Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1745351 times)

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #650 on: June 15, 2014, 11:39:21 PM »
Preston I am told?
Can't say I know one way or the other about that. The Preston page on Wikipedia says: "Moyes left for Everton in March 2002 and his assistant Kelham O'Hanlon took over for the remainder of the season".

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #651 on: June 15, 2014, 11:45:24 PM »
Apparently he is by all means an excellent coach.

Everybody in the game is "highly rated" by those in the game

And fans trot it out without having a clue what any of these guys actually do - or even how to quantify what makes a good coach.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #652 on: June 15, 2014, 11:49:05 PM »
No better than villa fans.... Don't agree with the appointment fair enough but give the bloke a chance. He is appointed now. The board interviewed him and must have seen something. Do you seriously think the bods on the board want to see us fail. Of course they don't!  Every appointment is a risk...maybe we'll have some cash for players

Explain what this 'something' is - or even his positive points?

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #653 on: June 15, 2014, 11:53:15 PM »
I have no doubt most supporters will give the bloke a chance, however anyone who thinks he will not be hung out to dry the minute something goes wrong is deluded.

A bigger name would be afforded more time, for that reason alone the board have made a massive mistake.

I fear a Steve Kean type situation, where Irvine will quickly become the scapegoat.

Please no, the anger directed to Kean was embarrassing. Peace and the board are game on as far as I'm concerned but Irvine as much as I hate this appointment and I really f****** hate it, must be given time to fail. We are better then that, aren't we?

pete

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #654 on: June 15, 2014, 11:55:52 PM »
Please no, the anger directed to Kean was embarrassing. Peace and the board are game on as far as I'm concerned but Irvine as much as I hate this appointment and I really f****** hate it, must be given time to fail. We are better then that, aren't we?
I think if you read most posts they are aimed at JP and the board and not necessarily at AI!  People have stated they dont want him but as far as I am aware they blame JP & the board!
Kiss and make up sex is the best around, after all its better than no sex!

kamarasboot

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #655 on: June 16, 2014, 12:02:13 AM »
After a day for it to sink in I've been trying to get my head around this appointment. The two things I keep coming back to is that this guy came close to getting the job before we appointed RDM 1. How come he's never been deemed good enough since, when we've changed managers 2. What has he done in the time since to improve his cv that he's now the best candidate?!

"He can dish it out, but He cannot take it", I once heard someone say of me. And it's true - I serve school dinners and I'm allergic to mashed potatoes.

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #656 on: June 16, 2014, 12:07:10 AM »
I think if you read most posts they are aimed at JP and the board and not necessarily at AI!  People have stated they dont want him but as far as I am aware they blame JP & the board!

I read an email sent to AI current workplace telling him to eff off and one quickly followed up with welcome to the club. I just want our anger to be aimed at Peace and the board. The anger displayed against Kean was a waste of time and in some cases were uncalled for. Let's not see AI standing on the touch line with people screaming abuse at him behind the dugout. Turn around and aim it at the directors box.

neoblue

• Newcomer

« Reply #657 on: June 16, 2014, 12:12:50 AM »
Hi guys. I'm a Toffee in peace, and certainly no WUM. I wanted to know the consensus of your opinions re AI. I've always had a soft spot for Albion and I was pretty surprised to learn of this appointment. Having chatted to fellow Blues, we're of a similar puzzled outlook. Seems like most think he's a great coach and has worked wonders with everyone from the first team (under early Moyes) down to the Academy more recently. However his managerial stints have been less than convincing. I really hope it works out for you and good luck for the coming season.

kamarasboot

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #658 on: June 16, 2014, 12:13:24 AM »
I read an email sent to AI current workplace telling him to eff off and one quickly followed up with welcome to the club. I just want our anger to be aimed at Peace and the board. The anger displayed against Kean was a waste of time and in some cases were uncalled for. Let's not see AI standing on the touch line with people screaming abuse at him behind the dugout. Turn around and aim it at the directors box.

Problem is I wouldn't put it past Peace not to attend the first few homes games and if they turn out to be bad results they'll be no one in the directors box to aim the abuse at. I'd hate for a Kean situation up there but unfortunately I can see it going that way....
"He can dish it out, but He cannot take it", I once heard someone say of me. And it's true - I serve school dinners and I'm allergic to mashed potatoes.

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #659 on: June 16, 2014, 12:50:00 AM »
Who said I'm basing my judgement on a managerial appointment? You've made that assumption.

Theres clearly no assumption, heres your original post that I replied to, just incase you forgot.

Absolutely horrified by the appointment - been sitting reading through each page of this thread.

People are going to try and put any sort of positive on this, but there are non. Absolutely nothing. The facts are that this was a cheap appointment in a situation where our chairman yet again is unwilling to back down after only a few weeks back apparently seeing the light.

There are no positives to take from this and I can only hope that the fans spit venom at the first opportunity - I can't even imagine the response he's going to get when introduced at our first home game. Irvine will be gone within 5 games, I'm absolutely sure of it.

This is a sickening appointment and signals the end of my close association of Albion, I will no longer be travelling across the country, paying good money to go and watch a club run by a cheap, stubborn chairman.

Alan Irvine - I hope it goes absolutely tits up for you, not because I particular dislike you, but because this club needs a serious shock (apparently last year wasn't enough). You are going to feel the wrath of thousands of angry fans, I don't think there has ever been more pressure on a manager before their first game. You will crumble, we will crumble and hopefully Peace will crumble.

I'm sure you mentioned a managerial appointment somewhere.
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #660 on: June 16, 2014, 01:51:51 AM »
Ok I've had some time to think about this and something wonderful has hit me.
Irvine has been stated as part of a coaching team.... that being said, when we have 3 points from 12 games then the whole coaching team should be fired. That means goodbye Pinky and Perky too!
I'd accept relegation to get those two moved on.

phat_vapor

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #661 on: June 16, 2014, 02:49:23 AM »
After a day for it to sink in I've been trying to get my head around this appointment. The two things I keep coming back to is that this guy came close to getting the job before we appointed RDM 1. How come he's never been deemed good enough since, when we've changed managers 2. What has he done in the time since to improve his cv that he's now the best candidate?!

the only thing i can think of why hes got the job is because hes done a great job at everton youth set up and jp did say in the statement he made he wanted the next head coach to bring through the youth from u21's but i still f****** hate jp
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 03:19:46 AM by Quakes Fan »

Vassassin

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #662 on: June 16, 2014, 05:29:39 AM »
West Bromwich Albion[edit]On 14 June 2014 West Bromwich Albion announced that Irvine would fill their vacant Head Coach role on a 12-month contract,[11] his first management work in the Premier League. He has been referred to as the "Special One" due to his special low cost, lack of ambition appointment by Jeremy Peace.
On Mr. Irvine's Wikipedia page, I had to try and somehow understand his connection to football, clear as mud now.
Return our Parthenon Marbles, we're going nuts without them!

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #663 on: June 16, 2014, 05:34:21 AM »
I believe it was the other way around.. He rejected us.

no he just assumed he had the job and said a couple of things he shouldn't

and when we went and hired RDM he had to change his story to appease the Preston Fan etc...
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #664 on: June 16, 2014, 06:22:45 AM »
One man will ultimately be the fall guy or gain the plaudits but that doesn't necessarily mean he has to provide all the answers. Last year our recruitment was pants and it appears to have been too heavily influenced by Clarke,  he paid the penalty. McDonough became too heavily influenced in the coaching and it was pants, he paid the penalty. A number of players failed to perform and have paidvthe penalty. Peace took too much of a back seat and is paying a penalty with the backlash and criticism. (Its his club, he goes when he wants). Irvine,  for me, is being brought in to do the role that we wanted him first time around for which is to concentrate on the coaching and work with the remainder of the professionals that are appointed within the Club .
Don't want to drag this on but.... at any club, you get individuals disillusioned with various things / not getting picked/ playing out of position/ want a move away / handling personal issues / team arguments / dissent at tactics etc. etc.
It's not possible (or shouldn't be) for Irvine to divorce himself from all this. I view this as the man / team management aspect that someone has to handle....surely that has to be the man at the top in dealing with the team i.e. head coach....he can't just coach and do nothing else.

Ste1987

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #665 on: June 16, 2014, 06:47:24 AM »

Yet another 'short term' appointment by a hire and fire chairman.

There is an interesting piece from an ITV journalist and WBA fan Daniel Hewitt who I have worked with in the past and he's spot on when he says that Albion (aside from RH) under Jeremy Peace have appointed a candidate that is 'grateful' for the opportunity.

Tony Mowbray was a gamble which worked for a time until he got found out in the PL, RDM had never managed higher than League One. SC had never managed but his time working for the likes of Jose Mourinho, Kenny Dalglish and Sir Bobby Robson gave people something to cling on to.

Pepe Mel was grateful of the chance to manage in England and it was seen as a change in philosophy if you like.

This appointment, however, is a complete, utter joke. Name me another club in the PL (or Championship for that matter) who would have appointed Alan Irvine?

That's not me slating Alan Irvine (who is a nice bloke), it's simply the fact that there are many better candidates suited to the role.

Just over two years ago we had the current England manager in charge of first team affairs, so why on earth are we now appointing a guy who got sacked from PNE and got Sheffield Wednesday relegated to League One?

Mid-table Championship club? This is more like a League One appointment, this guy got nowhere near the Wolves post when Kenny Jackett was appointed....that says it all.

Would Brighton & Hove Albion have considered Irvine? In short, they'd have screwed his application up and threw it in the bin immediately!

When Irvine is dismissed I'm going to apply for the job for the following reasons -

1) I've no experience
2) I'm cheap
3) I don't have any assistants to bring with me
4) Happy with loans and Bosmans
5) Will accept the blame when it goes wrong.

See you when I'm appointed.

Absolutely disgraceful 12-18 months at West Bromwich Albion which is not about to get any better in the slightest.

As for Rob Kelly......enough said.

blue

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #666 on: June 16, 2014, 07:02:58 AM »
Whe Dan Ashworth was here , we had a philosophy of playing some good technical football aided by some cheap players with some technical ability.
The acadamy was also srarting to bring players through with some good technical ability,

What happens now with this appointment Alan Irvine is in the david moyes style of coaches

cuckfield1704

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #667 on: June 16, 2014, 07:34:16 AM »
Can't say I know one way or the other about that. The Preston page on Wikipedia says: "Moyes left for Everton in March 2002 and his assistant Kelham O'Hanlon took over for the remainder of the season".

Alan Irvine was first team coach at Preston and the reason that he didn't take over when Moyes left for Everton is that Moyes took him with him as Everton first team coach. A good while later Irvine left Everton to take the manager's job at Preston and then Wednesday and then back to Everton as Academy Director.

slugga1

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #668 on: June 16, 2014, 07:34:49 AM »
My head still hurts,  I just don't get it.  The worst thing about all of this is we are going to fill our squad with players Downing and Irvine want and then be stuck with them when it all goes tits up. We had a really fantastic chance to rejuvenate our entire set up and start how we mean to go on..
Tony Pulis is ...The Equaliser

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #669 on: June 16, 2014, 07:51:44 AM »
Hi guys. I'm a Toffee in peace, and certainly no WUM. I wanted to know the consensus of your opinions re AI. I've always had a soft spot for Albion and I was pretty surprised to learn of this appointment. Having chatted to fellow Blues, we're of a similar puzzled outlook. Seems like most think he's a great coach and has worked wonders with everyone from the first team (under early Moyes) down to the Academy more recently. However his managerial stints have been less than convincing. I really hope it works out for you and good luck for the coming season.

Hi mate, welcome to the board! Seems a lot of Evertonians have soft spots WBA and I for one quite like Everton too, possibly aided by my mega dislike of Liverpool!

Can you shed any light on Irvine for us? Is he seen as responsible for bringing through and developing the strong youth breaking through at Everton. What positives can we take?

Ste1987

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #670 on: June 16, 2014, 07:55:25 AM »
Hi mate, welcome to the board! Seems a lot of Evertonians have soft spots WBA and I for one quite like Everton too, possibly aided by my mega dislike of Liverpool!

Can you shed any light on Irvine for us? Is he seen as responsible for bringing through and developing the strong youth breaking through at Everton. What positives can we take?

You don't need an Everton fan to do that mate. I can...he's desperate.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #671 on: June 16, 2014, 07:55:38 AM »
I tell you what, you see Saints about to employ Koeman, look at his previous clubs and his record at them, then look at who we've got and his record and previous clubs as a manager/head coach and it makes you feel a bit sick. Galling

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #672 on: June 16, 2014, 07:59:04 AM »
According to Colin, Irvine is not a motivator he cant  motivate in a dressing room.So whos going to do the teamtalk.Olsson maybe
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #673 on: June 16, 2014, 08:05:44 AM »
The only thing i disagree with from Albion fans on this board is that there is a positive in all this, We will be playing our real rivals in a year and will get to face off against the wolves something i have missed being in the top flight.

pete

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #674 on: June 16, 2014, 08:06:29 AM »
Welcome and thanks for the best wishes I and the rest of this board fear we will need them!
Kiss and make up sex is the best around, after all its better than no sex!