Author Topic: Salomon Rondon joins Dalian Yifang  (Read 1131171 times)

vrabbit

• Youth Baggie

Re: Salomon Rondon
« Reply #2275 on: June 09, 2017, 03:21:25 PM »
Having checked back through this thread it’s pretty clear to me that we need a goal scoring centre forward. Not just any goal scoring centre forward though but one who can hold the ball up for an age while awaiting support, bring others into play, run the channels, cross a ball with greater accuracy than those currently employed to do so, get on the end of his own crosses and convert said chances at a rate better than one in two while playing on the break from left back.

One who can single-handedly fend off the attentions of an entire defence, leaps like a salmon and heads the ball with such force and accuracy as to make a cruise missile blush. A real man, one who can defend opposing corners then attacks the near post when we have our own, selflessly freeing up space for our onrushing centre halves. One who can run and run until his lungs are fit to burst and not merely fall in an exhausted heap when the opposing centre half leans all over him yet again.

One who reflects with Zen like wisdom at his own short comings due to his mastery of statistical analysis, feels compelled to better himself in every aspect of strength training, stamina, aerodynamics and to do all of this with the finesse of a ballerina and the gentle touch of a feather. He should remain calm under pressure and never flap, yet be able to fly across continents under his own steam thus reducing the time needed between training sessions when returning from international duty. Sleep is for wimps anyway.

But most importantly of all he must thus far have escaped the attentions of the world wide scouting networks employed by those at the very top the game, and he must be cheap with a liking for black pudding, faggots and grey peas with bacon, and perhaps even a smattering of tripe which he will gleefully accept as reward for his endeavours.

I don’t expect much from the Albion this transfer window but the above is a given in my book. Anyone who cannot fulfill said criteria is by definition a useless tosser and unworthy of our iconic and world famous blue and white shirt.

Now stop fkn about and go get him Hammond  ;)  ;)  ;) .

Holy smokes you just became my favorite poster LMAO

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2276 on: June 09, 2017, 04:00:16 PM »
Having checked back through this thread it’s pretty clear to me that we need a goal scoring centre forward. Not just any goal scoring centre forward though but one who can hold the ball up for an age while awaiting support, bring others into play, run the channels, cross a ball with greater accuracy than those currently employed to do so, get on the end of his own crosses and convert said chances at a rate better than one in two while playing on the break from left back.

One who can single-handedly fend off the attentions of an entire defence, leaps like a salmon and heads the ball with such force and accuracy as to make a cruise missile blush. A real man, one who can defend opposing corners then attacks the near post when we have our own, selflessly freeing up space for our onrushing centre halves. One who can run and run until his lungs are fit to burst and not merely fall in an exhausted heap when the opposing centre half leans all over him yet again.

One who reflects with Zen like wisdom at his own short comings due to his mastery of statistical analysis, feels compelled to better himself in every aspect of strength training, stamina, aerodynamics and to do all of this with the finesse of a ballerina and the gentle touch of a feather. He should remain calm under pressure and never flap, yet be able to fly across continents under his own steam thus reducing the time needed between training sessions when returning from international duty. Sleep is for wimps anyway.

But most importantly of all he must thus far have escaped the attentions of the world wide scouting networks employed by those at the very top the game, and he must be cheap with a liking for black pudding, faggots and grey peas with bacon, and perhaps even a smattering of tripe which he will gleefully accept as reward for his endeavours.

I don’t expect much from the Albion this transfer window but the above is a given in my book. Anyone who cannot fulfill said criteria is by definition a useless tosser and unworthy of our iconic and world famous blue and white shirt.

Now stop fkn about and go get him Hammond  ;)  ;)  ;) .

We've already got that in Rondon though haven't we I'm lead to believe?

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2277 on: June 09, 2017, 04:04:39 PM »
We've already got that in Rondon though haven't we I'm lead to believe?

If only we did!

We should get Anichebe back! ... He would be a way better striker than rondon is according to the all important stats... or we could even go for crouch or benteke  ;D

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2278 on: June 09, 2017, 04:09:54 PM »
As I keep saying, I'm still yet to see us linked with anyone who would do a better job in the Pulis set-up.

I'm still open to suggestions, think the guy who said we should loan Diego Costa on the transfer thread was the only one that would actually be a step up...

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2279 on: June 09, 2017, 04:11:11 PM »
As I keep saying, I'm still yet to see us linked with anyone who would do a better job in the Pulis set-up.

I'm still open to suggestions, think the guy who said we should loan Diego Costa on the transfer thread was the only one that would actually be a step up...

And I'm still yet to see anyone tell me what Rondon does that no one else possibly could do?

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2280 on: June 09, 2017, 05:06:41 PM »
And I'm still yet to see anyone tell me what Rondon does that no one else possibly could do?
he does plenty that Lambert Berahino & Anichibe couldn't/wouldn't do.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2281 on: June 09, 2017, 05:10:27 PM »
he does plenty that Lambert Berahino & Anichibe couldn't/wouldn't do.

Such as? Again still none the wiser.

vrabbit

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2282 on: June 09, 2017, 05:13:03 PM »
Omg!! Gabriel jesus!! That is unreal!

on the wrong side of that 78% on that one

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2283 on: June 09, 2017, 05:39:11 PM »
Such as? Again still none the wiser.
lambert couldn't run. anichibe was never fit and berahino was just a twonk. 3 things you couldn't accuse Rondon of.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2284 on: June 09, 2017, 05:46:00 PM »
lambert couldn't run. anichibe was never fit and berahino was just a twonk. 3 things you couldn't accuse Rondon of.

So again Rondon's best assets are:

1. He can run
2. He doesn't get injured
3. He's a nice guy

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2285 on: June 09, 2017, 06:11:22 PM »

1. He can run
3. He's a nice guy

Back to back top scorer in a side that actively sets up without the intention of the striker being the main attacking threat. Does a very good job of holding the ball up and attempting to bring others into play, considering he is the most isolated player in the league.

I suppose it depends on whether you base your opinion on stats, which aren't comparable between different players and teams due to an endless amount of independent variables, or whether you watch the player and the extremely difficult job he is asked to do across a 38 game season and appreciate that he is actually pretty effective at doing it.

We'd all love a prime Odemwingie going past players and creating chances from nothing, but under Pulis and the way we currently set up he wouldn't be at all suited to the lone striker role, wouldn't be able to bring the ball down or hold it up when isolated and, consequently, wouldn't see enough of the ball to score a load of goals.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2286 on: June 09, 2017, 06:14:10 PM »

1. He can run
3. He's a nice guy
yep,3 things he does better than three former strikers. you asked for 1 .

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2287 on: June 09, 2017, 06:52:16 PM »
yep,3 things he does better than three former strikers. you asked for 1 .

God help us if that's all we ask for in our strikers.

Back to back top scorer in a side that actively sets up without the intention of the striker being the main attacking threat. Does a very good job of holding the ball up and attempting to bring others into play, considering he is the most isolated player in the league.

I suppose it depends on whether you base your opinion on stats, which aren't comparable between different players and teams due to an endless amount of independent variables, or whether you watch the player and the extremely difficult job he is asked to do across a 38 game season and appreciate that he is actually pretty effective at doing it.

We'd all love a prime Odemwingie going past players and creating chances from nothing, but under Pulis and the way we currently set up he wouldn't be at all suited to the lone striker role, wouldn't be able to bring the ball down or hold it up when isolated and, consequently, wouldn't see enough of the ball to score a load of goals.

That's a stat isn't it? Suppose it's ok to use that one then?

Maybe we should start using something different than points to determine league positions if it's unfair to compare different teams that set up differently and have different players
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 07:02:34 PM by TheBrom »

Astle1968

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2288 on: June 10, 2017, 10:58:09 AM »

If you're comparing him to Costa, Kane, Lukaka then he does very little they don't do.

If you're comparing him to Championship and League 1 strikers then theres very little they can do that Rondon can't

If your comparing him to his peers such as Defoe, Austin, Long, Gray then theres stuff they do better than Rondon and stuff he does better than them.

Are you saying you genuinely can't see a single attribute in Rondon that makes him capable of performing at PL level?

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2289 on: June 10, 2017, 06:02:29 PM »
If you're comparing him to Costa, Kane, Lukaka then he does very little they don't do.

If you're comparing him to Championship and League 1 strikers then theres very little they can do that Rondon can't

If your comparing him to his peers such as Defoe, Austin, Long, Gray then theres stuff they do better than Rondon and stuff he does better than them.

Are you saying you genuinely can't see a single attribute in Rondon that makes him capable of performing at PL level?

Again, another reply that doesn't actually say what he's done well this season? Still waiting. I asked earlier in the year and no one could give me anything either. Seems to me he's just making the numbers up?

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2290 on: June 10, 2017, 07:58:16 PM »
Again, another reply that doesn't actually say what he's done well this season? Still waiting. I asked earlier in the year and no one could give me anything either. Seems to me he's just making the numbers up?
Actually Brom I did give you a reply to this probably in January and you said thanks for actually listing some things. I can't summon the energy to trawl back through the pages to find it. I will concede that his form in terms of goal scoring wasn't good enough from Jan onwards. I have said several times since that he missed Phillips more than anyone (service, close support, and the closest thing we have in the 'regular' team to a second striker).
I'll also stick with my view that Rondon needs a month with his feet up - I think he's still on Venezuela duty at the moment and its about 23 days to the start of pre-season.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

wabooz

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #2291 on: June 10, 2017, 08:10:03 PM »
Haven't been involved in the discussion at all but think Rondon has a really rough deal trying to play with almost no support from attacking midfielders. That's the end of it for me, he's got some ability, he has good games and bad games - but overall he just has very little to work with. Whether he holds the ball up or not, there's nobody running past him to receive it - backwards is the only way he can ever go.

But, I think that's the biggest problem with our team in general, rarely do our midfielders try to take on a man, rarely do our midfielders make attacking runs, rarely do our midfielders even bother to take two steps away from the opposition marking them. Hell will rain down from the skies before our players actually want the ball and come and show for it, or move into space and give the man on the ball multiple options.

For me, that's it in a nutshell, very limited bravery and willingness to attack, just sideways passes and loitering behind opposition players hoping that they don't get passed to. It's very easy to shut us down because there's never several players doing anything dangerous at once.

How much the blame lies at Pulis' feet and how much at the players', well that's up for discussion. But placing the blame on Rondon OR Robson-Kanu is just pointless for me when neither get any real service or even passing options. It's a 90 minute slog playing upfront for our team currently and it must really drain the fun out of the game.

Edit: and our fullbacks limit us a great deal in attack whilst we're at it.

Astle1968

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2292 on: June 10, 2017, 09:21:14 PM »

So our top scorer 2 years in a row is doing nothing than making up numbers. It's pretty clear you don't rate the guy at all but you make him sound like Mickey Evans

vrabbit

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2293 on: June 11, 2017, 03:09:03 AM »
Actually Brom I did give you a reply to this probably in January and you said thanks for actually listing some things. I can't summon the energy to trawl back through the pages to find it. I will concede that his form in terms of goal scoring wasn't good enough from Jan onwards. I have said several times since that he missed Phillips more than anyone (service, close support, and the closest thing we have in the 'regular' team to a second striker).
I'll also stick with my view that Rondon needs a month with his feet up - I think he's still on Venezuela duty at the moment and its about 23 days to the start of pre-season.

I agree that he should be resting, it's totally pointless for him to be playing friendlies with Venezuela when we are already have no chance to qualify to next year's WC. This would had been a great opportunity to evaluate other Venezuelan strikers. To make it worse, he had an AWFUL game against Ecuador. Mostly everyone on the pitch that night played bad, but he stood out. Geez.

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2294 on: June 18, 2017, 09:31:47 PM »
Haven't been involved in the discussion at all but think Rondon has a really rough deal trying to play with almost no support from attacking midfielders. That's the end of it for me, he's got some ability, he has good games and bad games - but overall he just has very little to work with. Whether he holds the ball up or not, there's nobody running past him to receive it - backwards is the only way he can ever go.

But, I think that's the biggest problem with our team in general, rarely do our midfielders try to take on a man, rarely do our midfielders make attacking runs, rarely do our midfielders even bother to take two steps away from the opposition marking them. Hell will rain down from the skies before our players actually want the ball and come and show for it, or move into space and give the man on the ball multiple options.

For me, that's it in a nutshell, very limited bravery and willingness to attack, just sideways passes and loitering behind opposition players hoping that they don't get passed to. It's very easy to shut us down because there's never several players doing anything dangerous at once.

How much the blame lies at Pulis' feet and how much at the players', well that's up for discussion. But placing the blame on Rondon OR Robson-Kanu is just pointless for me when neither get any real service or even passing options. It's a 90 minute slog playing upfront for our team currently and it must really drain the fun out of the game.

Edit: and our fullbacks limit us a great deal in attack whilst we're at it.

That last point is the key we do not have any natural full backs. Dawson isn't and Nyom or Brunt are being played out of position. The key is getting a quality left back in . But we have not addressed that problem for years. 

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2295 on: June 23, 2017, 11:49:47 AM »
https://twitter.com/salorondon23/status/878189780386828288

You might want to take a look at this hit the translate button and have a bit of a think  :(
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

vrabbit

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2296 on: June 23, 2017, 05:41:37 PM »
it's soon going to be 3 months of daily protests over there which are averaging about a death/day.

Not the first blatant murder that has occurred, there's no need to be firing pellet guns at short range like that against someone throwing a rock.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2297 on: August 12, 2017, 06:11:37 PM »
Shirt off, straight down the tunnel. Didn't look like he wanted to be on the pitch at all either

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2298 on: August 12, 2017, 06:16:59 PM »
Maybe TP sending him a message that he's not a guaranteed starter and to buck his ideas up.
the regime don't like it man

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2299 on: August 12, 2017, 06:25:06 PM »
Shirt off, straight down the tunnel. Didn't look like he wanted to be on the pitch at all either

Was there footage of this. His body language was off when he came on and he didn't chase like he does. In pre-season he constantly looked up for it. Is he just a massive prima donna and throws strops when he doesn't get a start?!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill