Author Topic: Best supported clubs in Championship  (Read 10505 times)

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Best supported clubs in Championship
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2019, 12:56:13 PM »
Don't forget we have lost a whole front row to advertising in the lower East Stand so our capacity is lower than last season.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2019, 01:01:05 PM »
Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Our average attendance is down so far from last season, while the three promoted teams (Vile, Norwich, Sheff Utd) were all ahead of us in the table. The three teams that came down, Cardiff, Huddersfield, and Fulham all have smaller grounds and smaller followings.

We've essentially gone up 3 places by default.

No it isn't. Our average last season in league games was 23,024. This year so far it is 23,803. Average home attendance 22,187 last season, this season 22,426 so far. Worth baring in mind also that the away allocation is down this season plus we've lost a local Derby with Villa going up.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 01:03:55 PM by Atomic »

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2019, 01:04:31 PM »
I don't even entertain coming to the 'prestige" games because I feel that the chance of getting adjacent tickets is too remote for a 'casual'

I would love to get tickets for me and my mate in the Smethwick but there is zero chance of that, when we do come nowadays its in the east stand and against the less fashionable / successful opponents.

I know full well that we are not typical but i imagine that there are quite a few casuals who are put off by the size of the stadium.

Question (for I imagine Atomic), if you take out restricted view and boxes etc, how many "available" seats are there in the ground?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2019, 01:19:34 PM »
Don't forget we have lost a whole front row to advertising in the lower East Stand so our capacity is lower than last season.

Not forgetting the 800 plus seats that have been taken out due to advertising in the away end. So technically now our capacity is around the 25,500 mark

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2019, 01:26:56 PM »
I don't even entertain coming to the 'prestige" games because I feel that the chance of getting adjacent tickets is too remote for a 'casual'

I would love to get tickets for me and my mate in the Smethwick but there is zero chance of that, when we do come nowadays its in the east stand and against the less fashionable / successful opponents.

I know full well that we are not typical but i imagine that there are quite a few casuals who are put off by the size of the stadium.

Question (for I imagine Atomic), if you take out restricted view and boxes etc, how many "available" seats are there in the ground?

The working capacity this season on figures should be 23,691 (home areas only). There are around a couple of hundred restricted view seats taking it to 23,490 ish. There maybe the odd damaged seat etc, then reserved seats for scouts etc. Not sure on the exact number of season ticket holders but it's around 18,200.

Hope that helps.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2019, 01:30:45 PM »

No it isn't. Our average last season in league games was 23,024. This year so far it is 23,803. Average home attendance 22,187 last season, this season 22,426 so far. Worth baring in mind also that the away allocation is down this season plus we've lost a local Derby with Villa going up.

The website from the very first post on the topic ( https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/championship/attendances ) gives our average attendance so far this season as 23,723. For 2018/19 it's 24,198.

The 23,723 figure is also given by the Birmingham Mail here https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-brom-attendance-leeds-forest-14835716

The 24,198 figure also given here https://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-championship-2018-2019/1/ and here https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsbirmingham/how-west-broms-crowds-this-season-compare-to-aston-villa-birmingham-city-leeds-and-more-rivals/ar-BBM0CLt

So that would put it down from last season.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2019, 01:33:37 PM »
The website from the very first post on the topic ( https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/championship/attendances ) gives our average attendance so far this season as 23,723. For 2018/19 it's 24,198.

The 23,723 figure is also given by the Birmingham Mail here https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-brom-attendance-leeds-forest-14835716

The 24,198 figure also given here https://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-championship-2018-2019/1/ and here https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsbirmingham/how-west-broms-crowds-this-season-compare-to-aston-villa-birmingham-city-leeds-and-more-rivals/ar-BBM0CLt

Those figures are wrong.

I'm not going through all last seasons figures but this season:

Millwall 24,305
Reading 21,803
Blackburn 23,792
Hudds 23,977 (amended from original figure confirmed by Tony Matthews)
Cardiff 25,140

Average: 23,803
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 01:37:09 PM by Atomic »

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2019, 01:46:23 PM »
OK I did it  :D.

Last Season

25,901   Albion v Bolton Wanderers
22,753   Albion v Queens Park Rangers
25,183   Albion v Stoke City
22,051   Albion v Bristol City
23,563   Albion v Millwall
22,865   Albion v Reading
22,848   Albion v Derby County
23,820   Albion v Blackburn Rovers
25,661   Albion v Leeds United
20,949   Albion v Brentford
26,513   Albion v Aston Villa
25,555   Albion v Wigan Athletic
26,548   Albion v Sheffield Wednesday
26,544   Albion v Norwich City
24,863   Albion v Middlesbrough
22,691   Albion v Nottingham Forest
24.928   Albion v Sheffield United
23,973   Albion v Ipswich Town
20,282   Albion v Swansea City
24,789   Albion v Birmingham City
25,088   Albion v Preston North End
23,501   Albion v Hull City
23,596   Albion v Rotherham United

Average 23,024

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2019, 06:37:03 PM »

To be fair it’s only down from last season because the away supports that have come haven’t filled the away end . Apart from Saturday anyway

yorkshire baggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2019, 06:39:46 PM »
Become a member. You can get tickets in the Brummie for any game. Not sure about availability for the Smethwick. To be honest. But if you want to see a game you can. Sounds like feeble excuse not to bother to me.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2019, 06:48:27 PM »
Become a member. You can get tickets in the Brummie for any game. Not sure about availability for the Smethwick. To be honest. But if you want to see a game you can. Sounds like feeble excuse not to bother to me.

Its not a case of not bothering, a home game is a major commitment (time and financial for me, which I have documented on here before) I agree that I am far from being the most committed, but feeble is not the case I can assure you.

Albion Family !!!

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2019, 07:38:27 PM »
Love the club dearly and if I lived even an hour away I’d look to get a season ticket. But I live near Glasgow so fuel, tickets, food etc is just too much for me when you add to it being a full day away from the family.

I was there on Saturday and took my son, but it costs a fortune.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2019, 08:19:32 PM »
Love the club dearly and if I lived even an hour away I’d look to get a season ticket. But I live near Glasgow so fuel, tickets, food etc is just too much for me when you add to it being a full day away from the family.

I was there on Saturday and took my son, but it costs a fortune.

I'm only in norfolk but thats bad enough, Glasgow is a huge commitment, I doff my cap to you mate!
Albion Family !!!

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2019, 09:00:19 AM »
To be fair it’s only down from last season because the away supports that have come haven’t filled the away end . Apart from Saturday anyway

Yeah, that's a big part of it. Cardiff were the first one to bring a decent size following.

I was just illustrating that often things like this can be misleading, especially in a division where 6 teams change every season.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2019, 07:37:57 PM »
Yeah, that's a big part of it. Cardiff were the first one to bring a decent size following.

I was just illustrating that often things like this can be misleading, especially in a division where 6 teams change every season.
Apologies for going slightly off topic, but this post made me think...
It is possible (would need a set of circumstances to happen) to play twelve matches (6 At the end of season, 6 at the begging of the next ) against different opposition because the 3/3 prem up down and the 3/3 league 1 up down ....that’s without the stayers 😲
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2019, 08:40:12 PM »
Apologies for going slightly off topic, but this post made me think...
It is possible (would need a set of circumstances to happen) to play twelve matches (6 At the end of season, 6 at the begging of the next ) against different opposition because the 3/3 prem up down and the 3/3 league 1 up down ....that’s without the stayers 😲

Do you mean could a club play the 3 promoted teams and the 3 relegated teams at the end of one season then play the 6 new teams to their division consecutively at the start of the new season? Yes they could. I can't be bothered doing the probability mathematics though.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2019, 09:40:50 PM »

Do you mean could a club play the 3 promoted teams and the 3 relegated teams at the end of one season then play the 6 new teams to their division consecutively at the start of the new season? Yes they could. I can't be bothered doing the probability mathematics though.
I did 😀
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Brummie Road

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2019, 06:32:15 AM »
Not forgetting the 800 plus seats that have been taken out due to advertising in the away end. So technically now our capacity is around the 25,500 mark

I do think it''s a shame we appear to be restricting the away support to a max of around 2000 seats.

Appreciate for many Championship clubs that will be more than enough but for the likes of Cardiff, Leeds, Blues, Sheff Wed etc, etc, it seems a shame to restrict allocations when the bigger away support turnouts really enhance the whole stadium atmosphere.

Also as an Albion away fan travelling to an away stadium, I'd be a bit hacked off to see loads of empty seats covered by advertising if it meant many Albion fans had missed out due to a restricted allocation.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2019, 08:41:49 AM »
I do think it''s a shame we appear to be restricting the away support to a max of around 2000 seats.

Appreciate for many Championship clubs that will be more than enough but for the likes of Cardiff, Leeds, Blues, Sheff Wed etc, etc, it seems a shame to restrict allocations when the bigger away support turnouts really enhance the whole stadium atmosphere.

Also as an Albion away fan travelling to an away stadium, I'd be a bit hacked off to see loads of empty seats covered by advertising if it meant many Albion fans had missed out due to a restricted allocation.

I think 2000 is enough mate. There was no lack of atmosphere last Saturday, it was the best it's been since the Villa play off game. We need more atmospheres like that.

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2019, 12:36:43 PM »

I wonder if the Blues will now give us a pooh allocation out of spite?

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2019, 01:43:41 PM »
'Best Supported Clubs in the Championship'.

Sounds like an exercise in willy wanging.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2019, 12:19:34 AM »
Slightly surprised we are as low as 8th in average attendances for the Championship, below clubs such as Sheff Utd and Stoke.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/championship/attendances

Build and they will come.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2019, 08:35:44 AM »
Build and they will come.

If we had a wait list for season tickets I would agree, but we don't.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA