Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1745337 times)

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #600 on: June 15, 2014, 07:37:56 PM »

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #601 on: June 15, 2014, 07:43:46 PM »
What does that have to do with any of the posts on here ?

To question someones support because they disagree with a decision is just as bad at the other end of the scale.

People are talking on here about taking their bed sheets to games? Same idea as hanging one up on the gates really.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with disagreeing with a decision, the way someone reacts to a decision though can certainly be questioned.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #602 on: June 15, 2014, 07:44:28 PM »
Thats one of the worrying things. We're a club now established in this division but struggling to attract the level of coaches that position should be so theres a problem somewhere that needs addressing. In 12-18 months we will be back in the same position and will replace Irvine with another in the same vein as him, Clarke, RDM etc

As far as I know, we're the only club in the EPL who truly follow the "Head Coach" philosophy. Strategy, at WBA, is determined at board level & coaches are required to develop the tactics to execute the strategy. At all of the other clubs, the "Head Coach" or Manager is heavily involved in developing the strategy.
It's impossible to know for certain, but as far as I can see, the strategic approach for WBA, is to retain our EPL status & have a serious attempt to compete in domestic cup competitions. JP has made it known on a number of occasions that he has no wish for us to compete in the Europa League as the return on investment is too small, & facing an early exit may even cost.
With JP at the helm, we are what we are & unless or until he moves on that's the way it is.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #603 on: June 15, 2014, 07:44:36 PM »
This doesn't really answer my question in the post you highlighted.

A post inferred that Billy Jones, Richard Chaplow, & Craig Beattie had negative opinions regarding AI & I asked for a link, as yet not forthcoming.
I was asking for you to back up your claim that "Irvine is a highly respected coach within the game". It'll take more than a couple of quotes to convince me of that.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #604 on: June 15, 2014, 07:48:01 PM »
People are talking on here about taking their bed sheets to games? Same idea as hanging one up on the gates really.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with disagreeing with a decision, the way someone reacts to a decision though can certainly be questioned.

I take it back about the sheets as there are some now on here.

To question support is out of order and gives out a superior tone.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Rheneas

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #605 on: June 15, 2014, 07:51:41 PM »
The problem that needs addressing is the same problem every time, Downing and Kiely we will not get another decent head coach whilst they are forced to work with those two.

It's less a question of those two and more a question of money.

JP is doing it on the cheap. Again.  We speculated and speculated on these boards over the last few weeks putting forward the names and debating the relative merits of them.

Okay, there was disagreement, but what virtually all of them had in common was that they were realistic choices based on the fact that they either had a reasonable track record and/or experience, or they showed the potential to be up to the job.

And all because he won't spend the money and properly invest in a bloke who has the brains, skill and nous to stabilise this first team, we get this appointment, something none of us saw coming.

I really want Alan Irvine to do well. I don't wish the man ill. And I sure as hell hope he doesn't fall ill trying to perform what's going to be a herculean task.

But for the love of Jesus Christ, his virgin mother, his holy father and all the disciples including Judas, WHY HAS THIS GUY GOT THE GIG?

BECAUSE HE'S A CHEAPER OPTION.

END OF.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #606 on: June 15, 2014, 07:52:20 PM »
I don't think there was any manager they could have picked who would have been welcomed with open arms.......lol
We had one already at the club who 80+% of those who voted here wanted to be allowed to continue this season. That's about as united as it can realistically get for us I would imagine. The percentage might have been even higher still if voters had known at the time that the alternative would be Irvine!

Instead of imaginative, attacking football, delivered by a charismatic head coach, we're going to get a dour defensive approach instead, from a characterless individual who will probably be asking us where our coaching badges are before very long.

johnthebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #607 on: June 15, 2014, 07:58:42 PM »
Oh come on!

No one is asking for a vote, and you will certainly never please everyone.

However, after last season what we needed was renewed hope.

The appointment of Irvine has removed any hope I had for next season, the only way it will return is if Peace provides the 5 or 6 quality players we need.
It was tongue in cheek.....lol.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #608 on: June 15, 2014, 08:05:11 PM »
We had one already at the club who 80+% of those who voted here wanted to be allowed to continue this season. That's about as united as it can realistically get for us I would imagine. The percentage might have been even higher still if voters had known at the time that the alternative would be Irvine!

Instead of imaginative, attacking football, delivered by a charismatic head coach, we're going to get a dour defensive approach instead, from a characterless individual who will probably be asking us where our coaching badges are before very long.

Imaginative attacking football that was an absolute disaster and nearly got us relegated, no thanks we may as well of kept with Mowbray. Mel had an ideal that was attractive to watch until the opposition won possession and scored. He was defensively naive at best.

Protesting before the guy has been given a chance is ridiculous, give him 10 games and lets see how the players respond during close season and in the start.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 08:07:33 PM by BoingFlyer »
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #609 on: June 15, 2014, 08:07:10 PM »
Can we have another new head coach please before we reach 100 pages on this topic.
i would like a new one before we get to 27 pages!!!!!
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #610 on: June 15, 2014, 08:08:19 PM »

Absolutely spot on - where there was hope, now there is none.

Critical Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #611 on: June 15, 2014, 08:19:12 PM »
It's been a good year I think since my last post on here after emigrating out the country and having to observe everything from the outside through media and now really lacking being part of Albion as much as I was for the past 10 seasons I had following the club home and away, but the news on Alan Irvine's appointment has really made me so livid I feel I have to take it out on here.

How on earth can a manager of Irvine's track record at Sheffield Wednesday and PNE ever merit him landing a Premier League managerial position? It's outstanding. I wouldn't be surprised if most Championship football fans were disappointed in this as an appointment for them. It stinks of 'lack of ambition' and again show's Peace to be the penny pinching accountant he truly is. How is this guy ever going to take us forward, how is he the person to rebuild a premier league team from scratch an, get them organised and  get them winning again?

Yet another 'Yes' man to shove in front of the camera's and downgrade our club as something not worth of the Premier League; 'a team punching above their weight'; well Peace will sure have his wish and will be reaping the consequences of losing those riches come next May.

And for the disappointment of those 16,000 naive fans that trusted Peace to turn things around, give us some optimism, give us some hope and a appointment to rally the players and fans alike then appoint nothing more than a puppet coach; shame on you sir, shame on you!

No, it was never Moyes fellow Baggies, we were only ever good enough for his assistant. We wouldn't of minded the Premier League Blackburn winning captain, instead we get the Insurance Broker from Queens Park. SOS.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 08:44:54 PM by Critical Baggie »
Frank Burrows Appreciation Society

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #612 on: June 15, 2014, 08:29:43 PM »
It's been a good year I think since my last post on here after emigrating out the country and having to observe everything from the outside through media and now really lacking being part of Albion as much as I weas for the 10 seasons I had following the club home and away, but the news on Alan Irvine's appointment has really made me so livid I feel I have to take it out on here.

How on earth can a manager of Irvine's track record at Sheffield Wednesday and PNE ever merit him landing a Premier League managerial position. It's outstanding. I wouldn't be surprised if most Championship football fans were disappointed in this as an appointment for them. It stinks of 'lack of ambition' and again show's Peace to be the penny pinching accountant he truly is. How is this guy ever going to take us forward, how is this the person to rebuild a premier league team from scratch and get them organised and winning again?

Yet another 'Yes' man to shove in front of the camera's and downgrade our club as something not worth of the Premier League; 'a team punching above their weight'; well Peace will sure have their wish and will be reaping the consequences of losing those riches come next May. And for the disappointment of those 16,000 naive fans that trusted Peace to turn things around, give us some optimism, give us some hope and a appointment to rally the players and fans alike to appointment nothing more than a puppet coach; shame on you sir, shame on you!

No, it was never Moyes fellow Baggies, we were only ever good enough for his assistant. We wouldn't of minded the Premier League Blackburn winning captain, instead we get the Insurance Broker from Queens Park.

Fantastic post mate. You've clearly saved that up!!
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

WBARoberts

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #613 on: June 15, 2014, 08:35:30 PM »
Sorry mate but you cannot unequivocally state what direction the club is going before Irvine has been in the job 5 minutes.

Who said I'm basing my judgement on a managerial appointment? You've made that assumption.

Foreverbaggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #614 on: June 15, 2014, 08:41:06 PM »
i would like a new one before we get to 27 pages!!!!!

I would like one before we get to the end of page 25.... :-[

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #615 on: June 15, 2014, 08:43:21 PM »

Absolutely cock on Worcs !!!
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #616 on: June 15, 2014, 09:02:29 PM »
One of the things that's wetting me off most is some of our own supporters 'Who do we think we are / who did we think we were going to get?' attitude.

We are about to enter our 5th successive season of Premier League football. Our squad contains men who have played / play international football for England, Argentina, and more. We supplied the current England manager.

Who did I think we were going to get? Somebody who hadn't completely messed up in League 1!

RedHead_Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #617 on: June 15, 2014, 09:06:13 PM »
Someone ain't happy

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=00JhUADQCCY

Brilliant
That is amazing. Cheered me up immensely  :)

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #618 on: June 15, 2014, 09:10:33 PM »
Lets just get this straight for the non-believers

ANY PROTEST MUST BE AGAINST PEACE, NOT IRVINE.

The bloke ( Irvine ) is completely blameless in all of this as at the end of the day, alls he's done is to accept a job offer, FFS, who wouldn't from his position.

HOWEVER,

That useless piece of s*** who offered him the job is the one and only who will be protested against and deserves EVERYTHING that comes his was. The penny pinching, unscrupulous, manipulative, soul destroying b*****d that he is !!

I absolutely detest the bloke for what he has done here. This club has more money than it has EVER had and all we can afford is the youth coach from Everton............unbelievable !!

PROTEST THIS SATURDAY MORNING AT THE CLUB FOR THOSE WITH THE GUMPTION !!!
He's a lad from the Wrenna

WBARoberts

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #619 on: June 15, 2014, 09:16:27 PM »
Lets just get this straight for the non-believers

ANY PROTEST MUST BE AGAINST PEACE, NOT IRVINE.

The bloke ( Irvine ) is completely blameless in all of this as at the end of the day, alls he's done is to accept a job offer, FFS, who wouldn't from his position.

HOWEVER,

That useless piece of s*** who offered him the job is the one and only who will be protested against and deserves EVERYTHING that comes his was. The penny pinching, unscrupulous, manipulative, soul destroying b*****d that he is !!

I absolutely detest the bloke for what he has done here. This club has more money than it has EVER had and all we can afford is the youth coach from Everton............unbelievable !!

PROTEST THIS SATURDAY MORNING AT THE CLUB FOR THOSE WITH THE GUMPTION !!!

A call to arms!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #620 on: June 15, 2014, 09:16:45 PM »
For me if Irvine has any sense he should resign now.He should not have excepted such a position going on his past failings.He knows he is out of his depth.Loose the first 2 games in a negative style that hes likely going to bring with him, its going to be a pressure cooker for him.Stand down now Irvine.
See you Saturday morning folks
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

pau1200

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #621 on: June 15, 2014, 09:18:37 PM »
Ive had to join the forum to vent my anger, Irvine is a poor choice like we all know.
About 20% of the fans will think its an ok appointment, id rather have had mad mick mcarthy has at least you could argue he has experience. Irvine has never been successful as a manger thats why he went back to the youth, you cant argue facts. Hes been appointed because he wont have his own views and will happy coach what he his given, and when he fails he will go back to youth management.

I wish him all the best but the hawthorns will be a hostile place next season towards peace and when the results go against us irvine will feel it too.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #622 on: June 15, 2014, 09:24:06 PM »
One of the things I really don't understand is... we rejected the guy when we appointed Di Matteo. If he is good enough for us now, why wasn't he then?

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #623 on: June 15, 2014, 09:25:54 PM »
One of the things I really don't understand is... we rejected the guy when we appointed Di Matteo. If he is good enough for us now, why wasn't he then?
I believe it was the other way around.. He rejected us.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #624 on: June 15, 2014, 09:31:09 PM »
in my time of attending Albion games we have had just under 30 managers(excluding caretakers), Hagan was the first and this is the most inexplicable appointment of the lot,it is also quite probably in the worst 3 or 4 ability wise. Just over 24 hours later and why Irvine is still as mystifying now as it was at the time >:(
Baggie for life not just for Xmas