Author Topic: Psychologically weak?  (Read 3414 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Psychologically weak?
« on: February 03, 2018, 06:31:07 PM »
The villa double header
Astle day
Regis day
When the club is in a high pressure environment, the players seem to bottle it, have we got a psychological problem?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Psychologically weak?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 06:35:57 PM »
Yes, I said this today. We seem to have lost any killer instinct and have a losing mentality.

Fletcher's time was up as a footballer but he was about the last player with winning mentality

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 01:04:51 PM »
The villa double header
Astle day
Regis day
When the club is in a high pressure environment, the players seem to bottle it, have we got a psychological problem?

I've long said that our players have the mental stability of a bag of drowning rats. However if they were more consistent, they wouldn't be playing for us.

Psychological issues are just part of wider problems with us I'm afraid.

Backofthenet

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 01:10:26 PM »
No --just weak --- everywhere. Tired now apparently poor souls. Must be absolutely draining running round after a ball a couple of times a week. And all that money to lug about as well, awful.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 02:57:53 PM »
Look how many points we've throw away from winning positions this season.  If we'd held onto just half the points (which would still be poor), we'd be comfortable mid table.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 03:19:30 PM »
No, I don't think so. I think we've been majorly hamstrung by injuries to important players at the wrong times as well as changing our playing style midway through the season. Southampton was poor but we can't ignore the good performances we've had prior to that game.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 03:26:25 PM »
No, I don't think so. I think we've been majorly hamstrung by injuries to important players at the wrong times as well as changing our playing style midway through the season. Southampton was poor but we can't ignore the good performances we've had prior to that game.

Southampton were head and shoulders above us in the passing department.
Ward Prowse and Lemina drove them forward at every opportunity, the side we put out on Saturday would have struggled in the Championship
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 03:40:40 PM »
Yes we are weak.
It didn't even need Southampton to score, we were backing off and bricking it as soon as we scored.
The whole team looks petrified. I've never seen such a lack of belief and for me it's down to 3 or 4 years of Pulis and his cowardice but Pardew should be capable of snapping them out of it! Brighton and Liverpool could and should have been the catalyst to kick on but, yet again, the occasion got to them and the fear of losing took over.

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 03:47:05 PM »
Yes we are weak.
It didn't even need Southampton to score, we were backing off and bricking it as soon as we scored.
The whole team looks petrified. I've never seen such a lack of belief and for me it's down to 3 or 4 years of Pulis and his cowardice but Pardew should be capable of snapping them out of it! Brighton and Liverpool could and should have been the catalyst to kick on but, yet again, the occasion got to them and the fear of losing took over.

This is right, you'd have thought an early goal against a struggling side in even worse form than ourselves would have given us some impetus to push on and put the game to bed but we stopped playing immediately. It was a totally flat performance matched by an equally flat atmosphere in the stands. Whether there was too much focus on the whole Cyrille occasion I don't know? It was as if the game was a sort of afterthought. I think psychologically we are weak and the players desperately lacking in confidence in their own ability.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 04:00:50 PM »
coming out the ground after the match i thought if we had played at Southampton under similar circumstances, ie the tribute to a former Saints player and  a full house plus conceding in the first 5 minutes we would have been hammered,they would have just kept coming at us yet we just whimpered into our soft shells.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 04:25:24 PM »
coming out the ground after the match i thought if we had played at Southampton under similar circumstances, ie the tribute to a former Saints player and  a full house plus conceding in the first 5 minutes we would have been hammered,they would have just kept coming at us yet we just whimpered into our soft shells.

I think there are strong parallels with England, for some reason when it REALLY matters we become frightened to go for the jugular - Why? god only knows!
Albion Family !!!

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 06:32:18 PM »
Agree with the opening post! Along with a lot of recent threads a recurring theme of typical Albion traits keep appearing.
However, funnily enough another is that we'd probably be better off playing away from the Hawthorns where the expectation/pressure is less! Clutching at straws here lol
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2018, 12:57:37 PM »
I raised this back in February and we can now add another to the list below, Sell out, 1st game in chumps,  It seems the problem persists, Anyone know if we do have a psychologist contracted to the club?

The villa double header
Astle day
Regis day
Bolton at Home
Albion Family !!!

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2018, 01:01:20 PM »
seems to be an Albion trait amongst many others - it's been like it for as long as I can remember - it's like the skinflint tag ok we've spent more in recent times but you have to ask why do we fans always say the same! same old Albion - the truth sticks!
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2018, 01:05:20 PM »
I raised this back in February and we can now add another to the list below, Sell out, 1st game in chumps,  It seems the problem persists, Anyone know if we do have a psychologist contracted to the club?

The villa double header
Astle day
Regis day
Bolton at Home

I don't think we have, as such, but all of the (unnecessary IMO) hype gifts the impetus to the opposition.
It's an unnecessary pressure pot environment we create.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2018, 01:08:07 PM »

The villa double header
Astle day
Regis day
Bolton at Home

Ben Foster said on the Channel 4 program that he felt all clubs should have one, which kind of gave the impression that we don't. Which would explain a lot of our mental fragility over the last few years.