Author Topic: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD  (Read 1333740 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD
« Reply #3475 on: August 06, 2019, 12:47:33 AM »
Intrigued to see what Rooney could bring to Derby if he does sign as a player coach. On one hand, he is about to turn 34, and does not exactly subscribe to the typical career extending healthy life style that you think he would need to play deep in to his 30’s, but his goal scoring record has stayed fairly solid both at Everton and in MLS, and in a role behind the striker at this level I think he is more than good enough for a play off side.

Would bring a lot more exposure to the league. Not sure how Derby afford it though.
Boing Boing

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3476 on: August 06, 2019, 07:54:05 AM »
How the hell are Derby going to be able to afford Rooney?? Unless he is dropping his demands due to player/coach role.

I would however love to see him back, still think he would score a lot of goals at Championship level.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #3477 on: August 06, 2019, 01:20:31 PM »
How the hell are Derby going to be able to afford Rooney?? Unless he is dropping his demands due to player/coach role.

I would however love to see him back, still think he would score a lot of goals at Championship level.

Well they've just sold their ground for around £40m and report a £15m profit..

there's money available to them.

Not sure Rooney is the right way to spend it though..

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3478 on: August 06, 2019, 10:17:01 PM »
Reading are breaking their transfer record, making a surprise move to sign George Puscas from Inter, the Romanian forward who starred at the under 21's. 23 years old and 9 goals last season. Not sure if i'd pay the reported 8-10 million euro fee.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3479 on: August 06, 2019, 10:18:08 PM »
Scott Hogan going to Stoke. Hasn't made the level at Villa or Sheff Utd, but did well at Burnley. Could fire in the right environment but can't say i'm fussed that we aren't in for him.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3480 on: August 06, 2019, 10:22:36 PM »
It's also being reported that Bristol City have won the race to take Eddie Nketiah on loan from Arsenal. Really like everything i've seen of him when playing for England and Arsenal. Could light the championship up, although Leeds have also been linked I believe.
Boing Boing

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3481 on: August 06, 2019, 10:27:16 PM »
It's also being reported that Bristol City have won the race to take Eddie Nketiah on loan from Arsenal. Really like everything i've seen of him when playing for England and Arsenal. Could light the championship up, although Leeds have also been linked I believe.

Making some interesting signings at Bristol City it seems. Jay Da Silva looks a bargain, young french lad for good money and possibly Nketiah.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 10:36:35 PM by johnny Cash »

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3482 on: August 07, 2019, 04:52:15 PM »
For me, this season the top 6 will be;

WBA, Fulham, Forest, Boro, Cardiff, Leeds.

In which order i'm not sure ..

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3483 on: August 07, 2019, 05:57:22 PM »
Eddie Nketiah going Leeds. Such a strange choice given the fact they already have 3 brilliant wingers. Maybe they are playing him up front? Great signing all the same. They are going up this year.
Boing Boing

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3484 on: August 07, 2019, 08:10:21 PM »

I've heard there's some fiddling with FFP and some help from the sponsors. Their sponsors are 32Red, Rooney's number is 32. Hm.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3485 on: August 07, 2019, 08:21:29 PM »
I've heard there's some fiddling with FFP and some help from the sponsors. Their sponsors are 32Red, Rooney's number is 32. Hm.

Sold their ground or something to a company owned by the owners haven’t they,

and the sponsors funding some of Rooneys wages, with him becoming a coach they can split his wages and won’t be touched by EPL.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3486 on: August 07, 2019, 10:22:55 PM »
Then look at the shirt sponsors of the two teams in the champ playoff final
Spooky
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3487 on: August 08, 2019, 09:39:42 AM »
Nketia off to Leeds then, will be a good signing based on his pre-season for the backside.....
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3488 on: August 08, 2019, 10:08:24 AM »
For me, this season the top 6 will be;

WBA, Fulham, Forest, Boro, Cardiff, Leeds.

In which order i'm not sure ..

For me, the top half in order:

Leeds
WBA
-----------------
Bristol
Derby
Cardiff
Fulham
-----------------
Forest
Huddersfield
Middlesbrough
Brentford
Sheffield Wed.
QPR

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3489 on: August 08, 2019, 11:15:46 PM »
Reading have had a decent window as well. Brentford, Stoke, Britsol City, Fulham, Leeds all look strong. Slightly less worried about Huddersfield and Cardiff who have had weird windows though.
Boing Boing

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3490 on: August 09, 2019, 12:35:33 AM »
Can't see past us after today's acquisitions. People tipping Stoke again need there heads read. Go and have a look on the Oatcake. They're more concerned with staying up.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3491 on: August 09, 2019, 02:35:17 AM »
With the opening weekend results in and the window closed I will stick my neck out and say I haven't got a clue how things will pan out. The following is Paddy Power odds to win the Championship which is a handy ranking with my comments

Top 6

Leeds 5/2      Fair enough don't disagree with this looking like clear favourites imperious against Bristol 5/2 is too short

Fulham 6/1   Team looks strong on paper I have my doubts about Parker and the defence top 6 for sure 2nd probably not

West Brom 8/1 Good price I would say should be slightly ahead of Fulham in this market at maybe 7/1 with Fulham at 8/1

Cardiff 11/1   No really don't like should be a lot longer I think their inability to keep the ball a bigger factor than Warnock's shithosery would not back for a playoff place

Derby 14/1 About right thought they looked good against Huddersfield absolutely no idea about the Rooney factor the circus might derail their season as easily as it could inspire a tilt at the title

Brentford 16/1 Would be a lot more bullish about their chances had they kept Maupay as it stands would like a couple of extra points on the price but would still go with top 6

Challenger 6

Stoke 20/1 Still look a bit of a mess poor against QPR can't get behind this price I'd give them a top half finish price should be closer to 30/1

Middlesbrough 22/1 About right rookie management team a decent squad going to blow hot and cold could be dark horses for a play off spot.

Sheff Wed 25/1 There are better teams with longer odds unless I am missing something would have thought they should be significantly longer odds.

Huddersfield 25/1 I would probably have these ahead of Cardiff certainly until they loaned out Mooy but they have replaced with him with Trevoh Chalobah who I admire greatly still think they will make top 6

Bristol City 25/1 Was much more bullish about their prospects until I saw them against Leeds think they needed to strengthen defensively having lost Webster not sure about signing Afobe probably about right could be a little shorter

Nottm Forest 30/1 This seems about right for Forest squad is a mess new manager needs to figure out a starting XI might be a slow burn or even no burn at all.

Mid 6

Swansea 30/1 I'd bump these up a few places in the betting not top six but not bottom half. Young squad could improve dramatically

Preston 40/1 About right if all the stars align might breakout of mid table but would be surprised if they made a significant tilt at the play-offs

Luton 50/1 No should be longer not that much faith in Jones and they aren't any better than Barnsley or certainly Hull who are much longer odds.

Birmingham 50/1 I never rated Monk so losing him does not seem such a blow Che Adams though will be missed, won't be relegated but nor will they breakout out of mid table

QPR 50/1 A few weeks back I would have had them as relegation candidates a few okay signings a win at Stoke and this seems about right.

Blackburn 50/1 Going forward good defensively shocking love Tony Mowbray but this is a fair price.

Desperate 6

Wigan 55/
1 About right maybe a little longer don't think they are that much better than most of the other relegation contenders although do like they have signed Lowe.

Millwall 55/1 Will grind out points will be obdurate won't go down but won't trouble the top half of the league either.

Barnsley 90/1 Way too long will do better than this price suggests would tip to finish higher than Luton

Hull 90/1 Not sure they are a whole lot weaker than the team that finished mid table although the vibes aren't good

Reading 100/1 Have strengthened during the window but they were terrible for a large part of last year still think they will struggle but should be a little shorter than Charlton

Charlton 100/1 Never thought this would be anything other than a tough season despite an opening day win and a few more bodies through the door think they will struggle but probably shouldn't be that far behind
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 02:40:46 AM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3492 on: August 09, 2019, 07:53:34 AM »
Hadn't realised that Bobby Reid was a late Cardiff departure to Fulham. He wanted to leave as Warnock's style didn't suit him. Difficult to see them doing anything more than maybe just scraping into the play-offs. There could be a prem hangover and Warnock is sounding jaded.

It looks like Leeds, Fulham and ourselves are the three favorites with Derby, Boro and Stoke next for me.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3493 on: August 09, 2019, 09:01:44 AM »
I'm really surprised Reading are 100-1. They have spent a lot of money this window and have bought in some real quality. I'd have them as dark horses for the play offs. If their loan army click they won't be anywhere near the bottom 6.

Also on Brentford, the loss of Maupay is possibly a killer, as i'm not convinced they have replaced the goals, but they have bought in Pontus Jansson who is one of the best defenders in the league, while Mbuemo is supposed to be one of the top young French talents on the market.

Both of those 2 could creep into the play off picture.

Boing Boing

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3494 on: August 09, 2019, 02:49:56 PM »
us and Fulham direct
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3495 on: August 09, 2019, 03:11:47 PM »
Fulham have a strong squad and will have money to spend in January for additional recruits if needed, no doubt.

But for me, whilst I like Scott Parker, his managerial experience, 6 months I believe, may be found wanting in his first full season as a manager and managing in a very demanding and competitive league with high fan expectations.

He could be the first Championship managerial casualty.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3496 on: August 09, 2019, 03:12:08 PM »
Dark horses for play offs IMO are Sheff.  Wednesday, dependent on what happens with managerial situation. Unusually I fi d it difficult to pick out who the strugglers will be,  most of those who I thought could have problems had good results last weekend
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3497 on: August 09, 2019, 03:14:51 PM »
I'm really surprised Reading are 100-1. They have spent a lot of money this window and have bought in some real quality. I'd have them as dark horses for the play offs. If their loan army click they won't be anywhere near the bottom 6.

Also on Brentford, the loss of Maupay is possibly a killer, as i'm not convinced they have replaced the goals, but they have bought in Pontus Jansson who is one of the best defenders in the league, while Mbuemo is supposed to be one of the top young French talents on the market.

Both of those 2 could creep into the play off picture.

Very much agree with this and think Bristol City will be slightly better than those odds above suggest.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3498 on: August 09, 2019, 04:02:47 PM »

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3499 on: August 09, 2019, 05:14:14 PM »
Some interesting transfers in the championship, and a fair few I think I’ll be keeping my eye on for one reason or another, other than ours and ours on loan.

Chalobah - Huddersfield (loan)
Nketiah - Leeds (loan)
Bielik - Derby
Jay DaSilva - Bristol City
Han Noah Massengo - Bristol City
Bryan Mbeumo - Brentford
Tom Bayliss - Preston
Sunjic - Blues
Crowley - Blues
Puscas - Reading

The above are 10 to watch in my opinion