Author Topic: Criticism of our players  (Read 4724 times)

Westie

• Youth Baggie

Criticism of our players
« on: April 14, 2019, 09:02:13 PM »
I really don’t get it with some of our ‘fans’, criticising some of our players regardless of their efforts on the pitch. Many just seem to love having a go at JRod, he’s only managed 21 goals so far this season and has run his socks off in every game he’s played. HRK is another, always puts in 100%, yet rarely receives any credit. Anyone remember a player of ours of not too many years back who also ran his socks off every game but was not blessed with the greatest skill and rarely scored a goal? We fans absolutely loved the bloke. AJ, Andy Johnson. Perhaps some of you may inform me why our current players do not receive such praise for all their efforts and sweat. I am so glad that JRod plays for us, by all accounts a good bloke, too. Chris Brunt, did I omit to mention him? Beyond criticism, in my opinion, often played out of his best position, always gives his best, yet some love to give him stick; a club hero.

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

Re: Criticism of our players
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 09:22:04 PM »
I think too many people read into us having the "best "team in the league. With that were the expectations of we would be in the top two without too much trouble.
A lot of our team have stellar reputations but they are approaching the end of their careers and their performances are not what they once were. The biggest problem IMO is that we have seen these same players regularly played out of position along with some questionable tactics e.g playing out from the back when we really don't have a decent backline to achieve this.
Along the way there has also been some poor performances and an apparent lack of desire during some of our defeats.
Criticism is not the way to support the team, I myself have been critical of Brunt during the season for some costly mistakes. All credit to him as his return to the starting 11 has shown some performances we were accustomed to.
I think there is a genuine feeling of disappointment and the loss of Harvey Barnes mid season has soured what many; including myself; thought would be a more successful season.
We do need to get behind the players and JRod's return of 21 goals is a lot of the reason we are in the playoff positions.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 09:30:29 PM »
Not sure you're right in saying 'fans' like that. Just because their opinion is different to yours. Fans are entitled to an opinion, whether they are season ticket holders or arm chair fans. Some may have more credibility if they attend more matches because they get to see a better all round picture. But does that mean that their opinion is correct? Not necessarily.

Some may have family ties to the club but don't necessarily know a great deal about football. Others have a deep tactial understanding.

A few times in the past I've thought "why didn't he intercept that ball, he's right by it!" but then after seeing it on TV I realise the ball was about 15 yards away from the player.

Fans in general just want their team to do well and when they don't they look for reasons. For example, it's easy to blame Johnstone for continuing to pass out from the back, but then yoy discover he's been told to do that it suddenly changes to "well who's fault is it... The Boss!"

And sometimes, players make costly errors, like when Brunt came on against Boro and gifted them their winning goal. Though I think SJ was also to blame for not coming to collect it... See, so many sides...

And finally, some people just like to moan. There's a few in the stadium who bemoan every pass. That's just the way some people are.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 11:26:14 PM »
Nobody is perfect all of the time.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 11:33:31 PM »
Not sure you're right in saying 'fans' like that. Just because their opinion is different to yours. Fans are entitled to an opinion, whether they are season ticket holders or arm chair fans. Some may have more credibility if they attend more matches because they get to see a better all round picture. But does that mean that their opinion is correct? Not necessarily.

Some may have family ties to the club but don't necessarily know a great deal about football. Others have a deep tactial understanding.

A few times in the past I've thought "why didn't he intercept that ball, he's right by it!" but then after seeing it on TV I realise the ball was about 15 yards away from the player.

Fans in general just want their team to do well and when they don't they look for reasons. For example, it's easy to blame Johnstone for continuing to pass out from the back, but then yoy discover he's been told to do that it suddenly changes to "well who's fault is it... The Boss!"

And sometimes, players make costly errors, like when Brunt came on against Boro and gifted them their winning goal. Though I think SJ was also to blame for not coming to collect it... See, so many sides...

And finally, some people just like to moan. There's a few in the stadium who bemoan every pass. That's just the way some people are.

I do feel though that we have more of this type of fan than most teams, which is really frustrating. Yes have a moan every now and then but back the team.

I had a ST a few years back next to one bloke who consistently moaned about everything and then didn't chear or stand up when we scored, what is the point!

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 02:01:40 AM »
I do feel though that we have more of this type of fan than most teams, which is really frustrating. Yes have a moan every now and then but back the team.

I had a ST a few years back next to one bloke who consistently moaned about everything and then didn't chear or stand up when we scored, what is the point!

Not really. It's about average. My job takes me around the country and when there's a match on by where I am then I pop along to the game if time permits. Most of the time it's a lower league match and the amount of moaning that goes on is unreal. I have a chat to the locals and it's always "why are you punishing yourself by coming to watch this?"

Humans just moan lol.

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 11:24:54 AM »
I really don’t get it with some of our ‘fans’, criticising some of our players regardless of their efforts on the pitch. Many just seem to love having a go at JRod, he’s only managed 21 goals so far this season and has run his socks off in every game he’s played. HRK is another, always puts in 100%, yet rarely receives any credit. Anyone remember a player of ours of not too many years back who also ran his socks off every game but was not blessed with the greatest skill and rarely scored a goal? We fans absolutely loved the bloke. AJ, Andy Johnson. Perhaps some of you may inform me why our current players do not receive such praise for all their efforts and sweat. I am so glad that JRod plays for us, by all accounts a good bloke, too. Chris Brunt, did I omit to mention him? Beyond criticism, in my opinion, often played out of his best position, always gives his best, yet some love to give him stick; a club hero.

Andy Johnson was utter rubbish. The consummate headless chicken.
The only difference between then and now is that I now have the luxury of inflicting my negative opinions upon you via the medium of the internet.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 12:02:10 PM »
Criticism is part of life.
We all get criticised at some time, both justly and unjustly.
The players will have to deal with it the same as the rest of us, who get an awful lot less money for the pleaseure.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 02:03:41 PM »
HRK is another, always puts in 100%, yet rarely receives any credit. Anyone remember a player of ours of not too many years back who also ran his socks off every game but was not blessed with the greatest skill and rarely scored a goal? We fans absolutely loved the bloke. AJ, Andy Johnson. Perhaps some of you may inform me why our current players do not receive such praise for all their efforts and sweat.

What does HRK deserve credit for exactly? Putting in 100%? That should be a given for any professional footballer.

Lets not distract ourselves from the fact he is a below average footballer in this division - let alone the Premier League. His contribution level over the last two years is testament to that.

Your comparison to Andy Johnson is also unjust as the context of both is entirely different. Andy Johnson last played a game for us what must be 15 years ago. He made his debut 18 years ago.

The position of football and this football club has changed dramatically since then and merely running about with a bit of effort is not enough anymore. Furthermore, when Johnson did join we barely had a pot to **** in to afford anyone of any real ability.

We've had around 10 years in the Premier League since Johnson last played for this club - forgive the fans wanting and expecting a bit more quality, with the riches that division has brought, than a work horse whom we signed because he scored a good goal at the Euros.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 06:56:42 PM »
Yeah, if I was put out there I'd give 100% too, doesn't mean I'm worthy of a place or should be excluded from criticism.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 07:29:26 PM »
Andy Johnson was utter rubbish. The consummate headless chicken.
The only difference between then and now is that I now have the luxury of inflicting my negative opinions upon you via the medium of the internet.
your opinion, my opinion No he was not utter rubbish gave his all for club and Country.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 08:25:52 PM »

Great post, agree with all of that.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 02:58:12 PM »

You’ve won, well done - Good post

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 03:01:00 PM »
Nobody is perfect all of the time.

But plenty of our fans want our players to be. ;)
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 05:48:48 PM »
This board is a perfect home for the (angry) pessimist.
Why do I say that?
A current example....
Should we be happy with getting into the play-offs, given the travails of the season? Maybe.
However, it would appear that most posters do not think we will prosper, but will indeed be embarrassed by the other contenders.

I too have major reservations about some of our players, but find it very depressing that posters leap into action to denigrate our guys in such a regular and vitriolic fashion.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 09:11:59 PM »
Why do I say that?
A current example....
Should we be happy with getting into the play-offs, given the travails of the season? Maybe.
However, it would appear that most posters do not think we will prosper, but will indeed be embarrassed by the other contenders.

I too have major reservations about some of our players, but find it very depressing that posters leap into action to denigrate our guys in such a regular and vitriolic fashion.

I actually think the players are capable however last season they mis-calculated by a couple of games,
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 12:54:52 AM »
I actually think the players are capable however last season they mis-calculated by a couple of games,
That was last season though. A new story is about to unfold. Let’s try and look forward, eh? ;D
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2019, 09:23:03 AM »
This board is doing a service by allowing people to moan outside the game.
During the game we should be encouraging the team.  From juniors to the seniors it's the same: booing at your team doesn't work; it takes away what little confidence there might be.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2019, 10:00:32 AM »
This board is doing a service by allowing people to moan outside the game.
During the game we should be encouraging the team.  From juniors to the seniors it's the same: booing at your team doesn't work; it takes away what little confidence there might be.

I think this is the thing that our wider fanbase don't understand. The booing at half time if we're losing (or even if we're 0-0 sometimes) is detrimental. Save your derisory booing for after/outside the game. Not during it!
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2019, 11:53:40 AM »
Why do I say that?
A current example....

Its the perfect board for those who are not happy to have a vent and those that happy to state that also and those that are a bit of a mixed opinion to state that as well. Always has been, always will be.

Some cannot see any fault with the club ever, some cannot see any good with the club and some see it as a bit of good, bit of a mess and sit in the middle on some things.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

stuvetti

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2019, 12:03:19 PM »
You regularly hear "I pay my entrance money and so am entitled to boo and express my opinion.

I often wonder how these people would fare if their customers came to the workplace and bayed at and harangued them as they went about their job. Would it be motivating in the long term?

To play football and have your every move dissected by thousands is a pressure environment. You will do better if relaxed and the crowd are on your side. Some players I could mention are criticised for who they are and not how they have played and that must be incredibly demotivating.

We are supposed to be football "supporters" and so it is in the name.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2019, 12:49:02 PM »
You regularly hear "I pay my entrance money and so am entitled to boo and express my opinion.

I often wonder how these people would fare if their customers came to the workplace and bayed at and harangued them as they went about their job. Would it be motivating in the long term?

To play football and have your every move dissected by thousands is a pressure environment. You will do better if relaxed and the crowd are on your side. Some players I could mention are criticised for who they are and not how they have played and that must be incredibly demotivating.

We are supposed to be football "supporters" and so it is in the name.

I totally agree with this. In 50 years of attending I have never booed one of our players. I have moaned after many a game of course. That's part and parcel of a fan's lot but lets back whoever is picked, we cant change it after all.