Poll

How do you rate our chances of survival under Allardyce?

Better than under Bilic
Worse than under Bilic
About the same

Author Topic: Chances of survival  (Read 130994 times)

BB74

• Senior Baggie

Chances of survival
« on: December 17, 2020, 04:46:40 PM »
I would say the chances of staying up are now 50/50 as opposed to 80/20 (in the favour of relegation) under Bilic.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

Re: Chances of survival
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 04:54:20 PM »
I've gone better than under Bilic.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 05:14:33 PM »
Chances of survival I feel are better, but, also feel the cost will be less entertaining football.Please prove me wrong on the entertainment side, Sam.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 05:15:40 PM »
Better than under Bilic for me.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 05:20:20 PM »
Better chance of staying up. More cliches and less fun.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 05:22:03 PM »
Chances of survival I feel are better, but, also feel the cost will be less entertaining football.Please prove me wrong on the entertainment side, Sam.

How entertaining out of ten would you say it was under Bilic this season?

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 05:26:50 PM »
Better chance of staying up. More cliches and less fun.

What fun have you had so far this season?

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 06:39:26 PM »
We had some good times.3 nil up against Chelski at one stage.Gave Spuds a run for their money.Rebounded back against Man Chitty.
Let's hope Sam can do the same, but also hang on to some decent results at the final whistle.

cheesyknackers

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 06:45:35 PM »
Ten or so 1-0 wins would keep me happy .

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 06:51:27 PM »
Less entertaining than against Fulham and Southampton?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 06:52:16 PM »
Given Big Sam’s experiences of clubs in our predicament and his pragmatic approach, I think we will have a better chance of survival, which is what it’s about.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2020, 07:03:18 PM »
We had some good times.3 nil up against Chelski at one stage.Gave Spuds a run for their money.Rebounded back against Man Chitty.
Let's hope Sam can do the same, but also hang on to some decent results at the final whistle.

All of those games we played extremely defensively with 10 men behind the ball for the most part. If you liked those games you should have no concern over the entertainment of Big Sam.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2020, 07:22:14 PM »

Fine margins stopped us getting points under Bilic. Blah Blah VAR for example. Albion did put in some spirited performances and we showed an attacking mentality. We all know exactly what the failings are in this shape of this squad. Let's see if Sam can knock us into shape, but don't mind me if I nod off at the performances.

P.S. I would be really delighted to be wrong about the excitement level.

Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2020, 07:36:35 PM »
I'd say a better chance under Sam but it won't be pretty and means we will need another rebuild in a year or two.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Tony Goddens Gloves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2020, 09:24:42 PM »
I’ve gone the same I need to be won over

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2020, 09:29:15 PM »
I'd say a better chance under Sam but it won't be pretty and means we will need another rebuild in a year or two.

The rebuild was going to start on June 1st 2021 when Bilic contract expired and wasnt renewed regardless mate.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2020, 10:15:50 PM »
We'll  be better organised defensively under Sam after he's had time to stamp his methods on the players.
I would say our chances of survival have increased.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2020, 10:26:15 PM »
Much better chance now Sam is here. Billic was always going to go before Christmas, he failed to change his style as predicted and thought we would score more  then the opposition in an open game with a championship squad. We have pace to hit teams on the counter and Peirra to open teams up but first we have to stop conceding sloppy goals. I fully expect some decent defenders coming in the Christmas transfer window.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2020, 10:37:38 PM »
Definitely a better chance than under Bilic. Under Bilic I was 90% sure we'd go down. Now, under Allardyce, 50 / 50. Not sure how great the squad is but if you want a man primarily to keep a team in the top flight Allardyce's track record for doing that is exemplary. 

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2020, 10:56:50 PM »
At the moment, I'm not convinced, hearing a lot of non endearing BS from Sam.

He's expecting some funds in January, not sure the level is going to meet his expectations.

Got a feeling this is going to end in tears.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

tex

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2020, 11:38:05 PM »
This is a strange one, if the board were so set on survival why did we go through the transfer window and leave the team so unbalanced. I felt Bilic was at the end of his time but there just seemed too many other issues to think changing the manager was going to solve the problem. Maybe the transfer kitty and how we spent the money was seen as Bilics problem.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2020, 01:31:07 AM »
I am not at all optimistic that Allardyce will do anything that Bilic would not have. Plainly we will be set up to grind results out be difficult to beat and build on a solid defensive platform. I am less than convinced that the personnel are at the club to do this.

If the squad was imbalanced under Bilic it is no less so under Allardyce just imbalanced in different ways. If the squad wasn't good enough yesterday it isn't good enough today. Yet having just watched Villa play Burnley I think there is a tendency on our part to put other team's squads on a pedestal and our own in hole.

I would caution against any expectations of a squad overhaul in January I think we are probably looking at a couple loan signings and I don't think that would have been any different had Bilic remained in post. Personally I am discounting the impact of any possible January signings. By the end of January we will have played 9 games and unless we pick up points with this squad our fate will be sealed before any new signing has had chance to lace up their boots. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2020, 01:58:52 AM »
Currently we have poor striking options at our disposal.  Therefore we have to limit goals conceded, it's obvious.  Whether SA can find us a top class striker in January is debateable?  If not then a central midfielder with energy is so important to get.

It will be difficult come the end of the season to have 3 teams worse.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2020, 07:03:44 AM »
I am not at all optimistic that Allardyce will do anything that Bilic would not have. Plainly we will be set up to grind results out be difficult to beat and build on a solid defensive platform. I am less than convinced that the personnel are at the club to do this.

If the squad was imbalanced under Bilic it is no less so under Allardyce just imbalanced in different ways. If the squad wasn't good enough yesterday it isn't good enough today. Yet having just watched Villa play Burnley I think there is a tendency on our part to put other team's squads on a pedestal and our own in hole.

I would caution against any expectations of a squad overhaul in January I think we are probably looking at a couple loan signings and I don't think that would have been any different had Bilic remained in post. Personally I am discounting the impact of any possible January signings. By the end of January we will have played 9 games and unless we pick up points with this squad our fate will be sealed before any new signing has had chance to lace up their boots.

Quite. Firing Slaven was just papering over the cracks.

I don't think it's strikers, finishers that we are lacking. Look at our side of a decade ago. We have never replaced Gera, Mulumbu, Yacob, Ollsen and Brunt.

Really, really, really. Time to stop blaming the coaches.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

boingboing1!

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2020, 10:04:06 AM »
I believe that we will stay up, maybe another centre half and striker in January and we'll be okay!