leeds Utd will be rightly the favourites, and then you have to fancy Villa now that Smith has got them ticking. They have players in Abraham/Grealish who are prem players playing in the championship, and who will be in the England side come September. I would even be wary of a side who makes a late dash for the playoffs like Derby, as if they power through at the end they could be the form side going into the knock outs.

We have a dangerous front 2 - the best in the league (I remember being scoffed at when I suggested we should look to get two strikers who could be capable of getting 20 goals a season - never happens apparently). Behind them though, we are very unstable. Praying that Johansson is now settling in and hope that Phillips can find form and stay fit in these last few games.

I won’t go in with much hope though.

Boing Boing

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2019, 06:48:00 PM »
I'd rather have them over two legs than at Wemberlee, I'd hate to lose to them there.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2019, 06:51:12 PM »
I'd say we're distant 4th favourites because we're by far the least settled team in contention. Villa comfortable favourites, then I think it will be close between Sheff Utd and whichever of Bristol City/Derby/Boro get 6th. If we finalise whatever the plan is for the next manager asap, keep everyone fit and get back to basics defensively we may have a punchers' chance. It's going to have to be a sit back and counter attack job though:

Johnstone
Dawson - Bartley - Hegazi
Holgate - Phillips - Johansen - Brunt - Gibbs
Gayle - Rodriguez

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2019, 07:00:58 PM »
Lets just win the last 4 matches and see where it takes us.

I can't believe people saying we are 4th favourites.  The 6th place team whoever it is are poor.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2019, 07:09:32 PM »
I'd rather have them over two legs than at Wemberlee, I'd hate to lose to them there.

Agreed, definitely don't want to lose to them at Wembley. Best to play them over 2 legs and if we lose we can hope for the other finalist does what we could not.

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2019, 08:16:53 PM »
We are definitely in them,depends on what players we have available,if we get Villa at anypoint just manmark Grealish, I know they won today without him but they wont get promoted without him they aren't that good,our defence just worries me against any team let alone the top 6.
I think we will end up fourth and play Bristol city in Semis and Shan last week lulled them into a false sense of security.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2019, 09:12:56 PM »
There's a tremendous chance that Sheff Utd will collapse in their final 4 matches.  Billy Sharp went off with an injured hamstring today.  Their players must be very, very tired by now having slogged away for 8 months. Wilder said their reserves won't be trusted any longer after a 0-1 loss to Barnet in the FA Cup in January.  It looks like they are limping badly towards the finishing line.  It's imperative we hammer Hull, Reading and Rotherham in the next 3 to really turn up the heat.  A 3rd place finish would be a good outcome for us.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2019, 11:02:04 PM »
Wilder said their reserves won't be trusted any longer after a 0-1 loss to Barnet in the FA Cup in January.

Yep can confirm i lost £500 quid on an acca on this game. Their backups are utter garbage and may they rot in hell.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2019, 11:32:02 AM »
Vile have won 8 games on the trot , Bolton will probably be 9 . Then the rot could set in.

They could just lose momentum as the play offs begin. Millwall will be tough but they could win that one as well. Then they play Leeds away and Norwich at home , then the play offs.

There is no way they will extend their run to 14 games . After the Millwall game they will have some draws and losses.

For me its no a cert that we will play the vile in the semi final of the playoffs.

We won't catch 3rd place and 6th place won't catch us so we will finish 4th or 5th and with the viles form they will finish 4th or 5th . So bring it on !!

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2019, 11:45:56 AM »
Vile have won 8 games on the trot , Bolton will probably be 9 . Then the rot could set in.

They could just lose momentum as the play offs begin. Millwall will be tough but they could win that one as well. Then they play Leeds away and Norwich at home , then the play offs.

There is no way they will extend their run to 14 games . After the Millwall game they will have some draws and losses.

For me its no a cert that we will play the vile in the semi final of the playoffs.

We won't catch 3rd place and 6th place won't catch us so we will finish 4th or 5th and with the viles form they will finish 4th or 5th . So bring it on !!

Leeds might give Villa a game, I think Norwich will be on the beach by their game.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?